Author Topic: telnet-ing into my Siglent SDG 2042x  (Read 3564 times)

Offline Dan MoosTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
telnet-ing into my Siglent SDG 2042x
« on: September 06, 2020, 01:08:27 am »
firmware is 2.01.01.23R3

trying to use Telnet with PuTTY. I think you know what I'm up to  ;)

following both a youtube video, and the dummy intructions in the original Siglent thread.

When I get to the LAN setup page of the Siglent, the IP is 10 . 11 .230 (no idea if spaces matter).

when I turn DHCP "on", almost all the soft key menu items disappear, and the IP number (along with the gateway and subnet mask) go blank. only options are to turn DHCP "off", or cancel. In the video, the IP changes to the number he enters into puTTY. I get blanks.

Am I missing something?

« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 01:10:17 am by Dan Moos »

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
Re: telnet-ing into my Siglent SDG 2042x
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 02:54:57 am »
Are you plugging the sig gen into a router/hub/something or directly to your computer's ethernet port?  DHCP should make the numbers go blank because it allows the upstream device to assign you an IP, but this requires the network to be assigning them.  Your IP address is also missing a number, ipv4 should always be four numbers separated by periods, from 0-255 each.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 03:08:17 am »
Are you plugging the sig gen into a router/hub/something or directly to your computer's ethernet port?  DHCP should make the numbers go blank because it allows the upstream device to assign you an IP, but this requires the network to be assigning them.  Your IP address is also missing a number, ipv4 should always be four numbers separated by periods, from 0-255 each.

sorry, i mis-typed the IP. It's 10.11.9.230 with dhcp "off"

I'm plugging directly to my laptop.  Should I plug into the router?

Alas, I think the firmware I'm using is too new to allow the hack, and Siglent seems to no longer offer the version that does.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 03:48:40 am »
What's the IP address of your laptop? Is it also 10.11.9.xxx ?

Can you "ping" the Siglent?

I would use at least a switch to connect your laptop and Siglent. Or plug both into your router.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 06:07:24 am »
The quickest way to get this done is to downgrade to 6.1.26, do the memory dump, get the keys and just enter them directly into the scope.  Then re-upgrade to 6.1.35R2.  All the files are available on the Siglentna website.
:-//
What does DSO firmware have to do with the SDG2042X ?
Maybe you didn't read the topic title ?

Alas, I think the firmware I'm using is too new to allow the hack, and Siglent seems to no longer offer the version that does.
First step is to get a reliable LAN connection. Period.
Best done with a connection to and via your LAN and not via a peer to peer connection although this can be done but it is more involved.
You first need know your LAN Gateway IP and Subnet address to enter into the instruments LAN configuration fields then also assign an IP to the instrument within the range of allowable IP addresses for your LAN.
Then save it to the instrument from within the instruments menu.
All this ^ can be made somewhat simpler if you have limited LAN skills by enabling the instruments DHCP where the instrument request the LAN info from your router and even assign a free IP address.
Once IP is assigned and known, DHCP can be disabled and the LAN info saved.

Now armed with the instruments IP this can be enter into  your LAN connected PC for reliable connections to the instrument.

On the Siglent website there is even advice on Tenet:
https://siglentna.com/application-note/verification-lan-connection-using-telnet/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 09:30:07 am »
sorry, i mis-typed the IP. It's 10.11.9.230 with dhcp "off"

I'm plugging directly to my laptop.  Should I plug into the router?

FFS don't make direct connection to the PC.  :palm:  If you don't know networking, use a router/switch to connect both devices. Make sure the router is providing a DHCP IP to the instrument and that you are able to ping it from the PC before trying anything else.

Siglent hasn't done any limitation in newer FWs. The problem is all in your connection configuration.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2020, 02:09:49 pm »
What does DSO firmware have to do with the SDG2042X ?
Maybe you didn't read the topic title ?

Clearly not carefully enough!  :)

OP:  Apparently I don't know my scope from my AWG, but I have both and they're both -H versions now.  I don't recall the exact details for the AWG, but it was also a downgrade/hack/upgrade procedure.  I think  the 2.01.01.23R3 is what you want, but read this thread and see if it has the information  you need.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sdg2042x-hack-door-closed/
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 02:27:13 pm by bdunham7 »
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2020, 03:26:14 pm »
Ok, successfully connected to the unit via LAN. Probably obvious to you guys, but I don't know a thing about Ethernet. I now get the login prompt  as I should.

As I thought, the oldest firmware currently available on the Siglent site is still too new.

Oldest they have is 2.01.01.23R3

Will attempt to find either the older firmware, or that hacked version a forum member created.

Currently working links to either would be nifty too!

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2020, 04:00:14 pm »
Ok, successfully connected to the unit via LAN. Probably obvious to you guys, but I don't know a thing about Ethernet. I now get the login prompt  as I should.

As I thought, the oldest firmware currently available on the Siglent site is still too new.

Oldest they have is 2.01.01.23R3

Will attempt to find either the older firmware, or that hacked version a forum member created.

Currently working links to either would be nifty too!

Read that whole thread carefully, there are still-good links to original firmware as far back as 2.01.01.15R2.  Also read the links to other threads, especially by ShaneEEV.  I can't give you anything more specific because it has been a while and what worked for me--if I even remembered it correctly--may not work for you now.  Mine worked at the time and still does, but I have a bogus serial number displayed. 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2020, 04:47:49 pm »
UPDATE:

Success!

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2020, 05:57:27 pm »
UPDATE:

Success!

Perhaps share the  details for the next person who tries this?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2020, 10:53:07 pm »
Ditched telnet. Used a usb connection and NI-VISA to get in. Used a magic SCPI command that basically does the hack for you. Was gifted the magic SCPI command, and don't want to share it (or the gifter) without permission.

Offline Thermodynamics

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2020, 09:29:19 pm »
I can't access telnet either.

I'm on the latest firmware (2.01.01.35R3B2) and presumably the latest hardware (02-02-00-40-00 ), connects to LAN fine. No response on port 23, SCPI prompt on 5024.

I assume if I downgrade telnet will start to work and I guess I'll need to do that anyway to login without a pword and corrupt the license reference, I'd much rather do this 'hack' with SCPI commands if you are willing to share?

Offline mjkuwp

• Supporter
  • mechanical engineering defector
    • The Mz Lab
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2020, 10:36:17 pm »
are you all trying the "ping"command first?  This is the first check I do with LAN connected instruments, open Windows powershell (or of course terminal on Linux) and
ping "192.168.0.xx" or whatever your numbers are, these vary.  Look at the instruments screen to find what ip address was assigned so you know what to ping.

I had one instrument that didn't like using a static IP address so I used the router to fix it to a certain value.  With this, each instrument can be set to use DHCP and really that is the easiest.

the instrument can be plugged into your router with an ethernet cable.  If you don't have enough ports - likely - you will need to add a switch.

My setup is at my own home, so I log into the router's settings and in the DHCP configuration settings I have a place where I can pick one of the attached devices and assign it a permanent IP address based on its MAC address.  Example, my Rigol power supply is always 192.168.0.70    The router is 192.168.0.1    another of my computers is 192.168.0.2 and so on....

I've also connected 1:1 between a computer and an instrument but this is harder to do.

one last thing, when I am working from home and I go onto my company's VPN then I can no longer access these instruments at home - which makes sense because why should there be a direct connection between my company's network and my one at home.

Offline Thermodynamics

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2020, 02:18:36 pm »
Yes, I can connect to port 5024 and see a SCPI prompt, and a PING works as expected.

Offline Thermodynamics

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2020, 09:30:21 pm »
So I went the downgrade firmware route.

Not all Siglents regional sites have old enough firmware's available or listed. Some sites however enable you to browse the server for the file you need. I found SDG2000_V200R001B01D01P17R5.ADS, this is the oldest firmware the units will allow a downgrade to from the menu in a standard way. This is true as of this week on a unit that shipped with SDG2000X_2.01.01.35R3B2.ADS

So downgraded to SDG2000_V200R001B01D01P17R5.ADS, the unit picked up the telnet request, straight in as ROOT and then I followed the instructions:

Guide for Dummies

1. Plug in ethernet cable and turn on unit
2. Press Utility -> Page 1/2 -> Interface -> LAN Setup -> DHCP ON
3. On you computer telnet (Windows use Putty, OS X and Linux can just use telnet on the CLI) to the IP Address that's displayed. (If you need to manually specify the port it's 23)
4. mount -o remount,rw ubi2_0 /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0
5. cp /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/NSP_system_info.xml /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/NSP_system_info.xml.orig
6. vi /usr/bin/siglent/firmdata0/NSP_system_info.xml
7. Use the down arrow to navigate to the line which has '<license><bandwidth_update_license>xxxx</bandwidth_update_license></license>'
8. Press dd to delete the line. Press ESC. Type :wq then hit enter (write quit)
9. Turn unit off and on again

then back up to SDG2000X_2.01.01.35R3B2.ADS after a reboot and all is well. If you are using for commercial work, please buy the 120Mhz. :-+

https://filebin.net/at5pztf50y0jkrtu/2042Xfirmwares.rar?t=gculfjya

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf