Author Topic: USB testers: T18 / UD18 / UD24  (Read 8665 times)

Offline zachikTopic starter

• Contributor
USB testers: T18 / UD18 / UD24
« on: December 14, 2020, 05:17:31 pm »
I was looking for a USB tester, and came across 3 interesting looking models. All are available on Ali Express, some available on Amazon and eBay as well.
The 3 models I was considering are the T18, UD18 and UD24.
Not a whole lot reliable info available online, and no comparisons between those 3 models at all.
So, I was hoping the smart folks here have some opinions and experience with those little gadgets...

Offline BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
Re: USB testers: T18 / UD18 / UD24
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 05:58:26 pm »
Good Morning Zachik,  I have several:  FNB28, KJ, AT34 and the YB26VA.  The YB26VA is the one I use the most, as the readout is easy on my old eyes, all the others I need a magnifying glass.  However the AT34 is the most accurate, as tested against my Keithley 2000 multimeter. :-/O

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2020, 11:37:51 pm »
Good Morning Zachik,  I have several:  FNB28, KJ, AT34 and the YB26VA.  The YB26VA is the one I use the most, as the readout is easy on my old eyes, all the others I need a magnifying glass.  However the AT34 is the most accurate, as tested against my Keithley 2000 multimeter. :-/O
Looks like (and I could be wrong) your testers are "previous generation".  The testers I was referring to seems to be both more sophisticated, as well as bigger displays!  Especially the UD24 with its 2.4" display. Also, both the UD24 and T18 have bluetooth capability, so you actually use your iPhone / Android Phone / tablet as the (huge) display :)
I was hoping someone has actual experience to recommend one of those (or which to avoid like the plague...)

Offline BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2020, 03:09:23 pm »
Good Morning again Zachik,    I don't know if mine are 'previous generation',
but I acquired them all within the last month.  They all do pretty much the
same thing, but none of them have instructions that make any sense, and
they are far from intuitive.  All have that one little button that does everything and all you have to do is figure out the number and order of the long presses and the short presses.  Let me know if you find one that has
understandable instructions not written in Chinglish.  Good luck in your search.

Offline BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 06:23:37 pm »
     Good Morning, here's another one mentioned here:
TC66C

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2020, 06:51:56 pm »
Let me know if you find one that has understandable instructions not written in Chinglish.  Good luck in your search.
Bill - the UD24 manual can be downloaded from:
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/9r973dly7uvui/UD24

From a very quick glance - seems to be written in "real" English ;)

Offline BILLPOD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2020, 08:48:47 pm »
Thank you very much Zachik.  I am impressed with this model and will probably order one.  I most like that it has 'Turn-Off' capabilities, as I have
some devices that always draw a couple hundred milliamps no matter how
long they have been charging.  I also like the 'Battery Internal Resistance'
feature.  But what I like the most is the readable instructions.
Thanks again. :-/O

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 08:56:49 pm »
Thank you very much Zachik.  I am impressed with this model and will probably order one.  I most like that it has 'Turn-Off' capabilities, as I have
some devices that always draw a couple hundred milliamps no matter how
long they have been charging.  I also like the 'Battery Internal Resistance'
feature.  But what I like the most is the readable instructions.
Thanks again. :-/O
Yeah - out of the models I have asked about (in the 1st post of this thread), I am most likely to just order this UD24 model.
I like the form factor and the 2.4" display!

Offline h3ndr1k

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2021, 03:07:09 pm »
Hi! Did you order the UD24? Do you like it?

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2021, 06:20:45 pm »
I did order the UD24, and I do like it.
Having said that, I only had a reason to use it once or twice... so definitely not a heavy user here ;-)

Offline dophuc

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2021, 03:11:48 am »
USB tester T18, UD24 seems a bit expensive and functions quite limited. You should check out USB testers like Fnirsi FNB48, AVHzY CT3 (Shizuku, KT002). These USB Test types have many functions, can test charging protocol (QC 2, QC3, PD, AFC, FCP, PPS...), trigger Volt and current, check ripple noise, cable resistance, check battery capacity, run LUA script... FNB48, AVHzY CT3 also has PC software to record Charging data, voltage and current information, firmware upgrade...

« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 03:33:21 am by dophuc »

Offline sstepane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2022, 06:37:30 pm »
Hi,

I wonder if anyone came across some sort of usb tester (mostly power/qc/pd) made by not chinese company. Not that I don't like chinese stuff, but most of these atorch/ruiden/etc is a "single day" device, meaning it was made (all presumably by avhzy) with some very raw software, not even closely well thought or well work tested and left that way with no support or software/firmware updates. I've tried many of those and lord, I'd pay 100-300 usd for a really normal device like West Mountain Radio CBA Electronic Load instead of Atorch whatever electronic load.
CBA does not have any kind of display, but it works like a horse with normal software, it's stable and highly useable for repeated tasks.
While almost every usb tester made these days has many whistles and blows but lacks normal straight forward idea for what's it is made for (along with software).
Sorry for ranting, struggling with this particular piece of equipment...

Offline joric

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2023, 10:59:02 am »
I have Atorch J7-C (UC96). I am quite certain that it does NOT have PD trigger.

Are there any testers with both built-in triggers and DC connectors?

There are UD18 and UD24 with PD connectors but they do NOT have PD/QC voltage triggers (sauce: UD18, UD24).

Which is kind of sad, considering they HAVE barrel DC connectors.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2023, 05:57:49 pm by joric »

Offline JohnC

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2024, 12:19:47 pm »
Are there any testers with both built-in triggers and DC connectors?

There are UD18 and UD24 with PD connectors but they do NOT have PD/QC voltage triggers (sauce: UD18, UD24).

Which is kind of sad, considering they HAVE barrel DC connectors.

Necro of an old unanswered post...

No, it's not sad. USB QC and PD Triggering is specifically for USB. There are no data lines on a DC barrel jack, and hence absolutely no way of triggering anything on a simple 2-wire power line.

A Power Supply with a DC Barrel connector cannot be triggered, so why would you need to have "triggering" in a tester for such power supplies?

To make the trigger work, you must be connected to a USB power supply (with suitable capability) then supply the Trigger signals to the power source via the USB Data (for QC) or CC (for PD) connections. Thus you must use a USB cable that is suitable for that task, you cannot make that connection to the power supply using a DC Barrel cable.

If you have a "non-triggering" meter like a UD18/24 you can insert it into the corresponding USB power outlet port, then insert a QC or PD Trigger into one of the available OUTPUT ports on the same tester. Alternatively, you can use a pass-thru trigger and place the tester after the Trigger, with the load hanging off the tester.
- This will allow you to pass the required QC/PD trigger signals back into the power supply and make it switch voltages.

In the case of the UD you could plug in a trigger to the USB Output, then draw a load from DC5.5 Output or Type-C Output. Or plug the trigger into Type-C Output then draw the load from USB Output or DC5.5 Output.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf