Author Topic: Looking to buy an Oscilloscope  (Read 2977 times)

Offline lesyriadTopic starter

Looking to buy an Oscilloscope
« on: February 03, 2017, 07:11:49 am »
So I'm finally going to buy my own oscilloscope for home :)  However I have been doing some research and would love some input on what to get.  First off, needs to be purchased through Amazon.  I am trying to find one with a logic analyzer as well.  Also hoping to have computer connectivity (with scripting capabilities).  Probably doesnt need to be over 100Mhz.  2 channels (4 would be nice).  Hoping to get it for ~$700usd but can go up to $2000 if the scope is worth it.  Thanks for any recommendations you have :)

Tried searching but couldnt find my exact requirements.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2017, 07:16:11 am by lesyriad »

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
Re: Looking to buy an Oscilloscope
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 07:23:12 am »
rigol mso1074 is a good starting scope, and you can hack it to 100MHz and full decode modules.
better, an MSO2074 you can get higher in frequency again by hacking it.
some here will recommend you a siglent, some decoding module are free part of a bundle but it (today) cannot be hacked like the rigol.

The following users thanked this post: lesyriad

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 07:38:04 am »
First off, needs to be purchased through Amazon.
:scared:

Also hoping to have computer connectivity (with scripting capabilities).

Most of them do.

Probably doesnt need to be over 100Mhz.  2 channels (4 would be nice).  Hoping to get it for ~$700usd but can go up to $2000 if the scope is worth it.  Thanks for any recommendations you have :)
R&S HMO1002 si a nice little scope that does all that but you probably can't get it through Amazon and it won't be $700 with logic analyzer.

In that price range there's really not much. Even the Rigol MSO100Z is over $1000 in the 100MHz version.

This thread might help: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/digital-'scope-with-decoding-or-logic-analyser/

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 07:39:07 am »
rigol mso1074 is a good starting scope, and you can hack it to 100MHz and full decode modules.
some here will recommend you a siglent, some decoding module are free part of a bundle but it (today) cannot be hacked like the rigol.

Bear in mind that hacking the MSO isn't easy. You need to open it up and use a JTAG programmer.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 12:24:24 pm »
So I'm finally going to buy my own oscilloscope for home :)  However I have been doing some research and would love some input on what to get.  First off, needs to be purchased through Amazon.  I am trying to find one with a logic analyzer as well.  Also hoping to have computer connectivity (with scripting capabilities).  Probably doesnt need to be over 100Mhz.  2 channels (4 would be nice).  Hoping to get it for ~$700usd but can go up to $2000 if the scope is worth it.  Thanks for any recommendations you have :)

Welcome to the forum.

Have a look at the SDS1102X+, it's 2ch, 100 MHz, 16 ch LA and inbuilt AWG and while current list is $759 they have been on promotion with a 15% discount and Decode suite thrown in free too.
You still have to buy the 16ch LA probe set and the LA software option for $318 but with the promo it should come in under $1k.
There's a thread on them here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1000x-series-oscilloscopes/

And if you can't find them on Amazon then member Saelig offers a EEVblog member discount that you can ask for the code here:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/equipment-discounts-from-saelig/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 01:28:45 am »
First off, needs to be purchased through Amazon.
:scared:

Yeah I know but I have a $1000 amazon gift card and this is what I want to spend it on.

How is the Hantek MSO5202D?  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HYYCY5O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3B23LUIDBFGXA
Is hantek any good?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 04:04:50 am »
This one is the one I referred to earlier but I couldn't find it with a search.  ::)
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Phosphor-Oscilloscope-SIGLENT-SDS1102X/dp/B01L99SCOG/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486263306&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=siglent+technologies+sds1102x%2B

Okay is it hackable to unlock all features?  or do I have to buy a license to use the logic analyzer?

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 04:38:47 am »
This one is the one I referred to earlier but I couldn't find it with a search.  ::)
https://www.amazon.com/Super-Phosphor-Oscilloscope-SIGLENT-SDS1102X/dp/B01L99SCOG/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486263306&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=siglent+technologies+sds1102x%2B

Okay is it hackable to unlock all features? 
No.
or do I have to buy a license to use the logic analyzer?
This model, an X Plus series has the AWG standard, but the present promotion should give you Decode free and it appears in the imagery the 16ch LA HW is included BUT I'd be asking the seller about this and the LA licence to be sure.

Current full list is unit: $759 + LA (HW & SW) $318 + Decode $157 but the promo carves quite a bit off this....15% off the base unit and Decode free.

http://www.siglentamerica.com/pdxx.aspx?id=4688&T=2&tid=1

When I had a look on Amazon before I see EEVblog member Siglent America has a shop there too so you could also contact them for some Amazon deal.
Tell them I sent you.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf