Author Topic: Tektronix AFG1022 Arb Function Generator 25MHZ  (Read 17539 times)

Offline menengroneTopic starter

• Contributor
Tektronix AFG1022 Arb Function Generator 25MHZ
« on: September 22, 2015, 07:50:50 pm »
So, My AFG1022 arrive this is my first impression:

Yes is Chinese made, plastic case, front buttons are good, in general nothing different to others brands.
Fan is noisily, more louder of my 25 years old HP8116A.
Works very fine in standalone mode.

Now starts the funny things of Tektronix, Tek-Visa do not support the model.
NI-Visa until now not support too, so forget LabView, no drivers IVI or others.
The recommended software for generate waveform - ArbExpress (2013) not connect with this model, device is not in the list of models.

So, you are restrict to MathLab and out of grid.

Sincerely I never expect this kind of mistake from Tektronix, Tektronix says that the instrument is for students and low cost.(US$ 700,00)

Searching in Internet I found this in Tektronix Forum, Tektronix Application engineer said:

"ArbExpress is free (no-cost) software. It is covered under our Software Download Agreement: http://www.tek.com/software/software-download-agreement

ArbExpress is only intended to introduce the concept of arbitrary waveforms. typically, customers use MATLAB or Python for advanced waveform synthesis. Since these are already fantastic tools, I personally don't see any way we could improve them even if we charged for ArbExpress."

No easy way to integrate with other instruments by usb, gpib or ethernet. Automation measurement ........

Dave make a review. maybe Tektronix update Visa and ArbExpress.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:16:18 pm by menengrone »

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
Re: Tektronix AFG1022 Arb Function Generator 25MHZ
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 09:52:45 pm »
So, My AFG1022 arrive this is my first impression:

Just out of curiosity, why did you buy the Tek AFG1022? Price and specs don't look particular attractive to me, plus (as you found out) it's poorly supported by Tek.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 10:03:29 pm »
I'd return it ASAP! From the looks of it it is a rebatched cheap Chinese generator. The basic specs are almost similar to the Siglent SDG1000 series.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 12:47:13 am »
I looked other brands of Arbitrary Function Generators, but I worked for decades with Tektronix, HP/Agilent, Keithley, for me are top quality, precision and lifetime, so until now.
I have some equipment of 20 years old working better that some new ones in the market.
Look some videos of Dave.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 01:04:34 am by menengrone »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 01:01:08 am »
I'm sure they can still deliver top quality you are used to but you have to avoid the low end equipment where they try to compete on price.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 01:18:33 am »
I Know, so I am surprise with Tek because they launch one product without software support and for many years I had the best tek support. Always tek is more expensive that others, but better quality, compare oscilloscopes.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 01:23:25 am »
I'm not so sure about the oscilloscopes. Their low end gear (starting with the TDS200 series and going up to the TDS3000/DPO2000) is pretty bad. In general the UI is pretty slow. I have owned a few Tektronix scopes over the years but I switched to Agilent/Keysight.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 01:44:53 am »
Probably you not had any problem with them, UI slow but worked fine. I am talking about this. Hp/Agilent in oscilloscopes is my second option. Expensive both.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 09:22:55 am »
Always tek is more expensive that others, but better quality, compare oscilloscopes.

That was the case maybe 15 years ago but is no longer true. Tek was the leading manufacturer in analog oscilloscopes, but their digital scopes were mostly pretty mediocre, and these days Tek is way behind Agilent/Keysight, LeCroy or R&S in quality, support and even more so in technology. With few exceptions these days with Tek you're paying mostly for the name.

For entry level scopes go Rigol (if you can live with some of the quirks) or Agilent/Keysight or Hameg/R&S, and for mid-range or high-end scopes go for LeCroy (which is pretty much the leader in digital scopes).

For AWGs, if you want a decent entry level one go for Rigol or Siglent, and if you want something more advanced go for Agilent/Keysight (if you want highend then I'd also consider Tek).

« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:30:07 am by Wuerstchenhund »

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 12:18:02 pm »
Thanks a lot guys, I really like Agilent\keysight (HP) many of instruments that I use has custom HP Ic's, top of technology, but I had few bad experience with support and repair, is my opinion, I don't know today, but if you have any problem with Agilent\keysight the price of repair, buy a new one.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 12:19:53 pm by menengrone »

Offline vinicius.jlantunes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 01:10:08 pm »
menegrone, out of curiosity, where did you buy it? Being from Brazil I can appreciate your frustration as these things are even more expensive down here compared to 1st world.

To others suggesting Rigol / Siglent: unfortunately we don't have those available around here (to my knowledge). They would most certainly be a better deal, but as soon as you have to import it you gonna be  hit with HUGE (I really mean it, HUGE) import taxes and all sorts of hassle.

Let's just say doing EE in Brazil has it's "particularities"  :-DD

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 01:51:44 pm »
Ok guys, few things of why I paid more: 2015 model, Tektronix.

Rigol DG1022A Amplitude Min 2mV - Tek 1mV (+- 500uV) and DC 1mV (measure 1,013 mV 50R load)
Rigol 100 Msa Tek 125 Msa
Rigol accuracy 1yr 100ppm tek 1ppm
Rigol Amplitude accuracy 0.2%+2mV tek 0,1%+1mV
Rigol SqrWave Rise/Fall <20ns Jitter 6ns+0.1%  Tek <12ns Jitter <1ns
Rigol ch1 14bits ch2 10bits  Tek 14bits both
Rigol US$ 499
And so one.
If you check Siglent is close or worst to rigol.

I open this post because Tek fails in software support for this model, but the specification of model in this class is better, may be not in utilities I am talking about precision accuracy.
Today you use all instrument talking by GPIB, USB, Ethernet, Labview you get results of simulation or repetitive measurement or ghaphics easily. Mathlab not.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 03:17:18 pm by menengrone »

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 01:59:48 pm »
Hi Vinicius, yes we have a lot of trouble with import taxes here, but you get this class of AFW from Rigol or Siglent here, prices is high, but Tek and Agilent/Keysight has huge support in brazil, Rigol and Siglent have only representative office or one Importer company. I bought from a Tektronix representative seller.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:21:17 pm by menengrone »

Offline vinicius.jlantunes

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 02:07:42 pm »
Oh sure, agree with that. I have an entry level Agilent scope (DSO1072B) which is just a Rigol rebadge, but sold as Agilent. Nevertheless, the support I have received from (then) Agilent when I needed was superb! And the price, well, it was equivalent to what the Rigol would cost in USD in other parts of the world, so it was a no-brainer for me (still not sure how they managed to meet such a low price point in our market - that was surely an exception to the norm).

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 05:26:10 pm »
Ok guys, few things of why I paid more: 2015 model, Tektronix.

Rigol DG1022A Amplitude Min 2mV - Tek 1mV (+- 500uV) and DC 1mV (measure 1,013 mV 50R load)
Rigol 100 Msa Tek 125 Msa
Rigol accuracy 1yr 100ppm tek 1ppm
Rigol Amplitude accuracy 0.2%+2mV tek 0,1%+1mV
Rigol SqrWave Rise/Fall <20ns Jitter 6ns+0.1%  Tek <12ns Jitter <1ns
Rigol ch1 14bits ch2 10bits  Tek 14bits both
Rigol US$ 499
And so one.
If you check Siglent is close or worst to rigol.

I open this post because Tek fails in software support for this model, but the specification of model in this class is better, may be not in utilities I am talking about precision accuracy.
Today you use all instrument talking by GPIB, USB, Ethernet, Labview you get results of simulation or repetitive measurement or ghaphics easily. Mathlab not.

If you compare with the DG10200, yes, I would go for the tek. But you should compare to the DG1032Z (http://www.rigol.eu/products/waveform-generators/dg1000z/dg1032z/), which is still cheaper then the tek and much more recent.

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 05:27:23 pm »
I am upload pictures of Tek-Visa e ArbXpress.

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 06:07:01 pm »
Dear _wim_ , look on specification and you find the accuracy is 2ppm and 2mV, close of DG1022A and US$499,00 DG1032Z is €499 +- price in US$ of Tek, this model is only one update.

In the specification of DG1032Z I not found accuracy/year of model, Ops.

So little Msa/s, more utilities, without accuracy and precision, I prefer Know that has 1mV than -+ 2mV+something = what.

But all models communicate with NI-VISA and Agilent I/O library, some times this is a good point in the balance.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 06:13:51 pm by menengrone »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 06:11:05 pm »
The question is: what kind of accuracy do you need? If I need smaller signals than the generator can provide I simply connect a  divide by 10 attenuator to the output of the generator. That probably reduces the noise as well.

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 07:24:58 pm »
Thanks, this AFG is entry level class, so do the basic, I want the instrument make the basic with the precision and accuracy possible for this class of AFG. AFG1022 from Tek is not bad, has good precision/accuracy for the price. And 1ppm/year, calibration in 5 years is enough.

Tektronix needs to solve communications and software edition issue, today nothing live alone.

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 07:52:57 pm »
Dear _wim_ , look on specification and you find the accuracy is 2ppm and 2mV, close of DG1022A
I have no idea were you found this, as it is specified as ±1ppm frequency stability, -125dBc/Hz phase noise in the manual and on the website.  Amplitude accuracy is specified as ±1% of setting ± 1mV, which is indeed worse then the Tek. I agree with nctnico however, what accuracy do you need.

Off course if price is the same in your country, I agree both are a viable option, at it is more a matter of personal preference. I was just making a comment on your original comparison, were you compared the older and cheaper DG1022 to the Tek, and I thought it would be more correct to compare it to the DG1032Z. I am probably biased because I own one of those :-)

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 08:21:34 pm »
Thanks wim, the question you answered 1ppm frequency stability, clock reference, precision is -+ 1mv + 1% of setting (Amplitude and OffSet), rise/fall too.

Very close models, but Rigol don't put in specification drift/year, in the DG1022 is 100 ppm/yr and Tek 1 ppm/yr, is important for calibration, with 1ppm/yr I have 5 years or more to calibrate (5 ppm drift).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:24:13 pm by menengrone »

Online TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 08:28:21 pm »
Looking at the Tek it is really hard to believe they designed it. I smell Siglent or Rigol under that front cover...
VE7FM

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 08:49:00 pm »
Thanks wim, the question you answered 1ppm frequency stability, clock reference, precision is -+ 1mv + 1% of setting (Amplitude and OffSet), rise/fall too.

Very close models, but Rigol don't put in specification drift/year, in the DG1022 is 100 ppm/yr and Tek 1 ppm/yr, is important for calibration, with 1ppm/yr I have 5 years or more to calibrate (5 ppm drift).
The Siglent SDG1000 series can be fitted with a TCXO oscillator. If I where you I'd first determine what kind of accuracy you need! There is no use to compare specs if you don't know what you need. Besides that you can always improve time accuracy by using an external 10MHz frequency reference.

Offline Alfons

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 10:21:04 am »
The Tektronix AFG1022 is identical to the Owon AG1022F. Seems to be, just once try the software from Owon for the device.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 10:48:42 am »
Power oval=power round
Save= interch
DC=mod
function buttons differ.

Certain looks similar. Would explain why the tektronix software doesn't support it?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf