Author Topic: New Siglent SDM4000A series Multimeter  (Read 37884 times)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: New Siglent SDM4000A series Multimeter
« Reply #50 on: August 11, 2024, 07:31:25 pm »
How do you measure the time in ms in such a test?
Do you have a trigger in your ear that triggers it?
Why would anyone need that? It's an audible cue. If it stops giving a beep each second, it's not giving a beep. It's not a precision measurement because it's not a precision function.

The time in ms is given by the SDG1062X. When the pulse according to the AWG is too narrow for the meter to give an audible beep, I dial it to be wider, with ms resolution, unless lower than a millisecond.
In that case you are not really measuring response time (time between detection and giving a beep) but the minimum detection time. While the minimum detection time is useful, it is only 1 part of the big picture. A better test would be to use a microphone and measure the time between the short and the tone being produced by the beeper.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: August 11, 2024, 07:34:22 pm »
How do you measure the time in ms in such a test?
Do you have a trigger in your ear that triggers it?
Why would anyone need that? It's an audible cue. If it stops giving a beep each second, it's not giving a beep. It's not a precision measurement because it's not a precision function.

The time in ms is given by the SDG1062X. When the pulse according to the AWG is too narrow for the meter to give an audible beep, I dial it to be wider, with ms resolution, unless lower than a millisecond.

That's only halve of the story, there still could be a noticeable delay/latency between when the continuity is detected until the beeper beeps.
I'd rate that at least as important.
That is true. I can try and test that although I'm not sure how.

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2024, 07:41:20 pm »
I think these tests are all useless unless they're conducted in an agreed upon and repeatable way. If variables aren't consistent, then comparison results are meaningless.

How is the the AWG set? Share a screenshot.

What is the threshold on the DMM?

I can set my AWG Period to 1ms, 1Vrms, and raise the threshold on the SDM3045X to 1kΩ, and that gives a constant beep.

For everything I tried, the main thing that stopped the SDM3045X from beeping faster is if the threshold is too low compared to the signal from the AWG.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 07:44:14 pm by KungFuJosh »
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

Offline bateau020

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2024, 08:12:26 pm »
About the  KS34465A: mine is on the latest FW, and also by hand testing, it is unusably slow. Maybe I got a hidden (read: SCPI) setting wrong. Found nothing related on the KS itself: one can only set beep on/off, no thresholds, nothing. Maybe another owner can confirm?

But hey, this topic is getting out of hand, it is supposed to be about the SDM4000A. And I'm partly guilty. This beep thing is more a subject for the DMM excel sheet.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: August 11, 2024, 08:39:05 pm »

But hey, this topic is getting out of hand, it is supposed to be about the SDM4000A. And I'm partly guilty. This beep thing is more a subject for the DMM excel sheet.

Maybe we need a separate thread on this subject.
About SDM4000 I think his meaning is to offer a a real challenge to the market players while SDM3065X make competition only by price.
I hope we will see soon if 4000 will succeed.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh, Furna

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #55 on: August 15, 2024, 08:48:58 am »
Hello all,

Any idea when this will be available in EU?
Q4 IIRC.

Will hopefully get a little time with one next week while visiting Siglent HQ.
And I did.  ;D

Release is postponed a little and reasons for such will be obvious in time.  ;)

Nice DMM it is and I spent some time investigating UI usage with Touch and front panel controls and made some suggestions for improvements that were readily accepted.

Unfortunately with many new and new to me instruments to inspect, the chance to use for real measurements did not arise.

However, as these are to use a color and touch display, would the ability to define a readout color benefit those users with color vision restraints/issues ?

We discussed such and need feedback.....
 :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: Mortymore, KungFuJosh, Martin72, symphonystars, Furna

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #56 on: August 15, 2024, 09:27:31 am »
Hmmm, that doesn't look so bad after all... 8)
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Online Furna

• Regular Contributor
  • I still don't know
« Reply #57 on: August 15, 2024, 09:37:18 am »

Indeed it looks good to me.

You know the public of this forum: we like numbers  :)

Unfortunately with many new and new to me instruments to inspect, the chance to use for real measurements did not arise.

You know the public of this forum: we like lists :)

However, as these are to use a color and touch display, would the ability to define a readout color benefit those users with color vision restraints/issues ?

I prefer possibility to use a mouse (attached to a rear USB port) to a touch display ... colors IMHO are always usefull (and I have color vision issues).

Anyway thank you for the nice photo.
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2024, 09:55:01 am »

I prefer possibility to use a mouse (attached to a rear USB port) to a touch display ... colors IMHO are always useful (and I have color vision issues).
It has rear USB A port and while I did not test, all the existing touch instruments support mouse usage so expect these SDM4000A to have this too as webserver capability is offered also.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: Furna

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2024, 10:20:13 am »
Why is showing such a high value on DC Volt auto scale? It was set on High impedance?

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2024, 10:31:55 am »
i would love they get rid of the leading zeroes  ..... on any ranges

Offline hpw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: August 15, 2024, 01:14:45 pm »

Same ugly behavior as on SDM3065...

so they can for shure tell it is a 6.5 digit gear O;)

Offline electr_peter

• Supporter
« Reply #62 on: August 15, 2024, 02:07:30 pm »
Yes, no leading zeros please. And make sure that number font is such, that digits positions do not change even by one pixel across ranges, +/- input (like on LCD segment display). Otherwise displayed numbers will be "jittery".
Different colors are useful. There are immediate applications - 1) better visibility due to customization, 2) different colors for current/voltage (user set, off course), 3) different colors when using multiple DMMs at once.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tautech, KungFuJosh

Offline Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2024, 02:14:36 pm »
Hello all,

Q4 IIRC.

And I did.  ;D

Nice DMM it is and I spent some time investigating UI usage with Touch and front panel controls and made some suggestions for improvements that were readily accepted.

Please, at least no dull yellow with bright green as in SDS800X-HD's traces. Just google "deuteranopy" and look at the images, you will understand our pain  :-DD

The leading zeros tell you the range and limitations of the measurement from a mile away. Won't bitch if they are removed, but they are ugly and useful.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2024, 02:39:16 pm »
i've seen in some software 

the leading digits before the decimal point / separator had some pale blue"ish" color, and after the dot = white ??

the digits don't look like the most ugliest ones in the dm858 ... to mimic  nixies grid tubes,   man this sucks, give me one, i'll toss it right away

this meter does look like an keithley DM7500 serie  loll  only miss the left right arrows buttons, and the front back switch
« Last Edit: August 15, 2024, 04:12:40 pm by coromonadalix »

Online Furna

• Regular Contributor
  • I still don't know
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2024, 08:15:35 am »
Hello all,

Q4 IIRC.

[...]

[...]

Any news regarding the release date in EU?
Thank you.
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2024, 08:30:30 am »
Any news regarding the release date in EU?
A few months yet and reason for the delay will be apparent in time.  :-X

Nice DMM.
I played with one for maybe 30 minutes while at HQ a few weeks back and suggested a couple of minor improvements to the UI they could make.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2024, 08:32:29 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh, Furna

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2024, 02:26:32 pm »
Would be interesting to experience how well this new SDM4000 compares to our KS34465As and DMM6500, the SDM3065X we have is Ok but doesn't get used very often as we prefer the KS or DMM6500 for most use cases.

Nothing generally "wrong" with the SDM3065X but it's compared to the KS and DMM which have decades of refinement and in actual use this shows!!

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2024, 03:26:16 pm »
Would be interesting to experience how well this new SDM4000 compares to our KS34465As and DMM6500, the SDM3065X we have is Ok but doesn't get used very often as we prefer the KS or DMM6500 for most use cases.

Nothing generally "wrong" with the SDM3065X but it's compared to the KS and DMM which have decades of refinement and in actual use this shows!!
I can say the UI is very different and will require some small learning curve for those used to the 3000 models.

SDM4000A has physical, touch/mouse and webserver control, although I didn't get a chance to have it connected to a PC.
I was mainly interested in UI usability using the touch or physical controls in turn and mixing them up a little.
It worked well and IMO just some minor tweaks were needed, mainly for better visibility/highlighting of user selections made.
The option to change the readout digit color was also suggested but not sure if that might be implemented or not, I hope it does.....
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2024, 04:17:22 pm »

I can say the UI is very different and will require some small learning curve for those used to the 3000 models.

SDM4000A has physical, touch/mouse and webserver control, although I didn't get a chance to have it connected to a PC.
I was mainly interested in UI usability using the touch or physical controls in turn and mixing them up a little.
It worked well and IMO just some minor tweaks were needed, mainly for better visibility/highlighting of user selections made.
The option to change the readout digit color was also suggested but not sure if that might be implemented or not, I hope it does.....

We never quite got used to the UI on the 3465X coming from the KS34465A and DMM6500, so maybe the 4000 will behave different/better in this respect. Touch Screen and Webserver should be welcome improvements IMO.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf