Author Topic: Tektronix 2235 repair thread  (Read 24712 times)

Offline ahmedseecs

Re: Tektronix 2235 repair thread
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2020, 10:24:03 pm »
Hi, I have recently acquired a Tektronix 2235A that works fine for couple of minutes but as soon as the oscilloscope warms up the display get defocused. Can you please suggest the possible cause for it.I am quite new it I did try going through the service manual but was unable to understand the cause .
Thanks for your help in advance.

Offline bd139Topic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2020, 10:54:28 pm »
Possibly focus pot failing or the divider resistors. See further up this thread for 510k resistors. Very common problem. Replacement pot is fairly unobtainable. I managed to salvage a pot out of another failed scope (different brand) that worked.

Try replacing the resistors first though. Think it’s 4x 510k ones. You need Vishay VR series which are properly voltage rated as there are quite a few bolts across them!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 10:56:00 pm by bd139 »

The following users thanked this post: mnementh, ahmedseecs

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #77 on: August 09, 2020, 06:31:14 am »
I managed to find a new and unused pot on ebay a while back, so you might get lucky if you keep an eye out.

Here's the resistors (in blue) I replaced in my 2235, I would replace all 6 if they are present in your unit, just to be safe (resistor are cheap anyway, and it means you don't have to open the scope up for this resistor issue again. :) )
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 06:49:36 am by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: ahmedseecs

Offline Ze Pink Panther

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: January 24, 2021, 04:30:24 am »
Good evening everyone,

I hope this thread is not completely dead.
My problem concerns the Tektronix 2235 Service Manual. It is (now) widely available on the net (even fron the Tek web site), but all the versions and copies I've seen have all the same problem: all the folded pages (containing mostly schematics, which makes them even more important and critical) have a scan gap in the middle, which results in column H of the schematics having almost half of it missing.
Can you point me to a source where the SM is _fully_ scanned?

Thanks in advance and regards,
ZPP

Offline TERRA Operative

• Super Contributor
  • Voider of warranties
    • Near Far Media Youtube
« Reply #79 on: January 24, 2021, 08:58:54 am »
I have a copy of all the 2235 foldouts, available here, along with a bunch of other stuff including high quality scans of the manuals:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1L2ptk_0OeEywzHXIV2jmTQYrtf5IzgIH?usp=sharing

It's the 'Tek 2235 Foldouts large.pdf' file
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 09:03:43 am by TERRA Operative »
Where does all this test equipment keep coming from?!?

https://www.youtube.com/NearFarMedia/

The following users thanked this post: Chris56000, bd139, Ze Pink Panther, PEvans

Offline Ze Pink Panther

• Contributor
« Reply #80 on: January 24, 2021, 10:16:45 pm »
Thank you, Sir!
You've made my day...

Best regards,
ZPP

The following users thanked this post: arturmariojr

Offline golashki

• About me
« Reply #81 on: November 23, 2022, 04:12:13 pm »
Hi, I'm new here and I would like to ask you about repairing 2235 :)

I bought a Tektronix 2235 (a great, beautiful oscilloscope!). Unfortunately, the switch on the "Timing board" PCB is damaged. There is a completely cracked "knob insert" connecting the shaft to the Time Base "A" switch. Unfortunately, as a result of my inexperience, while taking the switch apart, I did not notice that the switches (those brown blocks) have no internal limiters and, additionally, they rotate very easily when the shaft is pulled out. In this way, I lost the "axial alignment" of the complex switch between its elements. The "knob insert" itself can be glued together, but it was problematic to assemble the switch to work as intended.

So I have two questions:
- if anyone can sell the whole "Timing board" for 2235/2236 or the working switch itself (or broken, but not taken apart).
The second beginner's question - is how to disassemble such complicated switches to avoid axial shifts of their position? Maybe someone has such experience and may want to share some proven ways how to fix alignment in multi-module switches, etc.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #82 on: November 24, 2022, 02:35:16 pm »
The second beginner's question - is how to disassemble such complicated switches to avoid axial shifts of their position? Maybe someone has such experience and may want to share some proven ways how to fix alignment in multi-module switches, etc.

I have done that a couple times and I used the schematic diagram to realign the cams when I put the switch back together.

Offline golashki

• About me
« Reply #83 on: November 24, 2022, 02:52:55 pm »
Yes, unfortunately, the same path awaits me. I thought there is some way to facilitate this procedure. Thanks :)

Offline Eduardo Millan

« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2023, 01:49:30 am »
Hola, tengo este mismo modelo pero esta quemado el Flyback-Se puede conseguir uno nuevo? Gracias

Offline porter

• Contributor
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2023, 03:57:40 pm »
Thanks folks for the information.
I replaced  C902-C904 (RIFA), C900, and the Power Input Module on my 2235.

One less thing to worry about.

(My little-screw management skills are not so good. I guy I used to work with told me
that the missing screw count indicates the number of people that worked on something.)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf