Author Topic: Fanless DSO?  (Read 5853 times)

Offline djacobowTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
Fanless DSO?
« on: August 10, 2015, 07:32:40 pm »
I've got a Rigol DS2072 (modded to 2202, of course). The fan makes me crazy. I've seen some folks replace fans with quieter ones, but if a lot of the noise is from the airflow itself, does it make much difference?

Does anybody make a completely silent/fanless DSO these days?

I find myself firing up my CRO just to have a quiet workspace.

Offline WVL_KsZeN

• Regular Contributor
Re: Fanless DSO?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 07:37:47 pm »
Ye olde Tektronix DSOs are fanless (those 2.5k sample mem things). Probably one of the few positive things about them :-)

Oh and the R&S HMO1002..
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:43:13 pm by WVL_KsZeN »

Offline PChi

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 07:43:32 pm »
The Rohde and Schwarz / Hameg R&S®HMO1002 brochure states that it's fanless.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 07:46:54 pm »
Don't know if this model is still current: http://www.eevblog.com/2013/06/25/eevblog-487-tekway-dst1102b-oscilloscope-review/

Plus most "handheld" DSOs.

Not sure if all CROs are fanless, the 2465B and 2467B I have use fans. The HP 1980B I have is definitely not fanless!

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 07:55:40 pm »
I used to have a Rigol and the fan drove me crazy. Although that was not the only thing on that piece of shit that irritated me. Now I have a Hameg HMO-3522. It has a fan but I must concentrate on it to hear it. Besides that my Tek 7704 and 7603 do not have fans.
On the other hand, a Rigol has no real fan,  I have a Tek 547, that has a FAN. I bet that If you put it on a scope-car without brakes it leaves you lab on its own ...

Hnmm, another $%^$# Windows 10 edge problem, I can not use the emotiocons.
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline SaabFAN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 08:18:51 pm »
How about USB-Scopes? Combined with a Laptop, they offer good performance, a lot of memory and quietness.
Some units also offer 8 to 16 Channel Logic-Analyzers. 

About moddings the unit: Airflow CAN be a factor in the noise, but the vast majority generally comes from the Fan itself.
Idk what type of fan is installed, but I suspect some 8000 or even 10000RPM 60mm or 40mm fan for about 1€.
Im absolutely sure there are fans on the marker that can deliver similar airflow with a lot less RPM and a lot less noise because of a smaller motor, better design of the fan-blades, a more efficient chassis.
I managed to get my PC both quieter and cooler at the same time by buying better engineered fans. They cost about double to triple what the cheap, noisy ones cost though. But in your case still cheaper than buying a new scope^^

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 11:31:45 pm »
They cost about double to triple what the cheap, noisy ones cost though. But in your case still cheaper than buying a new scope^^

Yes, as you suggest, it makes a lot of sense for me to try this before getting a new unit. Otherwise, I'm happy with the scope.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 03:55:11 am »
They cost about double to triple what the cheap, noisy ones cost though. But in your case still cheaper than buying a new scope^^

Yes, as you suggest, it makes a lot of sense for me to try this before getting a new unit. Otherwise, I'm happy with the scope.
I'm fairly sure there are threads that mention fan replacement on the 2000 series Rigols.
A forum search should find them.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline mathsquid

• Regular Contributor
  • I like math.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 02:16:31 pm »
I have an OWON SDS6062, and if it has a fan, it is silent.

Offline dom0

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 02:42:42 pm »
Not sure if all CROs are fanless, the 2465B and 2467B I have use fans. The HP 1980B I have is definitely not fanless!

I think almost every CRO with a three-figure bandwidth has a fan. Many are rather quiet, especially the Tek ones with shaded-pole motors are quiet after decades. (That really surprised me on my 7623 - "It's already turned on!?!")

Offline Lunasix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 08:12:11 am »
I bought a second hand Tek MSO2024 but I kept my quiet Tek TDS2014 on my desk, MSO is too noisy when it is just to verify simple signals... I was hesitating, but I finally changed the original fan (San Cooler 9A0912H4081, could be 51cfm, 33dbA) with a Noctua NF-B9 (read something good about this model on other post) and the airflow is probably a bit lower (38cfm) but the noise is much lower (18dbA), the scope is now usable even in a quiet room, whithout making me crazy.
What a pitty to have noise problems on such equipments  >:D
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 08:26:52 am by Lunasix »

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2015, 08:32:27 am »
I've seen some folks replace fans with quieter ones, but if a lot of the noise is from the airflow itself, does it make much difference?
You've just basically admitted it will make some difference.

(and it's probably more than you'd imagine).

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 11:20:48 pm »

Did I ever say it would not make a difference?

So, I the Noctua NF-A6x25 arrived today and I installed it in my DS2072 immediately. I don't have any means to quantify the improvement. It is quieter, and the character of the sound is changed. Now it sounds like air moving only mostly, without the higher frequency components from the older fan.

Only time will tell if I'm happy, of course. :-)

I've seen some folks replace fans with quieter ones, but if a lot of the noise is from the airflow itself, does it make much difference?
You've just basically admitted it will make some difference.

(and it's probably more than you'd imagine).

Offline amirm

• Regular Contributor
    • Audio Science Review
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 11:54:38 pm »
My Agilent has a fan but it is dead quiet.  My Rigol signal generator on the other hand, makes obnoxious noise.  So if their scope is the same, you will definitely be much happier with the Agilent/Keysight.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf