Author Topic: Tek TDS2012C Vs Rigol DS1054Z  (Read 5388 times)

Offline davTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Tek TDS2012C Vs Rigol DS1054Z
« on: December 02, 2015, 10:01:54 pm »
Hi,
a few days ago I had a brand new TDS2012C scope for free (this is my first one).
I know it's an expensive unit, so I'm thinking to sell it and buy a Rigol DS1054Z (newer and more powerful, isn't it?)
On the other side I read some issues on the Rigol (freeze bugs and slowness in menus).
So what do you suggest me?
Thx

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
Re: Tek TDS2012C Vs Rigol DS1054Z
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 10:16:02 pm »
Sell and get Rigol if you can.

I wonder how one gets a new expensive scope for free :)
Alex

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 10:31:37 pm »
Hi,
a few days ago I had a brand new TDS2012C scope for free (this is my first one).
I know it's an expensive unit, so I'm thinking to sell it and buy a Rigol DS1054Z (newer and more powerful, isn't it?)
On the other side I read some issues on the Rigol (freeze bugs and slowness in menus).
So what do you suggest me?
Thx
Despite I don't have experience with this particular oscilloscope, I wouldn't go so fast in selling it as it has a higher sampling speed of 2GSa/s on each channel (the DS1054Z has 1GSa/s shared), which may be advantageous depending on what you need your oscilloscope for. Also, it has independent controls (DS1054Z they are multiplexed) and it may have better quality probes. Also, some folks around swear by Tek.

The DS1054Z has other advantages: four channels, intensity grading, decoding, etc.

One additional consideration is that, for the price of the Tek you could get a Rigol's DS2000, which has better specs when compared to the DS1000Z but only two channels.

In any case, several threads around discuss both Rigols.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline davTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 06:47:57 am »
I took a look on tek website.
It seems the TBS1102B replaced the TDS2012C and .... huh ??  the latter (older) is more expensive than the former (newer)!!  ??? ???
Why??

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 06:49:52 am »
Sell it and get a DS2072A

Those teks are built well and have good sampling but the software, UI and memory depth are all that of a potato.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 07:06:21 am »
Presumably the goal was to get some cash back as a result. If you can sell and spend it all back, then there are lots of good options.

Regardless, sell the Tek as new as soon as you can.
Alex

Offline davTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 05:14:45 pm »
Presumably the goal was to get some cash back as a result. If you can sell and spend it all back, then there are lots of good options.

Regardless, sell the Tek as new as soon as you can.

Yes, goal is to get a (hopefully) powerful scope and some cash back, so I don't think to buy a DS2072A.
Trade should be between the 2012C and the 1054Z. Honestly I'm worry about freeze bugs and slowness in menus in the latter.

So do nobody suggest me to take the Tek?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 05:25:10 pm »
I personally have not seen any slowness, I guess it depends on the modes you are running it in.

But no, I personally will take "freezing" 1045 over that Tek any time. The amount of memory it has is truly atrocious.
Alex

Offline Alfons

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2015, 08:15:49 pm »
I've never had the Freeze Bug and the device is always liquid to use. Only the auto-set function is slow. Otherwise, the Rigol is a practical device. But of course there are better devices to a higher price. Let's put it this way: the Rigol is a powerful tool that does its job very well within its specifications. I can only repeat what I wrote in another thread. You have to be incorporated in the device, then you forget it and just carries out  the measurements.

Offline joesixpack

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 11:54:40 pm »
It depends on what you are going to use the scope for.  To counter the anti-tek bias:

The TDS2012C  has a lifetime warranty. I've heard problems with people getting their Rigol equipment repaired if they've hacked it.  In fact, I've not heard anything good about Rigol repairing equipment at all.  Also, I don't think that series has a fan.  No fan = no noise.  Smaller memory but better sampling.  The tek will be full bandwith on each of the channels and won't reduce the bandwidth with multiple channels are turned on and the larger memory is selected.

Checkout the threads on the Rigol issues.  Also, check out the thread on the tektronix issues (oh wait, there isn't one).

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2015, 12:03:12 am »
If the Tek is still in the box all sealed up brand new it might be easier to sell in that condition but if you've already taken it out of the box you may as well play with it to get some first hand experience.  No doubt it's a decent enough scope but if you find that it's lacking in something then you will better appreciate whatever comes next.

The Rigol will be a very good scope too - but I'd play with the Tek to see what it is all about if it isn't still in perfect factory fresh sealed up condition.

A few Amazon reviews:
http://www.amazon.com/Tektronix-TDS2012C-Oscilloscope-Sampling-Lifetime/dp/B00A4LKGAY

If you could get the Rigol and the retail difference in cash (or anywhere close) I think you would be making a good deal :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2015, 12:10:15 am by Electro Fan »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf