Author Topic: Tek TDS-620A NVSRAM copy  (Read 5838 times)

Offline keystoneTopic starter

• Contributor
Tek TDS-620A NVSRAM copy
« on: September 18, 2015, 09:14:27 pm »
Can anyone tell me how to make a copy of the Dallas DS1650Y NVSRAM IC contents on my Tek TDS-620A scope?  I have a GPIB controller and some software but I don't know the commands to read the info or what memory address to quirey for that.  I am thinking my current DS-1650Y chip is going to die soon and want a copy of the contents to burn to a new chip.  Thanks for anyone's help.  :-//

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Tek TDS-620A NVSRAM copy
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 10:14:26 pm »
Why not take it out (if it needs replacing anyway) and read it using an eprom programmer?
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 02:47:06 am »
Why not take it out (if it needs replacing anyway) and read it using an eprom programmer?

I have considered that but have heard of losing the data while unsoldering  the chip.  I would rather have the data before anything happens.  Any other ideas?  Thanks.

Offline picburner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 05:11:37 am »
You could use this tool made by Sven Schnelle long time ago:
http://stackframe.org/tektool.shtml

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2015, 03:24:15 am »
Thank you picburner.  I just came across that today.  I will try that and see what happens.  Not real familiar with the GPIB commands and syntax though.  Do you know what the command would be to read the contents of the nvsram chip on the tek tds620A scope?  Thanks for any help.

Offline picburner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2015, 07:13:19 am »
The tool is written in "C" and must be compiled adding a file (gpib-32.obj) for the used GPIB adapter.
If you have trouble doing it I can attach a version compiled for NI GPIB adapters, it definitely works for NI GPIB-USB-HS and the old NI GPIB PCII/IIA,
I don't know if it works with other non NI adapters.

The command to be given to back up the NVRAM is:
tektool -r nvram.bin -b 0x04000000 -l 0xa0000
Where:
-r : Read command
nvram.bin: Backup file name
-b 0x04000000: NVRAM start address
-l 0xa0000: NVRAM file lenght

The starting address is right for TDS784D/TDS794D and my TDS784C.
Check on TDS620A service manual that the start address is the same otherwise you save the wrong data.

Good luck.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 09:55:20 am »
I have considered that but have heard of losing the data while unsoldering  the chip.  I would rather have the data before anything happens.  Any other ideas?  Thanks.
I have desolderd the NVRAM 3 times from various TDS500/600/700 series scopes and never had problems with lost data. Just work with ESD precautions in place.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 09:47:16 pm »
The tool is written in "C" and must be compiled adding a file (gpib-32.obj) for the used GPIB adapter.
If you have trouble doing it I can attach a version compiled for NI GPIB adapters, it definitely works for NI GPIB-USB-HS and the old NI GPIB PCII/IIA,
I don't know if it works with other non NI adapters.

The command to be given to back up the NVRAM is:
tektool -r nvram.bin -b 0x04000000 -l 0xa0000
Where:
-r : Read command
nvram.bin: Backup file name
-b 0x04000000: NVRAM start address
-l 0xa0000: NVRAM file lenght

The starting address is right for TDS784D/TDS794D and my TDS784C.
Check on TDS620A service manual that the start address is the same otherwise you save the wrong data.

Good luck.
I have an Agilent USB GPIB controller.  I have the Tek TDS620A service manual.  Where do I find the NVSRAM address?  Could you please send me a compiled version of tektool for the NI GPIB controller?  Thanks again. 

Offline picburner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 05:38:54 am »
Sorry, the address is in TDS620A Component Manual  not in the service manual.
I had already attached in the previous message the file compiled for NI adapter (TekTool.zip).
Follow all operating instructions at the link: http://stackframe.org/tektool.shtml

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 03:45:46 am »
Sorry, the address is in TDS620A Component Manual  not in the service manual.
I had already attached in the previous message the file compiled for NI adapter (TekTool.zip).
Follow all operating instructions at the link: http://stackframe.org/tektool.shtml
Picburner, did you mean the TDS520B component manual?  I have not seen any TDS620A component manual.  If there is one, where?  I have the Agilent IO LIbraries Suite software vintage 2009 and it recognizes my 620 when the S1 switch is in the protected position but not in the unprotected position.  I don't have microsoft C and no experience working with it.  When I send commands to the scope with the Agilent software, it responds.  When I try doing a "-r nvram.bin" command, I get a progress bar showing that it is acting like it is reading but I get a time out error.  That is with S1 in the protected position.  With S1 in the unprotected position, I can't even send commands to the scope.  Any ideas?  Thank you  |O

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf