Author Topic: TEK 2465B where would you flog it?  (Read 334 times)

Offline Terry BitesTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Recovering Electrical Engineer
TEK 2465B where would you flog it?
« on: September 21, 2024, 04:53:52 pm »
I've got a TEK 2465B. It's in great condition but gathering dust thse days.
Where would you flog it? Ebay or is there a better place?

Offline shabaz

• Frequent Contributor
Re: TEK 2465B where would you flog it?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2024, 05:56:01 pm »
Nice instrument. If you're not looking for a lot for it and just want it to go to a good home, then it could be worth offering it to a local (or otherwise) amateur radio group for a day or two first to see if anyone wants to buy it. I've sold a DG1022z AWG that way for about 1/3 of what I originally purchased it for, which was a good bargain for the purchaser and me. Packaging can cost a lot, so targeting a local group can be a significant benefit in terms of time/cost saved by packaging a large instrument and less stress, so the price can be lower to reflect that.

It is hard to sell some stuff in some areas locally, especially if the price is more than a few hundred. I offered a tek DSO to a group for under £1k, (actually also offered to swap for a radio worth about £800) and there were no takers. Eventually, it sold on eBay for approx £1450. Still, it took 2-3 months (I listed at about £1750 to be slightly cheaper than other listings; of course, any potential buyer will also feel better if there's some bargaining). EBay takes a chunk (I would rather the buyer not have had to pay that, but buyers rightly need comfort/assurance, which eBay provides).

I had a low-cost used VNA calibration kit to sell (as a Try-before-buy, i.e., I didn't want payment up-front since I wanted the purchaser to be 100% satisfied first), but surprisingly, despite the very low cost, there no takers from the amateur radio group, so again that went on eBay for a slightly higher price to cover the eBay charges.

I've purchased one item from this website; someone offered it in the For Sale section.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2024, 06:14:34 pm by shabaz »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2024, 06:05:56 pm »
I've got a TEK 2465B. It's in great condition but gathering dust thse days.
Where would you flog it? Ebay or is there a better place?

Possibly hamfests, depending on the price you expect.

Don't forget to specify which bits you've recapped, and the condition of the Dallas RAM.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: shabaz

Offline beenai2018

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2024, 08:56:46 pm »
I have had good luck with craigslist(not sure of the UK version,gumtree??) and facebook marketplace.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2024, 09:31:59 pm »
I have had good luck with craigslist(not sure of the UK version,gumtree??) and facebook marketplace.

Gumtree (I believe fleabay's mechanism for preventing craigslist from getting a foothold) is OK, but based on locality.

Farcebook marketplace has a reputation for both sellers and buyers not materialising. Not surprising, when you consider how farcebook treats its products users, and the level of discourse that occurs there.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2024, 09:38:08 pm »

Gumtree (I believe fleabay's mechanism for preventing craigslist from getting a foothold) is OK, but based on locality.

Farcebook marketplace has a reputation for both sellers and buyers not materialising. Not surprising, when you consider how farcebook treats its products users, and the level of discourse that occurs there.
A quick Gurgle shows it be a convoluted mess of who's up who....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumtree
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2024, 10:13:22 pm »

A quick Gurgle shows it be a convoluted mess of who's up who....
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gumtree

Urg. Yes.

It seems I was right, once upon a time: "In July 2020 eBay sold Gumtree UK to..." and at that point I fell asleep.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf