Author Topic: Info/Mod/Parts HP16058A Test Fixture HP4145A Semiconductor Parameter Analyzer  (Read 1928 times)

Offline NeepaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Mechanic by trade Electronics enthusiast by choice
Hello there!

Since the internet is in general seemingly missing any info about the HP16058A Test Fixture for the HP4145A/B Semiconductor Analyzers I though it would be prudent to do a little teardown of my own recently acquired version.

First we will start with the Daughter Boards themselves before tormorrow we are going to check out the Test Fixture box.

1689859-0
The standard boards complement as included as accessories with the 4145A. The only daughter board not inlcuded was the 18Pin version.

1689865-1

The insides of the transistor, diodes, and 8 pin boards left to right. Single wires soldered to the pins bridging from the teflon insulated terminals. A single small ferrite, 3.2mm long and 3.4mm in diameter, on each one held in place with heatshrink tubing.
1689871-2

The insides of the 10 to 24 pin boards. Same as with the other ones. Ferrites everywhere even on the 24pin version.

1689877-3
Dimensions of the rear backshells of the boards. 1.5mm Aluminum bend in shape with a three holes. Measuring about 83mm by 61mm. Hole spacing 51mm by 44mm.
1689883-4

The Front face dimensions of the boards. The front face is made up of two sheets with the top one carrying the paint and lettering.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 05:06:08 pm by Neepa »
Turbojet Mechanic playing EE.

The following users thanked this post: alm, ch_scr

• Regular Contributor
fucked up the images on the first post....

1689895-0

The blowmolded case for the daughter boards. Mine still had the original foam in them before it fell to dust from age and transatlantic shipping. Now featuring a temporary foam insert.

1689889-1
Evidence for these being a mostly handbuilt item. The scribe lines for the bending with a brake are still visible on mine. Overall my set seems to have very little wear.

1689895-2
Edit: OK im giving up the image attachment doesn't want to behave like I want it to!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 06:41:44 pm by Neepa »

Online guenthert

• Frequent Contributor
Hello there!

Since the internet is in general seemingly missing any info about the HP16058A Test Fixture for the HP4145A/B Semiconductor Analyzers

This is no longer true.  Some kind soul uploaded the manual to xdevs: https://xdevs.com/doc/HP_Agilent_Keysight/HP%2016058A%20Operating%20Note.pdf

But your tear-down is appreciated nevertheless. 

The following users thanked this post: Stray Electron

Online guenthert

• Frequent Contributor
Might as well add some pictures while at it.

Inside the fixture, top of the 'personality board' (with 10pin socket board):
1949541-0

Underside of the personality board:
1949529-1

Inside of the fixture's belly:  the pogo pins mate with the personality board.
1949535-2

The following users thanked this post: Stray Electron, ch_scr

• Regular Contributor
That document can be found in multiple places all over the net. Documentation as such isn't the problem. Secondary sources are. If you search for the Test Fixture and the Daughter Boards you never find proper pictures showing anything but a front view. Leaving you high and dry if you want to make your own Daughter Boards should you miss some or even all of them.

So here are more pictures of the Fixture itself:

My unit was modified by me to use a normal symetric Sub-D 25 cable. Centronics 24Pin are sourceable in the straight configuration but quite expensive and not that easy to find. A normal GPIB cable cannot be used as the cable exit will hit the fan shroud at the back of the 4145A. And even when you get a straight one the Interconnect Socket on the backside uses the spring tabs of the printer style Centronics to retain it. So the GPIB cable screws have nowhere to screw into.

There is however one problem with this mod. On the instrument side you need an interconnect to 12x2 pin 2.54mm pin spacing and 2.03mm row-row spacing. Something I have been unable to find at all. Especially as the pins need to be under 0.5mm thick for the holes in the secondary backplane. I'm currently designing an adapter pcb taking the backplane spacing and converting it to either a PCB mounted SUB-D connector or ribbon cable clamping solderable one. This sub board will then bridge to a regular panel mounted one at the case.

The whole album https://imgchest.com/p/9249zpbv2yn
The pictures are half size now.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 05:04:07 pm by Neepa »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf