Author Topic: DER EE DE-5000 LCR meter with changeable cables  (Read 20406 times)

Offline jonstomlin

Re: DER EE DE-5000 LCR meter with changeable cables
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2016, 08:36:58 pm »
Sweet! Thanks for the feedback :)

Offline markce

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2016, 10:32:15 pm »
By the way, if you buy DE-5000, it is good to do the CAL every time when you turn it on
Not needed on mine, unless battery is weak or I changed cables.

PM.
Make sure you're TL21 leads are Ok.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 09:38:29 am by markce »

Offline fanOfeeDIY

• Supporter
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2016, 10:55:45 am »
By the way, if you buy DE-5000, it is good to do the CAL every time when you turn it on
Not needed on mine, unless battery is weak or I changed cables.

PM.
Make sure you're TL21 leads are Ok.

Could be because I keep changing my probes before I turn on my DE-5000. I did not meant to write negatively of DE-5000.
I am pretty satisfied with the DE-5000 for my usage, mostly using measuring capacity and ESR of capacitors, and in inductance of inductors.
I am not using much of it for register some how.

These are the probes I using.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2016, 11:50:16 am by fanOfeeDIY »

Offline julian1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2016, 10:33:05 pm »
I have mine positioned right next to my breadboard area, and use the builtin component fixture to quickly test and determine the value of discrete components before inserting them into a breadboard.

What I don't like is the LCD which is very dim and difficult to read - compared with the VFD and TFT displays of other instruments.

Turning on the backlight doesn't help much, since it emits a faded blue light that doesn't improve contrast much over the black lcd letters. And even when the meter is powered by an external DC source the backllight turns off automatically after a minute of inactivity which is incredibly annoying.

I'm wondering if there may be a blue tinted filter in the LCD assembly that could be removed, to improve the situation.

Offline et328

• Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2016, 07:22:07 am »
What I don't like is the LCD which is very dim and difficult to read - compared with the VFD and TFT displays of other instruments.
Same problem here, also I hate how wobbly the stand is. About the LCD, lately I have wondered if a bias resistor value change would help, has anyone tried to find out? I'm talking about this stuff: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-898-lcd-contrast-experiments/

Offline Srbel

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics engineer
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2016, 08:51:36 am »
Are there any multimeter-like probes with Kelvin connection that can be used with this LCR meter?

Offline julian1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2016, 11:48:41 am »
There's no separation between current and sense. Adapters plug into the the test fixture which is +Ve, -Ve, and guard .

Offline blackbird

• Regular Contributor
  • Ooohhhh, what does this button do???
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2016, 12:58:14 pm »
There's no separation between current and sense. Adapters plug into the the test fixture which is +Ve, -Ve, and guard .

As far as I can see, the connectors for the spades as those for the jacks are split. Each connector socket has a seperate sense terminal so my guess is these are true Kelvin connectors.

In a teardown by PedroDaGr8 (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/der-ee-de-5000-unboxing-and-teardown/msg482026/#msg482026) you can see the split terminals.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 01:00:41 pm by blackbird »

Offline julian1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2016, 10:21:10 pm »

As far as I can see, the connectors for the spades as those for the jacks are split. Each connector socket has a seperate sense terminal so my guess is these are true Kelvin connectors.

I think the test peripherals have the 4-wire, but inside the box that connects to the meter they are tied together? Looking at the red/white wires from one alligator clip they appear tied to a single spade terminal.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2016, 11:42:17 pm »

I think the test peripherals have the 4-wire, but inside the box that connects to the meter they are tied together? Looking at the red/white wires from one alligator clip they appear tied to a single spade terminal.

The spade is actually a double sided piece of PCB. Each side of the PCB is isolated from the other, allowing you to make two connections with one spade. As a result they are isolated from meter into the wires.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline julian1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2016, 11:57:33 pm »
Quote from: PedroDaGr8 link=topic=68281.msg1028365#msg1028365 

The spade is actually a double sided piece of PCB. Each side of the PCB is isolated from the other, allowing you to make two connections with one spade. As a result they are isolated from meter into the wires.

Thanks for the explanation, that makes a lot of sense!.

Offline Fraser

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2016, 09:55:23 am »
I just ordered an extra tweezer adapter to modify and I already have the LEMO connectors..... Time to make some more versatile leads for my DE5000. Thanks for this thread as it has brought this job to the top of my 'to do' list :)
If I have helped you please consider a donation : https://gofund.me/c86b0a2c

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf