Author Topic: Tasi TA612C 4 Channel Thermocouple Data Logger Short Review  (Read 404 times)

Offline gbyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Tasi TA612C 4 Channel Thermocouple Data Logger Short Review

I needed to do some thermocouple temperature logging with more than 1 channel.  I decided to buy a hand held data thermocouple data logger with a USB interface to allow PC data logging.  Specifically I got the Tasi TA612C 4 channel unit.  See http://www.china-tasi.com/m/view.php?aid=97

Quick review of specs:
 - 4 Channels of either type K or type J thermocouple
 - On device logs up to 5000 records
 - 0.1 Deg C resolution with ±(0.2% + 0.7C) accuracy
 - Comes with 4 type K thermocouples 2 m length.
 - Has micro USB port for a virtual serial connection to a PC
 - Uses 3 AA batteries but when USB plugged in pulls power from USB host
 - No auto power off when on USB
 - No relays so totally quiet while operating
 - Can set min/max temperature alarms to sound a buzzer.
 - $45 to $80 price level depending on source
 - Two companion models TA612B, TA612A with 2 and 1 channels but NO USB connection

There is PC software you can download from the mfg site.  I did not install that since typically utilities like these are not that great.  Besides, the goal is to log the data with HKJ's TestController software along with other data.  Fortunately, Tasi kindly sent me the virtual serial port protocol documentation (see attached).  This device uses the CH341 USB to serial chip.

After supporting this instrument in TestController I found that the it updates all 4 channels temperatures once every 0.5 to 0.6 seconds or between 1.5 and 2 Hz sampling.

The four channels with the supplied 4 type K thermocouples are within +/- 0.1 Deg C of each other at room temperature.

For hand held use the screen (44x52 mm) is very clear and bright with large enough sized digits to be easily read.

Using a glass of ice water straight from a refrigerator measured in the 1 Deg C range.  Not sure if the water was really right at ice melting temp so I consider this result within the probe plus instrument tolerance.

All in all happy with this economical purchase.  Certainly much cheaper and quieter than bench DMM's with multiplexor cards inside.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf