Author Topic: Difference R&S modular probes to active single-/differential  (Read 581 times)

Offline VanBuddTopic starter

• Contributor
Difference R&S modular probes to active single-/differential
« on: October 06, 2023, 05:54:40 am »
Hi,

I would like to ask about the differences from the R&S RT-ZM modular probe system to the normal active probes (single ended/differential).
The RT-ZM probes can switch between single-ended, differential and common mode.
So if i understand that correctly it basically can do all the measurements with just one probe.
The only differences i could find with my basic understanding and short research are the dynamic range and DC input resistant.

Im just curious, in what scenario would you use the single ended or differential active probe over the modular system?

So my real question is, which scenarios are not working for the modular system?
At my work we are currently deciding if we want to purchase the R&S MXO4 as a good common use oscilloscope and which accessories we should buy.
So i was thinking the best option for the most scenarios would be the modular system.

Im not that familiar with high end measurement equipment, so please excuse me if im clearly overlooking something here.

Offline alm

• Super Contributor
Re: Difference R&S modular probes to active single-/differential
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 09:18:09 am »
How does the noise compare? Any differential probe can be used as single-ended probe by connecting the inverting input to ground. But the downside is usually higher noise than a true single-ended design.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 10:09:00 am »
How does the noise compare? Any differential probe can be used as single-ended probe by connecting the inverting input to ground. But the downside is usually higher noise than a true single-ended design.

From the datasheet, noise voltage on the modular probe (referenced to probe input) is 5.4mV(RMS), on the active differential probe 2.4mV for the 1.5GHz version and on the active single ended probe it is 1.6mV for the 1.5GHz version.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 10:17:23 am by VanBudd »

The following users thanked this post: pdenisowski

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 05:12:43 am »
So the main difference is a little bit more noise?

Can someone confirm that then the best option for most variety of scenarios is the modular system?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf