Author Topic: Hantek Function Waveform Generator HDG3012B / HDG3022B HDG3000 Series  (Read 2516 times)

Offline AkbarTopic starter

• Contributor
  • EE Student
I am surprised that no one is talking about this function Generator, seems well-built and it being sold at a decent price. The biggest selling point for me over the more compact Uni-T function generator is that you don't need any PC software to make arbitrary waveforms

The file format the function generator uses is not CSV for some reason, but the file opens just fine in notepad++ or in Excel for editing, a few lines needs to be added to tell the function generator on what to do.

I am just posting this in case someone wants more information on it, below is some data I collected messing around with the PC Program for arbitrary waveform generation in demo mode

//File Type is hwf?? Opens in Excel and Notepad++

// First Line Defines Mode
//10 = Samples/s
//20 = Frequency Mode??

version,10

//Second Line is Unknown, Does not Change??

type,2

//Line 3 is the number of Voltage Samples

samples,64

//Line 4 is the Sample Rate
//It is Defined in Samples/s or Hz

sps,1000.000000

//Line 5 defines the Dynamic Range
//Amplitude is in Vp-p
//5 means +/- 2.5V

zoom,5.000000

//Afterwards the Voltage Samples are Given
//They are Read as per Sampling Rate
//Voltage is As 0.000 000 with 6 Decimal Points
-Akbar

The following users thanked this post: coromonadalix

Offline Scratch.HTF

• Regular Contributor
Re: Hantek Function Waveform Generator HDG3012B / HDG3022B HDG3000 Series
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 01:27:05 am »
The file format is HWF with the following format (although it is from a HDG2000 series, it should be the same for the HDG3000 series):

version,16              ; DAC resolution (bits)
type,2                  ; Type ID
samples,600             ; Total Number of Samples
sps,250000000.000000    ; Samples Per Second
zoom,20                 ; Vpp Range (1/4/20 for +/- 0.5/2/10 Vpp respectively)
div,1                   ; Waveform Division/Segment (1-65536)
0.100000                ; Sample 1
0.100000                ; Sample 2
-0.100000               ; Sample 3
0.000000                ; Sample 600

Common to both Types: All Samples except the last are terminated with CR+LF.

Type 1: Samples are signed numbers from -32768 to 32767 representing 0.0003125V/0.0000625V/0.000015625V steps for the Vpp range of +/- 10/2/0.5 maximum respectively.

Type 2: Samples are rounded down to the nearest 0.0003125V/0.0000625V/0.000015625V step for the Vpp range of +/- 10/2/0.5 maximum respectively and only negative numbers include a negative sign.
If it runs on Linux, there is some hackability in it.

• Contributor
  • EE Student
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 07:14:52 pm »
It does look similar, but the version line for the program does not seem to be the DAC resolution, as it becomes 10 for the samples mode and 20 for frequency mode, in one of the files I had it in frequency mode, and it changed to 20 but the rest of them are in samples mode which have 10, this generator is 16 Bit as well so 10 shouldn't be its resolution. I don't know why there are these two modes in the Waveform program and why they are any different
-Akbar

Offline elex_enthusiast

• Regular Contributor
  • Everything has user-salvageable parts inside!!!!
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 10:47:21 am »
I am surprised that no one is talking about this function Generator, seems well-built and it being sold at a decent price.

I am considering buying the 80Mhz version but lack of review is whats keeping me from ordering one. BTW how does it perform?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 10:59:54 am by elex_enthusiast »
Always learn how to break and fix things electronics!

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2023, 01:36:28 pm »
looks like a rigol clone ??

• Contributor
  • EE Student
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2023, 01:43:52 pm »
are you looking for any specific performance metric? I checked the linearity across the frequency range, and it seems to be good. Jitter I measured and got it worse than I expected but I am not too sure whether it is coming from my oscilloscope or it is coming from the generator. I need to get a good 50 Ohm terminator before I can conclusively say the amplitude linearity is good. I don't know how the higher frequency ones perform, they might have a different circuit in them. The seller i bought from was only selling a 15MHz and 30MHz if the sample rate isn't higher for the 80MHz then the arbitrary waveform frequency and square wave frequency will still be limited to the same level as the 15/30MHz models

The thing I don't like is the user interface, it just not what I would expect, it looks really good but I feel like they just looked at images and copied the design. Now I have never owned such a LCD interface function generator before so I can't say it is better on other models.

for example, if i want to choose an arbitrary waveform I can't preview it, i can only read the name and press on it. It will enable the waveform and since there are 100+ built in and some like Voice which you have to see before you choose it is bad. Then things like the sweep function, if it is sweeping you can't see what frequency it is at it will just sweep with a static display, when you want to change parameters of the waveform like amplitude you have to press a button but then in that screen it does not show a frequency sweep it just shows a regular waveform with a fixed frequency. Such small things here and there make me feel like they just looked at images and made the interface. I might be ranting a lot about the user interface, it's because the hardware is good, and the interface looks good, i am just disappointed at the execution. Things like that matter a lot to me, but it might not matter a lot to many

ranting about the interface, i should mention the colours on the display are very unsaturated and the multifunction knob is mushy and the indents while rotating don't feel good
-Akbar

• Contributor
  • EE Student
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2023, 01:50:54 pm »
looks more similar to siglent ones from the layout of the panel and the bumpers but the angular styling is definitely something rigol would do
-Akbar

Offline simba15

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2023, 02:18:21 pm »
Interestingly enough the UI looked similar at first glance, a few looks at the manual and its clearly copied from the HPAK 335xx series, Not saying its good but that's where it comes from.

I wish they had a dedicated Universal Counter in that design. The HDG3000 has a counter input on the rear but it is only frequency/period not total counts. Would really like if one of the better low cost manufactures ( Siglent, Rigol Hantek etc) made a nice soft button counter ( TTI has the TF930 but its just not as durable as a HPAK)

Offline elex_enthusiast

• Regular Contributor
  • Everything has user-salvageable parts inside!!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 02:30:05 pm »

Appreciate your insights about the unit.
Rigol dg1022z was my first option but being budget constrained, cheaper priced sig gens can be tempting. I think I should save a little bit more and go for the rigol (and hack it) or a siglent perhaps.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2023, 02:32:04 pm by elex_enthusiast »
Always learn how to break and fix things electronics!

• Contributor
  • EE Student
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2023, 04:09:17 pm »
what about the Uni-T models? They are much cheaper and do the same. The only reason for me getting this Hantek is the lack of needing software to make arbitrary waveforms. Otherwise, I would say nothing is wrong with it. I don't think you would be very disappointed with it, a more expensive generator won't do a lot more than what this Hantek can do
-Akbar

Offline Alibani

• Bardia Trading
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2024, 08:25:20 pm »
Hey Guys,
I am going to buy a Hantek HDG3082B . Do you have any long-term experience with that? any bugs? Hardware or software problem? or any alternative choice with the same price? it is the maximum budget I can afford

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf