Author Topic: Sniffing the Rigol's internal I2C bus  (Read 1869844 times)

Offline CHaTRail

Re: Sniffing the Rigol's internal I2C bus
« Reply #3125 on: March 30, 2014, 10:34:42 pm »
Hi,

I have tried to download Zombie28's modified FW (with the *IDN? key view mod) but the link to the Mega site in post #2791 just reports the URL as out of date.

Is there an alternate link? Or if Zombie28 reads this can you send me a copy of the GEL file please?

Many Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 10:45:03 pm by CHaTRail »

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3126 on: March 30, 2014, 11:40:06 pm »

Offline CHaTRail

« Reply #3127 on: March 31, 2014, 08:17:54 am »
Ah, sorry didn't spot that.

Perfect - thank you Mrflibble.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #3128 on: March 31, 2014, 02:25:10 pm »
I realize it's a lot to ask, but carefully reading the entire thread will indeed benefit you.

Of course, the people I'm talking to will never read this comment.

Offline Gallymimus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3129 on: March 31, 2014, 02:27:02 pm »
I realize it's a lot to ask, but carefully reading the entire thread will indeed benefit you.

Of course, the people I'm talking to will never read this comment.

It's really not that much to ask.  Let's say they spend 10 hours reading the thread to save $2k.  That's a pretty good hourly rate for reading and learning.

Offline Dave Turner

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3130 on: March 31, 2014, 11:10:56 pm »
I've read this whole thread several times. (10 hours is far too short an estimate for one read through)

Truth is that it is so long and contains so many comments, thanks, adulation, side issues (such as this post) and repetitions that is almost impossible to make sense of.

I'm not sure what the best way forward is to clarify the current position and allow for future developments. Are sub threads possible? For example - new info, thanks, details of hack etc under the various headings.

Offline jdoshier

• Contributor
« Reply #3131 on: April 01, 2014, 12:29:01 am »
Truth is that it is so long and contains so many comments, thanks, adulation, side issues (such as this post) and repetitions that is almost impossible to make sense of.

It should be renamed "The Rigol Megathread".

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3132 on: April 01, 2014, 12:36:25 am »
I'm not sure what the best way forward is to clarify the current position and allow for future developments. Are sub threads possible? For example - new info, thanks, details of hack etc under the various headings.

this thread needs a wiki page that we can refer people to.

Offline true

• Frequent Contributor
  • INTERNET
« Reply #3133 on: April 01, 2014, 04:02:46 am »
I've still got to find time to get a working serial reset procedure, so I can post it and have it get lost in this thread....

Offline Gallymimus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3134 on: April 01, 2014, 04:57:38 am »
I've still got to find time to get a working serial reset procedure, so I can post it and have it get lost in this thread....

Post it in a new thread!

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3135 on: April 01, 2014, 12:21:20 pm »
yeah, this thread is a hell of a mess and needs a curator.  this information needs to go into a wiki somewhere and be maintained, and then that maintainer needs to let this thread know so that we can update the wiki page and/or point question askers to the page for the FAQ and distilled information.

This is another example of why this style of forum software is just so absolutely terrible at information dissemination.

Offline AndersAnd

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3136 on: April 01, 2014, 08:58:35 pm »
didnt someone did some kind of blog page? with a guide?
http://rigol.avotronics.co.uk

But unfortunately it looks like Avotronics stopped halfway through creating the site. So most upgrade info is still missing.

Offline madcrow

• Contributor
« Reply #3137 on: April 02, 2014, 06:33:34 pm »
Hello New Owners of DS2000A DSOs,

If you are searching for an easy way to upgrade your units, take a look at this topic:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/ds2000a-upgrade-utility/
Enjoy :)

Offline Fagear

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3138 on: April 03, 2014, 03:28:55 pm »
I have a question. For DS2000A the "new" procesure with uploading modified FW, getting some keys out of it, generating new with NSER/NSEQ/... codes is well known. But for DS2000 there were possibility to turn on "trial" keys (DSAZ -> VSAZ and so on).
Are there any codes for DS2000A (with FW 00.02...) that can add "trial" and not "official" options?

I've tried to add "trial" keys buy downgrading my DS2072A to old FW (00.01...) and applying "old" VSAH/VSAZ - that worked. But after returning to FW 00.02... trial options dissapeared.

Offline Fagear

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3139 on: April 05, 2014, 04:27:09 pm »
yes i remember there is a another set of commands that refreshes trial instead of activated "official" ... but im sorry to say ... i cant remember which post it was  |O
If you are talking about "LLLLLLL LLLLLLL-RLGLLDS-VSAZLLL-LLLLLLL" and others - they don't work with FW 00.02...  :-//

Offline LIV2

• Contributor
« Reply #3140 on: April 06, 2014, 04:01:06 am »
I am unable to activate the recorder feature or use the DSER code on my 1074Z, using these codes i get "Invalid License key"

However I was able to add everything else, Triggers, Decoders, 24M Depth and 100Mhz

I do notice that for the codes that work, the first two sections of the license code are the same, but not for the ones that don't. is that normal?

I'm running Firmware version 00.02.03.SP5 and the riglol key generator

Offline MTD

« Reply #3141 on: April 06, 2014, 04:54:49 am »
Hello,

Another happy DS2072A-S owner, unlocked All Options + 300MHz. Not being religious per se, but it must be said, God bless whoever made the pdf Unlocking Guide (hack went smoothly). Also God bless Rigol, they certainly changed the game in favour of the customers, especially those with not a high financial capabilities.

Owner of DS1052E (not being hacked, yet) for few years already, didn't have the best experience with it as it broke down. But it must be said that Rigol did step up. On DS1052E issue, first communication was with Rigol Europe, from there being forwarded to Rigol North America, and from there to Rigol China. The Rigol China was very responsive, DS1052E was send to China where it was fixed and send back.

Considering not having the best experience with DS1052E, compared with scopes used from other vendors (Tektronix and Agilent), I was looking (and saving) into those options (Agilent most likely) for the new scope. During that though, the option for hacking DS2000A was identified, and it was just hard to resist. Now DS2072A-S, upps!!! sorry, DS2302A-S is on the bench, :).

Further, eventual acquiring of Spectrum Analyzer was considered, or more precisely put, wished for. But after the hack of DS2072A-S was done, order for DSA815-TG was put in place. Because of DS2000A, eventual Rigol offering for the spectrum analyzer was checked, and DSA815-TG was discovered. Woow, it was not quite easy to believe what DSA815-TG is offering for the price tag on it. Actually, more precisely, the price tag on DSA815-TG was not quite easy to believe. Looking forward to add it on the bench.

Offline Arkku

• Contributor
« Reply #3142 on: April 06, 2014, 03:03:00 pm »
I figured my unlocked scope needed a new nameplate to reflect the features…

Offline hooverphonique

• Contributor
« Reply #3143 on: April 07, 2014, 10:09:05 pm »
Hi,

I successfully unlocked all the features on my DS2072A with the instructions in this thread. In case it is helpful to others who may have trouble digging up all the relevant info in this long thread (especially since much of it seems Windows-specific), the process I found easiest on the *nix command line (OS X, Linux, BSD, etc) was:

I tried this (excellent looking) guide, but my scope ends up saying "license is unavailable"..

the scope is a DS2072A and the original fw was 02.01.00.03 and after flashing DS2000(DSP)update_00.02.01.00.03 (license keys dump).zip from gotroot.ca, it spits out a long sequence of bytes after the serial number as expected..

I then used rigup-0.1.zip from the same site on linux to generate the NS8H key using a binary file generated by the ruby script, and I then try to install it using :SYST:OPT:INST EU4PV96RHF3XTUG73KVCCM5FTP8M

any idea what is happening/what I'm doing wrong?

cheers,
hoover

Offline MTD

« Reply #3144 on: April 07, 2014, 11:18:24 pm »

cheers,
hoover

Did you read the DS2072A Unlocking Guide.pdf on that same site: http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/

MTD

Offline Arkku

• Contributor
« Reply #3145 on: April 07, 2014, 11:36:39 pm »
I then used rigup-0.1.zip from the same site on linux to generate the NS8H key using a binary file generated by the ruby script, and I then try to install it using :SYST:OPT:INST EU4PV96RHF3XTUG73KVCCM5FTP8M

The guide I wrote on page 208 of this thread is pretty much a direct copypaste of what I did, the only difference being that I've obscured my serial numbers. Check the screen of the scope after you enter the :syst:opt:inst and look for a progress bar. If you don't get one, maybe try and restart the scope… Of course you could just enter the license manually on the scope screen if the :system:option:install doesn't work.

Offline rowifi

• Contributor
« Reply #3146 on: April 08, 2014, 09:36:21 am »
DS2000A Firmware update 00.03.00 is available.

Offline hooverphonique

• Contributor
« Reply #3147 on: April 08, 2014, 12:02:10 pm »
Did you read the DS2072A Unlocking Guide.pdf on that same site: http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/
I did.. I just used info from Arkku's guide since it omits installing viva? drivers (I am on linux at the moment) and fiddling with a text editor.

The guide I wrote on page 208 of this thread is pretty much a direct copypaste of what I did, the only difference being that I've obscured my serial numbers. Check the screen of the scope after you enter the :syst:opt:inst and look for a progress bar. If you don't get one, maybe try and restart the scope… Of course you could just enter the license manually on the scope screen if the :system:option:install doesn't work.

The scope says 'license is unavailable!' (no progress bar) when using the onscreen editor as well.. restarting doesn't change anything.. I suspect something is wrong with the generated key.. Why, I don't know... I will see if I can find a windows box and try the precompiled version of rigup  (does anyone know if the 02 version generates the same keys as 01?), because when I compiled it, I got some warnings about uninitialized variables.. otherwise something probably goes wrong when applying the ruby script..
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:07:02 pm by hooverphonique »

Offline hooverphonique

• Contributor
« Reply #3148 on: April 08, 2014, 01:30:59 pm »
I think I've come across some sort of tamper-counter, because now the scope has stopped responding to any license I throw at it, both over LAN and in the user interface (no 'license is unavailable' message anymore, no reaction whatsoever).. power off, etc, doesn't help..

another discovery is that the windows exe from the gotroot.ca rigup02.rar archive does *not* produce the same licenses as the home-built one from rigup-0.1.zip (built just by issuing 'make'), i.e. the two versions produce different output when doing e.g. 'rigup license scopekeys.txt NS8H'.
They do produce the same licenses when invoked using 'rigup ds2072a scope.bin', however..
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 05:04:54 pm by hooverphonique »

Offline Gallymimus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3149 on: April 09, 2014, 04:25:28 am »
I think I've come across some sort of tamper-counter, because now the scope has stopped responding to any license I throw at it, both over LAN and in the user interface (no 'license is unavailable' message anymore, no reaction whatsoever).. power off, etc, doesn't help..

another discovery is that the windows exe from the gotroot.ca rigup02.rar archive does *not* produce the same licenses as the home-built one from rigup-0.1.zip (built just by issuing 'make'), i.e. the two versions produce different output when doing e.g. 'rigup license scopekeys.txt NS8H'.
They do produce the same licenses when invoked using 'rigup ds2072a scope.bin', however..

There are multiple solutions to a valid license so it isn't necessarily a big deal that you get two different outputs.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf