Author Topic: Sniffing the Rigol's internal I2C bus  (Read 1869686 times)

Offline Gallymimus

• Regular Contributor
Re: Sniffing the Rigol's internal I2C bus
« Reply #3100 on: March 27, 2014, 04:15:36 pm »
I can't even get Ultra-Station to SEE my DS1104Z-S, despite Ultra-Sigma seeing it just fine.

There's a whole lot of crap software coming out of Rigol.  Hackability or not, I won't be buying Rigol in the future, probably.

Rigol's PC software is pretty bad in most cases.  Rigol works great with custom VISA software like labview.  We've switched most of our test equipment from Tek TDS3000 series to the DS1074.  That's a 5x savings on the scope.  Rigols hardware is solid, firmware is a little buggy but the PC software is bad.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #3101 on: March 27, 2014, 05:33:06 pm »
Rigols hardware is solid, firmware is a little buggy but the PC software is bad.

Agreed on all points.

Offline jdoshier

• Contributor
« Reply #3102 on: March 27, 2014, 06:02:18 pm »
I can't even get Ultra-Station to SEE my DS1104Z-S, despite Ultra-Sigma seeing it just fine.
There's a whole lot of crap software coming out of Rigol.  Hackability or not, I won't be buying Rigol in the future, probably.

Rigol's software (and their support in general) is not very good.  Pretty good hardware, though. 

To get Ultra Station to work you need to edit "Ultra Station.ini" located in \Rigol\Ultra Sigma\Instrument Tools\ folder.  Add or edit so you have DS1104Z,DS1074Z listed i.e. without the -S.  Once you do this, you should be able to right-click on the instrument in Ultra Sigma and choose Ultra Station.  Ultra Station must be run from within Ultra Sigma.

The DS1000Z and DS2000 series do not distinguish the -S and non-S models.  As mentioned above, The DS2000 series seems to work OK, but the DS1000Z doesn't process and output the arb data.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 06:04:13 pm by jdoshier »

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3103 on: March 27, 2014, 06:02:57 pm »
...appears Ultra Station is sending the correct data...

If you could perhaps do a packet capture on the series of commands that gets sent to the scope, I'd sure appreciate it.

Offline jdoshier

• Contributor
« Reply #3104 on: March 27, 2014, 07:30:34 pm »
From NI I/O Trace.

Offline BeattieBoy

« Reply #3105 on: March 27, 2014, 09:22:51 pm »
Has anybody hacked a DS2072A with firmware 00.02.01? I've tried using the windows program to get the license keys, but it keeps telling me "License unavailable". I just got it today and have already used up a sizeable portion of my trial licenses playing with it, so I am eager to see them all unlocked.

Scope Specs:
Model: DS2072A
Serial: DS2D1546xxxxx
Software version: 00.02.01
Hardware version: 2.0

Looking at it again though, it seems I have to get my unique private key? I'm slightly lost and this forum thread is way too large to dig through the entirety of...

Offline Gallymimus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3106 on: March 27, 2014, 09:26:57 pm »
Has anybody hacked a DS2072A with firmware 00.02.01? I've tried using the windows program to get the license keys, but it keeps telling me "License unavailable". I just got it today and have already used up a sizeable portion of my trial licenses playing with it, so I am eager to see them all unlocked.

Scope Specs:

Looking at it again though, it seems I have to get my unique private key? I'm slightly lost and this forum thread is way too large to dig through the entirety of...

YOU CAN DO IT.  Don't get discouraged.  Think of all the money you will save by reading reading reading!  That's how the rest of us got there you can do it too!  Good luck!  You are on the right track.  The A version has some special requirements and you are right you need to get a private key out of it.  Just a little more reading and you will have it!

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3107 on: March 27, 2014, 09:28:08 pm »
From NI I/O Trace.

Ah, it's that #7 that I'm keen to know.  Fully expanded.  Can you export that line only?

Thanks!

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3108 on: March 27, 2014, 09:44:45 pm »
From NI I/O Trace.

Ah, it's that #7 that I'm keen to know.  Fully expanded.  Can you export that line only?

*grin*

Now why doesn't that surprise me. ;) Hell, you can probably guess the correct syntax now. Check older PM's, substitute DAC16 where we had DAC (because that's in the DS2000A manual) and you're probably good to go.

As in:
Code: [Select]
TRACE:DATA:DAC16 VOLATILE etcblahblah

<3 Rigol for changing it up for every single instrument. :P The guy responsible for the SCPI commands is probably licking an LSD laced sugar cube before he gets to work on a new instrument.

Offline thn788

• Contributor
« Reply #3109 on: March 27, 2014, 10:05:03 pm »
Hi

After reading in Suffer1981de's post about the DS1000Z firmware 00.02.03.SP5, I e-mailed my scope dealer and immediately received the new firmware. Although "new" is probably relative: seems to have been released on Jan. 26th, already. Haven't yet looked for changes or bug-fixes but noticed that the measurement menu on the left side has gained the 8 new measurements that are documented in the User Guide from Jan 2014, which is online on Rigol's website for quite some time, already.

Here is a link to the firmware:  http://www.filedropper.com/ds1000zupdate-v000203sp5

Have fun. :-)

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3110 on: March 27, 2014, 10:49:46 pm »
Perhaps someone with a DS1000Z can create a new thread dedicated to DS1000Z-(A), for tracking firmware, bugs, features, etc.

Suggestion: Use the similar style as marmad created for DS2000, which I attempted to follow for DP832.  It really helps to keep all matters related to one product (series) of a similar topic in its own thread.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3111 on: March 27, 2014, 11:06:04 pm »
Code: [Select]
TRACE:DATA:DAC16 VOLATILE etc. blah blah<3 Rigol for changing it up for every single instrument. :P The guy responsible for the SCPI commands is probably licking an LSD laced sugar cube before he gets to work on a new instrument.

Yeah I'll have to give it a shot tonight.

Full string of the command would be nice, if it can be obtained.  Suppose I could edit the .ini file mentioned previously and do it myself, though.  I don't need to be lazy.  I do need to wait for my family to get off my PC though...  Need more computers.

Offline jdoshier

• Contributor
« Reply #3112 on: March 28, 2014, 01:18:51 am »
Thanks, thn788 !!  That half way fixed the arb.  Ultra Station will now transfer to source1 but not source2.  v00.02.03.SP5 is probably an interim bug fix since Rigol NA hasn't been given notice of it.  At least I can transfer to source1, save a copy on the scope, and then load manually in source2.

Rigby, see attached.  Grab a copy of the DG1000Z programming reference.  It looks like Rigol did a partial implementation of it for the DS1000Z-S and DS2000A-S arb's.

Offline Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3113 on: March 28, 2014, 01:49:13 am »
Thanks, thn788 !!  That half way fixed the arb.  Ultra Station will now transfer to source1 but not source2.  v00.02.03.SP5 is probably an interim bug fix since Rigol NA hasn't been given notice of it.  At least I can transfer to source1, save a copy on the scope, and then load manually in source2.

Rigby, see attached.  Grab a copy of the DG1000Z programming reference.  It looks like Rigol did a partial implementation of it for the DS1000Z-S and DS2000A-S arb's.

This is important stuff, but can you please move this discussion to a new thread as I've suggested above.  Not only is it completely off-topic here (this thread is already difficult to locate on-topic information, and many people cannot be bothered to read it and ask repeated questions), but it will surely serve your investigative work and further discussion better if it has its dedicated "space".

Cheers!

Offline MikeGyver

« Reply #3114 on: March 28, 2014, 05:47:01 am »
I bought a ds2072A because of this thread, and just received it today.
I sat down to do the 300mhz upgrade process as outlined in the PDF file and was unable to complete the very first step.   :palm: ugh... dammit

The modified firmware file 'DS2000Update.GEL'  @ the link  https://mega.co.nz/#!MdcEWTgL!0EEmSr-Q6TxaFSsyEmjhRrgqDvFCoXg9K49BalL5Uxc
is no longer available.....

can someone with this file send it to me or upload it somewhere more permanent?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:20:59 am by MikeGyver »

Offline neslekkim

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3115 on: March 28, 2014, 05:55:01 am »
I bought a ds2072 because of this thread, and just received it today.
I sat down to do the 300mhz upgrade process as outlined in the PDF file and was unable to complete the very first step.   :palm: ugh... dammit

The modified firmware file 'DS2000Update.GEL'  @ the link  https://mega.co.nz/#!MdcEWTgL!0EEmSr-Q6TxaFSsyEmjhRrgqDvFCoXg9K49BalL5Uxc
is no longer available.....

can someone with this file send it to me or upload it somewhere more permanent?

check in the mirror here http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/

Offline MikeGyver

« Reply #3116 on: March 28, 2014, 07:01:22 am »
check in the mirror here http://www.gotroot.ca/rigol/

That was some kinda witchcraft...
It is on that link listed as "DS2000(DSP)update_00.02.01.00.03 (license keys dump).zip"

I just successfully updated to 300mhz with all options by following the PDF instruction file!
Thanks guys! :scared:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:03:05 am by MikeGyver »

Offline MikeGyver

« Reply #3117 on: March 28, 2014, 07:19:58 am »
My original DS2072A firmware versions were:
 Software Version: 00.02.00
 Hardware Version: 2.0

And now now after the 300mhz update my firmware is:
 Software Version: 00.02.01.00.03
 Hardware Version: 1.0.2.0.2

Is it safe to install the latest firmware updates with this hack?
If so does anyone have it? Or do I have to get it through Rigol's website?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:22:47 am by MikeGyver »

Offline IvoS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3118 on: March 28, 2014, 07:44:30 pm »
I am trying to use this hack but I stall at command promp. I am trying to run the rigup scan key.bin but I get a "rigup is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file" message.
All step I have done so far I feel like I did correctly.
Can someone help me with this, thanks.

Offline IvoS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3119 on: March 28, 2014, 08:05:08 pm »
OK, I made little progress but still have an error message:
Loading memory dump 'key.bin' failed.

Offline IvoS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3120 on: March 29, 2014, 01:12:21 am »
ALL set. CMD must be launched as system32, otherwise it doesn't work.Lesson learned.  |O

Offline MikeGyver

« Reply #3121 on: March 29, 2014, 06:36:50 am »
So it looks like today my firmwares have magically reverted back to the original version 2 on their own. Everything is still unlocked at it still says 300mhz.  :-//
Anyone else have this happen?

*EDIT:
I found out why... When i go into the full firmware version menu using the f7,f6,f7,utility key sequence it lists different firmware versions. Kinda weird...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 11:15:36 am by MikeGyver »

Offline IvoS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3122 on: March 29, 2014, 10:31:40 am »
Just checked the hacked scope bandwidth with avalanche pulse generator and I read rising edge as low as 740ps!
This makes the bandwidth around 470MHz. Fantastic. Many thanks to those who made this hack to happen.

Offline anson80

• Contributor
« Reply #3123 on: March 29, 2014, 06:01:33 pm »

Scope Specs:

300M KEY License unavailable? Give it a try 200M All KEY

Offline Mark_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3124 on: March 29, 2014, 07:29:01 pm »
Just checked the hacked scope bandwidth with avalanche pulse generator and I read rising edge as low as 740ps!
This makes the bandwidth around 470MHz. Fantastic.

Yes, the BW of this scope is quite wide.  However, as a result of that, one must exercise caution... unless you only use one channel at a time, and sample at the full 2 GSa/s rate.

Ignoring that could lead to wasting time chasing a ghost signal that doesn't exist, but is simply an artifact produced by aliasing.  Also, these aliasing components can distort the waveshape of lower-frequency signals.  If the slope of the skirts on the Rigol filters were steep enough, you could get away with up to 400 MHz inputs, with 2-channels running at 1 GSa/s.  Unfortunately, they're not... and you can't.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf