Author Topic: Digilent Analog Discovery 2  (Read 2446 times)

Offline JoeyGTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Digilent Analog Discovery 2
« on: July 14, 2016, 02:16:22 pm »
Features look good on paper.

Has anyone tried the   logic analyser  for  SPI  and I2C  decoding etc

Channels: 16 (shared)32)
Sample rate (real time): 100 MSPS
Buffer size/channel: up to 16K samples33)
Input logic: LVCMOS (1.8V/3.3V, 5V tolerant)
Multiple trigger options including pin change, bus pattern, etc34).
Cross-triggering between Analog input channels, Logic Analyzer, Pattern Generator or external trigger35).
Interpreter for SPI, I2C, UART, Parallel bus36).
Data file import/export using standard formats37).

36 This functionality is implemented by WaveForms software in the PC, using the buffered data from the FPGA. After a acquiring a complete data buffer at the FPGA level and uploading it to the PC, the data is processed and displayed, while a new acquisition is started.

Thanks   Joe

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Re: Digilent Analog Discovery 2
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 04:08:49 pm »
Yes, it works, but it's limited by memory, so you don't get very long decodes.

This, and its previous model which functionally is almost identical bar the variable PSU, are about as good as it gets at this end of the market in USB scopes. A lot of this is because of the software.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 04:16:31 pm »
I haven't tried decoding on my V1 device but I have used the AWGs and Scope channels quite a bit.  I like the device, I like being able to use multiple components and I especially like being able to move the scope display to one monitor and leaving the AWG display on the other.  There's nothing like dual 27" instruments!

Where it really shines is when you dump it in a laptop bag and take it somewhere.  A complete lab in a small box.

Again, I haven't tried it but I suspect I can trigger the capture to start anywhere I want if I can send a synch pulse from the DUT.  I could decide to skip all the useless traffic on the port and capture only the portion of interest.

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2016, 04:24:38 pm »
Yes, the portability aspect is its greatest facet for me. A miniature electronics Swiss army knife.

One caveat though. If you're after a scope for anything more than casual occasional use, this is not a match for a proper bench scope, and it never will be. As long as you can accept its limitations, it's very useful. I'd also strongly recommend investing in the BNC board and 10X probes.

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 09:06:01 am »
I personally think that the Mark I version of the Analog Discovery looked nicer, and more professional,
but of course that is a personal taste.

I am keen on buying it for the Bode plot functionality, and as a basic Logic Analyzer.
Some distributors still carry the Mark I, so I probably will go for that one, as I don't care about the extra power lines.

Or is there another big difference between the two? Same noise level, signal fidelity?

Is the difference in bandwidth really that big, as per below? This is new information for me!
https://blog.digilentinc.com/whats-the-difference-student-tools/

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 09:36:22 am »
I did a 1:1 comparison here:

https://youtu.be/HXu2RxfJkKc

They perform pretty much identically. Note that since that video I am aware that Digilent have been investing time in implementing some form of interpolation in their Waveforms software, I don't know if it's been released or not yet.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf