Author Topic: Feedback about videos from GW-Instek on YouTube  (Read 3541 times)

Offline pascal_swedenTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Feedback about videos from GW-Instek on YouTube
« on: July 11, 2016, 01:08:59 am »
I have watched several videos from GW-Instek on YouTube recently, and I wanted to share some general feedback on these videos, to hear what other forum users think about these videos, and possibly get feedback and more insights =)

Maybe there is also a product manager or an engineer from GW-Instek, who is an active member on this forum, and this way they can pass on the provided feedback in this post, towards the respective person or department that is responsible for the videos, and maybe even to the presenter itself! :)

So, here is my general feedback on these videos:

Feedback item 1: Comparison videos
===========================

In all of the comparison videos, the speaker keeps saying the full model number, both for the GW-Instek device, and for the competitor's device, during the entire video, every single time, over and over, and over.....

I really don't understand why, as it makes the video very hard to follow, and it just becomes ridiculous!

First, I thought, that this might just be for one or two videos, but in fact, it is in all of their videos.

Then I started to wonder, if this is a "GW-Instek" company culture thing, or if this could be a "Taiwanese" presentation culture thing?

AFAIK any teacher, educator, lecturer, or person holding a presentation, further referred to as presenter, normally starts with an introduction, where the model number is explained once in full detail, together with the type and function of the device.

After that single introduction, the presenter refers to the device with a shortcut name for abbreviation.

The videos would be so much easier to follow, if they would stick with the full model numbers in the introduction, and use the introduction also as an opportunity to provide brief information about the price range and feature set of the device, to properly position the device first against the counterpart competitor's device.

After a proper informative and concise introduction, they should really stick to the shortcut abbreviation in the remainder of the video, and only refer to "our spectrum analyzer", "the spectrum analyzer from X", "our oscilloscope", "the oscilloscope from Y".

If they want brand recognition, they could of course use "the GW-Instek spectrum analyzer", or to keep it a bit shorter, "the GW-Instek device".

If you think, that I am exaggerating, please do watch the videos about the GDS-2000A series, GDS1000B series, and GSP9300 series, and watch for yourself, and become mad after some very short time! :)

Gee Dee Es Two Zero Zero Zero Eigh, Gee Dee Es One Zero Zero Zero Bee, Gee Es Pee Nine Three Zero Zero Zero, ......................... Gee Dee Es Two Zero Zero Zero Eigh,

Feedback item 2: Demonstration videos
=============================

I really don't understand the goal and value of their demonstration videos.

They don't give an introduction, about what test they are going to do, what the objectives are of the test, what parameters that are used for the test, and what parameters they are trying to measure.

They just ramble a number of actions that you have to do, with random numbers and values,
which seems totally useless..... or does one need a hard copy of a story board or test script at hand, together with the videos, to understand and capture a single point of the video?

If they talk about a specific modulation type, why don't they first give an overview of all the modulation types that their device supports? Or maybe give a short introduction about the specific modulation type.

Use some graphics, slides, pictures. Use a white board. Make it more instructive.
GW-Instek is a big company, and they should have plenty of class rooms, with a big white board.

It's just unbelievable how the demonstration video is put together, and how they can even consider that it provides any value to the audience!

If you think, that I am exaggerating, please do watch the videos about the GSP9300 series, and check for yourself, and become mad after some very short time! :)

Demo kit for Gee Es Pee Nine Three Zero Zero Zero,
Option Control, Select F4, Press F1 Twice, Press Modulation, Select eF eS Kay, Press Frequency,
Four Three Three ....
Select Binary Code One Zero One Zero One Zero One Zero...... Sequence Five.....

Conclusion
=========

This is just too crazy for words!!!!!!

Appreciate if other forum users can take a look at some of their videos, and provide feedback.

Hopefully we can get hold of a GW-Instek product manager, engineer, or distributor that carries GW-Instek gear, and has contacts with the main office :)

Maybe this is their number, which the presenter would present as per below =)
1-800-GW-INSTEK, One Eight Zero Zero Gee Wee In Ste Ke

GW-Instek really has to get their act together on their comparison videos and their demonstration videos.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 02:00:30 am by pascal_sweden »

Online CustomEngineerer

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Feedback about videos from GW-Instek on YouTube
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 03:51:18 am »
Watched a several of their videos a couple of months ago. Agree 100%. There were more I had wanted to watch but just couldn't stand anymore.

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 06:21:30 am »
Indeed, they're terrible. Not sure it's an official channel, pathetic if it is. Also as you've mentioned the test setup is often not properly explained and only serves the purpose of our product >  theirs. Of course someone experienced recognises this and instantly gets annoyed(a number of tek/keysight pdfs come to mind) but I can imagine someone inexperienced getting tricked.

Would rather see how the scope behaves in actual use, setting it up for the measurement included. I really like what R&S are doing with their vids. Using our scope X to tackle problem Y.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 06:24:51 am »
Indeed, they're terrible. Not sure it's an official channel, pathetic if it is.

That's nothing. Have you seen the Brymen web site?

http://www.brymen.com.tw/product-html/index.html

Offline lem_ix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 06:36:23 am »
Indeed, they're terrible. Not sure it's an official channel, pathetic if it is.

Amazing that they manage to do any business at all. Or maybe the site was coded from a brymen meter and they're showing off the feature? Measure and make 90s style websites at the same time :palm:
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 06:42:27 am by lem_ix »

Offline PigSpark

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 07:58:36 am »
Have seen most of the GW video's and they are a bit laughable however, you have to appreciate that English is not their first language so they are presenting their interpretation.

Products are good though, despite the comedy video!  :-+

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 08:30:40 am »
Regardless of the content and how that man struggles to describe the idea on English, what amazes me is video quality. Not much better than if taken on VHS camera  :-//. Should some of the employees borrow his smartphone, that would be order of magnitude better.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 05:11:24 pm »
The design of Brymen webpage was created in year 2002, maybe earlier.
https://web.archive.org/web/20020328044904/http://www.brymen.com.tw/product-html/index.html
I have no problem with that, but it is very strange.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 05:24:17 pm »
Some companies in China, produce only one single product, or a very limited range of products, and they keep producing the same product for years, without any single improvement.

This works fine for some simple products, that serve a specific purpose and fulfill a specific requirement.
E.g. metric ruler, pencil bag, hair dryer, shaving machine.

But even for those products some innovation over the years wouldn't harm.

And what about the workers in those factories. Imagine that some people might have worked in the same factory from when they left high school or university up to retirement, and that in all those years, they have only produced one single product, that did not evolve whatsoever over the years.

It can be questioned how it is possible that nobody of the workers ever reported a concern about this, or even better reported some ideas to their management about further improving the product, given that they produce the product, and might have learned over the years, where exactly the flaws are in the product :)

If we look at this from a management perspective. As a manager or director of such a factory, wouldn't you feel bad for your workers, that all they have done during their career, is related to one single product?
Don't they have any conscience there in China? I would feel bad as a manager, if the skills and knowledge of my people would not evolve over the years. In fact I even consider this kind of bad management style as an actual crime! When companies go down in Europe, the management can be sewed for personal liability, even if the company is a Limited Company, because their bad management practises are seen as a direct cause of the company going down, resulting in the loss of many jobs, and causing economic damage to the workers. But even if the company is running well, and there are no jobs lost, meaning there is no economic damage, the operating style of the company should be monitored, and should be threated in the same way, as when a company goes into receivership.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 05:36:07 pm by pascal_sweden »

Offline FrozenHaxor

• Contributor
    • My random stuff
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 05:44:16 pm »

Now that's a blast from the past O_O

A bit on the ridiculous side tho, lol.

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 05:51:38 pm »
This is their official youtube channel. In september 2015, they started using a HD video camera, lol.
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Deuze

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 03:31:25 am »
Indeed!!! Totally agree, every time I hear those model names, I just want to  |O.   It is the same what OWON did to their demonstration videos  :blah:
Always on a trip....

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 08:33:00 am »
If you know about other similar YouTube videos, please feel free to share the link here! :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 09:16:19 am by pascal_sweden »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf