Author Topic: Racal Dana frequency counters  (Read 17412 times)

Offline enut11

• Super Contributor
  • Love building/modifying/restoring test equipment
Re: Racal Dana frequency counters
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2015, 09:19:19 am »
Hi. Hope this is the right place to post this. I have a Racal Dana 9916 UHF frequency counter and I would like to pull it apart. It has a (heavy) cast metal chassis with plates top and bottom. The plate have 4 screws. When I remove the screws the top plate will not budge. HELP.
an electronics nut from wayback...

Offline DeathwishTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2015, 09:39:18 am »
never opened one, try removing the rear panel to see why its stuck, failing that use the universal kit opener.

Electrons are typically male, always looking for any hole to get into.
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Online Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2015, 12:00:11 pm »
Hi. Hope this is the right place to post this. I have a Racal Dana 9916 UHF frequency counter and I would like to pull it apart. It has a (heavy) cast metal chassis with plates top and bottom. The plate have 4 screws. When I remove the screws the top plate will not budge. HELP.

You're only half-way there. The manual says to remove the rubber plugs and slacken some more screw: section 5.1.
http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/download.php?file=Racal/Racal_Dana_9916_Frequency_Counter_Service_Manual.pdf

Offline enut11

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2015, 11:06:22 pm »
Hi Andy. Thanks heaps for the 9916 workshop manual. This will be invaluable as I do not have a user manual either. I was able to dismantle the unit and had a good look inside. Fortunately I did not need deathwish's special tool!

As I have just purchased the unit I am trying to determine if the internal frequency standard is OK.

I do not have a specific use for ultra accuracy at present. I just like fiddling with old stuff and getting the best out of it.

enut11

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2015, 11:16:26 pm »
Hi Andy. Thanks heaps for the 9916 workshop manual. This will be invaluable as I do not have a user manual either. I was able to dismantle the unit and had a good look inside. Fortunately I did not need deathwish's special tool!

As I have just purchased the unit I am trying to determine if the internal frequency standard is OK.

I do not have a specific use for ultra accuracy at present. I just like fiddling with old stuff and getting the best out of it.

enut11

I've just bought a big box of Racal 5MHz frequency standards of varying sorts. Haven't collected them yet and it'll take a few days to test them, but shout if you need one.

Offline enut11

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2015, 12:04:59 am »
Thanks kjds. Do you know if the Racal 5MHz standards are good wrt stability and drift? This is a new subject matter for me and I am trying to understand what is important and why. Also, the 9916 has provision at the rear for an external standard input so am looking at what's out there. All low key at present as I read and learn more.
enut11

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2015, 08:29:12 am »
Those big Racal standards are great, there are some details in the link below

http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/2.121.199.214/Racal_9400_series_OCXOs_annotated.pdf

but if anyone else has any info on them I'd appreciate it.

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2015, 09:27:44 am »

enut11

Sigh, me too but it just keeps pointing at the ground  :--

Kev, if you have a 9462 unit in that lot let me know will you, i would like a spare
trying to strangle someone who talks out of their rectal cavity will fail, they can still breath.
God hates North Wales, he has put my home address on the blacklist of all couriers with instructions to divert all parcels.

Offline enut11

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2015, 09:36:52 am »

http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/2.121.199.214/Racal_9400_series_OCXOs_annotated.pdf

Hi kjds, the Racal OCXO link did not work...

• Supporter
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2015, 09:47:40 am »

Hi kjds, the Racal OCXO link did not work...

http://www.ko4bb.com/manuals/86.153.249.8/Racal_9400_series_OCXOs_annotated.pdf

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf