Author Topic: Siglent They filed a "wrongful trademark claim"  (Read 347932 times)

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent They filed a "wrongful trademark claim"
« Reply #725 on: November 01, 2015, 03:30:10 pm »
It's listed!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/-/272033174934?

Yes, but as a bidding auction, not a "buy it now!"  :palm:

Offline dadler

• Supporter
« Reply #726 on: November 01, 2015, 05:57:27 pm »
On the topic of "brown market"... Is that a common term?

I've only heard "grey market"... And Google yields this: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The+Brown+Market

Maybe that's what Siglent had in mind?

Online tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #727 on: November 01, 2015, 08:39:44 pm »
I was wondering that, too.

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
  • Antique Test Equipment Collector
    • Steve's Antique Technology
« Reply #728 on: November 01, 2015, 09:18:13 pm »
You'd have to have a pretty big butt to pull one of those out of it.  :phew:

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #729 on: November 01, 2015, 09:54:45 pm »
Shows up for me here on eBay.com in the USA just under the US listings in the "International Listings".  But it is listed as "New", not used.

I thought they were targeting "new" ones?
Should I take it down and relist as "used"

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #730 on: November 01, 2015, 10:42:47 pm »
Shows up for me here on eBay.com in the USA just under the US listings in the "International Listings".  But it is listed as "New", not used.

Seems to be a lack of any used Siglent equipment from non dealers.
We are waiting to see if any "used" equipment gets posted by users and then gets removed. New or used might not matter as long as it's cheaper than their dealer list price.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #731 on: November 01, 2015, 10:52:49 pm »
Ok, cancelled and relisted as Used.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/-/272033927031?

Offline engiadina

• Contributor
« Reply #732 on: November 01, 2015, 11:01:40 pm »
Actually, if you post a link like this I seriously doubt that Siglent will do anything. If they take this auction down ... well ...

You should have posted that device under a different account without giving a link, even without exactly telling that it is on sale.

Offline Dinsdale

• Regular Contributor
    • pretzelogic
« Reply #733 on: November 01, 2015, 11:17:47 pm »
Congrats on the nice outcome for you, OldSchoolTechCorner.

At least Riglent and I understand each other now: I understand that your equipment has no resale value,
and you understand why I don't by your products any more.
This can't be happening.

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #734 on: November 01, 2015, 11:42:32 pm »
On the topic of "brown market"... Is that a common term?

I've only heard "grey market"... And Google yields this: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=The+Brown+Market

Maybe that's what Siglent had in mind?

:-DD I have to admit I felt kind of out of the loop - I'd always known such stuff as grey market going back decades, and just figured there is some new version of that market too in this paradigm shift of global market forces that t'internet has foisted upon us.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #735 on: November 01, 2015, 11:42:41 pm »

I thought you were trying to get them to cancel it?

Should be "new" and "buy it now".

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor
« Reply #736 on: November 01, 2015, 11:48:58 pm »

Umm... Have you tried to do a search for "Siglent" and filtered on "Used" recently??

Now compare that with any other brand. (Though even the low volume of Rigol is a little suspicious)

Of course I believe this is because Siglent gear is so fantastic that nobody would ever dream of selling it. I'm sure the CEO will confirm this is the reason nobody sees it for second hand sale in the forthcoming interview with Dave ;)

Offline PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #737 on: November 02, 2015, 12:07:12 am »
Umm... Have you tried to do a search for "Siglent" and filtered on "Used" recently??

Yes, just done that on UK Ebay and there were no used items. Broadened to worldwide and 1 used popped up (Dave's new listing). Early days, though - the OP listed his kit OK, and it was a day or two later it got taken down.

Having said that, Siglent would need to be particularly dumb to do anything to Dave's listing. I mean, they are watching this thread and know what's going down, exactly which listing it is, etc. You would expect them to do nothing a for a month or two before trying it on again (if they're going to) - any that slip through in that time are small beer.

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #738 on: November 02, 2015, 01:02:40 am »
I think I have the old box, I'll sell it "as-new", maybe 99 cent start  >:D
The flash of light when Siglent blows its lid is going to be visible from space! :-DD

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #739 on: November 02, 2015, 01:07:54 am »

Mixed messages.  :popcorn:

Offline nbritton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #740 on: November 02, 2015, 02:17:50 am »
maybe 99 cent start  >:D

I think you're overestimating the value of Siglent gear.  :-DD

Offline Rasz

• Super Contributor
    • My random blog.
« Reply #741 on: November 02, 2015, 12:42:44 pm »
/got late to a party :(

Can anybody at Siglent distinguish a counterfeit unit from a real one just by looking at eBay pictures and descriptions?   :-//

counterfeit is not factory RUSTED

Once again, it had nothing at all to do with a person selling their used instrument. We made the careless mistake of assuming this was a unauthorized dealer trying to sell against our authorized dealers. Siglent - and our competitors - uses authorized distribution partners. When someone tries to compete against an authorized distributor (who has invested time and money to carry our line)  at some discounted price, the legitimate ones do not like it and we fully understand that. We can not - and we do not - tell our distributors what price they can or cannot charge. We do, however, have the common practice of not allowing them to advertise at a price different from list price. Again, this is a very common industry practice. But I will repeat, our distributors can sell at whatever price they wish.

So, it might appear that we were trying to prevent an individual from selling their Siglent generator on eBay but that was not our intention. The Siglent employee apparently thought it was a new unit being sold by a dealer that she did not know.

wtf

Quote from: Siglent
Excuse me.I just finished checking all details on this case. I did really not receive your email about this issue. And now I think I could explain the reason for you.
First,we claim it  because that you are not our registered reseller.
Second, your marked price$700 is lower than our end-user price $935.Actually,We have a lot of distributors in the local area, in order to protect their rights and interests, we have to control the  price. And I did't see you marked your item as a used one.
So we affirmed that your item is a fake.

Each SIGLENT instrument has its own serial number. Please send it to us.You can find the serial number at the rear panel of instrument.  After we confirm the serial number, we will withdraw the complaint on Ebay.
And please change your price on Ebay.

W T F? Steve are you stupid? or do you think we are? Stop with the lone employee non legal simply asked because counterfeit and not price fixing at all BS :/

FTC needs to hear about this.

...protect our customers from purchasing a brown-market instrument...

Again, I know that some people will refuse to accept this or any other explanation

Oh, we all understand your explanation, you explained how you ISSUE FRAUDULENT DMCA to remove legal listings in order to fix prices for your distributors.

OEM BNC CAPS[/b]

really? wow, really??? is that all you got? blaming the victim now? just wow  :palm: are you sure it wasnt lack of visible rust on the cover?

One thing is I am fair, it was illegal what they did and they have to fully aware of that, so it won't happen again and they take corrective measurements to ensure it won't happen. Yes I will allow them to resolve the issue first and let them withdraw the eBay case, as they claim to have talk to them already. As did receive the phone call and GM does want to make it right

Talk to a lawyer first. Siglent might want to 'make it right' with a free scope or some other garbage offer while Lawyer will give you a solid 4-5 digit settlement number. Talk to a lawyer even if you dont intend to proceed with any legal action, just to keep your options open.
Who logs in to gdm? Not I, said the duck.
My fireplace is on fire, but in all the wrong places.

Offline WN1X

• Supporter
« Reply #742 on: November 02, 2015, 01:12:33 pm »
counterfeit is not factory RUSTED

:-DD
- Jim

Offline OldSchoolTechCornerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #743 on: November 02, 2015, 01:54:49 pm »
One thing is I am fair, it was illegal what they did and they have to fully aware of that, so it won't happen again and they take corrective measurements to ensure it won't happen. Yes I will allow them to resolve the issue first and let them withdraw the eBay case, as they claim to have talk to them already. As did receive the phone call and GM does want to make it right

Talk to a lawyer first. Siglent might want to 'make it right' with a free scope or some other garbage offer while Lawyer will give you a solid 4-5 digit settlement number. Talk to a lawyer even if you dont intend to proceed with any legal action, just to keep your options open.

I did a couple actually that very knowledgeable on these types of cases, if eBay account was suspended, or banned then yes could have had a solid 4-5 digit settlement number, but due to barely no damage and they ended up reversing claim, so no damage at all, would have been lucky if would have gotten $800 bucks and been more trouble then it worth. Then as far as them filing the false IP claim. Yes you can report them and they may get fine, eBay the ones that ultimately has to go after them on that. So best bet was to let them correct the mistake admin fault to eBay to have them reverse claim and remove it from account, I never made a gag order deal with them, they offer it, I didn't ask. I looked at all options, so knew what I was dealing with and how to go about it.

Yes we all know there is no fake Siglents on the market and know the story of the "young women straight out of college story" is complete BS. Not worth the cost that would be involve to even counterfeit one, if someone wanted to, it not a mass-marketed product. Plus they just did for "price fixing/control", it a common practice in China, they just didn't do it on a wide market spread, like affecting other competitors. If they force other competitors like Rigol to change price, then would have been able to get a easy 5-6 digit settlement and they would have been out millions after fees, competitors going after them and ETC.

If anything they just shot themselves in the foot as people look at Siglents products vs competitor's and see no resale value on Siglent product's due to lack of any sold. That plays a big part in some people making a decision on what brand to buy, as if a project get cancel, or want to upgrade down the road, or want to try it and don't meet my needs, as was expecting to. You want to know how much your likely get back for it. If I go to competitor and see high resale value and getting most my cost back, while Siglent you lose almost half your money and hard to resell. Then that choice will be quite clear to some. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 02:17:10 pm by OldSchoolTechCorner »

Offline SLJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #744 on: November 02, 2015, 03:26:56 pm »
Just purchased a new Rigol.   Was also looking at the Siglent then this happened and made my choice for me.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #745 on: November 02, 2015, 03:46:27 pm »
OSTC, have you contacted the FTC (or however is the appropriate body) about this?  It's surely worth just letting them know about it, then they can choose if they want to pursue it.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #746 on: November 02, 2015, 03:50:56 pm »
OSTC, have you contacted the FTC (or however is the appropriate body) about this?  It's surely worth just letting them know about it, then they can choose if they want to pursue it.

Was one of the first things I did.

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #747 on: November 02, 2015, 03:56:18 pm »

Cool.  Did they take an interest?

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #748 on: November 02, 2015, 04:00:38 pm »

Cool.  Did they take an interest?

Both did, but think they are waiting for them get other complaints and proof that they did it a few time before taking action, as I guess to proof it not a mistake as they so claim and was intentional. They clearly said they are in the wrong and is punishable. 
« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 04:02:55 pm by OldSchoolTechCorner »

Offline Delta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #749 on: November 02, 2015, 04:03:50 pm »
Fair enough.  May I just say that despite me being in a different country and having no intention of buying Siglent gear, I genuinely appreciate you publicising and reporting this incident.  In the long run it can only help consumers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf