Author Topic: Siglent They filed a "wrongful trademark claim"  (Read 340116 times)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Siglent They filed a "wrongful trademark claim"
« Reply #500 on: October 26, 2015, 04:06:37 am »
Shortsight

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #501 on: October 26, 2015, 04:10:46 am »
Sh!tsight

Offline CrashO

• Supporter
« Reply #502 on: October 26, 2015, 04:29:05 am »
caughtlent

Offline OldSchoolTechCornerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #503 on: October 26, 2015, 05:36:59 am »
Riglent

Offline retrolefty

• Super Contributor
  • measurement changes behavior
« Reply #504 on: October 26, 2015, 05:40:34 am »
BrushOffLent

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #505 on: October 26, 2015, 05:51:59 am »
Repellent.  :rant:

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #506 on: October 26, 2015, 05:56:59 am »
GameOverlent

Offline engiadina

• Contributor
« Reply #507 on: October 26, 2015, 06:29:07 am »
NoSight

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #508 on: October 26, 2015, 07:24:20 am »
GivingupforLent!

Or maybe,

Ambivalent.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:26:13 am by vk6zgo »

Offline pickle9000

• Super Contributor
« Reply #509 on: October 26, 2015, 07:31:57 am »
Hemorrhoid

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #510 on: October 26, 2015, 07:42:16 am »
Please Dave, before you get the padlock out to end this nonsense, there are a couple of things that I must check with others before I post some relevent points.
A few hours should be enough.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #511 on: October 26, 2015, 10:11:12 am »
..kant tipe stilll laughing...
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline Macbeth

• Super Contributor

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #513 on: October 26, 2015, 10:40:50 am »
I can't help but  :-DD

Hemorrhoid
Fantastic!  :-+

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #514 on: October 26, 2015, 10:48:51 am »
Come on people! Lets be patient and see what Siglent comes up with!
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #515 on: October 26, 2015, 11:18:37 am »
This, for the record needs be said, even at the risk of inflaming this thread.  |O

There is much info in this thread, it's just how it's been interpreted, or not, or just plainly and/or arrogantly ignored that needs be addressed.

Firstly I'll not condone Siglent China's actions, be they lawful or otherwise and I won't pretend to make any judgement of lawful or otherwise pratice Siglent may or may not have committed, as it is not my speciality or place to do so.

Any lawful or otherwise behaviour that may or may not be addressed by authorities is not for us to be judge, jury and executioner over as this will only cloud due process.

Siglent have taken a massive pounding in this thread and some of it argueably is well deserved for "as we perceive" their misguided actions of their "so called" reseller protection. That Siglent have also taken a substantial hit in "brand value" is undeniable, not only Siglent but their valued customers and we dealers too.
But enough of crying over split milk, these events cannot now be quickly reversed, forgotten nor made to "go away".

All this may have been prevented if a Siglent website statement had been made, warning of possibly fraudulent product copies and then prospectiver buyers could then apply caveat emptor just as has been pointed out earlier in this thread.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That now said, I'd like to take a tour of 2 basic facts:

1. We no longer have the eBay listing to refer to but we do have the images the OP OldSchoolTechCorner states he used for the eBay listing.
2. We have communications from Siglent America from Siglent China stating the staffer that mistakenly flagged the eBay listing as suspect in "Siglent's eyes" and an explanation of her actions.

Why are just these 2 things so important?
Look at this image from the FIRST POST in this thread and ask; What is unusual about it?

There is only one answer in this pic that is relevant to root cause of this debacle.....OEM BNC CAPS

WHY?
OldSchoolTechCorner listed this item as "MINT" and "USED" and indeed it was, but at first glance or just a study of the eBay image ANYBODY MIGHT ASSUME it was a new unit with BNC protector caps installed, just as new units are.

BUT all this happened in CHINA where English is only a SECOND language and to my mind clearly explains Siglent's mistaken course of action and this ensuing debacle.

WHY?
My frequent communications with China have to be carefully worded for Siglent's clear understanding. A visit to Siglent HQ last year also alerted me to this fact.
This is also why Siglent support commonly ask for videos or pictures when assisting requests for help from customers and also one of the good reasons why Siglent America was established.

We know Siglent has OWNED UP to a MISTAKE made in flagging this unit as possibly fraudulent and I ask you; if English was not your first language and relying on the images might you have made this same  mistake too?
If the Siglent staffer took the time to check OldSchoolTechCorner's eBay feedback instead of focusing on that they saw in the images AND OldSchoolTechCorner's 2000+ ebay transactions, they might have come to a very different conclusion rather than: WARNING.....RESELLER:scared:

Through Siglent USA we've all been given the explanation of events and then some plainly choose to ignore them, even accusing the GM of Siglent America of LYING.  :wtf:  :--

Talk about shooting the messenger.  |O

There are no lies above, only facts and one might hope a few others might also see them now too.  :-//

Again, I'll not condone Siglent China's actions, be they lawful or otherwise but the core cause of this "mistake" was inexperience and language issues.

In closing I very much hope Siglent reassigns resources from "market meddling" to focus on; further Firmware and product development and add a Siglent website statement warning of possible fradulent products featuring an online SN validity check.

These are my views and mine alone without influence from Siglent or any of their employees.

tautech
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #516 on: October 26, 2015, 11:34:34 am »
This, for the record needs be said, even at the risk of inflaming this thread.  |O

WHY?
OldSchoolTechCorner listed this item as "MINT" and "USED" and indeed it was, but at first glance or just a study of the eBay image ANYBODY MIGHT ASSUME it was a new unit with BNC protector caps installed, just as new units are.

Which, for the record is still irrevelent.  He can sell it used, or brand spanking new (if indeed still new) for $1 if he wishes.

Offline Karel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #517 on: October 26, 2015, 11:37:16 am »
In closing I very much hope Siglent ... blah blah

In keeping this thread open, I hope Siglent will be more carefull in the future, knowing that people are aware of this.
Companies shouldn't get away with this by closing threads about their behaviour. It smells like you want to censor. Or plain damage control. Bad idea.

Offline SteveLy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #518 on: October 26, 2015, 11:45:44 am »
I never said, or mention legal action yet and haven't even reach the point to cross that bridge yet, or considering it yet. ...
Sorry, my poorly directed smartarse remarks (few pages ago) were aimed at our resident 'not a lawyer' legal expert, not yourself. Btw, congratulations on starting the hottest thread on the EEVBlog forums for quite some time.

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #519 on: October 26, 2015, 11:46:32 am »

The caps , they look as MINT as they would on a MINT USED piece of equipment.

In the interest of time and keystrokes I'll quote Confucious:
"When the wise man points at the Moon, the idiot looks at the finger"

If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline andtfoot

• Supporter
« Reply #520 on: October 26, 2015, 11:48:50 am »
In closing I very much hope Siglent ... blah blah

In keeping this thread open, I hope Siglent will be more carefull in the future, knowing that people are aware of this.
Companies shouldn't get away with this by closing threads about their behaviour. It smells like you want to censor. Or plain damage control. Bad idea.
Errr... I'm pretty sure "in closing" was referring to his post, not the thread.

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #521 on: October 26, 2015, 11:52:08 am »
There is only one answer in this pic that is relevant to root cause of this debacle.....OEM BNC CAPS

With all due respect... Seriously?

No, sorry.  I think anybody interested in buying it would assume it was well looked after.  It was described as Used and MINT.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #522 on: October 26, 2015, 11:53:55 am »
Please Dave, before you get the padlock out to end this nonsense, there are a couple of things that I must check with others before I post some relevent points.
A few hours should be enough.

TBH i dont think this thread should be locked.

I never had any intention of locking this thread.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #523 on: October 26, 2015, 11:54:57 am »
When all is said and done, it comes down to what is the situation NOW. At least from my POV here in North America, I STILL see only TWO Siglent items listed as used in Ebay. Unless that number rises significantly in the next few months, at least personally, I will take as a primary indication that they are still up to their old sleazy tricks, no matter what was said in public.  Actions speak louder than words.

I am also expecting that @OldSchoolTechCorner will let us know when the Ebay situation is completely cleared up including expunging his record from the false claims by Siglent's employee.

And I take this whole sorry scenario as a reminder to beware the difference in attitude and behavior we see between various parts of the planet. Caveat Emptor indeed. Even more so in the age of the global economy.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #524 on: October 26, 2015, 11:59:23 am »
@Tautech: you are basically repeating what Steve already posted.
I have two problems with the explaination:

1) Lack of knowledge of the English language cannot be an excuse for this mistake. Siglent should have assigned somebody capable of doing the task properly! AFAIK complaining to Ebay can have serious (financial) consequences for a seller so better make sure a complaint is valid. Ebay is not some kind of toy market place; many people make their living from Ebay.

2) There still is the price fixing issue. Whether legal or not it is bad for the end user because there is no competition between the resellers. Some resellers have less expenses than the others so they should be able to ask a lower price where others charge more but offer great service. Either way import taxes and shipping costs will serve to increase the price of a product which has to travel far. There is no need for Siglent to fix the prices.

IMHO the only way out for Siglent is to come clean completely and publish a list with all the Ebay listings they ever have taken down. That way everybody can see for themselves whether these listings where from unauthorised resellers or people trying to sell their second hand gear. That would show how many more mistakes ('mistakes'?) where made and if it turns out to be a mistake indeed the list would at least take away the fear of having to write of Siglent gear completely. It goes without saying Siglent also needs to stop fixing the prices; it isn't a professional way of doing business and others doing it isn't an excuse.

On a personal note: I imagine this is a bad situation for you which you don't deserve.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 12:01:21 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf