Author Topic: Siglent They filed a "wrongful trademark claim"  (Read 339941 times)

Offline OldSchoolTechCornerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent They filed a "wrongful trademark claim"
« Reply #100 on: October 23, 2015, 05:37:24 am »
Only one that sure be responsible is the controlling officers "upper management" of the company and person who sent the notice and made the decision. No one else sure have to clean up the mess but Siglent themselves.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #101 on: October 23, 2015, 05:41:38 am »
Seems like their marketing team received training from their competitors.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #102 on: October 23, 2015, 06:09:51 am »
Isn't this all due to some guy in a Siglent sub office,  who,   as I read his email,  has English as a second language,  miss reads your eBay ad,  misses the "Used",   gets all "legal"  and eBay fawn to legal type threats. 
I think the Siglent America guy needs a bit of time to sort it out.  I suspect someones ears are hurting about now.
Quite a few people are watching how both Siglent and eBay respond.   
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #103 on: October 23, 2015, 06:24:27 am »
Isn't this all due to some guy in a Siglent sub office,  who,   as I read his email,  has English as a second language,  miss reads your eBay ad,  misses the "Used",   gets all "legal"  and eBay fawn to legal type threats. 
I think the Siglent America guy needs a bit of time to sort it out.  I suspect someones ears are hurting about now.
Quite a few people are watching how both Siglent and eBay respond.
You're not kidding, I'm quietly f***ing fuming. How could they do this to their dealers?  :palm:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #104 on: October 23, 2015, 06:44:39 am »
Dave might need a picture of the CEO for identification purposes just to make sure he is the real deal, there could be unauthorized copies being distributed for all we know..... :phew:
Chinese counterfeit copy of CEO...?
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: October 23, 2015, 06:48:39 am »
Dave might need a picture of the CEO for identification purposes just to make sure he is the real deal, there could be unauthorized copies being distributed for all we know..... :phew:

Every SIGLENT CEO has its own serial number. Please send it to us. You can find the serial number at the rear of the CEO. After we confirm the serial number, we will withdraw the complaint.

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #106 on: October 23, 2015, 06:54:32 am »
Only one that sure be responsible is the controlling officers "upper management" of the company and person who sent the notice and made the decision. No one else sure have to clean up the mess but Siglent themselves.

The responsibility lies with the board. It may be caused by some moron down the chain but the buck stops with them. Not that I expect them to do anything other than trying to talk the issue away.

I also doubt this was the only case (it's probably just the ony case we have heard of yet).

But yeah, great to see them investing their efforts in chasing down those pesky second hand sellers on ebay when they could for example just work to fix their shit firmware of the SDS2000 instead  :palm:

It shows where their priorities are.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #107 on: October 23, 2015, 06:59:02 am »
I don't even know why they worry about and go after used items being sold on eBay. All they are doing is effectively hurting themselves and their dealers, as people see no resale value of Siglent products and makes them hesitant to buy new Siglent products as afraid they will lose most of it value when they go to upgrade, or resell it later on, due to no real used market value to based price off and they go to the competition see good resale value, as some people do makes a decision also based on that to. So they are not protecting their dealers as they claim, if anything they are hurting them pulling this crap.

I don't agree with eBay on some of their policies, but in this case don't blame them at all, as they can be held liable otherwise, so they had no choice in the matter.   

I have a good feeling they did this to a few others, as not much used Siglent products that shows up in search results as being sold and a couple listings seen disappear. 
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 07:05:18 am by OldSchoolTechCorner »

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2015, 07:05:23 am »
This is total BS, Dave needs to make a rant video, due to the forum popularity not everyone is going to see this thread.

Offline tec5c

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #109 on: October 23, 2015, 07:05:56 am »
I keep waiting for Siglent to rebrand themselves into something like Locksight (keys are for locks, ya?) or Keysighted. This eBay kerfuffle may just be the push they need to take the (IMO) inevitable plunge.  :clap:

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #110 on: October 23, 2015, 07:23:34 am »
... as people see no resale value of Siglent products and makes them hesitant to buy new Siglent products as afraid they will lose most of it value when they go to upgrade, or resell it later on, due to no real used market value to based price off and they go to the competition see good resale value, as some people do makes a decision also based on that to. So they are not protecting their dealers as they claim, if anything they are hurting them pulling this crap.

Lack of used items on ebay can be interpreted as people holding on to good equipment.

Offline GNU_Ninja

• Regular Contributor
  • Mostly Harmless
« Reply #111 on: October 23, 2015, 07:32:36 am »
Double take! ... A Chinese company complaining something is FAKE  :wtf:

Is this for real  :-DD

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #112 on: October 23, 2015, 07:55:35 am »
Maybe Siglent got afraid of people dumping their slightly used equipment because they didn't like their equipment? If equipment comes onto the market after a couple of years it is not a problem but if people sell equipment which is only a couple of months old it will hurt sales of new equipment. Why buy new if you can get a brand new second hand unit? I don't buy the fake product argument for one second! It would require making the exact same casings, electronics, etc to make a clone which can run Siglent's firmware.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Orange

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #113 on: October 23, 2015, 07:57:36 am »
This is total BS, Dave needs to make a rant video, due to the forum popularity not everyone is going to see this thread.
I doubt that Dave is going to make any fuss about it, The CEO of Siglent is dropping by soon, and probably brings some Siglent goodies for him.

Offline nidlaX

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #114 on: October 23, 2015, 07:59:16 am »

I don't buy the fake product argument for one second! It would require making the exact same casings, electronics, etc to make a clone which can run Siglent's firmware.
So you're accusing the Siglent USA agent of lying? Well let's just gather them round the stake and get this witch hunt started then.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #115 on: October 23, 2015, 08:04:57 am »
I doubt that Dave is going to make any fuss about it, The CEO of Siglent is dropping by soon, and probably brings some Siglent goodies for him.

I don't think Dave would hide his opinion just to score some mediocre equipment.  Or A-Rate stuff either,  :-+

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #116 on: October 23, 2015, 08:10:15 am »
Bugger Dave (sorry Dave) OldSchoolTechCorner is the one that should get some goodies for what he's had to go through.
Disgraceful state of affairs is all I can say.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri
« Reply #117 on: October 23, 2015, 08:22:41 am »

I keep waiting for Siglent to rebrand themselves into something like Locksight (keys are for locks, ya?) or Keysighted. This eBay kerfuffle may just be the push they need to take the (IMO) inevitable plunge.  :clap:

:-+ saved me some typing !!!
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline nbritton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #118 on: October 23, 2015, 08:37:32 am »
No peon or first line manager, or probably even second line management, woke up one day and thought it would a good idea to screw over everyone on eBay, the direction to do this definitely came from upper management. Not only do I think this is happening to everyone on eBay, I think they have a whole team dedicated to this activity on multiple sites, probably even places like craigslist.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 08:45:10 am by nbritton »

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2015, 08:46:04 am »
Curiously - there are NO used Siglent products listed on eBay any more!
So you it appears that you can buy them - but not sell them!
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2015, 08:49:15 am »
I just checked and there is no used SIGLENT equipment on ebay.  This definitely needs to be reported to the United States Attorney Generals office.

I found one, is he also in trouble, what say you Siglent...gonsky

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Siglent-SDS1102CM-100MHz-2-Channel-DSO-Oscilloscope-/110756419542?hash=item19c998d7d6:m:mFcRE8iFAXy-ekGxQrLgHGg

The link above appears to be an equipment dealer, I dont know if he is an authorised Siglent agent.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:04:13 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2015, 08:57:21 am »
Amazed that they are replying to you in a PM but seem to be taking the "let it burn out" approach to this thread instead of putting out the building fire.

Siglent? Did you mean: silent?  :-DD

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: October 23, 2015, 09:10:50 am »
Even if they're "new" you should still be able to sell it at any price you want.

You might have got a dozen of them in unopened boxes after a company closure or something.

...or you might just be an insane millionaire or something.

It's your birthright to lose money on eBay if you want to.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 10:07:15 am by Fungus »

Offline Wuerstchenhund

• Super Contributor
  • Able to drop by occasionally only
« Reply #123 on: October 23, 2015, 09:29:39 am »
I don't buy the fake product argument for one second! It would require making the exact same casings, electronics, etc to make a clone which can run Siglent's firmware.

So you're accusing the Siglent USA agent of lying?

Yes, I actually believe they are lying. Very much so. And it's not that they have been lying before.

For a start, Siglent kit is pretty cheap, and as nctnico said it would require someone to produce the same casing, moldings, and manufacture a copy of the circuit board, produce fake manuals and so on, all of which costs money. There's a simple reason that when it comes to complex devices its usually expensive stuff that gets faked (i.e. ipods, iPhones) as this is the only way for the fakers to make some money.

This aside, when manufacturers find that there is a high number of fakes of their product they usually inform the public (i.e. via their website) and warn potential customers that there are fakes, simply because fakes have a big potential to harm a brand's image. They also introduce additional safety measures (i.e. holograms). Siglent hasn't done anything like that, and their kit still uses the crap cheap warranty seals than can be removed and re-applied easily.

Third, ebay USA doesn't show any used Siglent products, but there are still many sellers offering new kit, including sellers from China. It strongly suggests that Siglent has had more than just one auction of used equipment taken down. Which doesn't fit the narrative as fakes are rarely sold via individual sales of used kit.

But foremost, there is no single proof that something like a Siglent fake even exists.

Well let's just gather them round the stake and get this witch hunt started then.

Right, much better to take their word for granted even though all signs say they're lying, because a reputable company like Siglent would never lie, right?

Let's be apologetic and see this as a simple mistake by some individuum and not as the verly likely borderline criminal attempt to rig the sales prices that all signs suggests it is, wait for the public apology, and then close your eyes and strongly believe that they will never try that again. :palm:

This needs to be reported and investigated by the authorities. Big time.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:47:17 am by Wuerstchenhund »

Offline rjeberhardt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #124 on: October 23, 2015, 09:36:18 am »
Just noticed this thread and I'm appalled.  In my 40 years in the industry I have never come across a company acting in such a manner.  I have recently purchased a Siglent oscilloscope and, although I am happy with it, it will be the last Siglent item I buy.

Siglent please note.

Russell.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2015, 09:43:43 am by rjeberhardt »
Retired Chartered Engineer

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf