Author Topic: Siglent They filed a "wrongful trademark claim"  (Read 339978 times)

Offline fivefish

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent They filed a "wrongful trademark claim"
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2015, 08:15:47 pm »
I've stopped buying SONY products after that experience. Really...fuck them all. I couldn't care less if SONY disappears forever.

What a stupid way of running a company....  Sue the people selling your products.

Offline OldSchoolTechCornerTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2015, 08:16:08 pm »
Just a quick update: That email they have provided in the claim is invalid. kevin.fu@siglent.com. I tried a few times. Already contacted eBay about the matter to have them contact me directly.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:20:38 pm by OldSchoolTechCorner »

Offline fivefish

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2015, 08:20:42 pm »
Oh Lookee here...
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/kevin-fu/a4/38b/282

He's not been at Siglent anymore since Feb 2015.

Offline CrashO

• Supporter
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2015, 08:21:24 pm »
Just a quick update: That email they have provided in the claim is invalid. kevin.fu@siglent.com. Already contacted eBay about the matter to have them contact me directly.
A quick look on Kevin's linkedin shows that he stopped working for Siglent in February of this year  :o
Perhaps outdated contactinfo on the Siglent ebay report-thingy account?

*edit*
fivefish beat me to it  :)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2015, 08:22:58 pm »
So is it just the images that is the problem.....you own it and can take pictures of it, just don't put them on the web.  :palm:

I don't know this Kevin at Siglent but I have sent him the following email:

Hi Kevin
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-they-filed-a-'wrongful-trademark-claim'/

Please contact our valued Siglent customer and explain your actions.
An apology may also be required.

You can send EEVblog member “OldSchoolTechCorner” a personal message from this link:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/pm/?sa=send;u=111242
Use the Siglent EEVblog account to do so.

Kind Regards
tautech

So does this possible senario apply to any pic of branded equipment?
Could this have a large impact on eBay listings if "trademark infringements" were applied to many listings?

The worlds gone mad.  :palm:

Just a quick update: That email they have provided in the claim is invalid. kevin.fu@siglent.com. Already contacted eBay about the matter to have them contact me directly.

The Postfix program

Haven't had mine bounce back ......yet.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:27:03 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline CrashO

• Supporter
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2015, 08:30:41 pm »
Some searching (after I found out Kevin no longer works for Siglent) and it seems the current Marketing Manager at Siglent is Jade Wan.
Who's email is: jade.wan@siglent.com

*found out by going trough posts made here on the eevblog by the siglent account.

Might be a good idea to send him the mails. As I assume kevins mail account was terminated after he left so all mails will get bounced.

*edit*
Apparently Jade left Siglent a few weeks ago. Thanks for the heads up tautech  :-+
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 08:38:44 pm by CrashO »

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2015, 08:34:47 pm »
Could it be not a Siglent's themselves complaining, but some other patent holder, who patented design as "gray box with flat screen with rounded corners over all North America" ? There was a story with Seeedstudio getting problems with multimeters body color scheme being illegally violating someone's rights.

I believe it was SparkFun and their alleged copying of Fluke's colour scheme.  ;)
https://www.sparkfun.com/news/1428

However, I think this is inexcusable. Out of all things, why would pictures not be allowed? ???

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2015, 08:36:49 pm »
Some searching (after I found out Kevin no longer works for Siglent) and it seems the current Marketing Manager at Siglent is Jade Wan.
Who's email is: jade.wan@siglent.com

*found out by going trough posts made here on the eevblog by the siglent account.

Might be a good idea to send him the mails. As I assume kevins mail account was terminated after he left so all mails will get bounced.
Jade left Siglent some weeks ago.

Steve at Siglent USA has been informed of this debacle, but until Siglent China arrive a work in about 3-4 hrs there will be little information or explanation except maybe from Steve.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2015, 08:41:48 pm »
I try that email and is invalid

Wonder if Dave has contact info for them?

Sorry, we were unable to deliver your message to the following address.

<jade.wan@siglent.com>:
Remote host said:
550 jade.wan@siglent.com:user not exist
 [RCPT_TO]

--- Below this line is a copy of the message.

Received: from [98.138.101.128] by nm2.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 22 Oct 2015 20:40:28 -0000
Received: from [98.138.226.168] by tm16.bullet.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 22 Oct 2015 20:40:28 -0000
Received: from [127.0.0.1] by omp1069.mail.ne1.yahoo.com with NNFMP; 22 Oct 2015 20:40:28 -0000
X-Yahoo-Newman-Property: ymail-3
X-Yahoo-Newman-Id: 523458.23460.bm@omp1069.mail.ne1.yahoo.com

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2015, 08:43:01 pm »
So is it just the images that is the problem.....you own it and can take pictures of it, just don't put them on the web.  :palm:

I don't know this Kevin at Siglent but I have sent him the following email:

Hi Kevin
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-they-filed-a-'wrongful-trademark-claim'/

Please contact our valued Siglent customer and explain your actions.
An apology may also be required.

You can send EEVblog member “OldSchoolTechCorner” a personal message from this link:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/pm/?sa=send;u=111242
Use the Siglent EEVblog account to do so.

Kind Regards
tautech

So does this possible senario apply to any pic of branded equipment?
Could this have a large impact on eBay listings if "trademark infringements" were applied to many listings?

The worlds gone mad.  :palm:

The Postfix program

Haven't had mine bounce back ......yet.

I took a hour to bounce back, the other email, only a few seconds. 

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2015, 08:49:54 pm »
Could be competitor faking they are Siglent sending out fake legal notice to eBay. But does seem internal and eBay did confirm  notice was from "Siglent Technologies Co Ltd " and eBay may just not have updated contact info?

Offline John Coloccia

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2015, 08:50:33 pm »
The whole situation is pretty ridiculous, made all the more ridiculous by the concept of a Siglent counterfeit.  :-DD. Possible I suppose, but can anyone point out a counterfeit Siglent anything? I really look forward to hearing just exactly what's really going on here because it makes no sense.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2015, 08:52:49 pm »
The whole situation is pretty ridiculous, made all the more ridiculous by the concept of a Siglent counterfeit.  :-DD. Possible I suppose, but can anyone point out a counterfeit Siglent anything? I really look forward to hearing just exactly what's really going on here because it makes no sense.

Doesn't look like there is, the first result when searching for 'siglent fake' or 'siglent counterfeit' is this thread!  :-DD

Offline rx8pilot

• Super Contributor
  • If you want more money, be more valuable.
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2015, 08:58:49 pm »
This is hilarious coming from a place that is notorious worldwide for directly copying anything and everything. What may be even more funny is chasing down eBay listings for used equipment - not a whole lot or return on that effort.

I have one Rigol 2ch scope, but it is on super rainy day, never gets used status because the Tek scope that is 3x older than the Rigol company is way better and more useful. Rigol is pushing to break out of the 'low-end entry level' rut, but that is a big struggle. Siglent on the other hand would not likely make it to my bench unless I got it for free.

The way I see it, my test gear has to be trustworthy, I make career changing decisions based on the measurements I take every day. For the gear to be trusted, I first have to trust the company that makes it. China has spent decades becoming the world leader in copy-cat businesses that aim to shake up bigger legitimate companies. As the countries industry has become more sophisticated, they have a huge negative mountain to climb over even if the products are now uniquely designed and manufactured well. All Chinese companies should recognize that the past and present transgressions put them in a tough spot. Going after an individual on eBay selling a used item is laughable and ensures that I will take another few lifetimes to trust them and spend my money with them.

Factory400 - the worlds smallest factory. https://www.youtube.com/c/Factory400

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2015, 09:01:18 pm »

Wonder if Dave has contact info for them?

Why bother Dave?
We have Steve the GM of Siglent America as a member and he has been liked to this thread.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline nbritton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2015, 09:15:50 pm »
The rights owner or an agent authorized to act on behalf of the rights owner, Siglent Technologies Co Ltd, notified eBay that this listing violates intellectual property rights. When eBay receives a report of this type of violation, we remove the listing to comply with the law.

We encourage you to contact Siglent Technologies Co Ltd directly if you have any questions.

You can send an email to:
 kevin.fu@siglent.com

That wording means Siglent is trying to claim that they own the software (copyright) on the scope that you bought, this is a classic DMCA dick head move.

Sorry Siglent, I was going to buy one of your new SDG2042X AWGs, but you can go fuck yourselves now.

Thanks for posting this here.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2015, 09:22:57 pm »
This is hilarious coming from a place that is notorious worldwide for directly copying anything and everything. What may be even more funny is chasing down eBay listings for used equipment - not a whole lot or return on that effort.

I have one Rigol 2ch scope, but it is on super rainy day, never gets used status because the Tek scope that is 3x older than the Rigol company is way better and more useful. Rigol is pushing to break out of the 'low-end entry level' rut, but that is a big struggle. Siglent on the other hand would not likely make it to my bench unless I got it for free.

The way I see it, my test gear has to be trustworthy, I make career changing decisions based on the measurements I take every day. For the gear to be trusted, I first have to trust the company that makes it. China has spent decades becoming the world leader in copy-cat businesses that aim to shake up bigger legitimate companies. As the countries industry has become more sophisticated, they have a huge negative mountain to climb over even if the products are now uniquely designed and manufactured well. All Chinese companies should recognize that the past and present transgressions put them in a tough spot. Going after an individual on eBay selling a used item is laughable and ensures that I will take another few lifetimes to trust them and spend my money with them.

100% agreed and reason I started this thread. No one sure have to fear selling a used item on a open market. It didn't affect me, as sold the item in question, just the fact they even filed the legal notice about the item in question is what made me loss any respect for this company. To be honest I now regret purchasing that Siglent sdg2122x I just bought and only reason can't cancel now, as it is expected to be delivered tomorrow and bought it from TEquipment which had nothing to do with Siglent action's and don't want to cost them due to Siglent mistake, as TEquipment has been great, but may just not open it and pay the restocking fee and just spend the extra and get a known brand I won't mention if they allow me to.

I just also wonder how many others they did this to and when unnoticed, or people were scared to say anything? This will hopefully put a end to this.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 09:26:04 pm by OldSchoolTechCorner »

Siglent America

« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2015, 09:38:23 pm »
Dear OldSchoolTechCorner.

I do not know where or how this eBay message was sent to you but I apologize for the error - wherever it came from. Trust me, Siglent does not "play games" nor "..try to manipulate the market."

I have asked the factory to get back to me with an explanation of what this is about. I would ask, however, that we don't jump to quick conclusions without knowing the facts.

Someone noted that Kevin Fu left Siglent in or around February of this year. This is correct. Kevin has not been employed by Siglent since that time.

Someone else doubted that anyone would counterfeit Siglent equipment. The truth is that I know for a fact we have seen counterfeit Siglent units. We have dealt with them from this office. To be fair, I have only personally run across this one time and it was not a customer located here in the USA. Therefore, I don't know how many are out there but we have definitely seen them and the one I know about was also a generator.

I also know that we have some brown-market units being sold here in the USA. To see these people's ads, one would reasonably assume they were authorized Siglent distributors but they are not. They give no contact information except for how to order. I have written to them myself but received no response from them.

Again, I contacted the factory this afternoon on your situation so I hope to know more tomorrow. In the mean time I ask that you give me a chance to find out what is going on. Is the letter you received connected in any way to these other issues? I don't know so I won't speculate.

I appreciate your patience and I promise to get back to you by early next week, at the latest.
Thanks.
Steve

Offline MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2015, 09:40:30 pm »
Tequipment doesn't charge a restocking fee if you follow their procedure.  I had to return a Rigol scope to them and everything went fine.

From their policy:
You may return or exchange an item, with an approved RMA, within thirty (30) days of receipt. No restocking fees will be assessed if the RMA is requested within the first seven days of ownership.

You might be able to negotiate with them to waive the shipping fee too, if you order a replacement unit from them from a different manufacturer.

Read the full policy:

http://www.tequipment.net/service/how-to-order/#III

Offline nbritton

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent They filed a &quot;wrongful trademark claim&quot;
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2015, 09:42:22 pm »
Is the CEO not visiting Dave next month?  Looks like Dave has some new questions to ask him.

If Siglent ever wants my money that CEO better apologize to us when he is at Daves. In fact, I would like Dave to call him out on this. Companies that play DMCA shenanigans and screw with our fair use rights are dead to me. If I buy it that means it's my property.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 09:56:23 pm by nbritton »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2015, 09:46:34 pm »
Did you list it as "New" or "New other"?  If so, that may be the problem.

Did you file a counter notice?

It was listed as used and am working on the counter notice, just a process.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2015, 10:04:45 pm »
Could be, or info was never updated, but a DMCA to assert a trademark claim are taken very serious. eBay looking deeper into it now, but they do claim came from someone from SIGLENT TECHNOLOGIES CO., LTD, but will double check sources.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 10:17:03 pm by OldSchoolTechCorner »

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2015, 10:16:40 pm »
I don't get it, is this relevant only to the US or do Siglent have a global concern with counterfeit products, and if this is the case then it is in their best interest to disclose this in public as other companies such as Mitutoyo have done, this does absolutely nothing to help their brand name.

A search down here on Ebay brings up a stack of listings for Siglent products and has done for many years, if some of them are fake or not original as intended then as a potential purchaser I would rather know directly from the horses mouth, first I've heard of it, just madness.

Otherwise it may be some type of misguided attempt to protect Siglent distributors and structured pricing policies.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2015, 10:24:54 pm »
I don't get it, is this relevant only to the US or do Siglent have a global concern with counterfeit products, and if this is the case then it is in their best interest to disclose this in public as other companies such as Mitutoyo have done, this does absolutely nothing to help their brand name.

A search down here on Ebay brings up a stack of listings for Siglent products and has done for many years, if some of them are fake or not original as intended then as a potential purchaser I would rather know directly from the horses mouth, first I've heard of it, just madness.

Otherwise it may be some type of misguided attempt to protect Siglent distributors and structured pricing policies.
Yep Pete, it's got me flummoxed too. I just don't know what to make of this debacle.  :-//
But we'll know in a few hours when we get the official Siglent statement and presumably apology.  :-\
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2015, 10:35:11 pm »
Not sure whats going on at Teq, but no matter what url I try for them, this is all i'm getting  :palm:

I'm getting the same. Appearantly some cloudflare f-up.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf