Author Topic: Siglent SSG3000X and SSG5000X series RF Signal generators  (Read 23269 times)

Offline markus_jlrb

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SSG3000X and SSG5000X series RF Signal generators
« Reply #125 on: Yesterday at 06:33:06 pm »
I don't think that will help you at all because you can't select anything in this menu. Software nor ready for this.

Could it be the case the the menu becomes active when the internal circuit detects a signal?

Some SA allow you select an ext. ref clock only if an ext. ref clock is provided to the corresponding port.

Markus

Offline Nokia6681

• Contributor
« Reply #126 on: Yesterday at 07:51:14 pm »
My Siglent devices all have a 10 MHz input. If the device recognizes internally that a 10 MHz signal is being applied, it automatically switches to the external reference, but every frequency counter also has this, but the interface is apparently recognized differently here when you look at it If you look at it, you can see an interface extension on the mainboard and there are also 2 SMA connections on the side of the mainboard, but you shouldn't really worry about tapping into anything because nobody knows what kind of signals are or have to be generated and fed in here.

Take a look at the price difference between the device without I/Q and with it, that's a difference of 3000 euros, I took a look at it at Batronix and they don't have the additional module under accessories, but there is an additional activation option available for it, just that Without the expansion I/Q board, this activation expansion option will also be meaningless.

But if you need this option after that, I would sell the one without I/Q as best as possible and then add a lot of euros and buy one with I/Q already installed.

I don't see any possibility of growing something here that will actually work.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055

Online TurboTom

• Super Contributor
« Reply #127 on: Yesterday at 08:33:05 pm »
I don't think that will help you at all because you can't select anything in this menu. Software nor ready for this.

Could it be the case the the menu becomes active when the internal circuit detects a signal?

Some SA allow you select an ext. ref clock only if an ext. ref clock is provided to the corresponding port.

Markus

Seems like you still "want to believe" that there's some free lunch beyond the frequency upgrade... Please have a look at the photos of this contribution. The I/Q-enabled version contains a complete additional board with an "RF Magic Box" that hides the wide-band I/Q modulator itself. The two SMB sockets on the SSG3kX mainboard can be considered as a Pre-Main connection of a HiFi amplifier that permits to plug in an equalizer or the like. If you don't need it, you just link them together. This link is closed internally on the main board via a pair of semiconductor microwave switches.

The I/Q add-on board contains a direct quadrature modulator, something like the HMC1097 or similar. Then there's probably some interface, amplification, a digital communication with the main board (which probably also enables the I/Q menus) and possibly some calibration memory that permits Siglent to iron out the modulator's non-linearities. Feeding "some" signal into the main board's SMB interface won't have any effect (except you may fry the microwave switches if the signal is too strong), since you won't be able to enable the signal path via the SMBs...

Use common sense, have a good look at Nokia6681's photos of the main board and follow the signal -- hint: it's easier to follow it in reverse, from the SSG's output back to the signal generation sections -- you may learn something. The nice thing with this RF circuitry is that from a distance, the design appears pretty simple and is easy to follow - the difficulty is hidden in the details.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #128 on: Yesterday at 08:43:15 pm »
If you look at the teardown video from defpom, you can see that it's not "just" the missing IQE board, there are also empty spaces on the mainboard that need to be populated.
So you should say goodbye to the idea that it is enough to get the board somehow.
I have just done it. ;)
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline markus_jlrb

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #129 on: Today at 06:27:24 am »
Nokia6681, TurboTom, Martin72,

thanks for your effort to point out what I probably not take into consideration while thinking about this issue
of kind DIY IQ extension for the SSG3kX.

Some remarks concerning your arguments more in details.

@Nokia6681

But if you need this option after that, I would sell the one without I/Q as
best as possible and then add a lot of euros and buy one with I/Q already installed.

I don't see any possibility of growing something here that will actually work.

I have spent some Euros before on a SDG6kX with the IQ option enabled.
That's the reason I'm looking for a opportunity to feed this signal into my SSG3kX
purchased this year. If this is in general possible is one point to explore and
throw some thoughts on it instead of spending more money.

If this could not be achieved as some of your experts state I could come back to the
proposed solution and spend more money on this.
But as I'm not using my lab equipment for professional purpose but more for my hobby,
time and effort is not the first point to take into consideration. It's just the fun and challenge
to gain this goal without spent more money.

@Martin72

If you look at the teardown video from defpom, you can see that it's not "just" the
missing IQE board, there are also empty spaces on the mainboard that need to be populated.
So you should say goodbye to the idea that it is enough to get the board somehow.
I have just done it.

Thanks for this point. I have watch the YT video from defpom but honestly not notice
this. Will check this more sophisticated to catch what you mentioned.

@TurboTom

The I/Q add-on board contains a direct quadrature modulator, something like the HMC1097 or similar.

Seems that I missed some basics of the signal path, but I was convinced up to this time and this is
still the case, that when you have two sig channels (I & Q) the hf modulator has to be behind and not
before this stage. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The only point that is possible is that my assumption the both connectors at the rear of the mainboard
are I&Q is wrong.

If this is the case my idea of the IQ extension is based on wrong fundamentals so I have to apologize
for wasting your time for this discussion.

Thanks for your patience

Markus

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf