Author Topic: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers  (Read 722773 times)

Offline karl11

Re: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers
« Reply #1825 on: April 28, 2022, 07:38:56 pm »
Many thanks for this info is works. Do you have infos to roll back to SW3.2.2.4 or is this not possible so i cant' change it to SVA Firmware ?

Offline tymm

• Contributor
« Reply #1826 on: April 28, 2022, 08:07:11 pm »
for simplicity i would probably try to change the ID back and try to downgrade to SSA3021X v3.2.2.4.0 and go through the path that has been posted here from there, rather than trying to jump directly from 3.2.2.5.0

oh wait, sounds like you've already got the SVA-firmware-with-SSA-ID on there (so it thinks it's an SVA1032X?)  if so, nevermind - maybe someone else has ideas on best way forward
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 08:13:27 pm by tymm »

Offline karl11

« Reply #1827 on: April 28, 2022, 09:12:52 pm »
no it is still SSA3021+ with 3.2.2.5.0 on it an i tried to change the ID in the NSP_config_upgrade_info_xml down to 11201 and it is not possible to downgrade to 3.2.2.4.0 any ideas what i can do ?

Offline tymm

• Contributor
« Reply #1828 on: April 28, 2022, 09:55:51 pm »
Got it.  Sorry I'm not sure implications of the 3.2.2.5.0 firmware.  I expect that it is still hackable though might require some time for someone to post instructions and possibly helpful upgrade files.

Offline RoV

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1829 on: April 29, 2022, 07:52:15 am »
The manual procedure should be well usable, using standard FW 3.2.2.5 for the SVA. It is described several times in the thread.

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #1830 on: April 29, 2022, 08:08:52 am »
As you say yourself. You just changed the device ID to 11403!

This means it will from now on only accept FW releases for 11403, which should be the standard unmodified SVA FW.

The question is: did you read the full thread and understood the loopholes, especially with running out of free flash space?

Nothing is broken up to now. Just make sure you understand what you are doing!

Go through the key posts if this thread and if you have any doubt, ask before bricking your device.

Offline Major1206

• Contributor
« Reply #1831 on: April 29, 2022, 02:43:27 pm »
@karl11
Even with cross-flash you can't do the downgrade to V3.2.2.4.0 I think.
You have to cross-flash 3.2.2.5.0 SVA on V3.2.2.5.0 SSA+
I assume with 3.2.2.5.0 firmware 11411 and 11403 PIDs remain unchanged.

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1832 on: April 29, 2022, 07:41:01 pm »
Hello I have a huge problem.
My SSA3021+ was on SW 3.2.2.5.0 i tried to logon with telnet  Hack SVA1000X_telnet_11410.ads this works.
So i replaced
   <upgrade_static_id>11411</upgrade_static_id>
with
   <upgrade_static_id>11403</upgrade_static_id>
And reboot.
Then I tried to install SVA SVA1032X_V3.2.2.4.0_11411 whitch fails. I can not reach the SSA with telnet anymore i tried SVA1000X_telnet_11410 and SSA3000X+_telnet_11411 again with no connection. I there a way to bring back the restored files ? Can anybody help me ?

:palm: As Bicurico already told you, if you changed the Prod_ID to 11403, from now on, the SVA will only accept FWs with Prod_ID 11403.

The telnet script for 11403 is in the forum, somewhere. Or you can use Tymm's SCPI command above.

@karl11
Even with cross-flash you can't do the downgrade to V3.2.2.4.0 I think.
You have to cross-flash 3.2.2.5.0 SVA on V3.2.2.5.0 SSA+
I assume with 3.2.2.5.0 firmware 11411 and 11403 PIDs remain unchanged.

One can do downgrades. Just have to pay BIG attention to the Prod_ID in the FW packages and the name of the app used as the filesystem has no sufficient space to host 2 app files with different names (Siglent sometimes changes the app name...)

Offline jimku4aa

« Reply #1833 on: May 04, 2022, 05:01:13 am »
Awright! I've had my SSA3021X-Plus since Christmas, and I finally took the occasion to make some "tweaks" to it. The results are fan-dang-tastic!

My experience with the upgrade was pretty much textbook, following the direct flash advocated by tv84. The ONLY thing that I can add to the comments of those who have gone before is: Make sure you use good ethernet cables on your Telnet links. I had finished my manual backups of the original unit and was preparing to begin the reflash process. I plugged my USB stick into the back of the computer, right next to the ethernet port. Then the Telnet quit. Couldn't get it to work for anything.  |O Come to find out, the locking tab on the ethernet cable was hanging on by a thread, and the connector had worked its way out just enough to lose the link. Junk box cable for the fail.  :palm:

I know I still have to get some good calibration standards to use the VNA properly, so that will be my next acquisition. I did break out the cal standards from my NanoVNA to at least establish an initial cal, and they worked sufficiently to prove that everything was functional.

Many thanks to all you guys on this forum topic that have contributed so many hours, sweat, and tears to make this possible. Tv84, electr_peter, Bicurico, tautech, and so many more... I have learned so much!

Now let the exploring begin!  :popcorn:

Offline Tantratron

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio DSP Plasma
    • Tantratron
« Reply #1834 on: May 04, 2022, 05:27:01 am »
Has any of you got success to add or install the EMC option (EMI Receiver Measurement) on SS3021X or SSA3032X ?

Thanks, Albert

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1835 on: May 05, 2022, 01:03:04 am »
Has any of you got success to add or install the EMC option (EMI Receiver Measurement) on SS3021X or SSA3032X ?

Thanks, Albert
The EMI UI was substantially improved in the later Plus/X-R and SVA models and later the SSA3kX Plus/X-R/SVA User manual updated with how to best use it.
Still, there's quite a bit of info on EMI options in the US and EU websites in the App Notes, Operating Tips and Video sections.
https://siglentna.com/videos/ssa3000x-plus/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Tantratron

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1836 on: May 05, 2022, 01:20:33 pm »

Thanks, Albert

With SSA3000X models can do EMI Pre-compliance Measurements with isntalled EMI option. (Plus models EMI User interface etc is different)
User Interface is very different compared to Plus models.
But, works can do (also manually without "EasySpectrum" PC software).

1. (PNG9sysinfo...) System with EMI option (Old SDS3000X)

2. (PNG4detect....)  Set detector (If want QuasiPeak)
3. (PNG3RBW-E...)  Set RBW filter type EMI and select 200Hz, 9kHz or as here 120kHz 4
4. (PNG7setLim...)  If need, edit or load suitable limit
5. (PNG11-QDB...)  If QuasiPeak then also need set suitable (or required by the standard used) Dwell Time  (Quasi Peak sweep is naturally very slow so lot of preliminary work can do just with more fast DwellTime or using other detector, but then also it may need different limit.
6. (PNG12-Peak...) example here used Pos Peak with MaxHold.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 01:32:53 pm by rf-loop »
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline jimku4aa

« Reply #1837 on: May 09, 2022, 05:45:04 pm »
Hey, while on the subject of EMI: What kind of probes do y'all recommend for experimentation purposes? I know that expensive probes exist out there for real lab-grade testing (and which carry matching price tags  :o ). I'd like something that is simple, inexpensive and durable, but which does the job. Suggestions?

Offline DL4JY

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1838 on: May 12, 2022, 12:38:44 pm »
Hello,
you may wan't to check this link: http://www.bymm.de/documents/40/Nahfeldsonden_fuer_Hobby_V1_3.pdf
It is about the cheapest version - DIY.  :)
Event though the document is in German ( you can train your German language skills) there are a lot of pictures, explaining what this guy did.
And Google may help to translate.

He compared the home brew probes with commercial probes from R&S - and it seems the results are quite good.

best regards,

Juergen

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, Tantratron, Bad_Driver, jimku4aa

Offline Tantratron

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio DSP Plasma
    • Tantratron
« Reply #1839 on: May 12, 2022, 12:49:25 pm »
Hello jimku4aa,

Myself is getting into lately with EMC pre-compliance engineering test for german customer.

Do you just need near H-field and E-field probe or are you going into the game of LISN, CDE which aim at measuring conducted noise with partial radiated noise estimation from a AC-grid wire acting as an antenna.

Clearly EMC test is a niche and very expensive stuff, not easy so the DIY is great if possible.

N.B. It would interesting to have a dedicated sub-forum or thread on EMC-EMI testing technology.

Cheers, Albert

The following users thanked this post: jimku4aa

Offline RF-Engineer

• Contributor
« Reply #1840 on: May 13, 2022, 03:27:24 am »
Perhaps I missed it in the specs, but what is the maximum sweep bandwidth?  Being a digital I.F.-based analyzer, does it have the full sweep potential of more expensive analyzers?  For example, is it possible to sweep from say, 1 MHz to 200 MHz?  I would certainly like an S/A that can sweep more than a few hundred kHz across the display.

Paul

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1841 on: May 13, 2022, 03:42:49 am »
Perhaps I missed it in the specs, but what is the maximum sweep bandwidth? 
Paul
The full BW of the model.
Eg. SSA3021X/X Plus 9Khz - 2.1 GHz or any frequency range between including a zero Hz sweep at any frequency within the model's range.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Tantratron

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio DSP Plasma
    • Tantratron
« Reply #1842 on: May 13, 2022, 04:07:09 am »
Eg. SSA3021X/X Plus 9Khz - 2.1 GHz or any frequency range between including a zero Hz sweep at any frequency within the model's range.
Is it possible to choose specific start freq and end freq when displaying in LOG mode the frequency axis (i.e. EMC testing case) ?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1843 on: May 13, 2022, 04:34:53 am »
Is it possible to choose specific start freq and end freq when displaying in LOG mode the frequency axis (i.e. EMC testing case) ?
Which model series ?
X and X Plus EMI modes are very different, X Plus have a selection of EMI measurement ranges that you select and use to measure within bands.
3kX I'm sorry I don't have anymore so can't advise in any detail other than what you can find in the manuals and App notes and such on the US and EU websites.
Some info here applicable more to the SSA3kX UI than the later EMI UI in X Plus models.:
https://siglentna.com/application-note/electromagnetic-compliance-pre-compliance-conducted-emissions-testing/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Tantratron

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio DSP Plasma
    • Tantratron
« Reply #1844 on: May 13, 2022, 05:52:43 am »
Which model series ?
X and X Plus EMI modes are very different, X Plus have a selection of EMI measurement ranges that you select and use to measure within bands.
3kX I'm sorry I don't have anymore so can't advise in any detail other than what you can find in the manuals and App notes and such on the US and EU websites.
Some info here applicable more to the SSA3kX UI than the later EMI UI in X Plus models.:
https://siglentna.com/application-note/electromagnetic-compliance-pre-compliance-conducted-emissions-testing/
Sorry I should have mentioned, my question was about the SSA3kX not the Plus.
On a side note, I'm asking my previous question because it was still unanswered by Siglent representative in France plus the datasheet is very vague.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1845 on: May 13, 2022, 10:00:46 am »
Which model series ?
Sorry I should have mentioned, my question was about the SSA3kX not the Plus.
On a side note, I'm asking my previous question because it was still unanswered by Siglent representative in France plus the datasheet is very vague.
Yes.
See first screenshot in the App note linked above. This is from EMI mode in a SSA3000X, not Plus.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Tantratron

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio DSP Plasma
    • Tantratron
« Reply #1846 on: May 13, 2022, 10:43:54 am »
See first screenshot in the App note linked above. This is from EMI mode in a SSA3000X, not Plus.
Many thanks, now it is clear because when asked in France, they only said possible from this datasheet https://www.limpulsion.fr/upload/docs/SSA3000X.PDF by looking at the section

Error and Accuracy
Resolution bandwidth switching uncertainty
10 kHz RBW
Logarithmic resolution ±0.2 dB, liner resolution ±0.01, nominal

where that version of datasheet did not state clearly possible to set any start and stop freq while in LOG freq scale.

Thank you again for this clarification, Albert

« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 11:23:22 am by Tantratron »

• Super Contributor
uasi P
« Reply #1847 on: May 13, 2022, 11:41:21 am »
Many thanks, now it is clear because when asked in France, they only said possible from this datasheet https://www.limpulsion.fr/upload/docs/SSA3000X.PDF by looking at the section

where that version of datasheet states did not state clearly possible to set any start and stop freq while in LOG freq scale.

Thank you again for this clarification, Albert

As with linear freq scale also with Log freq scale you can free adjust start and stop frequencies.  You set start and stop freq or center and span just as you need/want.
Naturally not absolutely free. Start < (stop - minimum span). If I remember right minimum span is 100Hz.
And this is independent of if you then use EMI filters or normal and independent of what detector you use (often with EMC measurements we want use Quasi-Peak detector).

One limit is. Linear freq scale minimum normal gaussian RBW filter is 1Hz and maximum is 1MHz.  Log freq scale minimum RBW is 30Hz. (1) (not normaly used at all with EMC measurements.)

In this (3000X) model  available (EMI) filters are 200Hz, 9kHz and 120kHz.
Log freq scale is of course not limited to use only with EMI filters. With all start/stop/span freq combinations can use Lin or Log freq scale. (limit (1))
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 11:45:33 am by rf-loop »
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline Tantratron

• Frequent Contributor
  • Radio DSP Plasma
    • Tantratron
Re: uasi P
« Reply #1848 on: May 13, 2022, 11:53:01 am »
As with linear freq scale also with Log freq scale you can free adjust start and stop frequencies.  You set start and stop freq or center and span just as you need/want.
Naturally not absolutely free. Start < (stop - minimum span). If I remember right minimum span is 100Hz.
And this is independent of if you then use EMI filters or normal and independent of what detector you use (often with EMC measurements we want use Quasi-Peak detector).

One limit is. Linear freq scale minimum normal gaussian RBW filter is 1Hz and maximum is 1MHz.  Log freq scale minimum RBW is 30Hz. (1) (not normaly used at all with EMC measurements.)

Log freq scale is of course not limited to use only with EMI filters. With all start/stop/span freq combinations can use Lin or Log freq scale. (limit (1))

Does the SA3000X has inside programmed or stored the different limits (EN 55011 EN 55014 EN 55015...) or do we need to enter them by hand ?

• Super Contributor
Re: uasi P
« Reply #1849 on: May 13, 2022, 01:42:42 pm »

Does the SA3000X has inside programmed or stored the different limits (EN 55011 EN 55014 EN 55015...) or do we need to enter them by hand ?

Inside SSA3kX there is not factory stored limits. These can draw quite easy using SSA3kX limit editor and also save these for later use and recall. User can make his own library and keep them example in USB. 
I have not used Siglent PC software "Easy Spectrum" what may also have some features for EMC test use and perhaps also handle limits.

Of course it is also quite easy to make limits just with PC. Limit files are just text files named as xxxx.lim  (of course this need some explanation. Maximum count of limit points is 100. Between points linear interpolation. Limit points have x and y parameter. x is simply frequency. y need bit more explanation... )

Here png picture from just one limit file  (note: there is only LF, not usual CR LF))
Then also SSA display image where this just this limit is in use. (Don't be confused by the level values. Yes they are correct and logical as long as you know what they are based on, you need to explain a bit but the basis is in dBm values even though the y axis of the screen is now dBuV)

« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 05:25:47 pm by rf-loop »

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf