Author Topic: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers  (Read 731437 times)

Offline mnemonic

Re: Siglent SSA3000X and SSA3000X-Plus Spectrum Analyzers
« Reply #1675 on: August 07, 2021, 09:57:46 am »
Hi,

I just "improved" my new SSA3021x+ by cross flashing to a SVA1032X. The procedure (by electr_peter) worked flawlessly. The only thing is that my serial number is lost (showing all X's) and the unit is working in "pro mode" (SW1 is showing 3.2.2.4.0.r2), because it is missing the licenses. I wonder if it is possible to get my serialnumber back in the SVA and use only the licenses that I need most (VNA and TG)?

Tnx,

Mnemonic

Offline khutch004

• Contributor
« Reply #1676 on: August 07, 2021, 03:56:11 pm »
I just got a SSA3021X Plus and right out of the box it is a very nice piece of gear. I'm an EE who is about to retire after over forty years and for much of that time I have been an RF engineer. Since I restore old tube radios and plan to get my amateur station on the air again the thought of life without a spectrum analyzer seemed bleak indeed. Old spectrum analyzers are easily available and often relatively cheap. Nothing wrong with them. But my last few years of doing digital radio work with modern Keysight MXA's has spoiled me, I guess. So I was delighted to find how close to that equipment. Certainly not in the same league but clearly close enough for my purposes. If all I was able to do was to make the trial licenses permanent it would be a great piece of gear.

But the allure of a VNA too is just too much to resist!

I'm a hardware guy who often has to do software installs and adjustments on product code that is not ready for prime time. It's part of the development process and its not like the SW guys don't have to deal with HW that is not ready for prime time! So I have some familiarity with what needs to be done to improve these products but I am close to being a babe in the woods even so. The instructions found here are great and a huge thanks to those of you who are able to figure all this out and are willing to share it with the rest of us!

I followed tv84's direct crossflash procedure, https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-ssa3000x-spectrum-analyzers/msg3564805/#msg3564805, and it worked first time. Of course it leaves the unit in a partially functional state that is basically useless. And that is why he directs you to point V in electr_peter's latest summary of the process, see the link in tv84's post.

This is my third piece of Siglent test equipment in the last few years and I have always had some difficulty getting my laptop to connect to them via telnet. This time was no different and I had to both start with step IV of electr_peter's procedure and connect through an ethern et router as I had to do on the other products. But once I started doing that the process was straightforward with a couple of minor wrinkles. So some tips for other newbies:

1) I often finished a vi edit only to find that the file was read only. So I found myself needing to repeat the appropriate remount command to make files writeable before every file edit.
2) Several times I found myself lost during vi edits and unsure that I had not overwritten something by accident. If you do that hit esc to make sure you are in vi command mode and then :q! to force vi to quit without saving. Then start the edit process again and be more careful this time!
3) Whether you do the full electr_peter process or start with the tv84 direct crossflash as I did look at the early steps in the electr_peter process and pull up a browser tab with the vi instructions, you will need them.
4) Sometimes the electr_peter instructions tell you to issue the telnet command "sync && reboot" but if you were editing a file in vi just before this you will need to do a :wq command in vi to save your work before you can issue any telnet commands. This is obvious to old hands but it can be confusing to you and I
5) There is a lot of typing involved and it has to be accurate. From windows you can select electr_peter's text with your mouse, hit CNTRL-C to copy, and then paste the commands into your telnet window by hitting the right mouse button.
6) I got a command not found error when I tried to start the telnet link. Do a web search on telnet for windows to get instructions on how to fix this

That may seem like a lot of issues to solve but they were all easily solved and hopefully my comments will help those of you who have trouble with any of these points. In the end it is pretty simple and oddly satisfying even though you are just parroting the fine work of others. Thanks again to all of you who made this possible!

The following users thanked this post: JNorton

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #1677 on: August 07, 2021, 04:35:39 pm »
My experience converting from SSA to SVA was very similar. I would like to add that if you leave the USB drive in the unit during the sync-reboot cycles the unit failed to run some ADS files with the upgrade failled message. Inserting the USB drive after powering the unit worked for me. I also had to find a very old 2GB stick after attempting to use many 8-16GB drives

And I also run sync 3 times before reboot, something that I learned in the old UNIX days and still do even with modern linux systems

Offline Barossa

« Reply #1678 on: August 09, 2021, 08:03:25 am »
Thanks for the heads-up tautech! I've since  removed the back and shield of the SSA3000X to gain access to the controller and power supply circuitry. A visual inspection of the connectors and sockets didn't reveal anything out of the ordinary. The first task was to measure the power supply voltages on the back of J16. The values obtained are shown below:

PINColorVoltageRemarks
1black0Vchassis ground
2grey-9.6V
3red7.3V
4red7.3V
5blue14.9V
6brown0Vsoft power switch?
7black0Vchassis ground
8black0Vchassis ground

These measurements were taken immediately after applying power to the equipment, which may be helpful for others in the future. Unable to source the datasheet for the power supply, it is impossible to determine if these voltages are within specifications.  Only minutes later, the LCD display started to show the fault. Using an oscilloscope, I was able to track the fault to the 14.9V rail collapsing to less than 1V for the duration of the LCD getting out of sync. The 14.9V can also be found on J20 pin 12 (red wire), which presumably is connecting the LCD screen. Using heat gun and freeze spray the fault was traced back to a semiconductor part on the power supply module. This part has small a heat sink glued to it that proved to be very sensitive to slightest increase in temperature. It didn't take much heat  to cause the 14.9V rail to cut out completely. Attached are a couple pictures showing the location on the PCB and power supply.

The fault is clearly caused by a malfunctioning part on the power supply. The power supply appears to  be custom made and  I was unable to find a replacement part on the Internet. I've sent an email with a request for assistance to our Australian Siglent distributor and I have yet to receive a reply.

I'm grateful for any help in sourcing a spare power supply.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 02:40:06 am by Barossa »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1679 on: August 09, 2021, 08:19:07 am »
Can you better describe the faulty part.....maybe Daves teardown vid looking at the PSU can help:
https://youtu.be/-8fr_otW0q4?t=160

Edit
OK pics now added above identifying faulty part.
First step would be to reflow all solder joints as many heat cycles may have cracked something.

Getting a replacement PSU from the factory should be no problem
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 08:22:42 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1680 on: August 09, 2021, 05:58:17 pm »
This may be nothing more than a LDO 15V regulator. How many pins, and what are the voltages to the pins. Check with a scope to see if the voltages are dynamic or static, that will provide an additional clew.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1681 on: August 10, 2021, 08:20:41 am »
The first task was to measure the power supply voltages on the back of J16. The values obtained are shown below:

[PIN/td]
ColorVoltageRemarks
1black0Vchassis ground
2grey-9.6V
3red7.3V
4red7.3V
5blue14.9V
6brown0Vsoft power switch?
7black0Vchassis ground
8black0Vchassis ground

These measurements were taken immediately after applying power to the equipment, which may be helpful for others in the future. Unable to source the datasheet for the power supply, it is impossible to determine if these voltages are within specifications. 
SSA3000X and SDS1004X-E DSO's apparently share the same PSU.
From the SDS1004X-E service manual:
Measured at PSU.....note there are some lead color differences between SSA and SDS.

GND Pin 4, Pin5, Pin 6             Black NULL
Primary Power Pin 1, Pin 2       Red +6.5 V𝐷𝐶 ± 10%
Positive Auxiliary Pin 8             Blue +15 V𝐷𝐶 ± 10%
AC Line Trigger Pin 7               Brown 2V𝑃𝑃 ± 20% This will only affect AC Line Trigger function.
Negative Auxiliary Power Pin 3 Orange -9.5 V𝐷𝐶 ± 10%

Hope that helps.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #1682 on: August 10, 2021, 01:09:46 pm »

I'm grateful for any help in sourcing a spare power supply.

Naturally best source is of course Siglent. Just tell your SSA fault full story to Siglent technical support and ask how to proceed. They have all spare units, for sale or for warranty repair and how it finally goes may depend individual case many factors.

There is sure available new PSU's for spare. SSA3000X is till normally in production.
Your SSA is 5 years old but who knows perhaps this failure mechanism is also something what Siglent like to know. So perhaps not wise to destroy this possibility before first ask Siglent opinion how to proceed and also they can info you how to get spare part.
It do not cost anything to ask.

Priority is new PSU. If not possible at all, then repair.  But if repair, it need carefully test it meet specs before connect repaired to SSA for avoid damages if bad luck happen.

BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline markb82

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1683 on: August 10, 2021, 08:19:21 pm »
This may be nothing more than a LDO 15V regulator. How many pins, and what are the voltages to the pins. Check with a scope to see if the voltages are dynamic or static, that will provide an additional clew.

If the part is a 15V LDO, then it might be hitting a thermal cut-off not necessarily because it is faulty, but because something else is pulling too much current. Could try increasing the size of the heatsink.

Offline Barossa

« Reply #1684 on: August 11, 2021, 02:53:34 pm »
SSA3000X and SDS1004X-E DSO's apparently share the same PSU.
From the SDS1004X-E service manual:
Measured at PSU.....note there are some lead color differences between SSA and SDS.

GND Pin 4, Pin5, Pin 6             Black NULL
Primary Power Pin 1, Pin 2       Red +6.5 V𝐷𝐶 ± 10%
Positive Auxiliary Pin 8             Blue +15 V𝐷𝐶 ± 10%
AC Line Trigger Pin 7               Brown 2V𝑃𝑃 ± 20% This will only affect AC Line Trigger function.
Negative Auxiliary Power Pin 3 Orange -9.5 V𝐷𝐶 ± 10%

Hope that helps.

Thanks, this makes sense! These values match the the silk screen annotations around the power connector on the PSU PCB. The 6.5V rail measures 7.38V on my SSA3021x PSU, which would be out of specifications.The regulator of the 15V rail gets very hot and the largest consumer appears to be the LCD display. The 15V regulator didn't get hot after disconnecting J20 that supplies the LCD display. https://www.flickr.com/photos/eevblog/21020138034/ shows a picture of the PSU of the Siglent 1000x oscilloscope series, which is identical to that of the SSA3021x. The 15V regulator is under the heat sink next to the power connector. It would take a lot of an effort to replace this part due to proximity of the capacitors, connector and other heat sensitive components.

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1685 on: August 11, 2021, 03:37:47 pm »
The 15V regulator getting very hot may indicate a problem with the LCD, and as Mark indicated the regulator may be protecting itself by dropping to low output voltage due to over thermal stress (some are designed to do this, rather than just burn up). If the LCD is unplugged does the 15 Volts return? If so then maybe the regulator (and PS) is OK and the fault is with the LCD??

Caution you really need to know what you are doing with the approach below.

Another thought, if you are very proficient at electronics troubleshooting you can rig up a means to measure the LCD current draw that would provide additional info on what's at fault. On simple means is to provide the 15 volts only to the LCD from an external regulated lab type PS and note the current supplied.

Good luck.

Best,
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 03:43:30 pm by mawyatt »
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline Emo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1686 on: August 11, 2021, 03:57:13 pm »
Not knowing the exact architecture of this power supply, it might be a wide input range supply with a pre boost mechanisme so the unit can remain efficient both on 100-140 as well as 200 - 250 V. If this stage is not operating well then the regulator will have troubles operating at to high voltage. In your case it behaves like it is on the low range and gets input according to the high range. But again I haven't seen any schematics yet. One way of testing is to put the scope on 110-120 V and see if it behaves as it should

Eric

The following users thanked this post: Barossa

Offline Barossa

« Reply #1687 on: August 11, 2021, 03:59:32 pm »
The 15V regulator getting very hot may indicate a problem with the LCD, and as Mark indicated the regulator may be protecting itself by dropping to low output voltage due to over thermal stress (some are designed to do this, rather than just burn up). If the LCD is unplugged does the 15 Volts return? If so then maybe the regulator (and PS) is OK and the fault is with the LCD??

The 15V rail measures exactly 15V when disconnecting the LCD display. The display appears to be normal before the fault manifests itself. Since the 6.5V is also high and out of specification, it makes me believe that the primary input voltages that feed these regulators may be too high. I can't get to the input pin of the 15V regulator, however, I found 20VDC in close vicinity of the regulator. In this case a 5V power drop at 1A would cause of lot of heat dissipating in the regulator.

Offline Barossa

« Reply #1688 on: August 11, 2021, 04:23:40 pm »
Not knowing the exact architecture of this power supply, it might be a wide input range supply with a pre boost mechanisme so the unit can remain efficient both on 100-140 as well as 200 - 250 V. If this stage is not operating well then the regulator will have troubles operating at to high voltage. In your case it behaves like it is on the low range and gets input according to the high range. But again I haven't seen any schematics yet. One way of testing is to put the scope on 110-120 V and see if it behaves as it should

Thanks and I agree with your theory as Australia has 240VAC mains supply. Using a variac set to 120VAC, I performed the same test and can report that the 15V measures a rock solid 14.98V and the regulator is only  getting moderately warm. The 6.5V rail measures 6.49V and is in specifications. Running the equipment for over 30 minutes and the fault hasn't shown up. All I need now is a replacement part.... I've yet to receive a reply from the Australian Siglent distributor (IPD) and Siglent HQ in response to my support request.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1689 on: August 11, 2021, 11:03:47 pm »

Thanks and I agree with your theory as Australia has 240VAC mains supply. Using a variac set to 120VAC, I performed the same test and can report that the 15V measures a rock solid 14.98V and the regulator is only  getting moderately warm. The 6.5V rail measures 6.49V and is in specifications. Running the equipment for over 30 minutes and the fault hasn't shown up. All I need now is a replacement part.... I've yet to receive a reply from the Australian Siglent distributor (IPD) and Siglent HQ in response to my support request.
Let us know how you get on and if necessary I can give these guys a poke into action.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline mnemonic

« Reply #1690 on: August 23, 2021, 04:54:01 pm »
Continuing on from where I left off, I've since got the calibration kit.

After performing the 1-port calibration under the VNA menu, it still shows "---" on the upper left corner, which according to the manual means "No calibration data". I expected it to show "Cor" to indicate calibrated.

Performing calibration under DTF appears to be working, and I get "Cor" showing once completed.

Does anyone else see this? Could this be due to missing the SMA cable?

Thanks!

More observation - in VNA, if I perform a "open cal", it should display "Cor" on the upper left corner of the chart, same if I perform a "close cal".

But if I do a "1 port cal", it would display "---". I also notice that after calibrating with open/close/load with "1 port cal", pressing Enter will hang the system for a few seconds before the beep, not sure if related.

I notice exactly the same. It seems like a bug. You can work around this using Enhanced Reponse calibration, which is a solt calibration. This works fine.

Offline violeg

« Reply #1691 on: August 27, 2021, 11:44:14 am »
Thank you very much.
Lost telnet,
Found telnet.
Patched everything.
All works.
Thanks a lot!
Great Job!

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #1692 on: August 30, 2021, 05:53:50 pm »
So to clarify, is the 21 = 32 still a thing?
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #1693 on: August 31, 2021, 06:50:39 pm »
yes

Offline Quarlo Klobrigney

• Frequent Contributor
  • This Space For Rent
« Reply #1694 on: August 31, 2021, 07:35:09 pm »
Good I may buy one soon. Obrigado.
Voltage does not flow, nor does voltage go.

Offline Bicurico

• Super Contributor
    • VMA's Satellite Blog
« Reply #1695 on: August 31, 2021, 09:31:03 pm »
Make sure you buy the SSA3021X-Plus model.

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, tautech

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics

Offline passedpawn

• Contributor
« Reply #1698 on: September 01, 2021, 03:22:57 am »
Buy from Saelig.  PM me for the discount code, will save you a few bucks. 

https://www.saelig.com/product/ssa3021x-plus.htm

The following users thanked this post: bmjjr

Offline mojorizing

• Contributor
« Reply #1699 on: September 10, 2021, 09:42:34 pm »
I just rec'vd my new SSA 3021X Plus from Saelig. It has the latest FW (3.2.2.4.0) and that new car smell that I like.  Your FW must have been the same - 3.2.2.4.0.

Anyway, I plan on doing the upgrade - is there anything I can do to help before I proceed with the upgrade? Backup file, settings, etc.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf