Author Topic: Siglent SPD3303X - To buy, or not to buy, that is the question...  (Read 5460 times)

Offline NoodyTopic starter

• Contributor
Hi,

1)  I have £500 ($600) to spend on a lab PSU. If you have the Siglent SPD3303X already, would you buy it again? A simple yes/no is perfectly acceptable.

2) Is there a better quality PSU for the money?

I've read the teardown thread and seen the video, but it's mainly on the old firmware etc. I'm really asking "Would I make a horrible mistake buying the SPD3303X?". I'm happy with "It's not completely crap".

Thank you!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 08:42:12 pm by Noody »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SPD3303X - To buy, or not to buy, that is the question...
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 08:47:29 pm »
The SPD3303X-E is better priced @ $389 the only difference is a slightly lower resolution for A and V.

I got one for shits and giggles, but more as a demo unit for myself, however within short time I had inquiries for them and I've sold a few since. Now I keep them as a stock item and there's steady inquiry for them in my small market.
No problems with any I've sold.  :)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 08:51:45 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 08:49:05 pm »
I would buy the DP832 from Rigol instead. It is 100€ cheaper, and has a more functional 3rd channel. Off course, I am biased because I own the DP832 and not the Siglent...

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 08:51:04 pm »
The SPD3303X-E is better priced, the only difference is a slightly lower resolution for A and V.

I got one for shits and giggles, but more as a demo unit for myself, however within short time I had inquiries for them and I've sold a few since. Now I keep them as a stock item and there's steady inquiry for them in my small market.
No problems with any I've sold.  :)

Ok, the  SPD3303X-E is indeed more a comparable option. Off course, with Rigol you can "upgrade" to the higher resolution for "free"...

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 08:54:33 pm »
It depends on what you need. If you just need a down to earth PSU then a GW Instek GPE-2323 is worth looking at because of it's high resolution 1mA current readback and seperate knobs for voltage/current for each channel for nearly half the price of the Siglent SPD3303X. IMHO one of the things to look for in a lab PSU is accurate voltage and current readback. In the past I never really cared about that but using a DMM to measure voltage and current is starting to become a nuisance.
Actually I'm also very attrachted to Keysight's E36100 series due to their uA resolution current read back (it has a dual range current read back) which is nice for developing battery powered circuits.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 08:57:17 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Ducttape

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 10:04:24 pm »
I've had a SPD3303X-E for a few months and I'm thoroughly happy with it. I was going to get the Rigol DP832 but once I realized the Siglent had floating outputs and the Rigol didn't it was an easy choice.

And by the way the banana jacks fit standard plugs just fine (i.e. snug) and the latest firmware puts both setpoint and output simultaneously on the display, like the Rigol.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 10:25:45 pm »
And by the way the banana jacks fit standard plugs just fine (i.e. snug) and the latest firmware puts both setpoint and output simultaneously on the display, like the Rigol.
Yep, there was some criticism of the banana sockets as being too loose, seemingly they are until plugs are pushed right home. The last ~1/2 of the socket is a good sound tight fit for any banana plug, I know because I tried a good few to satisfy my curiosity on this apparent negative point.

I'm out of stock of these PSU's ATM so the OP will have to rely on the replies of others if he needs more info on the finer details.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline NoodyTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 10:31:26 am »
It seems that you've all addressed previous critisisms too, which is appreciated.

I will now buy the Siglent.

Thank you everyone, very much, and Merry Christmas to you all! 🎅 🎄

Offline _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 11:54:06 am »
...but once I realized the Siglent had floating outputs and the Rigol didn't it was an easy choice.

Rigol outputs are also floating, but output 2 and 3 have the same ground. This is in most project not an issue, as you almost never have 3 different grounds. But if the 3 outputs of the siglent are indeed completely seperate, that is an advantage.

Siglent America

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2017, 04:07:42 pm »
I know that some people have been asking for Siglent to remove the Screen-Saver function from our SPD3303X and SPD3303X-E power supplies. This was a good suggestion and we recommended it to the factory.
We just found out that the last FW update did this but was not listed in the change log.

Here is a link to the FW:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=5052&tid=17

Regards

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf