Author Topic: Siglent SPD3303X-E FW update fail, unit bricked  (Read 662 times)

Offline FinnaaahTopic starter

• Contributor
Siglent SPD3303X-E FW update fail, unit bricked
« on: December 28, 2023, 07:28:55 am »
Hey all
I just picked up a Siglent SPD3303X-E with my xmas bonus! I went to update it, and upon selecting the device in the upgrade menu the screen of the unit changed to the firmware update page, but EasyPower crashed before even showing the progress bar and the update status on the unit remained at 0%. After reloading EasyPower and trying again, it just gave the error "try again in firmware mode" and then after trying in firmware mode "failed to GetUpdateMode". So I tried rebooting, but it remained on that screen :scared:
I've tried holding down the encoder while powering on, different firmware versions, everything I could find on this forum and in the manual. I should also note that commands sent in EasyPower would just return random characters, so I decided to download the most recent version of NI-VISA in case that was the issue (since the manuals I found specified version 5.4, I just installed that initially). The latest update seems to have helped a bit, as I can now read what commands return. Running *IDN? now gives "XYZ Co Ltd,V2.0,V6.2", so I assume it must have wiped the device :-BROKE
I know a few others have experienced similar issues, so I thought I'd try my luck here.
Thanks for the time :)

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SPD3303X-E FW update fail, unit bricked
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2023, 08:42:37 am »
So you don't mean you were trying to hack it to the 1mV/1mA version, you just mean updating the firmware ?

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2023, 08:52:37 am »
Please inform what HW and FW version there originally was before you start to update it and what was then more new version you try to update.

So where from you have purhased it if it have so old FW that need update. So, what was reason to update?

This need really carefully note about latest FW (and latest is from year 2022!! )
FW update package have Revision history pdf and there read:

Quote from: SPD3303X/X-E Firmware Revise History pdf
"
2022/09/01 1.01.01.03.10 1.
This firmware version only supports V6.1
hardware version
of SPD3303X/X-E
Notes:
A. V6.1 hardware version of SPD3303X/X-E do
not support rolling back to the previous
firmware version

B. < V6.1 hardware version of SPD3303X/X-E
do not support upgrading to this version

2. Released P20 version of EasyPower to match
this firmware

Think carefully and logically what this really mean!

If your unit is  new and not very old stock it may have HW version V6.1
If this is case, there is nothing to update because it must have just this latest FW and can not roll back to previous versions!
If  HW version is < V6.1  then it can not update to this latest!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2023, 08:56:27 am by rf-loop »
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline FinnaaahTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2023, 09:28:21 am »
Please inform what HW and FW version there originally was before you start to update it and what was then more new version you try to update.

So where from you have purhased it if it have so old FW that need update. So, what was reason to update?

This need really carefully note about latest FW (and latest is from year 2022!! )
FW update package have Revision history pdf and there read:

Quote from: SPD3303X/X-E Firmware Revise History pdf
"
2022/09/01 1.01.01.03.10 1.
This firmware version only supports V6.1
hardware version
of SPD3303X/X-E
Notes:
A. V6.1 hardware version of SPD3303X/X-E do
not support rolling back to the previous
firmware version

B. < V6.1 hardware version of SPD3303X/X-E
do not support upgrading to this version

2. Released P20 version of EasyPower to match
this firmware

Think carefully and logically what this really mean!

If your unit is  new and not very old stock it may have HW version V6.1
If this is case, there is nothing to update because it must have just this latest FW and can not roll back to previous versions!
If  HW version is < V6.1  then it can not update to this latest!

I wasn't thinking straight |O
My device is V6.2, I Installed the newest version of EasyPower and flashing the most recent firmware worked. Thank you :phew:
In case anyone is interested in doing the same, don't! The 1mV resolution hack doesn't work for the latest HW versions  >:(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf