Author Topic: Siglent SPD3303D series bug  (Read 14279 times)

Offline monzTopic starter

• Contributor
Siglent SPD3303D series bug
« on: December 27, 2014, 07:46:48 am »
Hello, first post here. I recently bought a new Siglent SPD3303D power supply and there seems to be an issue with its series mode.

Short version:

It seems like a software bug where it's incorrectly displaying channel 1's current on both meters in series mode. It seems like it's assuming that the load will be across both supplies, in which case the current would be equal, but since there is a common connection, this this cannot be assumed. It works as expected when the series connections are made externally.

Anyone with this unit able to reproduce?

Details:

This power supply has 3 independent/isolated supplies. Its two variable power supplies can be placed in series or parallel via buttons on the front panel - relays inside do the necessary switching.

All works as expected, except for the current meters in series mode.

In series mode the positive side of the channel 1 supply is connected internally to the negative of the channel 2 supply, forming a common point and placing them in series. Channel 1 then becomes a negative supply and positive on channel 2 relative to the common point. A load can be placed across both or two loads, one across the negative side and common and another across positive and common.

Each supply has a current and voltage meter. I would expect the current to be displayed for each side independently while in series mode since the loads between either side and common will not be exactly the same and to only see the same current on both when there is a load across both with no common connection.

What's occurring is, when in series mode, if I place a load across channel 1 (negative side and common) and no load on channel 2 (positive side and common), the same current reading is displayed for both channels. I would expect to only see current on the channel 1 meter and 0A on channel 2 - since nothing is across channel 2.

If I place the load across channel 2 (positive side and common) and nothing on the left side, the current meter reads 0 (load is receiving power).

When not in series mode (with channels operating independent), both meters work as expected.

In parallel mode both meters also work as expected, the current is divided equally between the two channels.

If I wire the two in series externally, everything works as expected.

Software version is 1.01.01.01.06
Hardware V1.1

I cannot get the firmware to update, it says it's not compatible or similar message when attempting to update from the EasyPower software.

I'll attach photos to show the arrangement. It may be hard to see but the right channel's (channel 2) negative (black) terminal is labled COM for the series mode. Note same current on both channels with only load on channel 1 and no current with load on channel 2.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SPD3303D series bug
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 10:07:42 am »
Welcome to the forum monz.
May I suggest you place a link to this thread for Siglent to see when they are back at work next week.
Place it in this thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-technical-support-join-in-eevblog/
Sorry I do not have the SPD3303D to attempt to replicate your problem, interesting as it is.
Any firmware update file should be sourced from the Siglent website not from the supplied CD.
This software is for PC connection, not firmware update.
Here is the latest firmware: http://www.siglent.com/ENs/gjjrj-xq.aspx?id=874&tid=15
It seems only a few months old, but I have no idea if it will address your problem.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 11:06:55 am »
Here is attached  how User manual give instructions.

Are there problems after you use it following instructions  in User manual?

If your current is 1A (and CH1/2 series) it flows via both output stages and both show correctly 1A.

(Perhaps Siglent need add one relay for connect CH1+ and CH2- totally to N.C. state in series mode. Then it do matter if user  try connect his load randomly/accidentally where ever)

I do not know reason why there is common mark on the front panel for series connection. What "common"? and I do not have this SPD for check how it is and I do not have schematics for this.

(as marginal note:

I do not understand what all chinese manufacturers afraid and they do not give full component level service schematics. Look old Tek and HP, there is all, open for everyone and it was also when these was active in production, not only afterwards. Copycats do not need schematics.  But good after sales customer care need, urgently, for every model and version. I recommend Siglent is first chinese manufacturer who is enough wise for do this. Effect is only positive, and all parties can only win in final. Question is how to protect from copycats. Secret is manufacturing quality and pre- and after sales customer care quality. It can not easy copy.)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 11:34:17 am by rf-loop »
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 07:55:51 pm »
Thanks for the replies.

I'll check out the Siglent thread. The software that controls it from a PC is also used to to update the firmware using the file that was linked above. It says there's a version mismatch or similar. I've tried a few times.

Common is the point of connection between the CH1 and CH2 supplies. This becomes the circuit ground in cases needed a +/- power supply.

Connection is like this when the series button is pressed, if this makes sense:
(-) (+)--common--(-) (+)

+ on CH1 is connected to - on CH2.

So you can get CH1 and CH2 added together across them, in which case current would be the same. Or a negative voltage between CH1 and common and positive between channel 2 and common, currents would not be same. The manual doesn't show this specifically, but this is what the common connection provides and is how they're connected, the manual is not very detailed and full of errors.

I would expect both meters to always measure the actual currents in either side, this occurs when operating independently and connected together externally.

The manual doesn't go in to much detail. Step 3 is actually incorrect as CH2 just beeps when knob is turned is turned in series mode, the settings are set form CH1 for both (2 outputs whatever 1 is in this mode).

I think the software is assuming that connection would only ever be connected across both as pictured in the manual, and never between either side and common. This can't be assumed.  Common can't be seen in the manual picture, its under CH2 - covered by binding post.

I agree, a schematic would be helpful as it helps understand any limitations. I've not looked inside yet.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 09:34:55 am »
Thanks for the replies.

I'll check out the Siglent thread. The software that controls it from a PC is also used to to update the firmware using the file that was linked above. It says there's a version mismatch or similar. I've tried a few times.

Common is the point of connection between the CH1 and CH2 supplies. This becomes the circuit ground in cases needed a +/- power supply.

Connection is like this when the series button is pressed, if this makes sense:
(-) (+)--common--(-) (+)

+ on CH1 is connected to - on CH2.

So you can get CH1 and CH2 added together across them, in which case current would be the same. Or a negative voltage between CH1 and common and positive between channel 2 and common, currents would not be same. The manual doesn't show this specifically, but this is what the common connection provides and is how they're connected, the manual is not very detailed and full of errors.

I would expect both meters to always measure the actual currents in either side, this occurs when operating independently and connected together externally.

The manual doesn't go in to much detail. Step 3 is actually incorrect as CH2 just beeps when knob is turned is turned in series mode, the settings are set form CH1 for both (2 outputs whatever 1 is in this mode).

I think the software is assuming that connection would only ever be connected across both as pictured in the manual, and never between either side and common. This can't be assumed.  Common can't be seen in the manual picture, its under CH2 - covered by binding post.

I agree, a schematic would be helpful as it helps understand any limitations. I've not looked inside yet.

I know exactly what is common in normal double sided power supply. 

I have not this model for test at this time.  Manual and datasheet they are so poor that really can not say anything exatly. It need this unit for study and exercise how it works. Personally I do not accept this level of User Manuals at all. Better than nothing but just toy class.  This (User Manuals, Datasheets, Service Manuals etc)  is area where  Siglent and many Chinese manufacturers really need develop lot of)

After trying read manual and datasheet many times I have only my personal opinion how I think it works.
(I leave CH3 out from my answer)

There  2 independent floating power supply. Both 0-30V. 

If need double sided power supply with separate adjustments for both sides  (-|0|+)  ) you can do it simply externally. (connect CH1 + to CH2 -  and this is your "common" (0))  There you can separately adjust negative and positive side voltage and current limit.

Manual: "In the series mode, CH1 and CH2 are linked internally into one channel....and the output voltage value is twice compared with that of single channel."
It do not talk anything about double sided (-|0|+).

Data sheet: Series and parallel function allows two channel combined into one output....

If need  single output (one channel) 0~60V power supply you use  "series"  mode.  You connect load to between CH1 - and CH2 + terminals.  Control is CH1.
This single supply output rating is 0~60V/0~3A

(also this can do externally with independent mode but now you need use both channels adjustments)

If need  single output 0~30V but more than 3A current you use "parallel" mode.  You connect load to between CH1 -  and CH1 + terminals.  Control is CH1.
This single supply output rating is 0~30V/0~6A
In manual there is note about CC in this mode.

I hope Siglent write acceptable level User Manual so that alone with manual you know exatly what it do and what not and every exeptions and every limit in all things and using combinations.  Now it need this equipment for study how it work.

How user manuals need write. There is lot of examples and materials for free study, free available. Example older HP(/Agilent/Keyshit)  and older other well known high level brands power supplies User manuals and Service Manuals and Programming manuals.

If manuals are shit:   
they are perhaps first contact with potential customer who first try read carefully manuals and datasheets before make decision to buy. Do you know what happend to peoples if in first meeting first minutes something fails totally. This can not repair never.  It is game over.   If people see shit manual he put "shit stamp" to this equipment and go to some other.   

But even more bad. If people read datasheets and manuals and then buy. If he after then find that manuals have been bullshit and datasheets have not been datasheet but they have been ads what only have told nice things giving wrong imagine about functions and after this disappoint,  he feels scammed and you do not have so much value you can get this customer back. Also poor rating is spreading everywhere. 
If some give good rating, perhaps he think only alone with silence or just someone may heard it.
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2014, 06:03:25 am »
I do see in the manual where it does say they'll be linked in to one channel and it shows connection across them. But it does label the common connection as such, which implies it's ok to use it as a +/- supply - and I'd expect voltage/current to be measured for each half. I think the explanation was omitted form the manual. Photo attached of series connection on front panel showing common point in series mode.

It seems if if it was only intended only to have the load across both and act as one supply (with nothing between common and either end), they wouldn't provide a connection labeled "com." Since there are meters on each side, I'd expect them to indicate for each side.

Additionally the volt meter on the positive side when in series mode (ch2) does function independently, it drops as expected when the positive side is shorted to com (and the constant current led turns on as expected), the ch2 current meter continues to show 0 when shorted.

And when the negative side is shorted (ch1), voltage is correctly indicated, the same current again shows on both sides (including the side with no load).

It just doesn't seem correct. Maybe I'm missing something obvious or thinking incorrectly. Maybe something beyond connecting the two supplies together is happening in the hardware when the series button is pressed. I'm envisioning a volt meter on each side and a current meter in series with each side and the two connected with a relay (confirmed continuity in series mode). A schematic would be helpful. I normally open things up and investigate, but I don't want to void the warranty.

Photos attached to show the positive side (ch2) in series mode correctly measuring voltage and not current. Also connection diagram printed below binding posts.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 11:27:03 am »
After around 2 weeks also I can do some real lab tests (and also more) how it really works etc. (also perhaps something about its HW).

Im also interest how well its regualtion works in different loading situations and step responses.

Offline Siglent

• Regular Contributor
  • SIGLENT
    • SIGLENT TECHNOLOGIES
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 06:49:15 am by Siglent »
The Best Value in Electronic Test & Measurement

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 08:22:05 pm »
there is a new firmware now
http://www.siglent.com/2014EnglishWebsite/Firmware&Software/Firmware/spd3303d_V100R001B01D01P06r2.rar

Hi Siglent,

See below, what this firmware update has done to my SPD3303S FW:1.01.01.01.03R1 HW:1.0 (well, it somehow got magically "upgraded" to 1.2 after applying that). Any advice?

EDIT:
I meant SPD3303S firmware update (1.01.01.01.06R2) listed for this exact model on the Siglent website. I haven't applied SPD3303D update to the SPD3303S model.

EDIT_2 (dry joke time):
At first I thought it's only for Australia but then double-checked the website and nope, it clearly said Europe.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2015, 08:26:09 pm by Zbig »

Offline devanno

• Regular Contributor
  • Old newbie
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 09:04:08 pm »
EDIT_2 (dry joke time):
At first I thought it's only for Australia but then double-checked the website and nope, it clearly said Europe.

Glad I wasn't drinking coffee when I saw that image in light of your comment... :::sputter:::  !!! :-DD
Free Electrons - Just one, please.

Offline Siglent

• Regular Contributor
  • SIGLENT
    • SIGLENT TECHNOLOGIES
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 08:01:07 am »
Hi Siglent,

See below, what this firmware update has done to my SPD3303S FW:1.01.01.01.03R1 HW:1.0 (well, it somehow got magically "upgraded" to 1.2 after applying that). Any advice?

EDIT:
I meant SPD3303S firmware update (1.01.01.01.06R2) listed for this exact model on the Siglent website. I haven't applied SPD3303D update to the SPD3303S model.

EDIT_2 (dry joke time):
We are sorry for our careless mistake. your unit is not compatible to the latest  firmware (1.01.01.01.06R2).
A temporary solution is to downgrade to the 1.01.01.01.03R1 version.
For SPD3303S http://siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SPD3303S_V100R001B01D01P03R1.rar
For SPD3303D [url=http://siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SPD3303D_V100R001B01D01P03R1.rar]
We will release a new firmware to adapt your hardware later.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 08:06:16 am by Siglent »
The Best Value in Electronic Test & Measurement

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 09:40:14 am »
Hi Siglent,

EDIT:

EDIT_2 (dry joke time):
We are sorry for our careless mistake. your unit is not compatible to the latest  firmware (1.01.01.01.06R2).
For SPD3303S http://siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SPD3303S_V100R001B01D01P03R1.rar
For SPD3303D [url=http://siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/firmware/SPD3303D_V100R001B01D01P03R1.rar]

Please, @Siglent,  urgently add information how peoples can check exactly what version is compatible.
It need read as Important note  in all official download sides. ( what is compatibe FW version with different HW version and how to check it)

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 12:34:19 pm »

That's okay, it happens. Thank you for providing my original firmware. I'm looking forward for the new versions compatible with my hardware version, thank you for that.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 02:22:13 pm »
Has the series bug been solved with new firmware yet? Thanks.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2015, 02:09:58 am »
I'm not sure if the series bug even exists?  :-//

I've just got a "C" model in stock as there has been some inquiries for them.

In series mode it displays the current drawn correctly and displays the series connected voltage HALVED.
Both Ch1 and Ch2 displays, V & A are active.
This is described in the manual and while not perfect, it is as expected if you RTFM.

Ch1 is the master channel in series mode, it controls both channels but only displays half the series voltage.
If Ch2 was to display 000 and Ch1 the true voltage, it would be better than present.

Personally I'd like to see in series mode, ONLY ONE DISPLAY OPERATIVE, indicating the true voltage output(not halved) and a single current meter.

As there is a soft key membrane UI for all selection parameters, one wonders if HW can support this change and only new FW is needed to make it happen.  :-//

Siglent might expect howls of protest changing the UI dramatically, but would it not be for the better?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2015, 12:09:25 pm »
I'm not sure if the series bug even exists?  :-//

I've just got a "C" model in stock as there has been some inquiries for them.

In series mode it displays the current drawn correctly and displays the series connected voltage HALVED.
Both Ch1 and Ch2 displays, V & A are active.
This is described in the manual and while not perfect, it is as expected if you RTFM.

Ch1 is the master channel in series mode, it controls both channels but only displays half the series voltage.
If Ch2 was to display 000 and Ch1 the true voltage, it would be better than present.

Personally I'd like to see in series mode, ONLY ONE DISPLAY OPERATIVE, indicating the true voltage output(not halved) and a single current meter.

As there is a soft key membrane UI for all selection parameters, one wonders if HW can support this change and only new FW is needed to make it happen.  :-//

Siglent might expect howls of protest changing the UI dramatically, but would it not be for the better?

First to know in a symmetrical rails powering situation with a center GND tap is what voltage and current happens to each power section individually. Symmetrical voltage rails DUTs do not guarantee symmetrical current & power draw. Showing the totals across channels is welcome as secondary displayed information not to make the summations mentally.
The C model is the cheapest one with LED displays, right? That one does not have the display to present extras so it does the basic right thing I guess. Its not clear if the D & S models with the color screens do the same by now though.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2015, 01:03:41 pm »
P.S. Since you got the C model in hand tautech, would you do a small easy test to enlighten us please? Load the two sections with different resistors say 100 Ohm & 150 Ohm. Or something like that. Press series and see if it does display two same voltages and two different current draws indeed.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2015, 10:39:03 am »
P.S. Since you got the C model in hand tautech, would you do a small easy test to enlighten us please? Load the two sections with different resistors say 100 Ohm & 150 Ohm. Or something like that. Press series and see if it does display two same voltages and two different current draws indeed.
To appease you I have done your test:
In Series mode with loads on both main channel outputs, half the nominal voltage is displayed on both channels(as expected, but should be changed), but the current draw of channel 1 is displayed on both channels.

THIS IS NOT HOW SERIES MODE IS INTENDED TO BE USED

In the Quick Start guides, Page 20 of all versions of SPD3303 (C, D and S) clearly explains the Series mode output connections:
Connect the load to the positive terminal of CH2 and the negative terminal of CH1

Also operation description for Series mode on all models is identical.
Series mode allows for a single channel output of up to 60V and 3 Amps.

C version Manual:
http://www.siglent.com/2014EnglishWebsite/Documents/UserManual/SPD3000%20LED%20User%20Manual%EF%BC%88V1.0%EF%BC%89.pdf
D & S Manual:
http://www.siglentamerica.com/Uploadfile/file/20140926/SPD3000_UserManual_EN.pdf

Current FW for Series mode has all these models showing the same nominal voltage on both channels(that must be doubled to match real output)  and TOTAL actual load current replicated on both displays.

This is not good and confusion will arise, in Series mode IMHO only one channel display should be active.
One channel display only should indicate the real voltage and current in Series mode.

000 or ---- displayed for the inactive channel in Series mode would be better than it is at present.

Siglent should change this......
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 10:53:31 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2015, 04:35:22 pm »
Thanks. Very clear. There is indeed wrong way info on display that confuses for what current is drawn per rail vs common mid tap. There is a binding post named common in its series output label strip. The PSU owes to be capable measuring for it too when used. Furthermore, not even showing the total voltage since it is supposed to inform for across sections connection only regarding its manual.
I hope Siglent can change that via firmware, if it is not rooted to how the series mode relay is wired. Its a flaw not to display the individual currents in regard to the common midpoint. And it can be a showstopper for some thinking to buy those nice, compact, well regulating, and simple to use supplies.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 04:58:43 pm by Salas »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2015, 08:58:43 pm »
@ Salas
I think I understand now how you probably have arrived at trying to use Series mode for 2 identical voltage supplies.  :-//
The display would have confused you to thinking this is possible in Series mode as when it is selected 2 identical readouts are shown.(did initially for me too)

But this is a dual 30V 3A supply and it would be nice to see a front panel option to setup outputs as identical just as some 2 channel AWG's do.

However this can be achieved: use a small set of commands with Siglent's Easy Power software as outlined in the manual.
http://siglentamerica.com/USA_website_2014/Firmware&Software/Software/Easypower_EN-V100R00B01D01P10.zip

Is it still a showstopper?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2015, 09:04:19 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2015, 02:36:15 am »
If the custom measurement query config can not be saved so to be available on the PSU screens each time booted, yes its a drag. Can it be saved as reconfigured?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2015, 08:10:30 am »
@ Salas
I'm still aquainting myself with this PSU, but I think I've found a simple solution.  :-//

The PSU will store up to 5 setups, and this is very easy to do.  :-+

Set PSU to desired output settings, push Save, select setup # and push Save again.
To recall the settings just push Recall, select setup # and push Recall again.

At next power on, the PSU will start at the last unsaved settings, then the preset Recall needs to be activated as explained above.
Really very easy.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2015, 09:11:58 pm »
That sounds promising. :-+

Offline Salas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2015, 09:53:43 am »
Well, I opted for SPD3303S model in the end. Nice small and quiet unit, quality look and feel. Good stability, 1mV 1mA resolution, good accuracy.
The query thing measure:current ch2? returns what ch1 reads when in series mode. While the voltage readings remain independent between channels.
Must be hardwired or firmware locked to only use the ch1 Ameter as reference. A way around it when we must know all of what is going on between the common node and both panel meters for unequal split loads is to use series mode just for tracking when working with the knob, then depress it to go independent again. It takes two (-) black leads to the DUT's power midpoint (or a ch1 red to ch2 blk binding posts link) to stay in series without the help of the internal relay anymore.
I would like to propose 1V coarse step too for setting the voltage in such high resolution model firmware if Siglent reads here. Only 0.1V and 0.001V is too much work when not connected to a PC by entering numbers on EasyPower interface.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 09:58:32 am by Salas »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 09:58:03 am »
I'll point Siglent to your suggestions.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf