Author Topic: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's  (Read 855052 times)

Furna and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online Furna

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1650 on: August 30, 2024, 09:47:27 pm »
Tried already to switch off/ disconnect almost evrything in the room, including the PC.

Doesn't have to be the same room. I've spent insane amounts of time searching for the causes of spikes or parasitics that turned out to be power supplies on the other side of my house.

I guess my daugther can give me difficult time if I power-off the Internet router on friday night because it is powered by a small white brick ... or the NAS :)

I guess I have to live with that noise ...

Have you tried my tip?

Really a very good advice!
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1651 on: August 30, 2024, 09:49:06 pm »
You can hide the ch1 for better visibility.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: Furna

Online Furna

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1652 on: August 30, 2024, 09:56:55 pm »
You can hide the ch1 for better visibility.

... with Measurment bind to F1

... and with Ch1 hidden

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Martin72

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #1653 on: August 30, 2024, 10:29:46 pm »
I've spent insane amounts of time searching for the causes of spikes or parasitics that turned out to be power supplies on the other side of my house.

Wait until they are in a neighbor's house :)  I don't have to break out my "professional" interference hunting gear to determine which of my neighbors have noisy electronics - I can simply rotate my attic-mounted ham radio antenna array and listen to the changing noise level.

But more on topic: there really aren't good remedies to noise from household / consumer devices other than turning them off.  In the "old days" there were all kinds of steps to you could take (filters, bypass caps, etc.) to try to reduce or remove the offending emissions, but this is not nearly as easy with more modern electronics.
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1654 on: August 30, 2024, 10:37:32 pm »
I've spent insane amounts of time searching for the causes of spikes or parasitics that turned out to be power supplies on the other side of my house.

Wait until they are in a neighbor's house :)  I don't have to break out my "professional" interference hunting gear to determine which of my neighbors have noisy electronics - I can simply rotate my attic-mounted ham radio antenna array and listen to the changing noise level.

But more on topic: there really aren't good remedies to noise from household / consumer devices other than turning them off.  In the "old days" there were all kinds of steps to you could take (filters, bypass caps, etc.) to try to reduce or remove the offending emissions, but this is not nearly as easy with more modern electronics.
One of these has always worked well for quieting emissions....and of many types too.  :P

Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: Wrenches of Death

Offline rpschultz13

• Just here to learn...
« Reply #1655 on: September 08, 2024, 11:57:38 pm »
New DSO user here, so bear with me. Got a new SDS804 Friday. Unpacked, updated firmware, calibrated probes, followed the SETUP GUIDE in post 1608, etc.

Question. How important is it to be connected to a LAN? I don't think it has wifi, so an ethernet cable from a router? Is this mainly for the time stamp?

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1656 on: September 09, 2024, 12:11:01 am »
Question. How important is it to be connected to a LAN? I don't think it has wifi, so an ethernet cable from a router? Is this mainly for the time stamp?

You can use it for NTP server if you care about the clock. But the main things with the ethernet is remote control via the built-in web server, and you can also use it to control an SDG series AWG via the network if both are connected.
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

Offline gitm

• Contributor
« Reply #1657 on: September 09, 2024, 12:29:41 am »
Tried already to switch off/ disconnect almost evrything in the room, including the PC.

Doesn't have to be the same room. I've spent insane amounts of time searching for the causes of spikes or parasitics that turned out to be power supplies on the other side of my house.

I guess my daugther can give me difficult time if I power-off the Internet router on friday night because it is powered by a small white brick ... or the NAS :)

I guess I have to live with that noise ...

Have you tried my tip?

Really a very good advice!

LOL, here’s the FFT of the Siglent 824X's probe sitting on my dinning room table from 0 to 110 MHz with nothing attached to the probe.  Marker 1 at 1.098 MHz is an AM radio station and everything from 88 Mhz to 108 MHz are FM radio stations, markers 3 through 10.

I was testing an amplifier for small signals and couldn’t understand why the first opamp was not stable, oscillating with a frequency of about 1.1 MHz.  That is until it occurred to me to get out the TinySA Ultra, saw the spectrum and tuned it to the frequency and demodulate it.  It was a religious AM radio broadcast.  It took me half a day to finally realize this.

I now test using a shielded box.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2024, 12:32:55 am by gitm »

The following users thanked this post: Wrenches of Death, Furna

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1658 on: September 09, 2024, 06:41:09 am »

You can use it for NTP server if you care about the clock. But the main things with the ethernet is remote control via the built-in web server, and you can also use it to control an SDG series AWG via the network if both are connected.

"Remote control via the web server" may sound like an exotic use case, but that also includes the most convenient way (for me) to get scope screenshots to your computer. I typically want to paste them into a Word document where I am taking notes, hence have the computer nearby. Grabbing screenshots directly via the computer and immediately pasting them into the document makes for a smooth workflow and avoids mixups.

If your router is too far away to make it practical to run a network cable, you can use one of those small "single Ethernet port to WiFi" bridges, e.g. the TP-Link TL-WR802N. You can even power it from the USB port on the back of the scope, and attach it to the scope with Velcro or such, to keep the scope as a self-contained unit. (Although with two short cables, USB power and Ethernet, dangling around in the back.)   

The following users thanked this post: tautech, KungFuJosh

Offline rpschultz13

• Just here to learn...
« Reply #1659 on: September 09, 2024, 01:32:15 pm »

"Remote control via the web server" may sound like an exotic use case, but that also includes the most convenient way (for me) to get scope screenshots to your computer. I typically want to paste them into a Word document where I am taking notes, hence have the computer nearby. Grabbing screenshots directly via the computer and immediately pasting them into the document makes for a smooth workflow and avoids mixups.

If your router is too far away to make it practical to run a network cable, you can use one of those small "single Ethernet port to WiFi" bridges, e.g. the TP-Link TL-WR802N. You can even power it from the USB port on the back of the scope, and attach it to the scope with Velcro or such, to keep the scope as a self-contained unit. (Although with two short cables, USB power and Ethernet, dangling around in the back.) 

I simply have used a USB stick so far. I just installed SigScopeLab. Hoping that will allow me to grab screen shots easier than a USB stick.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1660 on: September 09, 2024, 02:00:05 pm »

I simply have used a USB stick so far. I just installed SigScopeLab. Hoping that will allow me to grab screen shots easier than a USB stick.

You don't need any applications installed.

Connect scope to the network.

Scope has web server internal to it. You just connect to scope's IP address with browser.
There you have live remote control and screenshot with single button click.

You also have SMB client (and server) in a scope. That means that if you make a network share on you PC, you can connect scope to it. So when you want to save something, you can chose to save there, directly to share.
So if you press "Save" button on scope it gets directly saved to your network share.

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1661 on: September 09, 2024, 02:03:37 pm »

Wait until you are alone at home...

Turn off the mains home breakers one by one and check what the noise does.
If you are lucky you could at least found which breaker/home section is EMI polluting your lab.
Also be prepared to change room and travel with the scope, playing Ghostbusters.

Battery powered scopes in this situation are priceless: you could power the entire home off and have still a running scope to check noise...
Can't know what you don't love. St. Augustine
Can't love what you don't know. Zucca

Online ttelectronic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1662 on: September 10, 2024, 01:42:05 am »
Hmm  :)

The following users thanked this post: tautech, Zucca, BillyO, bateau020, Wrenches of Death, Furna, EvgenyG

Offline EvgenyG

• Regular Contributor
    • Evgeny's Blog
« Reply #1663 on: September 10, 2024, 05:11:33 am »

Not bad! I wish they included some information about how you adjust things, like timebase for the hw frequency counter. Mine is a little bit (70hz) off at 10Mhz according to my GPSDO. It is within the spec, but if I could adjust it, that would be great.

The following users thanked this post: astromeier

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1664 on: September 10, 2024, 03:34:05 pm »

Power Supply Module pinout (page 55)

make a battery hack would not be that hard.
2 LiIon in series pack (risky... 8.4V max, may charge only until 7.6V [3.8V/cell]) and a 15Vdc step up for the FAN.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2024, 03:46:22 pm by Zucca »

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1665 on: September 10, 2024, 03:36:58 pm »

Service manual without schematics are always like a punch in my balls.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2024, 03:41:16 pm by Zucca »

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline Zucca

• Supporter
  • EE meid in Itali
« Reply #1666 on: September 10, 2024, 03:43:58 pm »

Not bad! I wish they included some information about how you adjust things, like timebase for the hw frequency counter. Mine is a little bit (70hz) off at 10Mhz according to my GPSDO. It is within the spec, but if I could adjust it, that would be great.

don't adjust it, just design a 10MHz input port.

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1667 on: September 10, 2024, 03:58:05 pm »

Also consider Injection Locking the internal oscillator to an external source (GPS), this has worked for some folks with cheap AWGs.

Best,
« Last Edit: September 10, 2024, 04:34:40 pm by mawyatt »
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online Furna

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1668 on: September 10, 2024, 04:28:47 pm »

Wait until you are alone at home...

Turn off the mains home breakers one by one and check what the noise does.
If you are lucky you could at least found which breaker/home section is EMI polluting your lab.
Also be prepared to change room and travel with the scope, playing Ghostbusters.

Battery powered scopes in this situation are priceless: you could power the entire home off and have still a running scope to check noise...

What about neighboors?  Do you suggest I :box: them all?  ;)
I live in a building ... yes, if I do not try I won't be sure but there is a high probability that the noise is coming from outside my apartment.
Better to create a shilded box/environment as @gitm mentioned.

Battery powered scopes ... could be fan to create a battery powered supply for the SDS800X HD series now that we have the Service Manual.
Anyway I am not a fan of Ghostbusters

Offline barold

« Reply #1669 on: September 11, 2024, 03:13:02 am »
hi! newb here :)  is there a good tutorial to learn how to use the sds800x?  i saw some posts earlier in the thread from tautech but I was looking for something a little more thorough.

tia

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1670 on: September 11, 2024, 05:12:33 am »
hi! newb here :)  is there a good tutorial to learn how to use the sds800x?  i saw some posts earlier in the thread from tautech but I was looking for something a little more thorough.

tia
Welcome to the forum.

There's a few links in the first post:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds800x-hd-12-bit-dsos-coming/

There's also a few videos now appearing on YouTube that should be easy to find with a simple search
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

The following users thanked this post: barold

Offline EvgenyG

• Regular Contributor
    • Evgeny's Blog
« Reply #1671 on: September 11, 2024, 06:38:15 am »
make a battery hack would not be that hard.
2 LiIon in series pack (risky... 8.4V max, may charge only until 7.6V [3.8V/cell]) and a 15Vdc step up for the FAN.

I am pretty sure the 6.5v rail goes to voltage regulators only, and is never used directly. Interesting would be to use a lab power supply to find the cutoff voltage.

Offline EvgenyG

• Regular Contributor
    • Evgeny's Blog
« Reply #1672 on: September 11, 2024, 06:45:09 am »

Does it have a 10Mhz time base? Probably could design a mod to make that switchable.
The HW frequency counter on SDS800X is not too bad.

Offline barold

« Reply #1673 on: September 11, 2024, 09:25:30 am »
Welcome to the forum.

There's a few links in the first post:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds800x-hd-12-bit-dsos-coming/

There's also a few videos now appearing on YouTube that should be easy to find with a simple search

Thanks!  I've found it easy to find reviews and demonstrations showing off the scope but they all seem to assume a level of knowing what you want to do and ignoring a lot of beginner why and when motivations.  I don't have any formal training and minimal prior usage from years ago -- I'll do some more searching and couple those links to some more generic beginner vids if need be.  Thanks

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1674 on: September 11, 2024, 10:44:36 am »
If you don't have experience with scopes in general, I think that a lot of the material linked in this thread from the excellent W2AEW:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/oscilloscope-training-class-(long)/
can be helpful.
It's geared towards analog scopes, but basic concepts still apply, and some digital based videos are on his channel and in the thread.

As for threads that show what can be done with the SDS800X specifically, performa01's series of demo/review posts, also available as a pdf is a great resource, though it presuppose some knowledge:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread/
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, KungFuJosh, barold

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf