Author Topic: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's  (Read 824593 times)

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1600 on: July 07, 2024, 10:26:53 pm »
THANK YOU!!!

This thing looks to be incredible.  I already like the increased real estate on the screen and the option to use a mouse.

I am likely too ignorant to us iteven half its potential, but the UI is very intuitive for me.

FWIW, the "controversy" about the clock is a non issue for me.  It syncs to USNO on each startup.
A feature that is easy to overlook, tap or click any alpha or numeric field input box to get the qwerty or numeric virtual keypad to pop up.

BTW, what is USNO ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Naval_Observatory ?

Yep.

USNO Master Clock. The DoD common time reference is the U.S. Naval Observatory Master Clock.

I would like to point out that NTP behaviour was a bit optimized to more reliably get time after boot.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline watchmaker

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self Study in EE
    • Precision Timepiece Restoration and Service
« Reply #1601 on: July 07, 2024, 11:10:07 pm »
THANK YOU!!!

This thing looks to be incredible.  I already like the increased real estate on the screen and the option to use a mouse.

I am likely too ignorant to us iteven half its potential, but the UI is very intuitive for me.

FWIW, the "controversy" about the clock is a non issue for me.  It syncs to USNO on each startup.
A feature that is easy to overlook, tap or click any alpha or numeric field input box to get the qwerty or numeric virtual keypad to pop up.

BTW, what is USNO ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Naval_Observatory ?

First, that mouse option is POWERFUL!  Control the instrument when it is out of arm (or harm?) reach.  And a wireless mouse means no extra cables.  Very thoughtful design.

Yes, United States Naval Observatory.  Home of rubidium fountains, gps, the old voice telephone voice announcement thing, source of railroad time.  Not to mention the Vice President residence and the place where all instruments for the US Navy were certified before issue.

I believe they still have one of the 12 inch Clark refractors still in service.

The physicist running the foutains told me 5 years ago they have been fending off intrusions from China for 10 years at that point.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2024, 11:20:20 pm by watchmaker »
Regards,

Dewey

Offline unmaker

• Contributor
« Reply #1602 on: July 10, 2024, 08:24:57 pm »
I'm overall very happy with my SDS804X. This is my first time ever really using a scope and I'm finding it intuitive to use. I haven't even found the need to refer to the manual for the measurements I've taken, though admittedly they were basic.

I do find one thing a bit annoying and I'm hoping someone can explain this to me. Why did Siglent move the Average and Eres from Acquisition Mode options over to the Math section? This seems like a downgrade to me when compared with the SDS1000X-E where they're Acquisition Mode options. I've noticed the SDS2000X HD series don't have these as Acquisition Mode options either. They remain as Acquisition Mode options in the SDS3000X HD series. The new Rigol DHO scopes have these as Acquisition Mode options and the older Rigol DS1054Z does as well. 

Am I the only one who finds this annoying?

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1603 on: July 10, 2024, 08:54:46 pm »
I've noticed the SDS2000X HD series don't have these as Acquisition Mode options either.

Not accurate. SDS 2000XHD has both average and ERES as acquisition modes.
ERES and average work just as fine as math.
Hence not a big deal.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, unmaker

Offline unmaker

• Contributor
« Reply #1604 on: July 10, 2024, 09:03:02 pm »
I've noticed the SDS2000X HD series don't have these as Acquisition Mode options either.

Hence not a big deal.

Sorry my mistake. I meant to say the SDS 1000X HD series. The SDS 2000X HD and SDS 3000X HD series do have them as acquisition modes.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1605 on: July 10, 2024, 09:10:13 pm »

Hence not a big deal.

Sorry my mistake. I meant to say the SDS 1000X HD series. The SDS 2000X HD and SDS 3000X HD series do have them as acquisition modes.

As I said, there is a benefit to use ERES as math, because you have original capture and you can change ERES settings later.
So even on scopes that have it as acquisition mode I mostly use it as math.
Make note that on Siglents you can use complex math so you are not loosing math channels because of it...

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto

Offline awakephd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1606 on: July 11, 2024, 02:08:45 pm »
The latest FW removes/makes FG/AWG and MSO licenses permanent and now invisible.

The HW for these options has been increased in price though but now can be used on any model or model series that supports them.

Rob, just to make sure I am understanding this: when the latest firmware is installed, it will act as if one had previously bought and installed the AWG and MSO licenses - is that correct?

Is the AWG license (or latest firmware) require to use a stand-alone Siglent AWG?

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1607 on: July 11, 2024, 02:16:27 pm »
The latest FW removes/makes FG/AWG and MSO licenses permanent and now invisible.

The HW for these options has been increased in price though but now can be used on any model or model series that supports them.

Rob, just to make sure I am understanding this: when the latest firmware is installed, it will act as if one had previously bought and installed the AWG and MSO licenses - is that correct?
:-+
Exactly.

Is the AWG license (or latest firmware) require to use a stand-alone Siglent AWG?
Unknown.
For Bode plot/FRA use any FG/AWG license has never been required.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, awakephd

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf