Author Topic: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's  (Read 824828 times)

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #925 on: March 17, 2024, 10:55:31 pm »
Something different:
Webserver/Instrument control:
Scope is in stop mode, no problem, you click on the red stop and then it is back in run mode.
But it doesn't work the other way around, I haven't found anything.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #926 on: March 17, 2024, 11:56:04 pm »
Something different:
Scope is in stop mode, no problem, you click on the red stop and then it is back in run mode.
Easiest workaround is to use the Trigger tab and select Single and any waveform that meets the trigger setting will Stop the scope.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #927 on: March 18, 2024, 12:01:11 am »
Thanks Rob, I hope this is really just a stopgap solution and the Run/Stop button will be implemented in the controller software at some point.
(Kierkegaard)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #928 on: March 18, 2024, 12:29:37 am »
Thanks Rob, I hope this is really just a stopgap solution and the Run/Stop button will be implemented in the controller software at some point.
Using the Triggered indicator just rearms the trigger so to add a defined Stop mode for remote control would require a Stop mode be added into one of the menus....which one for simple, intuitive and convenient access ?

If this was to be added, Timebase or Trigger tab ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline electronics hobbyist

• Regular Contributor
    • sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread
« Reply #929 on: March 18, 2024, 01:24:19 am »
Something different:

As far as I know, clicking on the trigger status area in the top right corner of the screen is a "force trigger" function.
When the oscilloscope is in normal or single mode, it will force to capture one frame.
Clicking here does not mean switching between run or stop mode. :)

I agree with your point of view that clicking on the top right corner should switch to run or stop mode, as this is more commonly used.
Although it is possible to switch between run/stop mode through the "Acquire" menu above, this requires two steps.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2024, 03:26:34 am by electronics hobbyist »

The following users thanked this post: newbrain

Online Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #930 on: March 18, 2024, 11:18:03 am »
The Run/Stop button starts or stops the acquisition. So ... should we look at the Acquire menu maybe? ;)

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #931 on: March 18, 2024, 12:01:37 pm »
I found it strange why I get back to run mode by clicking on the stop message.
(Kierkegaard)

Online Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #932 on: March 18, 2024, 01:34:44 pm »
I found it strange why I get back to run mode by clicking on the stop message.
Because one of the recent platform updates changed the field with the Siglent Logo, Trigger State and Trigger Frequency Counter, which was not clickable before, to the "force Trigger" button, that some people had requested.

Generally, whenever the DSO waits for a trigger - or processes a trigger, it has to be in Run mode. With Single Trigger, the scope is in Run all the time, until the trigger event finally occurs and stops the acquisition.

In Stop mode, the scope ignores trigger events via the usual sources (channels, ext, line), but if you click on the "Force Trigger" field, you also force the scope to process an (artificial) trigger event, hence it has to switch to Run mode.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, pdenisowski, KungFuJosh, Martin72

Offline radiohomebrewer2000

• Contributor
« Reply #933 on: March 20, 2024, 12:12:53 pm »
At Jameco, I noticed there are 2 count of Siglent SDS804X HD in stock. 

Just passing this on to others lurking here deciding to buy one or not.

I bought a SDS814X HD from Saelig and I expect it to show up sometime today.  I got the SDS814X because the SDS804X was out of stock.   I have already made space on my desk for the new scope...

If you are in North America, places to buy Siglent products.  I do not buy stuff from Electronix Express though.
https://siglentna.com/how-to-buy/
Otherwise, you can select a different region there.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tautech

Offline hallkbrdz

• Contributor
« Reply #934 on: March 20, 2024, 02:17:48 pm »
FYI, I did receive my 804 last week from TE. So their ETA dates don't really mean anything.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline gitm

• Contributor
« Reply #935 on: March 20, 2024, 05:18:07 pm »
Has anyone measured the bandwidth of a supplied 70MHz probe that comes with the 804? 

I ask because I just did and was surprised by the result.  I only have one generator that goes above 100MHz and that’s a the tinySA Ultra.  -3dB was above 300MHz for PB470, near 325MHz !! But the maximum signal level the tinySA Ultra can produce is -18.1dBm (78.6mVpp into a 50 ohm load), so I’m a little skeptical.  There was a little peaking between 70MHz and 80MHz, but then held pretty flat all the way above 300MHz.  I tried lower output levels of -28.1 and -38.1 with the same results.

Anyway, I was going to replace the probes after upgrading the 804 to a 824 and was thinking Rigol PVP2350 (have them) or maybe Probe Master.  I found the Rigol’s -3dB was around 225MHz and relatively flat with the scope, while the Probe Master were similar and a -3dB about 200MHz.  Then, on a lark, I compensated two supplied PB470 probes and measured them.  Both produced the same results with -3dB above 300MHz.   :o

ETA: I did a sanity test and measured a 0.5m RG58 coax in-place of the probe using the same setup (50 ohm in-line terminator connected to the tinySA Ultra) and found the -3dB at 250MHz.  So…..
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 05:24:48 pm by gitm »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto, newbrain, Mortymore

Offline radiohomebrewer2000

• Contributor
« Reply #936 on: March 20, 2024, 06:04:00 pm »
hallkbrdz,
I got my Siglent SDS814X HD scope today from Saelig, and I got it on the day and timeframe they said from the beginning.

One wish item: a light color like beige or white or light gray instead of black.  Black makes it harder to see the controls and buttons.  I have to shine a light on the scope so I can see the controls.  My overhead light does not produce enough light.  I had no problem with my old HP scope since it was a light color.

The print is tiny on the 7" screen but it is sharp!   I thought I would try a unbox video than I gave up because I just wanted to play with it.  Compensate a probe.  Hooked my non-Siglent arbitrary waveform generator to it via a tee and 50-ohm termination.  Saw the nice 7.05MHz signal at 100mV.  Sadly, the scope defaulted to 1X for the probes so I changed it to 10X.  Probe already on 10X.  Tried the Math FFT and figured out how to select the channel and FFT  Turned the peaks on and table.   Very nice indeed!

And I like the built in hardware frequency counter that gives me a stable reading.  Same with the mVp-p measurement - the measurement was stable.   I will try with a VFO later and try to use the suggestions from iMo how to do proper measurement of a VFO - frequency and voltage.

So, I am really glad I skipped the nice SDS1000X-E series and went straight for the SDS800X HD series scope. 
If my eyes get tired, I may try using the web server to see the scope on my 27" computer monitor, but that is for another day...

Like another ham said on here - I forget who - they decided to use this scope as their main tool and frequency counter.  Use the DMM only for DC, continunity, and ohms.  And I can agree with that.

And the scope fit nicely on my shelf.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto, Mortymore, iMo, Martin72, hallkbrdz

Online Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #937 on: March 20, 2024, 06:35:49 pm »
Has anyone measured the bandwidth of a supplied 70MHz probe that comes with the 804? 
Not the 70 MHz probe, but the 100 MHz PP510 (2nd topic in reply #5):

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread/msg5293756/#msg5293756

and also a nice 500 MHz SP5050A, reply #74:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread/msg5351024/#msg5351024

and finally the direct coax-connection as reference:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread/

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, trackersoft, gitm

Offline gitm

• Contributor
« Reply #938 on: March 20, 2024, 07:40:16 pm »
Not the 70 MHz probe, but the 100 MHz PP510 (2nd topic in reply #5):

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread/msg5293756/#msg5293756

and also a nice 500 MHz SP5050A, reply #74:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread/msg5351024/#msg5351024

and finally the direct coax-connection as reference:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/sds800x-hd-review-demonstration-thread/

Thank you!  And HOLY CRAP, it sort of looks like 70MHz has more peaking which lets it extend out to above 300MHz.  But that 100MHz PP510 is flatter — I think.  I need to go back and look at the numbers again and maybe my upgrade will be to the PP510  :-+

Your line from the PP510 FRA pretty much sums it up:  "It can be seen, that even Siglent’s cheapest 100 MHz probe extends the system bandwidth to ~274 MHz (244 MHz with direct coax connection). So much for the practical relevance of probe ratings and textbook formulas, which are way to simplistic as to actually model the real world."

Two questions, what signal generator did you use for the PP510 frequency response?  And how did you generate the FFT?

BTW: excellent posts on this topic  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #939 on: March 20, 2024, 07:42:41 pm »
And how did you generate the FFT?

That is excellent built in FFT in the scope in peak mode and signal generator sweep

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto, gitm

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #940 on: March 20, 2024, 07:56:55 pm »
Quote from: radiohomebrewer2000 link=topic=403017.msg5403068#msg5403068
I got my Siglent SDS814X HD scope today from Saelig, and I got it on the day and timeframe they said from the beginning.

As mentioned we've had good support from Saelig, quality resource IMO.

The Web Server works really well, and looks great on a large screen. Don't forget to enable the NTP, we used address 129.6.15.26 here in US, but there's bunch of addresses available from NTP.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tautech, radiohomebrewer2000

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #941 on: March 20, 2024, 08:40:30 pm »
but there's bunch of addresses available from NTP.

After Rob's first tip, I tried other NTPs, always with the same result:
Sync failed.
Maybe my router is the culprit, I'll have to find out in a quiet minute.
(Kierkegaard)

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #942 on: March 20, 2024, 09:29:28 pm »
I tried other NTPs, always with the same result:
Sync failed.
As a single data point: NTP sync work flawlessly on my home Windows domain network, setting the IP to the Domain Controller.
It's a local address, though.
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline gitm

• Contributor
« Reply #943 on: March 20, 2024, 10:19:08 pm »

That is excellent built in FFT in the scope in peak mode and signal generator sweep

Thanks, makes perfect sense.  :-+  Pretty much the same as using a SA without a tracking generator to get the frequency response, albeit taking a long time to get the final trace.  I was initially thinking he had an exotic noise source producing wide band white noise or something.   :-DD

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #944 on: March 20, 2024, 11:06:16 pm »
(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, core, gitm

Online Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #945 on: March 21, 2024, 05:58:28 am »

Sync failed.

I configured my Fritz.Box (a german thing  ;)) as NTP-Server and gave it’s IP to the SDS800 as NTP-Server-adress. Works well.
And as always I blocked outgoing traffic for this Siglent device as well.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2024, 06:10:13 am by Bad_Driver »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, newbrain, Martin72

• Super Contributor
« Reply #946 on: March 21, 2024, 06:21:15 am »

Sync failed.

I configured my Fritz.Box (a german thing  ;)) as NTP-Server and gave it’s IP to the SDS800 as NTP-Server-adress. Works well.
And as always I blocked outgoing traffic for this Siglent device as well.
Not all ISP's permit/allow customer access to their router configuration to make settings changes.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #947 on: March 21, 2024, 06:46:03 am »

Thanks, makes perfect sense.  :-+  Pretty much the same as using a SA without a tracking generator to get the frequency response, albeit taking a long time to get the final trace.  I was initially thinking he had an exotic noise source producing wide band white noise or something.   :-DD

Absolutely, a good noise source works too, and faster...

Online Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #948 on: March 21, 2024, 09:28:23 am »
Two questions, what signal generator did you use for the PP510 frequency response?  And how did you generate the FFT?
I has aready been partially revealed by 2N3055: I was using a Siglent SDG7102A AWG, which has a very good amplitude accuracy of +/-0.15 dB up to 300 MHz, doing a slow sweep over 300 seconds and capturing the frequency response with the DSOs own FFT in Max. Hold mode.

Yes, there are alternative methods, but none of them will be as accurate. It is hard to get a reasonably flat wideband noise source, yet the SDG7102A provides one with max. 350 MHz bandwidth. This method is fast - but only if you just want a quick first impression, because for any halfway decent accuracy you need a lot of averages, which also take its time ... see attachment.

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #949 on: March 21, 2024, 01:22:13 pm »
Not all ISP's permit/allow customer access to their router configuration to make settings changes.

I never recommend using ISP supplied routers. Personally, I also have my own modem.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf