Author Topic: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's  (Read 754219 times)

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #900 on: March 15, 2024, 01:20:21 pm »
The manuals for the test boards from Batronix, Siglent, Rigol... should be updated (I'm assuming they're not already) for the new 12bit scopes generation, and could state the differences from 8 vs 12 bit scopes were they matter.

The Batronix demo board manual uses the MXO4 (a 12 bit scope) for most of its examples. 

But off the top of my head, I don't recall there being anything in the Batronix demo board that would really highlight the difference between 8 and 12 bits scopes.
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline lofe

• Contributor
« Reply #901 on: March 15, 2024, 01:26:36 pm »
Got my SDS804X yesterday. Love it so far, and updated firmware and enabled additional options. I have a Wi-Fi usb adapter from my 1104X-E. Is it possible to make it work?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #902 on: March 15, 2024, 01:27:13 pm »
The manuals for the test boards from Batronix, Siglent, Rigol... should be updated (I'm assuming they're not already) for the new 12bit scopes generation, and could state the differences from 8 vs 12 bit scopes were they matter.

The Batronix demo board manual uses the MXO4 (a 12 bit scope) for most of its examples. 

But off the top of my head, I don't recall there being anything in the Batronix demo board that would really highlight the difference between 8 and 12 bits scopes.

Not in their curriculum.

But, unfiltered signal from DAC has clearly visible discrete steps.. Clearly visible with nice 12 bit scope, that is... :-DD

Online Mortymore

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #903 on: March 15, 2024, 01:44:14 pm »
All items (including the license) are in da house. The fun can begin.

They've just mailed: a Siglent SDS814X HD oscilloscope and Siglent SLA1016 logic analyser, which will be soon on my doorstep. :) :)

We were able to "extend" the BW of the 814x HD to 200MHz (measured to 275MHz!!) using telenet, now to try and trace down/find how to "enable" the extra options.

Best,

Through UTILITY > SOFTWARE OPTIONS, by hand, input in Install window, for each "option type" the code produced for your scope by the script you already used for the bandwidth.
For FG option, use the code given with the header AWG, for 16LA the code MSO, and for PA the code PWA

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, SHF, radiohomebrewer2000

Online RAPo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #904 on: March 15, 2024, 03:12:04 pm »
Don´t worry all (including setting the NTP server) is done. Now, I need to figure out if it is possible to do a Bode-plot with an external Rigol function generator.
And I have some ideas on a comparison between my new single and other oscilloscopes for x-y plots.

Offline radiohomebrewer2000

• Contributor
« Reply #905 on: March 15, 2024, 03:56:34 pm »
I wanted to get a Siglent SDS804X HD scope, but seemed to be out of stock at places in the USA.

So, I got a SDS814X HD scope that was in stock at Saelig. 
I think I saw tequipment and siglentna.com have the higher priced models in stock as well.

Impatiently waiting...   Let me check the order status now even though I just checked it a minute ago... 

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Mortymore, KungFuJosh

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #906 on: March 15, 2024, 04:17:47 pm »
I wanted to get a Siglent SDS804X HD scope, but seemed to be out of stock at places in the USA.

So, I got a SDS814X HD scope that was in stock at Saelig. 
I think I saw tequipment and siglentna.com have the higher priced models in stock as well.

Impatiently waiting...   Let me check the order status now even though I just checked it a minute ago...

Saelig is where we get all our Siglent equipment (and other equipment/stuff), they also have a discount code for EEV folks (get from tautech)!!

Good resource & selection!!

Predict you'll be one happy EE when the 814 arrives, Siglent has done a masterful job with this new instrument and the waiting has certainly paid of for those patient :-+

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #907 on: March 15, 2024, 04:28:36 pm »
Martin72, is the 30 s figure for a cold (unplugged) boot or just to come out from standby?
Now ebastler has made me unsure whether I was looking at the clock wrong - I'll measure again later   ;)

Measured again, this time with the stopwatch function instead of just looking at the normal clock.
30 seconds to the screen (that's where I "stopped" yesterday), another 6 seconds until it's usable, so 36 seconds in total.
But it's not exactly slow, I know other scopes... ;)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, ebastler

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #908 on: March 15, 2024, 04:32:02 pm »

The noisy square wave signal (Select1 switch, "D") came to mind.
Just tried it and checked it with the SDS1104X-E, not a good idea, the signals look the same. ;)

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto, pdenisowski

Offline Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #909 on: March 15, 2024, 05:49:03 pm »
Because they cost money. Lower budget probes often don't come with springs.
That's a simple explanation and probably 99% true...

OTOH, I've got a set of 250 MHz Testec probes, not an expert, but they look quite good (LF and HF compensation, sharp gold plated tip, good strain relief etc.).

They come with the usual grabber and ground alligator lead, but they also include adjustment screwdriver, a spare metal tip, and a nice BNC to probe adapter.
Still no ground spring!  :-//

The Testec probes with product ID starting with "MF" are not supplied with ground spring. Also, no option to get them with attenuation factor readout pin.
The ones starting with "HX" do come with ground springs. TT-HX 312 for the switchable, 300MHz bandwidth probe, and TT-HX 212 for the fixed one. There's also the TT-HF 612, with 500MHz, but they cost three times as much and are not close to high impedance at 250MHz. I don't know in which cases are they usable at 500MHz anyway.
You can get the HX with readout pin, but at around 25% upcharge.

Edit: I was mixing the HF and HX prefixes, the naming scheme is a bit confusing. It seems like only the HX ones come with ground springs.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 06:06:29 pm by Antonio90 »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, ebastler

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #910 on: March 15, 2024, 07:28:07 pm »
Got my SDS804X yesterday. Love it so far, and updated firmware and enabled additional options. I have a Wi-Fi usb adapter from my 1104X-E. Is it possible to make it work?
Unfortunately not yet.  :(
We have asked for a WiFi option as a new feature.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #911 on: March 15, 2024, 07:41:11 pm »

OTOH, I've got a set of 250 MHz Testec probes, not an expert, but they look quite good (LF and HF compensation, sharp gold plated tip, good strain relief etc.).

They come with the usual grabber and ground alligator lead, but they also include adjustment screwdriver, a spare metal tip, and a nice BNC to probe adapter.

The Testec probes with product ID starting with "MF" are not supplied with ground spring. Also, no option to get them with attenuation factor readout pin.
The ones starting with "HX" do come with ground springs. TT-HX 312 for the switchable, 300MHz bandwidth probe, and TT-HX 212 for the fixed one. There's also the TT-HF 612, with 500MHz, but they cost three times as much and are not close to high impedance at 250MHz. I don't know in which cases are they usable at 500MHz anyway.

Edit: I was mixing the HF and HX prefixes, the naming scheme is a bit confusing. It seems like only the HX ones come with ground springs.

Testec HF212 are good match, and they came with full set of accessories, replacement tip, spring, coax adapter, screwdriver, etc..

Offline Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #912 on: March 15, 2024, 08:49:44 pm »

Testec HF212 are good match, and they came with full set of accessories, replacement tip, spring, coax adapter, screwdriver, etc..
May I ask you where you bought them? The webpage https://www.testec.de/en/products/product-categories/hf-probes/ lists them without ground spring, and so does Farnell. The HX212 are the ones that include the spring (and HF612 too).

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #913 on: March 15, 2024, 08:56:38 pm »

May I ask you where you bought them? The webpage https://www.testec.de/en/products/product-categories/hf-probes/ lists them without ground spring, and so does Farnell. The HX212 are the ones that include the spring (and HF612 too).
I believe it was Reichelt, but it was few years ago. They might have changed things in meantime.

The following users thanked this post: Antonio90

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #914 on: March 15, 2024, 10:13:07 pm »
It would be interesting to highlight some situations were having a 12bit scope is a crucial advantage over the 8bit, using the Batronix test board.  ;)

Explicit test signals to reveal the differences 8bit/12bit are not available on the board, as 2N3055 already wrote, you could take the unfiltered sine signal.
With a very good 8 bit scope, however, this is unlikely to be very noticeable.
However, I will ask anyway, because an update in the sense of additional decoder signals is being considered.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Mortymore

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #915 on: March 15, 2024, 10:25:46 pm »
Here you can see it sooner, in the test with/without groundspring, which I did yesterday with the 804X HD and earlier with the SDS1104X-E.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto, Mortymore, core

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #916 on: March 15, 2024, 10:53:02 pm »

Ground spring is very useful for measuring power supply noise, because of the proximity of the inductor, and noise. Or high speed digital signals.
Get yourself a set, they are like 2 EUR for 5 pieces (get the correct diameter)
www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006411386510.html
Honestly they are so cheap you might just use it as a solder in connection.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, newbrain, 2N3055, pdenisowski

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #917 on: March 16, 2024, 09:36:24 am »

I got my set last week from Reichelt (2x MF312-2) but without springs. I‘m impressed by the built-quality. Fortunately I have some spare springs from AliX and they fit. You get springs in different diameters there for less money.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline newbrain

• Super Contributor
« Reply #918 on: March 16, 2024, 09:48:37 am »
Ground spring is very useful [...]Get yourself a set
No doubt about it, any even moderately high speed signal looks completely different with and without!
That the reason i kept a couple from the Rigol probes, when I read they weren't included.

I'll get me I ordered some from Ali/eBay (and return the two I kept to the buyer, he is a friend I see almost daily).

Got my scope yesterday! Right timing, before the WE!

Edit: just ordered through the link tszaboo posted, 5.2 SEK - about 0.5$ - for 5!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 10:02:40 am by newbrain »
Nandemo wa shiranai wa yo, shitteru koto dake.

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #919 on: March 16, 2024, 10:43:43 am »
!

Edit: just ordered through the link tszaboo posted, 5.2 SEK - about 0.5$ - for 5!

The linked item will not delivered to Germany  :-//

Offline TopQuark

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #920 on: March 16, 2024, 12:27:26 pm »
The best ground springs are the ones you wind yourself  ;)

With the factory made ground springs, the tips always struggle "biting" on to the ground pad/contact on the PCB. If the ground spring tip loses grip, now you have a springy piece of wire waiting to short everything nearby to ground. Also it takes some gymnastics to wrangle both ground spring tip and probe tip to the exact locations you want to probe.

I got the idea from one of the Bob Pease shows. Take a piece of 0.8mm copper wire, wind a few turns tightly against the ground shaft of the probe, and snip the end off. Now you have a ground spring that you can actually solder down to the board. If you need to move the probe around to probe different stuff, solder a thin pogo pin to the copper ground spring. This has the bonus of allowing you to bend the copper wire to position the pogo pin where you need it, making it way easier to use with minimal risk of slippage.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto, ebastler, SHF, Mortymore, pdenisowski, Martin72, core, Antonio90

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #921 on: March 16, 2024, 02:37:31 pm »
The best ground springs are the ones you wind yourself  ;)
+1. my "neat probe" can barely be seen (with purple rubber band) with its soldered gnd connection. this long wire can still create some amount of gnd loop, i can make it shorter next time...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #922 on: March 16, 2024, 03:55:24 pm »

I'll get me I ordered some from Ali/eBay (and return the two I kept to the buyer, he is a friend I see almost daily).

Just to make things transparent, Its a welcome deal price, to inflate accounts/numbers (growth)
The actual product price is likely around +500% higher and not 0.5US.
These (1x) welcome deals to new members/accounts undermine the books, as you can't trust them when so much of it are inflated, as you will often see the same buyer starting up tons of accounts to benefit from these savings.

Same with Aliexpress's very lucrative coupons for "new US accounts" where you can get 6US of any 15 to 20US purchase or 3US of a 4US purchase.
Pumping account margins, so it looks like you have more users/growth/value than you have is quite common.. You see it in many segments even on social media forums.
Aliexpress & co is not having an easy time these years, and shares plummeted 3/4  (Alibaba group)

Offline Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #923 on: March 16, 2024, 08:32:39 pm »
The chance of buying without VAT from EU was really high on small orders, and assured from european warehouses. It was also ridiculously unfair for local dealers.
VAT charge on origin, and import taxes when applicable, have made Aliexpress and Banggood much more expensive, often over local retailers' price tag.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2024, 08:34:54 pm by Antonio90 »

The following users thanked this post: Bad_Driver

Offline hallkbrdz

• Contributor
« Reply #924 on: March 17, 2024, 10:22:28 pm »

Although listed on the Testec site, from what I can tell these are NLA (Batronix, Batterfly, etc).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf