Author Topic: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's  (Read 824742 times)

Offline Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #700 on: March 05, 2024, 05:45:41 pm »
I just ordered one. It was a tough decision passing on the 1000X-HD, but it would have completely blown all my self-imposed hobby allowance savings.

The SDS804X-HD + SDG1032X it's still €400 away from the 1000X-HD. That's a few projects, proper cabling (which I don't have yet), and maybe even a nanoVNA or a couple higher bandwith probes.

Someone was talking in a previous post how the SDS1000X-HD is eating into the SDS2000X-HD market. But really, it's the basic 800X-HD with almost all the features, same sample rate, memory depth and bandwith the one that is eating into the 1000X-HD market. Price/performance ratio is just too good.
I'm going to miss the 50Ohm input impedance, the external trigger and the bigger screen, but not as much as an AWG and cabling. Having to get creative each time something requires 3+ connections gets old fast.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 05:50:20 pm by Antonio90 »

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #701 on: March 05, 2024, 05:54:01 pm »
... and on flashy user interfaces ...
They look more like being done with bubble gum and crayons to me. :-DD
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #702 on: March 05, 2024, 06:03:03 pm »
its called art ;D...

Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #703 on: March 05, 2024, 06:06:01 pm »
I really don't watch Dave's video's much anymore.  Pertinence and detail have gone way down and to me that means a drop in quality.  Not only that but he quite often makes political comments and brings up (just short of promoting, actually) ridiculous conspiracy theories.

He's really not interested in digging in and uncovering technical information anymore.  Much more interested in spending all the money we have helped him earn on renovating his house.  I couldn't give a gnat's fart about his pool. :palm:
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #704 on: March 05, 2024, 06:20:32 pm »
It would be very nice if Shahriar from The Signal Path would sacrifice himself and go into the depths of the simple user level and analyze and discuss the SDS 800. I like his videos and teardowns even if I don't always understand them. But it is no fancy 80 GHz scope….
« Last Edit: March 05, 2024, 06:34:56 pm by Bad_Driver »

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #705 on: March 05, 2024, 06:47:18 pm »
its called art ;D...

LOL!

At least those guys kept their crayons between the lines.  Rigol must be using kindergarten "artists".

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #706 on: March 05, 2024, 06:56:26 pm »
Not entertainment. That is what Youtube is all about.

I agree completely that the vast majority of YouTube is aimed at providing entertainment, but there is definitely a (much smaller) audience for "boring" technical / educational videos as well.

Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #707 on: March 05, 2024, 07:29:39 pm »
HI, has anyone confirmed that the SDS824X has the same hardware as the other two? The issue of having more memory was because someone took down the SDS1000X has saw a bigger memory chip?

or that teardown was indeed a SDS824X?
Defpom teardown was with my SDS814X HD.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #708 on: March 05, 2024, 07:48:03 pm »
Someone has to sacrifice themselves and buy an 824...
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #709 on: March 05, 2024, 07:52:19 pm »
Not ordered any but got a customer request for a SDS1204X HD yesterday.....unfortunately it's weeks away from hitting these shores.  :(
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #710 on: March 05, 2024, 08:16:05 pm »

If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then it just may be a duck.

So why buy it?  :popcorn:

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #711 on: March 05, 2024, 08:52:08 pm »
So why buy it?  :popcorn:

Obviously to compare the duck meat to the less expensive duck meat before possibly returning it if it's the same thing. 🤷
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #712 on: March 05, 2024, 08:59:45 pm »
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #713 on: March 05, 2024, 09:01:15 pm »
Obviously to compare the duck meat to the less expensive duck meat before possibly returning it if it's the same thing.
Exactly.
I'm tempted to buy an 824 just to have a look inside. 8)
But if it's 100% certain that all models are built the same way, I'll only get rid of the Scope at a massive loss, because there's no reason to buy an 824. :P
No, someone else will have to find it this time. ;)

@ebastler:
Siglent seems to have recently started using highly sensitive seals, where even the hot air method no longer works.
(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, ebastler, KungFuJosh

Offline orzel

• Regular Contributor
    • Sylphide Consulting
« Reply #714 on: March 05, 2024, 09:13:30 pm »
tbh imho current sds800 series has strong selling point, comparable price and 2GSps... i may not buy it right away due to no urgent need, i need to think wisely on money expenditure, not just for fun or "here i'm the early birder!" but if need another scope, sds800 may be included in consideration. ymmv.

I'm all convinced too. If i can sell my sds1104x-e for a not-too-bad price, i'll switch to this one without hesitation. Not that i'm unhappy with my current scope, mind you :)

(and I've also stopped watching Dave's videos, for quite some time  already. I'm not interested at all in all his recent 'solar' / 'bust(ed)' / 'dumpster' stuff)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #715 on: March 05, 2024, 09:19:28 pm »
If i can sell my sds1104x-e for a not-too-bad price

Then do it quickly, the scope is still listed at just under €500.
My guess is that it will either disappear or be offered at a lower price, replacing the U model.
(Kierkegaard)

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #716 on: March 05, 2024, 09:42:34 pm »
Not entertainment. That is what Youtube is all about.

I agree completely that the vast majority of YouTube is aimed at providing entertainment, but there is definitely a (much smaller) audience for "boring" technical / educational videos as well.

Well, we don't consider your videos "boring", more like "enlightening" instead :-+

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, Jacon, pdenisowski, Martin72

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #717 on: March 06, 2024, 01:23:30 pm »

Anyway, it seems that an "improved" 804 or 814 model will reach the same performance as the 824 in every respect.

Unfortunately I'm on a business trip till Saturday. If I find time on the weekend, I will repeat this exercise with my 804.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, Mortymore

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #718 on: March 06, 2024, 04:35:39 pm »
Roughly speaking, what previously caused a sensation in a 1500€ scope (2000Xplus) is now available for 400..500€.
I think this is a game changer in the low-cost sector.
(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline Antonio90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #719 on: March 06, 2024, 04:43:08 pm »
Roughly speaking, what previously caused a sensation in a 1500€ scope (2000Xplus) is now available for 400..500€.
I think this is a game changer in the low-cost sector.
I won't have it for a week or two still (spanish distributors don't have stock yet), but it really seems to be the new low-cost standard.
Certainly a game changer. The only things I will really miss are HDMI-out and 50 Ohm path.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #720 on: March 06, 2024, 05:46:39 pm »
maybe a few comments on look and feel -- while most of these aspects have been mentioned before, it can't hurt to have another view, since subjective perception will vary:
I cannot comment on the probes, but maybe on some of your other observations, just to put them (and the SDS800X HD) into perspective for other potential buyers:

The fan is quite audible, but not terrible: Certainly louder than my SDG2000X function generator, but nowhere near the DHO1000 with its "ready for lift-off" fans. Probably on par with the old DS1000Z before I modified it years ago. In addition to the airflow sound, there is a bit of hum at ~200 Hz, which maybe a better fan could avoid. But it's not an unpleasant noise overall, and I don't feel compelled to do warranty-voiding modifications anytime soon.
I think the SDS824X HD is easily the most annoying instrument in my lab when it comes to audible noise, where there are also “big boys” sitting around, like the SDS6204 H12 Pro, which does have the potential to drown out the SDS824X HD, yet it doesn’t actually do this because of its temperature controlled fan.

In fact, I feel the SDS824X HD is even a tad noisier than the SDS1104X-E, which aligns well with your assessment of the SDS814X HD being about as noisy as the DS1000Z, which @Martin72 once measured some 7 dB louder than the SDS1004X-E, if I remember correctly.

In any case, I’m aways eager to turn off the SDS824X HD when it’s not in use, whereas the SDS2000X plus is already way more bearable. And then there are two instruments that I never turn off at all, because they are pretty much inaudible: then SDS2504X HD and my laptop computer.

[The screen is certainly bright enough, even with the morning sun earlier today; I have reduced the brightness to 90%. The DHO1000 was brighter though, I had turned that down to 60% or so. The screen's cover glass is less glossy than on the DHO1000, but not as matte as on the DS1000Z; I need to position the scope such that there is no direct reflection from the window behind me.
There we can see the actual subjectivity of these things: I’m content with just 50% LCD-brightness, but then again, my window is to the left of the instrument and myself.

The SDS824X HD screen is the glossiest one of all Siglent scopes by quite a margin. The SDS2000X HD and the SDS6204 H12 Pro screens are almost not reflective at all.

I like the user interface a lot! I have not actively used a Siglent scope before and am only beginning to explore all the functions -- but keep noticing details where obviously a lot of thought and refinement, based on practical use, has been put into the implementation.
Well, maybe it pays off that (other than some of the competition) Siglent decided to have consultants and beta testers from the industry for more than 8 years now. There was (and still is) a lot of progress all the time.

Since the SDS800X HD comes in the same housing as its non-touch predecessor, there are quite a few buttons! E.g. Decode, Acquire, Display have dedicated buttons to call up the respective menus, and there are also buttons to navigate recorded data. I like that so far; maybe I will use them less as I get more familiar with touch operation, but the buttons don't hurt. Their layout makes sense to me. I only wish Siglent had not opted for seven (!) different button shapes, which make the front panel look a bit more cluttered than necessary.
Well, the housing is a bit dated by now – after all it has been designed for a non-touch scope originally.

Have you noticed the “Quick Action” button? I have programmed it for “History”, because this how we can stop an ongoing acquisition and change to the history with a single button press – utterly convenient in my book.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, 2N3055, Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #721 on: March 06, 2024, 06:00:35 pm »
which @Martin72 once measured some 7 dB louder than the SDS1004X-E, if I remember correctly.

Yepp, nearfield..

(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, artik

Offline lunix

• Contributor
« Reply #722 on: March 06, 2024, 11:25:18 pm »
Do you think this will help RIGOL get serious about quality?  I have a 924S with the LA accessory.  I'm thinking of getting this scope after it's been out for awhile, since it might meet its specs and advertised features reliably, unlike the RIGOL.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #723 on: March 07, 2024, 12:06:53 am »
I won't have it for a week or two still (spanish distributors don't have stock yet), but it really seems to be the new low-cost standard.
Certainly a game changer. The only things I will really miss are HDMI-out and 50 Ohm path.

you can't have everything...

I can't comment on the hdmi output because I don't need it at all.
You can't expect 50 ohm termination so quickly in this price range, regardless of the brand.
But the problem is easy to solve with the external terminators.
I have one from huber+suhner, and you don't notice any difference to an integrated one in the scope.
(Kierkegaard)

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #724 on: March 07, 2024, 06:27:47 am »
Do you think this will help RIGOL get serious about quality?  I have a 924S with the LA accessory.  I'm thinking of getting this scope after it's been out for awhile, since it might meet its specs and advertised features reliably, unlike the RIGOL.
That is question for Rigol. This is not best place to ask that question.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf