Author Topic: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's  (Read 861881 times)

Offline hallkbrdz

• Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #575 on: March 01, 2024, 05:00:54 am »
The one I ordered yesterday in the US shows "on order". Sometime in March, hopefully.

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #576 on: March 01, 2024, 07:04:54 am »
It ain't rocket science, just input the fields correctly and set your location.

From boot the time gets auto synced within 2 minutes.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #577 on: March 01, 2024, 07:15:51 am »
would like to have that feature on my SDS2204HD !

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #578 on: March 01, 2024, 07:17:51 am »
I can confirm that it works like a treat for Austria/Central Europe as well. As soon as the scope is ready after startup, date and time are correct already.  :-+

SDS824X HD_NTP

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #579 on: March 01, 2024, 08:11:06 am »
And now for the thing everyone wants: I upgraded the scope from 70 MHz to 200 MHz bandwidth.

Thanks to baldurn for his brave liberation proof!

I'm looking forward to have my 804 on the bench next week!
Last weekend I went trough the data sheets of the 1000X and the 800x series. Correct me if I wrong but the only differences I found were the switchable 50 ohms inputs and the
larger screen but with the same resolution and the trigger input on the back side. So the decision for the 804 was easy.

Since I have the SDS2000X and the SAA3000X+ (SVA now) still on the bench for RF works I would choose and keep the 804 without "improvement".
And budget, color and form factor are so nice that my wife will not recognize a new toy on my bench  :-*

Can you plz test the wavegen coupling for bode plot?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 08:17:59 am by Bad_Driver »
„Everything must be made as simple as possible. But not simpler.”
― Albert Einstein

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Mortymore

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #580 on: March 01, 2024, 09:27:21 am »

It was already tested . It is literally the same as all other Siglent touchscopes.
Simply connect and it works.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Rudgas

« Reply #581 on: March 01, 2024, 09:41:10 am »
And this is where my scope would be, if the courier would have bothered to actually find my address  |O

I also wouldn't dismiss the comfort of the 10.1" screen on the 1000X, Siglent makes excellent use of the resolution on their screens, and working with the SDS5000, the 1024*600 didn't really bother me. Another thing I'm curious to find out about the 7" screen will be the touch-screen usability with the comparatively smaller touch-fields. But I guess this depends on wether you have Wurstfingers (technical term) or not.

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #582 on: March 01, 2024, 09:41:52 am »

It was already tested . It is literally the same as all other Siglent touchscopes.

The question is wheter the py-script works for this. 
― Albert Einstein

Offline baldurn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #583 on: March 01, 2024, 11:13:47 am »

The question is wheter the py-script works for this.

I have enabled all options with the script. But if you are going to be using an USB connected signal generator, such as SDGxxxx, you don't need to enable anything. That should as far as I know work standard without any options.

The option codes for this scope are:

70M (to downgrade to 804)
100M (upgrade to 814)
200M (upgrade to 824)
AWG (enable signal generator)
MSO (enable logic probe)
PWA (enable power analysis)

However both AWG and MSO requires extra hardware. I am not sure what the point is by having this locked, since you can't use it without the hardware and supposedly the option codes come with the hardware. Just appears to making it harder than it has to be if you ask me.

The following users thanked this post: Bad_Driver

• Super Contributor
« Reply #584 on: March 01, 2024, 11:19:26 am »
However both AWG and MSO requires extra hardware. I am not sure what the point is by having this locked, since you can't use it without the hardware and supposedly the option codes come with the hardware. Just appears to making it harder than it has to be if you ask me.
They don't, licenses are additional cost and specific to each scope whereas the HW can be used on any compatible scope with licensing.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline baldurn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #585 on: March 01, 2024, 11:25:33 am »
Finally even though I configured my timezone it is still wrong by 1 hour. It apparently does not know how to do daylight saving compensation.

Strange -- we aren't even on daylight saving time at the moment, so how would that enter the equation?

Can you convince the scope to display the correct time by deliberately setting the next time zone? Or does it ignore time zones entirely and always displays UTC?

Hmm you are right. It went too quickly last night. So the problem is different in that it forgot my timezone and reset it back to somewhere in Africa. The UI is quirky in that you have to select the timezone, then press a button to set that you really want to change it and THEN you have to press a resync button. Forget any of that or do sync before setting timezone and it seems to reset.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #586 on: March 01, 2024, 11:35:52 am »

Simply. You can buy 20 oscilloscope with MSO licences and/or AWG license and only 1 AWG and/or one MSO hardware if these oscilloscopes users very rarely need these features but for these cases it need be availabe from the workplace's tool storage. Or example 2 hardwares just depending needs.  All customers are not just single individual hobbyists.  Or buy 2 la probe and one scope with one license. (but in these case perhaps we do not talk just SDS800 and SLA1016)
Also example LA probes easy wear up if heavy use. No need always buy whole set.. license and HW.
So these are sold separately dye to more than just one reason.

EV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline baldurn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #587 on: March 01, 2024, 12:07:56 pm »

Simply. You can buy 20 oscilloscope with MSO licences and/or AWG license and only 1 AWG and/or one MSO hardware if these oscilloscopes users very rarely need these features but for these cases it need be availabe from the workplace's tool storage. Or example 2 hardwares just depending needs.  All customers are not just single individual hobbyists.  Or buy 2 la probe and one scope with one license. (but in these case perhaps we do not talk just SDS800 and SLA1016)
Also example LA probes easy wear up if heavy use. No need always buy whole set.. license and HW.

It's like buying some hardware and then only be allowed to use it with one computer. It's simply greed. You already got paid once and now you want money again without producing anything.

Worse the 8xx series scopes are clearly sold to consumers. Selling some hardware and then after you receive that hardware, you get told you have to pay extra to actually use it? Not legal.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #588 on: March 01, 2024, 12:43:25 pm »

It's like buying some hardware and then only be allowed to use it with one computer. It's simply greed. You already got paid once and now you want money again without producing anything.

Worse the 8xx series scopes are clearly sold to consumers. Selling some hardware and then after you receive that hardware, you get told you have to pay extra to actually use it? Not legal.

This is your, basically political, opinion.

Scope is hardware and software.
Same as PC is hardware and software.

You are arguing that if you buy one PC with Windows and Office you have right to install Office on every other PC you own.
You don't.

If there is greed it is on your side. You want something that you didn't pay for. And have tenacity to say other side is to blame because they don't want to give you for for free whatever you want.... Damn the greedy bastards, how dare they?

Your statement is just funny. Do you really believe what you just said?
Why do you feel entitled to demand such things?

Do you realize that people that are actually working hard to make these things you would like to so laconically appropriate as you wish, would actually like to be paid for their hard work? Or do you think that is not necessary?

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline baldurn

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #589 on: March 01, 2024, 01:22:00 pm »
You are arguing that if you buy one PC with Windows and Office you have right to install Office on every other PC you own.
You don't.

Calm down please. It is not like buying software. It is like buying a PC and when it arrives there is a password lock on it. Then the seller wants money to tell you the code.

What you describe is what it would be if the hardware was sold with a code to _one_ scope. But tautech tells us it is sold with codes for _zero_ scopes. So you get a product you can't actually use without going back and buy a code. That is called deceptive marketing. You think you are buying for a set price but it really is more expensive, which you are told after you paid.

Of course I think it would be fair that the license follows the hardware. Why wouldn't it? It is like buying a printer that only works with one computer. If you need to repurpose that printer, you have to pay for it again? That is not really fair. But that is not what I claim to be illegal. That is just unfair. The illegal thing is what I described in previous paragraph. The practice of selling hardware that you can not actually use.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #590 on: March 01, 2024, 01:54:04 pm »
Today I asked for 4 5 soft options for one of our Lecroy scopes and got a great offer with a big discount:
Only 18000€.... 8)
Everything is relative, stop crying. ;)
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 04:30:09 pm by Martin72 »
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto, Bad_Driver

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #591 on: March 01, 2024, 03:39:15 pm »
You don't.

Calm down please. It is not like buying software. It is like buying a PC and when it arrives there is a password lock on it. Then the seller wants money to tell you the code.

What you describe is what it would be if the hardware was sold with a code to _one_ scope. But tautech tells us it is sold with codes for _zero_ scopes. So you get a product you can't actually use without going back and buy a code. That is called deceptive marketing. You think you are buying for a set price but it really is more expensive, which you are told after you paid.

Of course I think it would be fair that the license follows the hardware. Why wouldn't it? It is like buying a printer that only works with one computer. If you need to repurpose that printer, you have to pay for it again? That is not really fair. But that is not what I claim to be illegal. That is just unfair. The illegal thing is what I described in previous paragraph. The practice of selling hardware that you can not actually use.

I am as calm as one can be.
You're the one with pitchforks and calling hard working people names.

Who lied to you? About what?

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #592 on: March 01, 2024, 03:50:47 pm »
You don't.

Nobody "likes" licensing, whether it be software or hardware except those that are selling the licenses.   However it's the way things are done and has been for a long time.  You will not only find it in test equipment and computers, but in many other product lines including automobiles these days.  Also, while hardware licensing is not very prevalent (but not completely absent) in personal computers it certainly is in mainframe, server and networking platforms.

I get the impression you were not aware of it and that it's come as a surprise.

In any case, we benefit from the way Siglent does their licensing.

Would you prefer if everything was hard coded?  No upgrade path without purchasing a new scope/computer/car?  Not for me thanks. 
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #593 on: March 01, 2024, 04:39:00 pm »
Of course I think it would be fair that the license follows the hardware. Why wouldn't it?

Because the license you're paying for is not for the hardware. You're paying for software licensing on the scope to use the hardware. Assuming you don't want to "improve" your scope another way.

I agree, I don't like things costing extra. However, the alternative is the scope would either come with all or none of the options. Meaning you pay up front for all options, or they're simply not available. The way it works now is the better option.
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

• Super Contributor
« Reply #594 on: March 01, 2024, 04:54:04 pm »
You don't.

Wrong.

Every unit comes with 30 free uses for every option however for SDS800X HD the only option you can try is Power Analysis without needing the matching HW.
Who hasn't got differential and current probes ?  ;)

If you were not so eager to improve your scope the instant you received it you may have noticed these things, direct from the box.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #595 on: March 01, 2024, 06:02:38 pm »
Please let‘s stop this discussion here.

My company sells heavy discounted software bundles to our customers for 120.000€ or more for their hardware (only for one device!) and no one complains.

For us hobbyists Siglent is the perfect partner and I think we all benefit from their very friendly licensing policy.
― Albert Einstein

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, Performa01, egonotto, 2N3055, BreakingOhmsLaw, Veteran68, mawyatt, hallkbrdz

Offline orzel

• Regular Contributor
    • Sylphide Consulting
« Reply #596 on: March 02, 2024, 12:40:16 am »
Who hasn't got differential and current probes ?  ;)

Er.... I don't have any  :palm:
But I do feel guilty !  :-DD

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #597 on: March 02, 2024, 09:35:22 am »
To all my german friends here, it seems that the german resellers got the new devices in stock.
DHL announced the delivery of my 804 for today!

PS: DHL just changed delivery date to Monday  :-//
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 10:53:29 am by Bad_Driver »
― Albert Einstein

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Mortymore

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #598 on: March 02, 2024, 11:03:15 am »
Batronix not, but welectron got the 804/814/824 on stock with 1-3 business days delivery time:

https://www.welectron.com/Siglent-SDS804X-HD-Oscilloscope
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #599 on: March 02, 2024, 11:11:14 am »
Batronix not, but welectron got the 804/814/824 on stock with 1-3 business days delivery time:

https://www.welectron.com/Siglent-SDS804X-HD-Oscilloscope

Yes, Welectron got them yesterday and send them out in the afternoon!
― Albert Einstein

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf