Author Topic: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's  (Read 832548 times)

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
Rumors!
« Reply #1525 on: June 07, 2024, 08:38:51 pm »
I just heard a rumor that within 3 weeks, Siglent is going to roll out a firmware update that will unlock the AWG and MSO capabilities of some of their oscilloscopes including these models. However, they will be increasing the cost of the hardware required to use these options.  Has anyone else heard this, or is it old news?

If this is true, now would be a good time to get the MSO and/or AWG hardware.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
Re: Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1526 on: June 07, 2024, 09:11:53 pm »
This is the first time I've heard of this. ???
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Rumors!
« Reply #1527 on: June 07, 2024, 09:34:16 pm »
I just heard a rumor that within 3 weeks, Siglent is going to roll out a firmware update that will unlock the AWG and MSO capabilities of some of their oscilloscopes including these models. However, they will be increasing the cost of the hardware required to use these options.  Has anyone else heard this, or is it old news?

If this is true, now would be a good time to get the MSO and/or AWG hardware.
No indication of such in next months price list excepting that of a new PSU.  :-X

I wonder if licensing is to be linked to the external HW options to allow use on any DSO in a model series they are licensed to ?
That would require SW/FW upgrades for all HW for it to indicate to the scope it was licensed once trial times uses have expired.

Siglent's monthly newsletter is likely the place where we will be informed of such.
Ya'll signed up for it right ?  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Furna

• Contributor
Re: Rumors!
« Reply #1528 on: June 08, 2024, 06:57:43 am »
No indication of such in next months price list excepting that of a new PSU.  :-X

I was just starting to search the market for a bench PSU and I realized Siglent is a little behind for PSU around 600/800 bucks.
Iwas wondering if a new PSU was on Siglent's schedule.
Do you have more news or a release date?
Thank you
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Furna

Offline awakephd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1530 on: June 08, 2024, 06:48:08 pm »
I have begun learning how to use the decoding capabilities on the SDS804X HD. I've got an Arduino set up to transmit "Testing 123" over and over again. In the course of my experimenting, I tried setting up Bus1 and Bus2 both to decode the same signal, e.g. with one showing Hex and the other ASCII. This works as shown below:

With further experimenting, I was looking to see if there is a way to decode the SPI bus without having to use an explicit CS signal. (This might - ? - allow decoding 2 SPI channels, each using just one of the MISO or MOSI lines with the other disabled.) I found that there is a "CLK timeout" setting which will work if the interval is set low enough. I was able to set the timeout to 35ns on Bus2:

However, when I try to set the clock timeout to the same 35ns for Bus1, it tells me that 100ns is the minimum value:

As can be seen in the last two images, Bus2 is decoding successfully with the clock timeout set to 35ns, but Bus2 is not decoding because its minimum clock timeout of 100ns is too high. :(

Likely I am not understanding something, or missed something when I read the manual. Is there a reason I can't set the Bus1 clock timeout below 100ns?

Firmware is 1.1.3.6
« Last Edit: June 08, 2024, 06:49:53 pm by awakephd »

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Bad_Driver

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1531 on: June 08, 2024, 07:32:43 pm »
Hi,

Your picture shows a timeout of 35µs, not ns.....
(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, egonotto, 2N3055, mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1532 on: June 08, 2024, 09:43:31 pm »
I have begun learning how to use the decoding capabilities on the SDS804X HD. I've got an Arduino set up to transmit "Testing 123" over and over again. In the course of my experimenting, I tried setting up Bus1 and Bus2 both to decode the same signal, e.g. with one showing Hex and the other ASCII. This works as shown below:
In each screenshot you have the scope in Stop mode that to me indicates you don't first have stable triggering.

Trigger is set to Ch1, the clock, but do you have Holdoff set to prevent retriggering within each packet ?
IMO with basic decoding you should focus on obtaining rock solid triggering before adjusting any CS settings.

Start with getting your H Pos back on the display so you can see how your setting changes influence the trigger point.
Oh and as your signals seem noisy, just one of you probe reference leads connected to system Gnd should tidy things up some. Check for possible GND loops with a DMM first if you have concerns.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Mortymore

Offline awakephd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1533 on: June 09, 2024, 12:51:01 am »
Face-palm moment ... indeed, 35uS, rather than 35ns. Let me try that again ...

Meanwhile, Rob, your comments are spot-on as far as both the noise and the triggering. On the noise - I do have the ground hooked up to the Arduino's ground, so I am puzzled at the amount of noise I am getting. I guess I need to dig into this further to see if I can figure out what is going on.

With the triggering, I had tried to use an interval trigger, i.e., triggering only after the clock was quiescent for a certain amount of time. But either I didn't set it up very well, or there was a lot of jitter in the timing of the loop, because I still could not get anything stable. So instead, I did a single-shot capture and decoded that.

A little bit of progress ... a lot of learning yet to do!

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055, Martin72

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1534 on: June 09, 2024, 12:54:56 am »
Face-palm moment ... indeed, 35uS, rather than 35ns. Let me try that again ...

Meanwhile, Rob, your comments are spot-on as far as both the noise and the triggering. On the noise - I do have the ground hooked up to the Arduino's ground, so I am puzzled at the amount of noise I am getting. I guess I need to dig into this further to see if I can figure out what is going on.

With the triggering, I had tried to use an interval trigger, i.e., triggering only after the clock was quiescent for a certain amount of time. But either I didn't set it up very well, or there was a lot of jitter in the timing of the loop, because I still could not get anything stable. So instead, I did a single-shot capture and decoded that.

A little bit of progress ... a lot of learning yet to do!
No worries.
In the process of preparing a set of screenshots for guidance, however with SDS6204A as my 814X HD is out with a customer for appraisal. Still the settings you will need to apply are the same and as the UI is almost identical you should be able to follow along just fine.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, KungFuJosh, mawyatt, TomKatt

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1535 on: June 09, 2024, 01:12:16 am »
Examples of the helpful folks here :clap:

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1536 on: June 09, 2024, 08:51:49 am »
KISS Decoding example

This is not how everyone should do this, just how I setup to decode any protocol, known or not.
Some scope settings may have been changed in this series of screenshots but none that matter to the end result.

Down to business:
SPI without a CS signal
Siglent STB-3 signal test board.

First we must find the Clock and obtain rock solid triggering where in this screenshot that is Stopped to show how a packet is incorrectly triggered due to no use of Holdoff to inhibit retriggering within the same packet.
We can see a packet width is ~1 horizontal div where a Holdoff setting of 200us will prevent triggering until the packet has finished.
Also at this point we can see the Clock signal is Idle High/Active Low in relation to Ch4 0V vertical position and therefore also make the trigger Edge change to Falling to correctly trigger on the first edge of the packet.

Now we can add the channel containing the data after acquiring rock solid stable triggering and start configuring Decode settings. Simple thus far.....

A little jump ahead.....
We can see above where the H Pos is set to mid display where if we magnify the timebase to closely inspect a packet part of it will be off the display and we will need to adjust H Position to see it all.
For this we have another setting that can help especially if we are to adjust the timebase so to not have the H Position we have set dance all over the display, so we lock it in a fixed position from Utility/System Settings/Reference Pos.

Now we have the settings fixed in stone it's time to configure the CS options to decode without a Clock Sense signal.
Active High and Active Low are for when you have a CS signal and in its absence we use a CLK Timeout however we need tell Decode which signal it applies to, in this case Ch4, the Clock signal.

We can use Cursors to determine the timeout required which would normally be just the length of a CS signal, the length of a packet.

In most cases CLK Timeout settings are quite forgiving if we have most other settings correct.

This guidance will get most on the right track to where they can start transferring Decode settings to the Trigger and defining an exact bit to trigger on.
If here and not getting results that make sense, be sure to check Decode Threshold settings are within the waveform amplitude levels, somewhere ~50% is usually just fine.

Have fun.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 10:56:49 am by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, newbrain, Mortymore, KungFuJosh, astromeier

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1537 on: June 09, 2024, 10:59:51 am »
Why don't you ever use the serial triggers?
I often use the “copy to trigger” function and then everything is usually fine.
(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1538 on: June 09, 2024, 11:08:53 am »
Why don't you ever use the serial triggers?
Line 1 = KISS
Line 2 = This is not how everyone should do this, just how I setup to decode any protocol, known or not.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Martin72

Offline awakephd

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1539 on: June 10, 2024, 09:12:45 pm »
Rob, thank you so much for this detailed instruction! It may be a few days before I have a chance to try it out, but I will definitely do so.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Cyclotron

• Contributor
« Reply #1540 on: June 12, 2024, 06:06:35 pm »
I really like my SDS804X HD, happy I waited before jumping to 12-bit. I would have liked a VESA mount like the Rigols have though.... so I made one.

There are a lot of pictures, description and STL files here:

https://www.printables.com/model/863752-siglent-sds8xx-vesa-mount

If you don't have a printer you could use my shared project on PCBWay in which case I may get a small commission:

https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/VESA_mount_for_Siglent_SDS8xx_oscilloscope_5eb70f30.html

But in both places you can download the files and get them printed anywhere you like. I hope you find it useful.

Thanks, this worked sweet!  I was envious of that option on the Rigol as I need to move my scope in and out of my way a lot. This works a treat, but I only had white filament to print with.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 03:50:33 am by Cyclotron »

The following users thanked this post: TomKatt

Offline TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1541 on: June 12, 2024, 06:11:35 pm »
^ IMG_2753

I've seen that Penn & Teller act.  But I didn't know they used oscilloscopes lol  :-DD
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PICt

The following users thanked this post: Cyclotron

Offline BirdManPhil

• Contributor
« Reply #1542 on: June 15, 2024, 02:52:09 am »
Does the hack unlock more than just the bandwidth? I thought I read that there are a few paid software upgrades for these scopes? I want to buy one soon just trying to figure out of I should grab this or a rigol mso5000 series

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1543 on: June 15, 2024, 02:57:34 am »
Does the hack unlock more than just the bandwidth? I thought I read that there are a few paid software upgrades for these scopes? I want to buy one soon just trying to figure out of I should grab this or a rigol mso5000 series

You need to do a little more research.  It's all here -> https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds-sdg-hack-script

It's not really a hack.  It's the generation of valid license keys.  Yes, keys for all options can be generated.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline BirdManPhil

• Contributor
« Reply #1544 on: June 15, 2024, 03:18:27 am »
Ahh ok thanks for the info

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1545 on: June 16, 2024, 07:45:52 pm »
https://www.siglent.com/products-overview/sds800edu/

Interesting...
120/220Mhz and "teaching signals".

(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Markus2801A, EvgenyG

Offline Furna

• Contributor
Sigrok/Pulseview for Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1546 on: June 17, 2024, 08:50:42 pm »
Anyone already tried to use Sigrok/Pulseview with Siglent SDS800X HD series?
What software do you use to acquire data?
Thank you

• Super Contributor
Re: Sigrok/Pulseview for Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1547 on: June 17, 2024, 09:02:57 pm »
Thank you
See P736 Programming Examples
https://int.siglent.com/u_file/document/SDS800XHD_Series_ProgrammingGuide_EN11F.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: Furna

Offline Furna

• Contributor
Re: Sigrok/Pulseview for Siglent SDS800X HD 12 bit DSO's
« Reply #1548 on: June 18, 2024, 04:45:27 pm »
Thank you
See P736 Programming Examples
https://int.siglent.com/u_file/document/SDS800XHD_Series_ProgrammingGuide_EN11F.pdf

Thank you @tautech
Anyway trying to not reinvent the wheel, and confident that the guys at Sigrok did a good job already, I am following also another path

The error could be due to the fact I wasn't sampling anything at the time I run the command.
I'll report my progress.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2024, 05:03:02 pm by Furna »

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1549 on: June 18, 2024, 05:52:11 pm »
AFAIK, Sigrok is not really actively developed and I don't think there is support for 2000X+ or any of the 12 bit scopes that support 16bit data format (v4).
If I'm wrong I would like to be corrected...

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf