Author Topic: Siglent SDS800 Zoom out question (problem?)  (Read 165 times)

Offline frank2644Topic starter

• Contributor
Siglent SDS800 Zoom out question (problem?)
« on: Today at 05:21:27 pm »
A couple of years ago I bought a Siglent SDS1104X-e and it has performed very well for me with one notable exception. That is, the ability to zoom out to examine events that happened just prior to trigger and outside the screen view area.  Dave had a video describing this shortcoming and he seemed to think that was a significant disadvantage. Sure there are workarounds, like recapturing using a longer sweep rate, but I have found that annoying over the years.

Here’s Dave’s explanation of the problem.

I am considering buying the SDS800 but I’m wondering if it has the same zoom out problem?

Thanks,
Frank

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
Re: Siglent SDS800 Zoom out question (problem?)
« Reply #1 on: Today at 05:37:32 pm »
Look at History mode on the Siglent. I think that applies to your old scope also.
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

Offline frank2644Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:01:02 pm »
Look at History mode on the Siglent. I think that applies to your old scope also.
Yes, I have a History key but I have not been able to figure out how to use it. I think you have to start the trace and then turn on history mode. However that seems to stop the trace and that implies human detection of an event is necessary. Further when it stops if the Horiz sweep is fairly slow (>5ms) it doesn't capture  any frames. And I don't think it works at-all in single sweep mode. In summary, it seems too complicated and limited to be useful. Having a zoom out seems a lot simpler and doesn't require any setup.

If anybody knows if the SDS800 supports zoom out please advise.

Thanks for replying
Frank

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:42:06 pm »
I am considering buying the SDS800 but I’m wondering if it has the same zoom out problem?

It's the Siglent way.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: Today at 09:40:46 pm »
I am considering buying the SDS800 but I’m wondering if it has the same zoom out problem ?
Problem it isn't, it's just the way these low cost Siglents work, just as LeCroy and IIRC Pico too.

SDS800X HD to SDS2000X Plus all work the same but higher models offer a Fixed Mem Depth acquisition mode to provide the zoom out feature.

However you will find SDS800X HD Zoom mode more powerful than the earlier X-E series.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf