Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus Hack  (Read 196987 times)

Offline 21KUZY073

• Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus Hack
« Reply #175 on: February 17, 2021, 08:57:39 am »
use SCPI commend "MCBD", e.g. "MCBD your BW-Key" and send
I quickly study what SCPI is, then installed NI-VISA as written in "Programing guide" and tested to send MCBD and my BW-Key - It works!
Now there is written SDS2352X in System Status - Thank you KeBeNe !

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #176 on: February 17, 2021, 09:19:51 am »
use SCPI commend "MCBD", e.g. "MCBD your BW-Key" and send
I quickly study what SCPI is, then installed NI-VISA as written in "Programing guide" and tested to send MCBD and my BW-Key - It works!
Now there is written SDS2352X in System Status - Thank you KeBeNe !
:-//
Why, when the scope has an internal webserver that includes a SCPI command panel.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline 21KUZY073

• Contributor
« Reply #177 on: February 17, 2021, 10:14:03 am »
simply because I do not know my new oscilloscope enough :-)
But why the Amplitude measuring is not correct? At sinus signal it is half of the Pk to Pk value. I tested AC DC Coupling but allays the same result. Is it Peak-to-peak amplitude the oscilloscope usually measure?
BTW, No changes in machine after upgrade from 2202 to 2352 All signals looks exactly same as before.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 11:28:44 am by 21KUZY073 »

Online Peter_O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #178 on: February 17, 2021, 10:35:08 am »
peak to peak does mean -50 to +50mV, which is 100mV in total. So everything ist fine.

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #179 on: February 17, 2021, 10:56:18 am »
But why the Amplitude measuring is not correct? At sinus signal it is half of the Pk to Pk value. I tested AC DC Coupling but allays the same result.
Huh?

Even though this is off topic, I still want to say this:
1. Pk-Pk ~100mV is obviously correct (because the signal amplitude is 5 divisions on the screen at 20 mV/div)
2. Amplitude (as well as Top and Base) is a measurement NOT applicable for sine waves, only meant for squarewave and pulses.
3. Even so, Amplitude measurement is not far off and appears to be easily within even the DC accuracy specs (despite being a 10 MHz signal) - yet another strong reason to NOT complain.

EDIT: For those wondering (and unwilling to RTFM):
Pk-Pk and Amplitude are almost the same measurement, but Pk-Pk includes the overshoot in rectangular waveforms, whereas Amplitude only uses the flat top and base.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 11:00:32 am by Performa01 »

Offline 21KUZY073

• Contributor
« Reply #180 on: February 17, 2021, 04:51:57 pm »
Does anybody know what exactly will change after BW upgrade? I cannot recognize any difference. It looks like nothing is better. If the signal was deformed now is deformed at the same way. I could see frequency 470MHz even if the bandwidth was 200MHz only. Horizontal scale was and is 1ns/div and there are 2 measure point in 1ms witch represents 2GSa/s. So what exactly means 350MHz bandwidth and what has changed comparing 200MHz BW?
BTW which of signal is correct??? - same signal I only changed input resistance and bits resolution on oscilloscope. I did not touch generator. (connection by RG58U cable)
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 02:28:17 pm by 21KUZY073 »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #181 on: February 17, 2021, 07:12:56 pm »
Does anybody know what exactly will change after BW upgrade? I cannot recognize any difference.
You won't unless you have an accurate and level high frequency signal source.

Scope BW is specified when a sine wave is 3dB down.
Eg a 1V sinewave = 0.707V on the instrument.
For a 350 MHz DSO this would be expected at ~400 MHz +~30 MHz.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: Markus2801A

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #182 on: February 17, 2021, 09:45:51 pm »
Hi,

Maybe I´m too lazy to read the last pages (no, I am lazy..), but how could I make the two new decoder types licensig forever with the generator mentioned in post#1 ?

Martin
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: February 17, 2021, 10:39:38 pm »
Maybe I´m too lazy to read the last pages (no, I am lazy..), but how could I make the two new decoder types licensig forever with the generator mentioned in post#1 ?
Use "SENT" and "MANC" (plus SCOPEID) to create the keys. If entry in sccope fails (due to bug with last option), use LCSIL with comma (!) through SCPI interface.
E.g.
LCISL MANC,<key>
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: February 18, 2021, 11:14:20 am »
Does anybody know what exactly will change after BW upgrade? I cannot recognize any difference. It looks like nothing is better. If the signal was deformed now is deformed at the same way. I could see frequency 470MHz even if the bandwidth was 200MHz only. Horizontal scale was and is 1ms/div and there are 2 measure point in 1ms witch represents 2GSa/s. So what exactly means 350MHz bandwidth and what has changed comparing 200MHz BW?
BTW which of signal is correct??? - same signal I only changed input resistance and bits resolution on oscilloscope. I did not touch generator. (connection by RG58U cable)
You wanted to say ns, not ms, right?
You did not deliberately attach screenshots that don't have enough resolution to clearly see the parameters, did you?
You have had a look into the manual, haven't you? Still you've obviously missed the part where it says that 10 bit mode is always limited to 100 MHz bandwidth ;)

Even with the blurred screenshots, I think I can see there is not 1 ns/div, let alone 1 ms/div, but rather 5 ns/div and the signal frequency might be around 50 MHz.

Now for the question about the "correct" signal, assuming the goal is to see a difference between 200 and 350/500 MHz bandwidth.

1. This rules out 10 bit mode already - because it is always just 100 MHz.
2. Fundamental signal theory rules out the 1M (aka High-Z) "measurements" as well, because we cannot expect any signal fidelity/accuracy with a severly mismatched connection.

So what remains?

Correct, it is the properly terminated (50 ohms) 8 bit setup!

Finally the most obvious verification step would be to look at a fast signal with and without the 200 MHz bandwidth limit. The attached screenshots show this for a 50 MHz squarewave with 1 ns rise/fall times. In this case it is the difference between 200MHz (nom.) and 500 MHz (nom. – in actual fact it is about 620 MHz!).

EDIT: The issue with the screenshots was on my side, sorry for the rant.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 08:41:19 am by Performa01 »

Offline 21KUZY073

• Contributor
« Reply #185 on: February 19, 2021, 08:18:59 am »
I tested upgrade to bandwidth 500MHz. It is written on Siglent pages that my origin model SDS2102 can not be upgraded to 500MHz but it looks like it is possible. Now there is written SDS2502X Plus in System Setting.
Thanks to Performa01 I realized there is new menu in Channel/BW Limit: 20M/200M/Full so I can compare 200M vs 500MHz BW. (In SDS2102 there was only 20M/Full) Horizontal scale is now 500ps/div
So finally I can write Yes there is difference after BW upgrade.  Thanks to all.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 04:34:43 pm by 21KUZY073 »

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #186 on: February 19, 2021, 08:54:46 am »
I tested upgrade to bandwidth 500MHz. It is written on Siglent pages that my origin model SDS2102 can not be upgraded to 500MHz but it looks like it is possible. Now there is written SDS2502X Plus in System Setting.
Well, that might be a deliberate marketing decision. A 4-channel 350 MHz scope is still a 2-channel scope if you want to utilize the 500 MHz bandwidth. But for the 2-channel variant such as the SDS2102, you can use only one channel if you want the full 500 MHz bandwidth - and Siglent quite obviously didn't think this would be a viable offer.

Hackers on the other hand, they just don't care ;)

So finally I can write Yes there is difference after BW upgrade.  Thanks to all.
:-+

Offline 21KUZY073

• Contributor
« Reply #187 on: February 19, 2021, 09:09:27 am »
Well, that might be a deliberate marketing decision. A 4-channel 350 MHz scope is still a 2-channel scope if you want to utilize the 500 MHz bandwidth. But for the 2-channel variant such as the SDS2102, you can use only one channel if you want the full 500 MHz bandwidth - and Siglent quite obviously didn't think this would be a viable offer.

Exactly, I just tested it. If I turn on both channels, BW is 350MHz only.

Offline wpmcnamara

« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2021, 03:47:44 pm »
Just purchased a SDS2104x PLUS , (and it came with SDS2000X Plus Firmware - 1.3.7R5 )

So I copied the python code from https://repl.it/@wxq849034624/PrettyAbleGuiltware-1#main.py
and pasted it into https://www.programiz.com/python-programming/online-compiler/ (so I could edit the scopeID without having to register on the repl.it site)

Then copied my scopeID from: Utility/System Setting/System status on the scope menu's to the above python code, pressed Run and up popped up all the keys I needed.

The only slight stumbling block was I had to go from my base 100MHz to 200Mhz, then I had to jump to the 350Mhz key, then on to the final destination 500Mhz, because the others inbetween all produced "Invalid data"

The Bandwidth keys needed a re-boot afterwards, the other options (MSO, MANC and SENT) didn't.

Scope now reports on screen as a SDS2504X PLUS , I didn't need to go near a computer connection, all done on the 'scope screen.

Thanks to all concerned.  :-+

Just wanted to note that as of Feb 21, the above works just fine.  Brought my 2104x+ up to a 2504x+ without incident.

I'm no scope expert, but to chime in on bandwidth expectations...

1)  8-bit mode.  This is called out in the manual and a number of time in this thread. 
2)  Probes.  The 2104X+ comes with 200MHz probes.  This will impact measuring even a 50MHz square wave, to a degree. 
3)  matching/termination.  Also called out elsewhere.  If you are doing bandwidth tests, 50Ohm termination with proper matched coax and signal source.  Also note that 50ohm termination can impact the signal level depending on your signal source.  IIRC Dave did a video on this subject.
4)  Sampling rate.  This is a big thing on this scope.  With a single channel enabled, you get 2Gs/s.  At 500Mhz, thats only 4 samples per cycle.  Trying to look at anything other than a sine wave, or something very close to it, is going to give you a poor representation of the signal.  Signal interpolation only does so good.  If you turn on both channels on the same ADC (1+2/3+4), the same rate drops to 1Gsa/s.  That's not enough for 500MHz, full stop.  Calling it good for 350MHz is a stretch.  250Mhz gets you the same 4x sampling that you had with a single channel at 500MHz. 

For waveforms, the 2504x+ is, IMHO,  a 200MHz (1 channel), 100MHz (2 channel) scope.  Above that, you need to know what you are doing and how to interpret what you are seeing as sample rates start to limit representation.  Where the 500Mhz bandwidth will help to a degree, is with representing high frequency components of slower wave forms -- the aforementioned 50MHz square wave.  Even that is dependent on your probing setup.

The following users thanked this post: JDW, Markus2801A

Offline maxspb69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2021, 05:31:43 pm »
By the way, the supplied 200MHz probes actually have a bandwidth of about 350MHz and a real 1nS rise time! Despite the unprepossessing look and marking "200 MHz".
A rare case when the manufacturer's declared characteristics are worse than real!  :)

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Martin72, Markus2801A

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2021, 08:54:48 pm »
2)  Probes.  The 2104X+ comes with 200MHz probes.  This will impact measuring even a 50MHz square wave, to a degree. 
Even the most expensive passive high-impedance probe with the widest bandwidth rating will not have a perfectly flat frequency response, thus impact measurements to a degree indeed.

Apart from that, how do you know this? Have you ever measured the system bandwidth with the supplied probes?

3)  matching/termination.  Also called out elsewhere.  If you are doing bandwidth tests, 50Ohm termination with proper matched coax and signal source.  Also note that 50ohm termination can impact the signal level depending on your signal source.  IIRC Dave did a video on this subject.
No. It can not impact the signal level, it will impact the signal level. To be more precise, it will halve the signal level when compared to the High Z termination. This is so because the source impedance will be 50 ohms (if it's not, then we don't have a proper matched signal source anymore).

4)  Sampling rate.  This is a big thing on this scope. With a single channel enabled, you get 2Gs/s.  At 500Mhz, that' only 4 samples per cycle.  Trying to look at anything other than a sine wave, or something very close to it, is going to give you a poor representation of the signal.  Signal interpolation only does so good. 
Big thing? This scope? Only good for sine waves? Now fasten your seat belts: any scope (analog or digital) will only be able to properly display and analyze sine waves as soon as you exceed half its bandwidth. Surprise, surprise!

So it all comes down to the (obvious) fact, that for non-sinusoidal signals, much more bandwidth is needed than just covering the fundamental frequency. There have been rules of thumb for almost forever, how for example you should have at least 5 times the bandwidth for a square wave – 7 or even 9 times is better of course. It all comes down what you want to see and measure, i.e. the exact shape of a waveform is often not important, we just want to know the amplitude and where the transitions (i.e. zero crossings) are.

Only 4 samples per cycle? And what does the sampling theorem request?

Do you have test results that indicate that 4 samples per cycle aren't sufficient to reproduce a sine wave?

In theory, we need just 2 samples per cycle. Theory exists only in textbooks, as we all know, so practice is different indeed. Some decades ago, early realtime sampling DSOs like Tek TDS220 could only have 100 MHz bandwidth despite a 1 GSa/s sample rate, just because they only had linear interpolation instead of a proper sin(x)/x reconstruction. Digital signal processing just was not very common back then. As a result, a sample rate ten times higher than the maximum signal frequency was indeed a requirement.

In order to come close to the theory, we need a few things; one of them a proper reconstruction (not interpolation!) at the output of the sampling system. Since this system is not only sampling, but also digital, we have the opportunity to have our reconstruction filter in the digital domain as part of the digital signal processing chain. This means, we can have a FIR filter with near ideal brickwall characteristics and constant group delay. Or should I better say: we could have it, if the number of data points would be infinite. Instead of this, we just have a couple samples per screen width at short timebase settings. This means we cannot go straight to Nyquist, e.g. 500 MHz bandwidth at 1 GSa/s samplerate, it is not the factor of 2.0 from the textbook, but rather 2.5. This means that in today’s DSOs, 1 GSa/s is good for up to 400 Mhz.

If you turn on both channels on the same ADC (1+2/3+4), the same rate drops to 1Gsa/s.  That's not enough for 500MHz, full stop.  Calling it good for 350MHz is a stretch.  250Mhz gets you the same 4x sampling that you had with a single channel at 500MHz. 
Once again I read wild claims – do you have any evidence that 350 MHz is “a stretch”?

The cheap Siglent SDS2000X+ gives you the option to use it up to 500 MHz in half-channel mode. Only in this mode, the input bandwidth is 500 MHz; as soon as the sample rate drops to 1 GSa/s, the input bandwidth is limited to 350 MHz. All this is clearly indicated in the input channel tabs.

Of course the input bandwidth limit is not very effective - it is only 1st order. We cannot have anything more effective in the analog domain, because more than anything else we need a constant group delay in a scope frontend. Consequently, an effective AA filter is not going to happen, but in practice we can live with that quite well.

For waveforms, the 2504x+ is, IMHO,  a 200MHz (1 channel), 100MHz (2 channel) scope.  Above that, you need to know what you are doing and how to interpret what you are seeing as sample rates start to limit representation.  Where the 500Mhz bandwidth will help to a degree, is with representing high frequency components of slower wave forms -- the aforementioned 50MHz square wave.  Even that is dependent on your probing setup.
There is a clear definition: The bandwidth of any scope is where the amplitude of a sine wave drops by 3 dB.

Other than that you are still caught in the (early) nineties of last century, where a factor of ten for sample rate to bandwidth was indeed mandatory – even though with ridiculously short memories like the 2.5k in a TDS220, the sample rate (hence also the bandwidth) drops like a stone for time bases any slower than ~200 ns/div…

It would be much more appropriate to worry about aliasing, because the input bandwidth limit isn’t very effective (it just cannot be) and so we only have a weak AA filtering. This means you can provoke aliasing artefacts if you throw signals with a much wider bandwidth than 500 MHz at the scope in full channel mode.

With fast signals that have a wide spectrum, vastly exceeding 500 MHz, you can indeed provoke aliasing artefacts in full-channel mode, i.e. at only 1 GSa/s. But rest assured that you won’t be able to do the same in half-channel mode at 2 GSa/s, even though the true input bandwidth is 570 MHz then. Anything that goes beyond Nyquist, i.e. > 1GHz is already sufficiently attenuated so aliasing won’t be a problem.

Finally I agree: it’s always desirable if you know what you are doing. Above but also below 100 or 200 MHz.

The following users thanked this post: Martin72, Markus2801A

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2021, 09:24:06 pm »
it is not the factor of 2.0 from the textbook, but rather 2.5. This means that in today’s DSOs, 1 GSa/s is good for up to 400 Mhz.

See also here:

https://de.tek.com/document/application-note/real-time-versus-equivalent-time-sampling
(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
    • webx.dk private hobby and diy stuff
« Reply #192 on: February 25, 2021, 08:59:45 pm »
here i play with an SDS2204X
I also upgraded from originally 200MHz to 350 MHz and then again to 500 MHz,
before, and after each upgrade i performed some bw test,
and see the attached results :-) it actually works,
it even trigger and show signals over 1GHz too :-)
Radioamateur OZ2CPU, Senior EE at Prevas
EMC RF SMPS SI PCB LAYOUT and all that stuff.
youtube : oz2cpu teardown

Offline Michael YYZ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #193 on: March 14, 2021, 06:20:05 pm »
I am getting ready to pull the trigger on an SDS2104X Plus. The current promotion from Siglent includes all options (minus MSO) which, aside from AWG, I would likely never need anyway. The only one that may be enticing to me sometime in the future would be the BW upgrade.

Regarding ‘upgrading’ the scope, I’ve read this thread and the entire SDS2000X Plus thread, and I understand the following:
  • All SDS2000X Plus model variants use identical hardware;
  • There are two viable methods for ‘upgrading’: (i) via Telnet; or (ii) through generating licence keys in Python;
  • Opening up the scope to get physical access to the circuits is not necessary;
  • Firmware version 1.3.7R5 is still ‘upgradeable’;
  • Updating the firmware to future versions would not invalidate the ‘upgrades’, i.e. the ‘upgrades’ are permanent;
  • Once ‘upgraded’, the options could not be deactivated or rolled back (it would actually be possible but the method is not public);
  • However, once ‘upgraded’, the BW could be downgraded to another BW or to the original BW configuration, e.g. by using the corresponding licence key generated in Python; and
  • ’Upgrading’ the scope would void the warranty.
Is my understanding above correct? Would there be anything else to add that I should know or be aware of? Thanks.

Offline oz2cpu

• Frequent Contributor
    • webx.dk private hobby and diy stuff
« Reply #194 on: March 14, 2021, 07:57:08 pm »
if 7 is true, 8 will be false ?

or if you dial in the correct codes, it dont matter where they came from, the unit is correctly upgraded, right ?
Radioamateur OZ2CPU, Senior EE at Prevas
EMC RF SMPS SI PCB LAYOUT and all that stuff.
youtube : oz2cpu teardown

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #195 on: March 14, 2021, 08:22:43 pm »
Hi,

’Upgrading’ the scope would void the warranty.

Yes and no....  ;)

the unit is correctly upgraded, right ?

Right.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 08:24:38 pm by Martin72 »
(Kierkegaard)

Offline Michael YYZ

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #196 on: March 14, 2021, 10:16:36 pm »
Therefore... are all my eight statements true? (I understand there may be some manufacturer ‘flexibility’ on item #8.)

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #197 on: March 23, 2021, 04:58:02 pm »
Regarding ‘upgrading’ the scope, I’ve read this thread and the entire SDS2000X Plus thread, and I understand the following:
  • All SDS2000X Plus model variants use identical hardware;
  • There are two viable methods for ‘upgrading’: (i) via Telnet; or (ii) through generating licence keys in Python;
  • Opening up the scope to get physical access to the circuits is not necessary;
  • Firmware version 1.3.7R5 is still ‘upgradeable’;
  • Updating the firmware to future versions would not invalidate the ‘upgrades’, i.e. the ‘upgrades’ are permanent;
  • Once ‘upgraded’, the options could not be deactivated or rolled back (it would actually be possible but the method is not public);
  • However, once ‘upgraded’, the BW could be downgraded to another BW or to the original BW configuration, e.g. by using the corresponding licence key generated in Python; and
  • ’Upgrading’ the scope would void the warranty.

Hi,

1. Yes, except the lost of 2 additional channels on the 2-ch model
2. Yes.
3. Yes.
4. Yes, because (my thoughts on it) you type in "real" license keys as if you would get them from official side
5. Yes, unlikely the pain the rigol 5000 user gets, these "upgrades" are permanent.  8)
6. Yes and yes... ;)
7. I only know upgrading, never try to downgrade the bandwith
8. As I said before, they detect it (easily by the SN, I guess) but they claimed, the error doesn´t result from the hack, so repair under warranty is possible. In THIS case...

Martin

(Kierkegaard)

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: March 23, 2021, 05:40:20 pm »
I'm pretty sure that the bandwidth can be also downgraded with the same SCPI command that's used for upgrading (not through the menu obviously).
Removing options is said to be possible somehow, but there is no obvious way for this as for downgrading the bandwidth.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Online tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #199 on: March 23, 2021, 05:44:28 pm »
Removing options is said to be possible somehow, but there is no obvious way for this as for downgrading the bandwidth.

One has to reach this menu.

The following users thanked this post: Anik

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf