Author Topic: eBay graft  (Read 1199 times)

Online artagTopic starter

• Super Contributor
eBay graft
« on: July 25, 2024, 08:06:41 pm »
I see eBay are now selling the same item for different prices on .com and .co.uk sites.
Is this new ? It doesn't happen on every item and I don't think it's the seller's choice.

Example - an item that's listed at $39.99 on ebay.com is listed at $49.99 (and converted to £37.15) on ebay.co.uk
The same item shows postage to the UK as  $20.55 and £19.09 on ebay.co.uk

It seems as though they're applying the usual £1=$1 ripoff but doing it especially incompetently.
It could be duty but that should be part of the shipping expense, not added to the price since it's applied by the shippers. It would also apply to all items.

If you're in the UK and want to order from the US I suggest you check the price on ebay.com, potentially saving 20%.

Online wraper

• Supporter
Re: eBay graft
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2024, 08:09:35 pm »
Because UK VAT.

Offline DaJMasta

• Super Contributor
    • medpants.com
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2024, 08:40:28 pm »
There are new rules that have come out of Brexit, basically.  For a seller in the US, they actually charge extra to promote on the UK site.  I don't know if this is VAT rules, or that ebay has to operate some separate service/office/extra guarantees in the UK specifically, but I think it's on both sides and it's due to local regulations.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2024, 08:49:21 pm »
Then why is it inconsistently applied ?

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2024, 09:01:53 pm »
Then why is it inconsistently applied ?
Because I doubt you actually tried ordering to see the full price once you enter shipping address.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2024, 09:08:29 pm »
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-in-the-uk-using-online-marketplaces
Consignments valued at £135 or less
The online marketplace must charge and account for VAT at the point of sale, unless the consignment is a business to business sale and the customer has given their UK VAT registration number.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2024, 09:14:54 pm »
There are new rules that have come out of Brexit, basically.  For a seller in the US, they actually charge extra to promote on the UK site.
Has nothing to do with brexit and does not affect listing availability on a regional site if you manually enter listing number or look for items in sellers shop. It's a fee for being shown in regional search results. Usually makes more sense just to create another listing on a regional website if you need discoverability.

Offline factory

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2024, 06:19:04 pm »
There are new rules that have come out of Brexit, basically.  For a seller in the US, they actually charge extra to promote on the UK site.
Has nothing to do with brexit and does not affect listing availability on a regional site if you manually enter listing number or look for items in sellers shop. It's a fee for being shown in regional search results. Usually makes more sense just to create another listing on a regional website if you need discoverability.

Yes nothing to do with Brex-shit, online selling sites such as ePay have to collect the import tax on items below a certain value, this applies to the EU as well.
Most of the time it works better the ransom note crap, that the delivery companies did prior to this being introduced.

David
« Last Edit: July 26, 2024, 06:24:36 pm by factory »

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2024, 09:16:24 pm »
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-and-overseas-goods-sold-to-customers-in-the-uk-using-online-marketplaces
The online marketplace must charge and account for VAT at the point of sale, unless the consignment is a business to business sale and the customer has given their UK VAT registration number.

Fairly sure the price shown to consumers must be the VAT-inclusive one. Somewhere like Aliexpress always shows VAT-exclusive and applies a bump up on checkout, but since they don't have a presence in the UK they can ignore such diktats. Ebay, OTOH, has UK presence so has the play the game.

Maybe Ebay US (that is the .com rather than .co.uk) can get away with VAT-exclusive prices because it's notionally selling in the US. VAT would still be added on checkout, but the initial price shown would be less.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2024, 09:22:30 pm »

Fairly sure the price shown to consumers must be the VAT-inclusive one. Somewhere like Aliexpress always shows VAT-exclusive and applies a bump up on checkout, but since they don't have a presence in the UK they can ignore such diktats. Ebay, OTOH, has UK presence so has the play the game.

Maybe Ebay US (that is the .com rather than .co.uk) can get away with VAT-exclusive prices because it's notionally selling in the US. VAT would still be added on checkout, but the initial price shown would be less.
If you don't select UK address on ebay.com it won't show VAT inclusive price. Any inconsistencies will go away at checkout.

Online PlainName

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2024, 09:27:12 pm »

If you don't select UK address on ebay.com it won't show VAT inclusive price. Any inconsistencies will go away at checkout.

Er, yes, that is what I wrote.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 04:48:13 pm »
This has now got considerably worse, with ebay refusing to ship many items to the UK.

It's not clear to me what triggers their refusal or why they interpret UK legislation this way but seems to be something to do with UKCA marking. This is the entirely unnecessary alternative to CE marking which the now-abandoned previous government implemented in case there was anything european in it.

However, ebay are taking it completely overboard, possibly demanding everything electrical has UKCA documentation. In the item I attempted to buy, this was a logic analyser signal ground lead. I don't know whether this is stupidity on the part of ebay, or ebay trying to pressure a bureaucrat into keeping a more sensible definition.

I'm interested to know what it looks like from the seller's point of view. Have you tried to ship from USA to UK and been told not to ? Did it give any useful information  ? Have you found a workaround ?

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 06:05:08 pm »
^ebay does not refuse anything, it's up to seller to decide to where they do ship.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 06:17:53 pm »
E-Bay has some weird shipping prices for users in the UK, that make decent prices for small items from outside the UK  end up rather pricey.

A small used PCB from the US at £21.34 has a shipping cost of "£62.46 Standard Delivery from outside UK".

A small used PCB from Germany at £19.20 has a shipping cost of "£51.65 Standard Delivery from outside UK".

Online KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 06:20:01 pm »
E-Bay has some weird shipping prices for users in the UK, that make decent prices for small items from outside the UK  end up rather pricey.

That might be eBay's shipping calculator, but it also could be the seller setting prices by region.
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 08:43:23 pm »
No, it's ebay doing it.
The seller has investigated this and changed the item to another category. UK then appears in the allowed country list.
It may be that the seller chooses to some extent, but ebay appears to control the global shipping list.

If it's any help to someone else you may find that your part that has no reason be covered by CE/UKCA legislation will not have it misapplied if advertised in
"Consumer Electronics>Radio Communication>Parts & Accessories>Coax. Cables & Connectors"

Note that ebay are quite wrong to do this : if the equipment was being shipped to the EU before 1995, or if it was after 1995 and it was shipped with CE marking, then spare parts will also have been certified. Accessories may not have been marked, but will have been if they were originally shipped with the item. UKCA grandfathers everything marked CE and will continue to do so even for new goods until december 2024 (and probably forever since it would be stupid to make the certification rules different).

There is a requirement on secondhand electrical goods sold by organisations such as auction houses to perform an electrical safety test (PAT). This is not related , however, to CE or UKCA marking. Conceivably it could be applied to personal imports but it seems unlikely, and CE marking wouldn't negate it if it were.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 08:46:58 pm »

A small used PCB from the US at £21.34 has a shipping cost of "£62.46 Standard Delivery from outside UK".

A small used PCB from Germany at £19.20 has a shipping cost of "£51.65 Standard Delivery from outside UK".

Yes, this was the orignal subject of this thread. Comments earlier suggested it was due to VAT and duty being applied at source (and some other countries have also started doing this)  and this explains the different listing prices but not postage for small, light items being double the item cost.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 08:48:54 pm by artag »

Offline Hydron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: Today at 05:01:25 am »
I had a Keithley 228A refused shipping to the UK by eBay last year, seller looked into it and the best they could tell was that eBay had decided for some crazy reason that it was covered by ITAR or something similar. Might have actually been the same thing that others have found with equipment categories, insane either way.
Very annoying as the seller was happy to ship and the auction had UK in the list when I bought it (then subsequently removed it when I went to pay) and the international shipping was very reasonable on what is a pretty chunky item. Had to ship to the US office then collect in person on the way to NZ and back, used up half my luggage allowance on a single item :(.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf