Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X Plus  (Read 914206 times)

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: Siglent SDS2000X Plus
« Reply #3975 on: February 09, 2023, 07:12:03 pm »
Am I doing something wrong?? Not sure its a bug but I can't figure it out so putting it in this thread.

SDS2104X+ with V1.5.2R2 firmware (this same behavior existed on V1.3.? firmware I had prior)

Probing a serial bus that sends periodic packets, it seemed obvious that the scope was not triggering on every packet. This problem can be reproduced, for example, by setting up the AWG for a 10ms pulse every 1s. Timebase set to 10ms/div. Trigger normal mode, on rising edge, 8ns holdoff,  holdoff start on acquisition start.

When I do this I can see Trig'd LED blinks only once every 2 seconds, or every other pulse. If I set holdoff start on last trigger, It does indeed trigger every second/on every pulse. Am I missing something?

I read the manual and can't really make sense of the difference between holdoff start on acquisition start vs. last trigger, but I wouldn't expect this behavior regardless.
Typically to get rock solid basic triggering that results in reliable decoding you need first do these things:
Set trigger to Clk or CS channels
Set correct edge, normally but not always a Falling edge.
Set Trigger Holdoff to just larger than the longest byte.

Then progress to setting Decode parameters with care to set Thresholds to within each waveform
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Calvin

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
« Reply #3976 on: February 10, 2023, 02:10:45 am »
Hi,

ran into a small prob today.
Running the Bode plot function and internal awg to do a frequency response check of an +60dB lownoise amp.
Connected the awg with smallest output of 4mVpp to Ch1 and the LNA's input, and the output  of the LNA to Ch2.
Plots went really well, but I couldn't get the 'measure' menue to spit out the LF, UF and BW values of Ch2.
The manual appears to be quite clear on this point, though a bit short-worded.
I followed the steps .... 1. choose from P1-P5,  2. choose from channel (Ch2 in this case)  3. choose from function (P1-LF, P2-UF and P3-BW)  4. close the menue and start the plot.
The P's are listed together with the function, but the line below where the values should show up just puts out triple*.
Q: What would be the correct procedure to get the required values shown?

regards
Calvin
..... it builds character!

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #3977 on: February 10, 2023, 05:34:16 am »
Am I doing something wrong?? Not sure its a bug but I can't figure it out so putting it in this thread.

SDS2104X+ with V1.5.2R2 firmware (this same behavior existed on V1.3.? firmware I had prior)

Probing a serial bus that sends periodic packets, it seemed obvious that the scope was not triggering on every packet. This problem can be reproduced, for example, by setting up the AWG for a 10ms pulse every 1s. Timebase set to 10ms/div. Trigger normal mode, on rising edge, 8ns holdoff,  holdoff start on acquisition start.

When I do this I can see Trig'd LED blinks only once every 2 seconds, or every other pulse. If I set holdoff start on last trigger, It does indeed trigger every second/on every pulse. Am I missing something?

I read the manual and can't really make sense of the difference between holdoff start on acquisition start vs. last trigger, but I wouldn't expect this behavior regardless.

There is very significant difference between these two.

User Manual:

Acq Start--
The initial position of holdoff is the first time point satisfying the trigger condition.

Last Trig Time--
The initial position of holdoff is the time of the last trigger.

This last one is this conventional, usual traditional, but also "normal" trigger Hold off. Easy to use and easy to understand. This was also very important in old analog oscilloscopes. (but still very useful and important in modern oscilloscopes) And implemented in all normal oscilloscopes. Least I do not know any one what do not have this.
Modern digital scope need less this if or when user have enough knowledge and skills how to use modern oscilloscope several different trigger modes with all these parameters. One good (and extremely simple) example is AM modulation where some peoples still use trigger Holdoff for stabilize it for modulating frequency. Today there is lot of better solutions what lead lot of better result including also normal case when modulating frequency is variable. Old foxes just need to learn new ways.

But back to this special Holdoff mode: "Acq Start"

It works well in many circumstances, but then your example is one where it doesn't work well - or least can be confusing. First I think there is one small bug that can be seen using your example but it is not so simple.... When I test it with burst signals (many edges in one acquisition) it seems to work ok. But if your example has one pulse per acquisition memory length, it "looks like" won't work correctly. At least it is easy to think it's wrong, but....

In your example, the first time point that meets the trigger condition is the rising edge of a single pulse. But due to the hold time, this edge trigger condition met condition is now ignored. And then 8ns (in your example) passed. And then the NEXT rising edge happens after one second. Now it will trigger because the hold time has expired. Now this trigger sequence is also complete and reset for the next trigger hold. The next pulse start hold timer and trigger will not occur until it has expired. It follows that only every other pulse can time the trigger cycle. (and every other trigger condition is met, covered by a delete timer).

But is it right or wrong. If, in our opinion, it is incorrect, such trigger delay process shall be reset after this current acquisition end without the next trigger condition being met during this acquisition period.
What will happen if it do this. Well, in your example case, it never trig. Because only one trigger condition met exist in this acquisition for the entire length and this first one is covered due to the Holdoff timer). If this happen then user may be even more confused.
A bit hard to explain without principle illustrations due to my poor English.

Should the oscilloscope display a warning text that there is only one triggering condition in the signal with the length of one sample memory. That the next condition did not occur until the next frame. Grin.

If think carefully and understand how it work, this what happen is just logical but may be confusing in some cases.
Perhaps it need explain much better in the User Manual or make better UI with good on screen illustrations how it works (We do not have full "User Reference manual" where is every detail deeply and exactly explained).
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 05:54:37 am by rf-loop »
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline Amphion

• Contributor
« Reply #3978 on: February 10, 2023, 08:20:25 am »

In your example, the first time point that meets the trigger condition is the rising edge of a single pulse. But due to the hold time, this edge trigger condition met condition is now ignored. And then 8ns (in your example) passed. And then the NEXT rising edge happens after one second. Now it will trigger because the hold time has expired. Now this trigger sequence is also complete and reset for the next trigger hold. The next pulse start hold timer and trigger will not occur until it has expired. It follows that only every other pulse can time the trigger cycle. (and every other trigger condition is met, covered by a delete timer).

Thanks @rf-loop. This helps/is the explanation I was looking for. Perhaps your english isn't the best, but this is a helpful understanding that I was not getting from the manual.  :) I kept thinking/confused: whats the difference between acquisition start and last trigger??  Acquisition starts with a trigger!! The next acquisition should start with my trigger condition right??

Perhaps the use of the word acquisition was throwing me off, because I assume an acquisition to be what I see on the screen. My screen is 100mS long in the example, so 8nS is well expired, and I expect the next pulse to meet the condition to trigger. But in this case of the Siglent scope "acquisition start" is the NEXT acquisition, defined as when the basic trigger condition is met. It then applies the hold time, but if no other trigger condition is met after the holdoff, this "acquisition" is not valid/displayed.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 08:22:00 am by Amphion »

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3979 on: February 10, 2023, 11:00:08 am »

Thanks @rf-loop. This helps/is the explanation I was looking for. Perhaps your english isn't the best, but this is a helpful understanding that I was not getting from the manual.  :) I kept thinking/confused: whats the difference between acquisition start and last trigger??  Acquisition starts with a trigger!! The next acquisition should start with my trigger condition right??

Perhaps the use of the word acquisition was throwing me off, because I assume an acquisition to be what I see on the screen. My screen is 100mS long in the example, so 8nS is well expired, and I expect the next pulse to meet the condition to trigger. But in this case of the Siglent scope "acquisition start" is the NEXT acquisition, defined as when the basic trigger condition is met. It then applies the hold time, but if no other trigger condition is met after the holdoff, this "acquisition" is not valid/displayed.

Yes this is bit confusing with terminology.
Acq Start--
The initial position of holdoff is the first time point satisfying the trigger condition.

Usually, if not think deeply how digital oscilloscope works, user think acquisition start from left side of screen when whole acquisition length is displayed.
And if user think this, then it do not work at all as user may expect. Due to this "Acq Start" thinking...
But here Holdoff timer start from first point where trigger condition is true and as long as timer is running trigger engine output (trig) is inhibited.

If you run some pulse burst signals what have example 5 pulses 2ms high 2ms low, and then say example 500ms pause.
Now set example 5ms or 10ms/div. With normal trigger you see 5 pulses. Trig is just first rising edge.
After then set Holdoff "Acq Start--" mode and start carefully adjust this Holdoff time from minimum to bit over 2ms.... then continue bit over 4ms and so on and look where it trig. (it looks like trig Nth edge but it is not based to edges count, it based only to time, elapsed from first point when trigger condition true)
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline Calvin

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
« Reply #3980 on: February 16, 2023, 04:35:36 am »
Hi,

does no one actually have an A to my Q from #3977? The sdsplus has undergone so much testing and reviewing, that I can't believe this point would have gone missed.
How can one measure (or activate the 'measure' function) LF UF and BW doing a bode plot/amplitude response of an amplifier?

kindly
Calvin

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3981 on: February 16, 2023, 09:20:34 am »
Hi,

does no one actually have an A to my Q from #3977? The sdsplus has undergone so much testing and reviewing, that I can't believe this point would have gone missed.
How can one measure (or activate the 'measure' function) LF UF and BW doing a bode plot/amplitude response of an amplifier?

kindly
Calvin

Here is one example how it works. Very simple LP and HP (RC) filters cascaded.
SDS2104X Plus
FW 1.5.2R2

Here I have used only 7 points/decade for also demonstrate how it interpolate between sample points for measurement. As can see LF -3dB point is between data point 7 and 8. But naturally interpolation here is only imagined truth. For more accuracy, use enough data points.
For bit more speed I have also turned AGC off (and adjusted suitable levels for Ref In and for DUT In. (Two channel method with amplitude offset but freq. tracking without offset. SDG1000X), for get pass band top for 0dB -- only just for fun.
SDG Ch1 to oscilloscope Ch1  and SDG Ch2 to DUT in and DUT out to oscilloscope Ch2)

Note: Amplitude Mode need be Vout/Vin. Unfortunately, at least for now, it doesn't work in Vout mode. It only works in Vout/Vin mode.
Also there need be enough room before LF and after UF.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 09:30:50 am by rf-loop »

Offline Calvin

• Regular Contributor
    • Calvin´s audio page
« Reply #3982 on: February 17, 2023, 01:05:18 am »
Hi,

Thanks alot. Vout/Vin did the job.
I was quite shure though I had checked with Vout/Vin setting before wo success.

regrads
Calvin

Offline luoming870

« Reply #3983 on: February 19, 2023, 11:21:46 am »
Whoever can crack the scrolling mode will automatically change the storage depth to 2M.

Online Mahagam

• Contributor
« Reply #3984 on: February 22, 2023, 11:42:51 am »
Can someone explain to me the difference between "Count Limit" and "AIM Limit" ?
Siglent user manual say nothing about this. Teledyne user manual is also silent.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3985 on: February 22, 2023, 02:24:26 pm »
Can someone explain to me the difference between "Count Limit" and "AIM Limit" ?
Siglent user manual say nothing about this. Teledyne user manual is also silent.

https://www.siglenteu.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2022/05/SDS2000X_HD_UserManual_EN01A.pdf

Page 174...

The following users thanked this post: Mahagam

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #3986 on: February 22, 2023, 08:56:04 pm »
Hi,
A colleague showed me an interesting thing today.
He measured 16Khz at a test point, the measurement parameter at the bottom and the counter at the top right showed 16khz.
But then he changed the test point and measured 3.66Mhz(expected value) - But the counter shows 16Khz.
When changing, before touching the test point, the counter was "zero".
Any ideas?
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Online cte

• Contributor
« Reply #3987 on: February 22, 2023, 09:25:06 pm »
@Martin72

From my experience the upper frequency counter is somewhat dependent on proper triggering. And the trigger in your screenshot is set to HF rejection (HFR).

I just tested with the internal AWG at 3.68 MHz an trigger set to HFR and get about 50 Hz at the top display and the correct 3.68 MHz at the lower display. With triggering set to AC, DC or LFR both counters display the correct value.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #3988 on: February 22, 2023, 09:50:16 pm »
Ah,
Didn´t saw this, could be the solution, thank you.
And ah, the second, now I know what he´s talking about, he had problems to trigger the signal.
He used the scope for the very first time (senior EE in retirement) and otherwise found it good, only the trigger.... :D
Will have a look on it tomorrow, normally he musn´t use the HFR.
Today I got the "permission" to order scope 4-6.... 8)
(Kierkegaard)

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3989 on: February 24, 2023, 08:28:34 pm »
Is the time-base on these user tweakable?

Mine appears to be a little out of spec (of by 19Hz @ 10MHz = 1.9ppm).  It's not really a big deal, but if I can tweak it to match everything else I have it would be  :-+ :-+
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline gejianyong

• Contributor
    • EEVblog Electronics Community Forum
« Reply #3990 on: March 08, 2023, 01:12:48 pm »
Hello, my oscilloscope model is SDS2034. The serial number calculated by this program cannot be used. Is there a program that can be used for the SDS2000 model

Offline gejianyong

• Contributor
« Reply #3991 on: March 08, 2023, 01:15:54 pm »
Hello, my oscilloscope model is SDS2034. The serial number calculated by this program cannot be used. Is there a program that can be used for the SDS2000 model

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #3992 on: March 08, 2023, 02:45:52 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

There is no such model.
Exactly what are your requirements ?

If yours is a model before X series here are threads you need study:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000-new-v2-firmware/
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-hack/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline gejianyong

• Contributor
« Reply #3993 on: March 10, 2023, 03:24:36 pm »
Thank you very much for your reply. I believe that the old version without X has been upgraded to v2 version, but the serial number calculated by using the crack software with X is not correct

Offline gejianyong

• Contributor
« Reply #3994 on: March 10, 2023, 03:33:20 pm »
I want to turn on the decoding and signal generator functions of this oscilloscope to get the correct accessory serial number

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #3995 on: March 15, 2023, 09:34:45 pm »
Number 4, 5 and 6 arrived... ;) 8)

(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, 2N3055, Markus2801A

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3996 on: March 15, 2023, 09:59:39 pm »
Number 4, 5 and 6 arrived... ;) 8)

Will you be replacing Rob?  :-//

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #3997 on: March 15, 2023, 10:06:49 pm »
No, it´s only for working, not reselling.
(Kierkegaard)

Offline TakeItApart

« Reply #3998 on: March 19, 2023, 12:12:44 am »
I saw a joke earlier in this thread about screen protectors and bubbles. Just received my scope from Saelig and I removed the screen film installed at the factory that had a red tab and said remove before use. However, my screen seems to have another film installed on it and in this one I have bubbles.

Is there a second protective film that needs to be removed or do I have an issue with my screen?

See photos. Scope is brand new just opened.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #3999 on: March 19, 2023, 12:23:37 am »
Hi,
Actually, there is only a protective film... ???
In our last week newly arrived scopes was also only one folie present, after peeling off the screens look normal, without residues. :-//
(Kierkegaard)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf