Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X-HD Specific Questions  (Read 647 times)

Offline KowolskiTopic starter

Siglent SDS2000X-HD Specific Questions
« on: June 04, 2024, 04:19:36 am »
Hi Folks,

Newbie here, though I've been sitting on the sidelines and watching and learning for a short while. It's been great... though I've needed aspirin after a few late nights :) - and I seem to walk around all day hearing Dave's voice in my head  :palm: (what a legend he is)

I'm about to buy a Siglent SDS2000X-HD. I need some of the fruit too (protocol bundle opt, power analysis opt, Logic analyser opt & cable etc). I was wondering if anyone could help with the following questions to help me decide what to actually buy:

1 - Is the SDS2000X-HD hackable to upgrade bandwidth and options? I've seen the thread on the SDS2000X-Plus's been hackable but couldn't find if this applies to the three models in the SDS2000X-HD series?

2 - Is my understanding correct that the SDS2104X-HD, SDS2204X-HD, and SDS2354X-HD are all exactly the same inside, its just software licenses are required to unlock options and additional bandwidth?

Answers will be a huge help for me as it might allow me to just buy the SDS2104X-HD and LA cable rather than the unlock licenses and bandwidth upgrade as well (I'm stretching to the limit to get this box).

Thanks in advance!

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X-HD Specific Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2024, 04:56:38 am »
The HD uses a different license scheme than the 2000X+ and others so the readily available Python scripts does not work. As far as I know it HAS been hacked/upgraded so it IS possible (of course) but the information on how to do it has not been made public, at least not here on the forum.

The hardware is exactly the same as far as I'm aware.
After all, you can purchase 100MHz to 500MHz upgrade license and that wouldn't really work if the hardware was different.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2024, 04:59:43 am »
Welcome to the forum.

1. Not with the public script.
2. Yes, you can see these listed on the US website under optional accessories:
https://siglentna.com/digital-oscilloscopes/sds2000x-hd-digital-storage-oscilloscope/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2024, 05:38:56 am »
Thanks for that so far. Makes sense.

Is there anyway to get the non public solution? I assume I can get PM's in here. If anyone sees this and can shed light via PM or any other way how to hack the upgrade I'd be huuugely grateful.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2024, 03:14:42 pm »
Buy the scope with the current promotion bundle that includes the logic probe - the bundle costs less than the logic probe does on its own.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2024, 05:47:43 pm »
as far as I've seen, the 2104 is not available anymore. only the 200 and 350MHz.
except if you find a good deal for the 2104 go for the 200MHz version
with the current bundle promotion, it's quite a steal. you get almost all the options for the price of one.(except the bandwith)
then the hack is not really necessary anymore it's already a great scope even without the hack
and may be the hack will become public one day.

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2024, 02:53:40 am »
On review, without being able to do the hack on the SDS2104X-HD with the options it's is outside my budget unfortunately.

Sooo... Two last questions...

1 - As an alternative, are the SDS2104X-Plus, SDS 2204X-Plus and the SDS2354X-Plus hardware the same?

2 - My thinking is buy the SDS2104X-Plus with the fruit, then open the bandwidth and licenses per the known method. Am I missing anything here (other than I may need to buy higher bandwidth probes). Just want to make sure there isn't a reason to buy the 2204 or 2354 from the get go.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2024, 02:58:25 am »
The hack is available, and will not likely ever be public for the HD series. That doesn't mean you can't do it. It means you will need to ask somebody nicely for help in private.

AFAIK, every currently active series from Siglent has identical hardware, and the only limitations are based on licensing. SDS2000X Plus, all the same. SDS2000X HD, all the same. SDS800X HD, all the same. etc. etc. There might be probe differences in some situations, but I would rather spend that money on Probe Master probes anyway.

I don't know if the higher speed 7000A series is going to have the same hardware as the 3/4GHz models, but we can't afford that so it doesn't matter.
"I installed a skylight in my apartment yesterday... The people who live above me are furious." - Steven Wright

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2024, 03:05:30 am »
On review, without being able to do the hack on the SDS2104X-HD with the options it's is outside my budget unfortunately.

Sooo... Two last questions...

1 - As an alternative, are the SDS2104X-Plus, SDS 2204X-Plus and the SDS2354X-Plus hardware the same?

2 - My thinking is buy the SDS2104X-Plus with the fruit, then open the bandwidth and licenses per the known method. Am I missing anything here (other than I may need to buy higher bandwidth probes). Just want to make sure there isn't a reason to buy the 2204 or 2354 from the get go.

Thanks everyone for your help.
SDS2000X Plus is still a cost effective choice.

It offers a 10bit mode to 100 MHz (all models) and 50 MHz inbuilt AWG for which the option bundle provides permanent licensing.
It is a touch wider than the 1k/2kX HD series and doesn't offer the full memory management features SDS2000X HD does.
Otherwise it's so very similar to use.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2024, 03:11:49 am »
The hack is available, and will not likely ever be public for the HD series. That doesn't mean you can't do it. It means you will need to ask somebody nicely for help in private.

AFAIK, every currently active series from Siglent has identical hardware, and the only limitations are based on licensing. SDS2000X Plus, all the same. SDS2000X HD, all the same. SDS800X HD, all the same. etc. etc. There might be probe differences in some situations, but I would rather spend that money on Probe Master probes anyway.

I don't know if the higher speed 7000A series is going to have the same hardware as the 3/4GHz models, but we can't afford that so it doesn't matter.
FYI, SDS2kX HD is supplied with 500 MHz probes and for all model ranges above.
Probes supplied with each model are listed here:
https://siglentna.com/wp-content/uploads/dlm_uploads/2022/08/Probe_List_008102022.pdf
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2024, 03:28:19 am »
Thanks guys. I'm probably too new in here to give anyone confidence to share the HD hack via PM, but hoping that might happen (PM's welcome). I obviously would respect that any shared information provided to me would end with me and not be something I would ever on share etc. I respect the code of the sight if you know what I mean.

Otherwise I'll run with the 2104X-Plus and use the published solution for that.

Thanks for the tip on the ProbeMaster probes too.

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh, axantas

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf