Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X HD, 12bit, 2GSa/s high definition oscilloscope serie.  (Read 344736 times)

Offline hansibull

• Regular Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X HD, 12bit, 2GSa/s high definition oscilloscope serie.
« Reply #775 on: November 10, 2023, 12:22:58 pm »
The SDS2000X HD is perfectly suitable on a VESA PC screen mount!

I've attached the STL file if anyone has a printer that can print a 250 mm wide part.
I printed the part in PETG.

You'll need:
4x countersunk M4 screws for the VESA mount (I used 20mm long screws)
5x M3x12 screws (in four of the five holes there is room for longer screws. However the last hole (in the center of the back side) isn't all that deep)
5x 3x9 washers
« Last Edit: November 13, 2023, 07:02:00 am by hansibull »

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #776 on: November 10, 2023, 10:22:59 pm »
I've attached the STL file

404 Attachement not found...
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline hansibull

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #777 on: November 13, 2023, 01:32:03 pm »
404 Attachment not found...

I have no idea why the file was removed. I've reuploaded it, so please try again.

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #778 on: November 13, 2023, 10:19:43 pm »
Thank you !  :-+
(And now I can open the first pic too)
(Kierkegaard)

Offline hansibull

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #779 on: November 14, 2023, 12:23:31 pm »
I'm trying to trigger on a continuous data stream where the start of the first data packet has a unique pattern, where I can use zone triggering to capture each start.
I would like to know how many packets are being sent each second. Is there a way to count how many times the scope triggers per second, or per unit of time (since last reset, etc.)?

Offline hansibull

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #780 on: November 14, 2023, 02:39:05 pm »
Connecting the Trigger Out to an input and letting the scope's dedicated counter count these pulses

Thanks for the tip! I tried this, but unfortunately, I'm getting a frequency between 700Hz and 1.2kHz regardless depending on the timebase.
I'm reading an SPDIF signal, so I'd expect 44.1k or 48k packages each second.
I might have to capture a large chunk of data and see if I can figure out how to find the start frames among all the rising and falling edges.

The SPDIF signal is Manchester encoded, which this scope can decode. However, I haven't been successful in decoding it. There are lots of decoder settings I'd have to get right, And even if I do, I'm not sure it will be able to decode it, as the SPDIF signal looks like a continuous stream of data.

The background for this analysis is that some certain TVs and soundbars don't accept the SPDIF signal coming out of the WS8804 chip (I2S to SPDIF, 24-bit stereo), even when the I2S input signal is digitally synthesized by a DSP I can control (1 kHz sinewave). The PCM9211 on the other hand works perfectly fine with these devices. When looking at the datasheets, I can't find _any_ reason why these chips would be any different when they get the exact same I2S input signal. It would be really cool to use the scope to decode both SPDIF streams to see how they differ when a known test signal is being sent.

Offline hansibull

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #781 on: November 14, 2023, 04:10:39 pm »
Or could it be that the zone trigger slows things down so much?

No, I don't think so. I'm getting more or less the same trigger output regardless. I'll look at the acquisition mode.

Is there a dedicated "Manchester trigger" you could use alternatively?

The scope has Manchester encoding, and I have this option enabled. However, I haven't been able to get it to decode. It involves a lot more setup (bps, header size, word size, etc.) compared to protocols such as I2S, I2C, and UART.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #782 on: November 14, 2023, 05:32:45 pm »
Or could it be that the zone trigger slows things down so much?

No, I don't think so. I'm getting more or less the same trigger output regardless. I'll look at the acquisition mode.

Is there a dedicated "Manchester trigger" you could use alternatively?

The scope has Manchester encoding, and I have this option enabled. However, I haven't been able to get it to decode. It involves a lot more setup (bps, header size, word size, etc.) compared to protocols such as I2S, I2C, and UART.

You can always use Segmented mode, it skips processing and assures minimum retrigger time...

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #783 on: November 15, 2023, 10:52:21 am »
You can always use Segmented mode, it skips processing and assures minimum retrigger time...

You were faster, as usual 😉

I had this idea already and even set up a little demonstration. For this I’m generating a train of pulse packets. 40 pulses per packet, pulse period is 20.8 µs -> 48.077 kHz;

Even though convenient, Zone Trigger is a last resort in my book, as long as there are other more powerful triggers available. In my case, I’ve used a pulse trigger, and it looks like the OP could use this just as well – or also an interval trigger.

This is what my signal looks like.

SDS2504X HD_Pulse_packet

If we want to measure trigger rates, we need to ensure the DSO to be as fast as possible. So the first measure is to select a timebase, where we get about 1 kpts record length (i.e. approximately the screen width). Then we start a sequence recording with maximum segments – when done, we enter History mode.

Now we can display the History List and look at the first and the last record:

SDS2504X HD_SEQ80000_TF-first

SDS2504X HD_SEQ80000_TF-last

Now we need a pocket calculator (or a spreadsheet):

Total acquisition time = 54.146116 s – 52.482138 s = 1.663978 s

Time per Trigger event = 1.663978 s / 80000 segments = 20.799725 µs; -> the original 20.8 µs;

Trigger rate = 1 / 20,799725 µs = 48.07755872 kHz;

« Last Edit: November 15, 2023, 12:08:35 pm by Performa01 »

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, 2N3055

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #784 on: November 15, 2023, 12:40:12 pm »

You were faster, as usual 😉

That is only because, as usual, your answer is more comprehensive and detailed. And that takes time.  :-+

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, KungFuJosh

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #785 on: November 15, 2023, 12:49:13 pm »
If we want to measure trigger rates, we need to ensure the DSO to be as fast as possible. So the first measure is to select a timebase, where we get about 1 kpts record length (i.e. approximately the screen width). Then we start a sequence recording with maximum segments – when done, we enter History mode.

Thanks for walking us through this, Performa01. With a view to the SDS2104X+ which I just ordered as my Christmas present, I would like to better understand the acquisition modes and their limitations.

It's clear that Sequence mode gives the fastest trigger re-arming, because no data processing and display happens during the acquisition. But is there a way to estimate the waveform update rates which can be obtained without Sequence mode? E.g. in hansibull's present application, if we also select 1 kPts per capture, and of course switch off any math or decoders -- should the scope be able to keep up with the 48 kHz packet rate?

Is there a fixed time overhead for rendering one capture on the display, or an overhead time per acquired point, which could be used to quantitatively estimate the update rate? Beyond serving the display, do any additional overhead times need to be considered (in non-sequenced mode)?

I hope you will be happy with your new scope.

Unfortunately, there is no fixed formula nor fixed overhead.
Since scope is running history buffers in background, layout of memory changes as we go through timebases.
When buffer sizes are smaller, there is more of them. Also, there is actually sizably more memory for history buffers that specified sampling memory. Then there are measurements, screen, digital channels.

I know RF-loop did publish comprehensive measurements of SDS1104X-E. I don't seem to remember if there was such table for 2000X+ published. I don't have the scope so cannot measure it myself.

The following users thanked this post: ebastler

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #786 on: November 15, 2023, 07:12:07 pm »

I know RF-loop did publish comprehensive measurements of SDS1104X-E. I don't seem to remember if there was such table for 2000X+ published. I don't have the scope so cannot measure it myself.

I have not published it "officially" because work is not finished - unfortunately. And now I do not have this model anymore available so I do not know if or when I can finish it. (Nota: both tables have Preliminary status. Also tiny changes may be possible due to FW updates and or HW updates)

But this may give some imagination how it goes.

Here is small part of this test. (Normal acq. mode.)

And here need note: wfm/s speed is not at all constant.
There is acquisition burst and then pause and then next acquisition burst..
And between these bursts there is much more long pause than between acquistions inside burst. And during this pause. oscilloscope is "blind"
So, if there happen trigger met event frequently these events are loosed what happen inside this pause. (as also inside normal blind time between acquisitions inside burst.. so there is two different blind times... example if there is fast repeating serial data packages, or other important events, these ones what happen inside blind time is lost and this pause between bursts is quite long

Here below is image about this normal acquisition burst. Image is from other oscilloscope what listen SDS2000X Plus trig out signal.
SDS2000X-Plus is in this case 50ns/div, 1Ch active, display mode dots. No measurements.
As can imagine when look this... in this case one TFT frame have near 4000 acquisitions so dots mode looks like continuous line if think how it looks like in SDS2000X Plus screen. (not displayed here)

Note in image "cursors" A and B are measurement Gate (inside this gate window it count these pulses) 
When wfm/s speed is less... still there is this gap between bursts... but less acquisitions in burst.
Then this pause is not constant. Measurements and other things may increase this blind gap.
(example in this this image this gap between bursts is roughly 3ms. This gap length is same as several hundreds of acquisitions with this speed in image).

In Sequence mode, there can be up to 90000 segments and there is not this pause inside one sequence. But also this speed of course depends how many channels active, memory length and t/div. (Interpolation etc things do not affect. In this mode it do only pure ADC data acquisition to memory.

[Image]
(Image removed at least for now due to possible error in data (old obsolete version or mistake in test. Can not check because I have not this model now)

Sequence mode maximum guaranteed(1) speed
(1) Shortly explained in image.
Note 2 in image. This Sinc effect is not cross test confirmed. This is preliminary and test was stopped because I do not have anymore this model) But then also, there is no need to use faster than 50ns/div in Sequence mode - it do not give any real advantage and looking segments these can full window zoom in if need when use these segments.

ETA: Because I answer message in this thread what is originally for SDS2000X HD .... perhaps this can move to SDS2000X Plus thread.

And yes, weird Sinc affect here >> under investigation.
The SDS2000X HD does not act like this.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2023, 03:27:48 pm by rf-loop »
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: tautech, ebastler, 2N3055, wolfy007, Martin72

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #787 on: November 16, 2023, 10:06:22 am »
It's clear that Sequence mode gives the fastest trigger re-arming, because no data processing and display happens during the acquisition. But is there a way to estimate the waveform update rates which can be obtained without Sequence mode? E.g. in hansibull's present application, if we also select 1 kPts per capture, and of course switch off any math or decoders -- should the scope be able to keep up with the 48 kHz packet rate?
It depends on so many things, I’m not aware of any formula to estimate the maximum trigger rate. There are only rules of thumb.

While irrelevant at slower time bases, sin(x)/x reconstruction or x-interpolation respectively do play a role as soon as the record length approaches the screen width (or gets even shorter). For highest trigger rates at 50 ns/div and below, dots mode is to be used – which isn’t a bad choice in many cases anyway, since it also avoids any reconstruction errors and always provides a true picture of the waveform – as long as the triggering still works okay, that is. If you’ve studied the bandwidth & aliasing application note I’ve once linked to, you should know this already and have gotten lots of demos for this.

While we can get over 100k waveforms per second at 50 ns/div in dots mode with edge trigger, my test only yielded a ~41k trigger rate when using the pulse trigger under these conditions. So it just isn’t enough for the application presented by hansibull.

Is there a fixed time overhead for rendering one capture on the display, or an overhead time per acquired point, which could be used to quantitatively estimate the update rate? Beyond serving the display, do any additional overhead times need to be considered (in non-sequenced mode)?
The trigger re-arming is constant and fast for the simple edge trigger, at about 2 µs. For more advanced triggers and all the more so for Zone trigger, there is additional overhead from the complex trigger handling.

On time bases >50 ns/div, very little reconstruction is required, hence the time will just increase with increasing amount of data, as expected – and in Sequence mode our expectations will be met somehow. In normal display mode, we have to handle intensity grading. This is simple as long as the record length does not exceed the screen width, because we don’t need to use counters for every single acquisition. If the amount of data increases, a lot of samples might be mapped to a single dot on the screen, even for a single record. This requires quite some processing power – and time.

We generally tend to forget that all data is mapped to the screen and the intensity or color grading has to be processed at this point too. It certainly makes a difference if we just transfer the data to the screen and forget it, or have to maintain a bunch of counters instead and then finally calculate the correct intensity for every single dot. Of course, there is HW support for this task, but since there isn’t a dedicated GPU, it still takes a little time.

At time bases 50 ns/div and faster, the rendering in vector mode takes quite some additional time – and the intensity grading has to be calculated for all the additional dots on top of that.

What's up with the non-monotonous time depency in normal mode, at the fast timebase settings? I would have expected things to get monotonously slower as the time base is slowed down and more data points per capture have to be processed. Is is understood what is driving the observed waveform capture rates, with maxima at 5 ns/div and 50 ns/div?
I hope my explanations above give you an idea already. The sudden need for counters above 50 ns/dev to manage intensity grading alone should explain a lot…

A possibly stupid question: What does Sinc interpolation in dot mode mean or do? Your data show that it affects the acquisition rate massively at the fast time bases. I would have expected that Sinc interpolation only comes into play in line mode?!
Sinc reconstruction as well as X-interpolation do nothing with regard to screen rendering in dots mode, but Sinc is still required for determining the exact trigger point. So this is some additional processing time at fast time bases.

I strongly suspect that the numbers acquired be rf-loop might be outdated. Some time ago, there have been several bugs in Siglent’s DPO engine, particularly in the SDS2000X Plus. These should be long fixed and I do not expect to see a difference between Sinc and X in dots mode anymore. And maybe we get a better performance today overall.

I will try to do some measurements with the current firmware, but will publish it in the correct thread – did you notice that this one is for the SDS2000X HD exclusively?

The fact that all modes (dots vs. lines, Sinc vs. linear) get the same performance for the slower time bases, from 500 ns/div upwards, is probably due to the fact that the scope decides not to do any interpolation, since the dot density is high enough anyway?
The answer should be obvious now: mostly yes! ;)

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, 2N3055, Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #788 on: November 17, 2023, 08:12:07 pm »
did you notice that this one is for the SDS2000X HD exclusively?

That's why the table for the HD was posted in the plus thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds2000x-plus-coming/msg5173875/#msg5173875
I'll continue this here... ;)
I am far from understanding why things are the way they seem to be, so my question is rather simple:
Is this a bug that can be fixed or an unsightly issue that is inherent to the principle...
(Kierkegaard)

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #789 on: November 18, 2023, 05:00:37 pm »
A few months ago, the question arose as to whether my Logic probes would fit well in the slot, i.e. whether they would click into place.
This was not the case with the question and with me too, so we were satisfied and the issue was settled.
Now I have the 2104Xplus at home until Monday and had just connected the Logic probes and lo and behold:
They fit in perfectly, including the snap-in (clearly audible "click").
Just for your information.
(Kierkegaard)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #790 on: November 19, 2023, 04:01:36 pm »
Here some examples about measured wfm/s with SDS2504X HD

These all example values are valid only with same setup and same signals exactly.
Measurements done using HP53131A counter (average wfm/s) and some values also with other oscilloscope connected to oscilloscope Trig Out.
All data are rounded down.

Note that in test where is Ch1 and Ch2 both are on there is both channels vertically zero position (as is scope default)and both channels signals are equal but adjusted carefully for 180 degree phase shift!

Then there is some example values when Ch1 and Ch2 without any signal. Channels traces (straight lines) are perfectly overlaid and zero position offset. (This wfm/s speed affect due to vertical position on screen (not if only single channel in use) need further investigations and cross checks, but effect is strong. This effect is not displayed in this table.)  It is quite complex thing if try really look and test all about wfm/s speeds. Partially it feels that everything affects everything much more and more complicated than one would simply think. One thing what makes it complex is intensity gradation... inside one acquisition samples collision and then naturally using many sequential acquisitions overlaid intensity generation.

Input setting in all tests are 50ohm and 100mV/div.

BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, Martin72

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #791 on: November 20, 2023, 08:45:31 am »
Here's an excerpt of my latest measurements.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 10:12:52 am by Performa01 »

The following users thanked this post: ebastler, Martin72

• Super Contributor
« Reply #792 on: November 20, 2023, 11:13:34 am »
As said in SDS2000X Plus thread.
Siglent oscilloscope itself can also use for look current true wfm/s speed without any extra tools. But this method is not as  fast as looking just trig out using other oscilloscope or this kind of counter what is specially suitable for this purpose.

But how to do if want look it for some unknown purpose but do not have this kind of counter or suitable second oscilloscope.

Just set scope to normal run using setup and signal what wfm/s speed you want to check.
Without signal Auto Trig (Edge) it can reach maximum "up to" speed. Without signal adjust trigger level bit off so that it do not try trig to any noise etc peaks.
This is bit time consuming method but give primary truth and without extra instruments.

After scope is running enough time for fill enough data to History buffer then push History directly or stop and then open history.
(for enough accuracy if there is enough bursts just look total time and how many segment intervals and turn HP67 on and ask wfm/s)
Or you can find one burst. Pause positions you can find perhaps more easy changing List for Delta T display.
(sad that there is lack of  tools for analyze History buffer... but lets hope Santa Claus in some year give these tools to us.)

Leftmost time table is copypaste from other image from same case.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2023, 05:27:09 pm by rf-loop »

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, 2N3055, Martin72

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #793 on: December 03, 2023, 12:07:08 pm »
Alternative Zoom

Not every owner of the SDS2000X series MSO might be aware that there are at least two ways to do a zoom while the acquisition is still running.

We might be tempted to expect wonders from a 12 bit scope, yet even without zoom the screen offers space for 9 bits already. The maximum zoom factor for 12 bits is thus somewhere around 8x and even at this moderate zoom level, noise might already get very visible. Then there are situations where we want even more zoom…

Now let’s explore the two possibilities on an SDS2000X HD:

1. Zoom Window
This should be familiar to everyone. We have a staircase waveform in the small main window and the tiny rectangle around 0.1 µs marks the zoom area, where we want to observe the overshoot. The zoom window is set to 5 mV/div vertical gain, which corresponds to a 20x zoom with regard to the 100 mV/div main window.

SDS2504X HD_Stair_Zoom_Avg128

We can see the zoomed waveform detail quite clearly, despite the 20x vertical zoom. The secret is in the Average acquisition mode, which kills the noise and enhances the resolution to 16 bits at the same time – without affecting the bandwidth.

2. Math trace

This is a method that can be used even on the SDS2000X Plus, which doesn’t have the Average acquisition mode. All that's needed is a math channel that performs the averaging:

SDS2504X HD_Stair_Math_Avg64

Each math trace has its own Vertical settings, so it can also be used as a zoom trace. Of course, the drawback of this method is the lack of a separate time base, hence I had to horizontally zoom into the waveform with the main time base and we don’t see an overview of the signal anymore.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2023, 12:08:40 pm by Performa01 »

The following users thanked this post: kripton2035, 2N3055, Martin72, core

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #794 on: December 07, 2023, 10:21:56 pm »
Hi,

I am currently measuring the bandwidth of my HD, thanks to very good instructions from Performa01:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/bandwidth-limit-on-siglent-sds2000x-plus-oscilloscope/msg5208711/#msg5208711
At first it looked a bit "wild", as the settings of my R&S SML01 were not yet optimal.
Now they are "too optimal", sweeping now takes hours....
I have to find a happy medium, but this was the first time I used the sweep.
The recording is still running, but looks very good.
Pictures to follow.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 10:42:25 pm by Martin72 »
(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #795 on: December 07, 2023, 10:50:16 pm »
Good professor + Good equipment = Good result  :-+

Now that you have the procedure you can sweep all the stuff you have.  :)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #796 on: December 07, 2023, 11:13:53 pm »
Absolutely, It opens up new possibilities and if you are lucky enough to have competent people like Performa01 in the forum... :-+

I stopped it at 900Mhz, I didn't want to wait any longer.
But the long sweep also has its advantages, it looks very good.
And a bandwidth of 585Mhz is really impressive, in my opinion anyway. :D
The first attempt still looked strange, as the generator settings were not optimal.
But I will try to find a compromise between faster and still usable.
Oh, this is simply a beautiful scope.

(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, tv84

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #797 on: December 08, 2023, 09:09:36 am »
I’ve tried to find the optimal settings for the SDG7102A for a single pass with the SDS2000X HD.

Up to now, I’ve used (and recommended) a 300 seconds sweep, because this yielded a result pretty quickly and as mentioned before, by waiting for some more time, the trace gets cleaner with each pass.

Now I’ve tried the following settings for the generator:

Sweep time: 600.000 000 s
Start Hold Time: 0.000 000 s
End Hold Time: 0.000 000 s
Back Time: 0.000 000 s

This instrument doesn’t allow to set a dwell time – most likely because of the super fine frequency resolution down to the µHz, which allows it to do a quasi-continuous sweep. The frequency step is solely defined by the FFT. In any case, it does not matter what signal source is used, as long as it is accurate and covers the frequency range – and can do sweeps, of course.

Here’s what I got after a single sweep (10 minutes):

SDS2504X_HD_FR_600s

The trace is a little bit bumpy, because quite obviously the output impedance of the AWG is not ideal. So I have added a high quality 10 dB inline attenuator directly at the generator output and compensated the loss by setting the AWG output to +10 dBm (a single 600 sec. pass again):

SDS2504X_HD_FR_600s_10dB

Now that the impedance mismatch is fixed, the trace looks very smooth but also reveals that my early production sample of the SDS2000X HD doesn’t perform equally well as what Martin72 has shown. The -3dB bandwidth has dropped down to 563 MHz on my instrument and the  flatness up to 420 MHz has not been nearly as good from the outset.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #798 on: December 08, 2023, 09:33:31 am »
Now that the impedance mismatch is fixed, the trace looks very smooth but also reveals that my early production sample of the SDS2000X HD doesn’t perform equally well as what Martin72 has shown. The -3dB bandwidth has dropped down to 563 MHz on my instrument and the  flatness up to 420 MHz has not been nearly as good from the outset.

And you are sure the difference isn't created by you taking the "fast track" in relation to the long methid used by Martin? Or the gen quality?

(I'll accept any answer. :) )

• Super Contributor
« Reply #799 on: December 08, 2023, 11:54:55 am »
As @Performa01 also here early production SDS2504X HD.
600s step sweep  0dBm 5MHz to 1GHz  using old Hewlett-Packard 8642B

Just directly from gen out to Scope 50ohm in (80cm (λ/4 ~62MHz)  Suhner N-BNC  M17/084-RG223)
(not perfect match as can see)

I have not used attenuator between cable and oscilloscope input so oscilloscope input reactance produce also its effects...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 12:24:17 pm by rf-loop »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf