Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X HD, 12bit, 2GSa/s high definition oscilloscope serie.  (Read 336870 times)

Offline rf-loopTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
Re: Siglent SDS2000X HD, 12bit, 2GSa/s high definition oscilloscope serie.
« Reply #175 on: July 07, 2022, 03:37:53 pm »
Something is now very weird.

You can turn internal Wavegen OFF and it stay off when you use Bode with external SDG1000X.
Bode do not turn it on if you have selected USB or LAN connection instead of Internal in Bode Config.

Also, when Bode is selected and running or in stop mode you can  save screen images to USB or if you have also connected your computer to oscilloscope then you can takew screen shots using compuer.

Just tested and screen shots to USB stick works normally when Bode is on, running or stopped.

Also tested USB connection with SDG1000X  and it is just "plug and play". Connect cable and run. No need even touch to SDG1000X (except power button)
Also if you have selected what ever waveform etc in SDG1000X, bode plot start do its own setup (but itcontrol only Channel 1)
If you want use 2 generator channel connection for Bode you need set SDG1000X to tracking mode. For very special purposes there can also use Channel Coupling (with Freg, Ampl,  Phase deviation) method if need channels amplitude or frequency offset for bode.

Perhaps we need SDS2000X HD training thread where we can read manuals and also do some usage guidance and advice for some using cases.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 03:48:56 pm by rf-loop »
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #176 on: July 07, 2022, 03:46:57 pm »
Firmware is 1.2.0.0

Test says ok, when turning on bode plot, internal awg button lit (and remains litting when you exit bode)
See attached "real" pics, in bode mode you can´t make screenshots (Bug imho).

Very unusual. Can you provide the HW and CPLD/FPGA versions as well?

I desperately try to reproduce your problem to no avail. I can also make screenshots whenever I like, see attached images.
Never mind the last screenshot, I had Bode Plot running without anything connected to the scope :)

So you either have a different HW where the FW doesn't work properly, or there is some initialization failure.

As an emergency measure, please try the following:
  • Restart the DSO
  • Recall the factory default settings
  • Restart the DSO once again
  • Try Bode Plot Setup from scratch once again

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: July 07, 2022, 04:11:57 pm »
I think also this:

When Bode on, Martin can not take screen shots to USB? Very weird.
External generator is in USB bus. When set it for Bode and start, Internal WG turns on... if I understood right?
Internal Genearator SAG1021 is also controlled via USB (internally)

...hmmmhhh...

As Performa01 said.

Reset everything and start from this.
Then do nothing! But connect SDG via USB.
Turn Bode on and not start! Configuration: select just connection USB, test, if OK, start Bode run and look if it initialize SDG1000X
If it still initialize Internal so that Bode turning Wavegen button light on...  something is wrong. It need now know how it go... before more.

BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #178 on: July 07, 2022, 04:15:23 pm »
Hi,

When set it for Bode and start, Internal WG turns on... if I understood right?

Yepp.

Back at home again, will try the default things.

"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #179 on: July 07, 2022, 04:17:27 pm »
Firmware is 1.2.0.0

Test says ok, when turning on bode plot, internal awg button lit (and remains litting when you exit bode)
See attached "real" pics, in bode mode you can´t make screenshots (Bug imho).
With Print or from within the Save/Recall menu ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #180 on: July 07, 2022, 04:26:24 pm »
There might be another pitfall which prevents you from taking a screenshot of the configuration dialog, which in turn makes you think "Print" (or "Save" as in the SDS2000X HD) does not work in Bode mode.

Look at the attached screenshot. Make sure that you set "Include Menu" to "Yes" in the Utility-Save/Recall menu. This is essential for the documentation of settings and bug reports.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: July 07, 2022, 04:34:54 pm »
and more

Save button can work just as Print button what save screenshot to USB.

BUT

It need of course first configure for this if not allready done.

Go to Utility menu. There select 3rd from top what is "Save Button"
Then in Save Button setup slect Type  "Screen Shot"

When start using new instrument it is best to first do all configurations for own use... theree is many things...

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #182 on: July 07, 2022, 04:42:50 pm »
Hi,

Now it works and I did.....Nothing except switching everything on again after returning to home.
Test says OK like before but this time the external awg will be activated like expected.
The only thing I´ve done was to change the usb-cable from backside to the front.
After this works, back to back like before - and still it works...
Strange....let´s see if I can recreate the former situation somehow.
Ah and now saving screenshots works too.
Actually there´s only one thing left, the old thing:
When turning off bode analyzer, awg stays on (output).
(Kierkegaard)

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #183 on: July 07, 2022, 04:45:31 pm »
and more

Save button can work just as Print button what save screenshot to USB.

BUT

It need of course first configure for this if not allready done.

Go to Utility menu. There select 3rd from top what is "Save Button"
Then in Save Button setup slect Type  "Screen Shot"

When start using new instrument it is best to first do all configurations for own use... theree is many things...

Yes, except when I last looked the "Screen Shot" functionality was the default, so there shouldn't be any need to set it after a factory reset, whereas the inclusion of menus in a screenshot is set to "off" by default.

Still it is good advice to double check these settings, if only because defaults might change anytime...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 04:50:52 pm by Performa01 »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: July 07, 2022, 04:46:50 pm »
There might be another pitfall which prevents you from taking a screenshot of the configuration dialog, which in turn makes you think "Print" (or "Save" as in the SDS2000X HD) does not work in Bode mode.

Look at the attached screenshot. Make sure that you set "Include Menu" to "Yes" in the Utility-Save/Recall menu. This is essential for the documentation of settings and bug reports.
And the plainly annoying fact that Siglent believe Hide Menu screenshots needs be a Default setting !
Sometimes I wonder how to have them listen to us……it’s the same with Menu up times…..was just 5s now 10s after I bitched about this and Default default settings are annoying too, why not have 1V/Div and say 500us/Div, settings far more convenient for compensating probes.

For many of the beta testers the firmware installs are not such a thing but when you have half a shipment of scopes that all need updating the state in which the new firmware leaves them does matter !

/rant
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 09:44:09 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #185 on: July 07, 2022, 04:48:23 pm »
Hi,

Now it works and I did.....Nothing except switching everything on again after returning to home.
Test says OK like before but this time the external awg will be activated like expected.
The only thing I´ve done was to change the usb-cable from backside to the front.
Strange....let´s see if I can recreate the former situation somehow.
Ah and now saving screenshots works too.

I guess you didn't leave your scope running while you where away? So can we say that a restart cured the problem?

I'm predicting, you'll be never seeing this problem again - until maybe after the next FW update  >:D

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #186 on: July 07, 2022, 04:53:18 pm »
So can we say that a restart cured the problem?

Actually...Yes...
Weird thing. 8)
(Kierkegaard)

• Super Contributor
« Reply #187 on: July 07, 2022, 05:00:17 pm »

My opinion is that it is good thing. But I will not write now a novel for argumenting why I like it is so.

Note that you can also look Time domain signal when bode is on. Then uou can also stop Bode when ever and generator keep its last state.. when you do lot of manual settings example for Channel Gain HOLD mode... perhaps you start like it keep generator as it was when you stop.

But then there is also thing(s) what is very cumbersome. One is: You need turn whole Bode OFF before you can do any adjust to oscilloscope channels. And recovery from Bode to normal osciolloscope takes time... some times it leads to some dirty words...   So, If think to use Ch Gain HOLD mode, try set channels for Bode all ok before even open whole Bode.

But we are now in 1.2.0.0
Things can develop...

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #188 on: July 07, 2022, 05:10:13 pm »
And recovery from Bode to normal osciolloscope takes time... some times it leads to some dirty words...

Oh yes....Watching the sand-clock, watching the status in percent..... :P Needs some polish if possible.
Same when choosing PA

Ah btw, here a quick shot from the recreating bode like in the sds2000X+ thread..

What I don´t like when saving pics:
A confirmation appears when its done - As known and its good.
But you have to close the message manually.... ???

Martin
(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #189 on: July 07, 2022, 05:13:35 pm »

Hmm...  and also second hmm...  is this something or is this nothing...  is it possible that there was some weird state in USB (enumeration) system.

It still feels very weird that previously you have selected USB for external SDG (also test tell connection ok (but if truie connection was Internal if there was some mess in USB controlling system) and then you start Bode and it do not initialize external generator but it command internal.. least turn it button light on. (If I understood right your previous explanations)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #190 on: July 07, 2022, 05:14:56 pm »

Martin
Oh yes this. Someone forgot to auto hide that !  :horse:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #191 on: July 07, 2022, 05:18:46 pm »

Yes. I believe that Santa's elves are doing a lot of work before Christmas.

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #192 on: July 07, 2022, 05:19:22 pm »
and then you start Bode and it do not initialize external generator but it command internal.. least turn it button light on. (If I understood right your previous explanations)

Yeah and it´s anger me a little bit, I didn´t make a vid from...

Apart from this from all - Did I tell that I like the look and feel of the scope a lot ? ;D

A pity, my cam and/or the light are too bad...
(Kierkegaard)

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #193 on: July 07, 2022, 05:20:12 pm »

And the plainly annoying fact that Siglent believe Hide Menu needs be a Default setting !
Sometimes I wonder how to have them listen to us……it’s the same with Menu up times…..was just 5s now 10s after I bitched about this and Default default settings are annoying too, why not have 1V/Div and say 500us/Div, settings far more convenient for compensating probes.

For many of the beta testers the firmware installs are not such a thing but when you have half a shipment of scopes that all need updating the state in which the new firmware leaves them does matter !

/rant

Well, it depends. Of course, for me, after the introduction of that feature (excluding menus) my first thought was "WTF!", but then I realized that maybe the majority of users actually just want to print out the waveform and measurement results and not bother with menus that they need to hide before taking a screenshot.

The same goes for auto hide menus. If you don't like it, then disable it. But if it comes disabled per default, you might not even be aware that this feature exists. Few people do RTFM these days - and then, the manual is not always fully up to date anyway.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 05:32:05 pm by Performa01 »

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #194 on: July 07, 2022, 05:45:27 pm »
And recovery from Bode to normal osciolloscope takes time... some times it leads to some dirty words...

Oh yes....Watching the sand-clock, watching the status in percent..... :P Needs some polish if possible.
Same when choosing PA

Ah btw, here a quick shot from the recreating bode like in the sds2000X+ thread..

Martin

Nice Plots. You will probably see a deeper notch if you use more points in the Plot.

Best,
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #195 on: July 07, 2022, 09:45:33 pm »

Yes. I believe that Santa's elves are doing a lot of work before Christmas.
I hope you do not stop there.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #196 on: July 07, 2022, 09:51:26 pm »

And the plainly annoying fact that Siglent believe Hide Menu needs be a Default setting !

/rant

Well, it depends. Of course, for me, after the introduction of that feature (excluding menus) my first thought was "WTF!", but then I realized that maybe the majority of users actually just want to print out the waveform and measurement results and not bother with menus that they need to hide before taking a screenshot.

The same goes for auto hide menus. If you don't like it, then disable it. But if it comes disabled per default, you might not even be aware that this feature exists. Few people do RTFM these days - and then, the manual is not always fully up to date anyway.
Woosh, sorry it flew over your head. Not saying you can't understand so we'll take it to the Siglent forum where I hope some proper engagement can be had to explore where some of the default settings are so wrong.....
Check the General Discussion area as this applies to most product series in one manner or another.
Gimme a bit to write it all up.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #197 on: July 08, 2022, 09:00:34 am »
Here some example about testing some (not so good) 455kHz IF filter.

For this kind of filter, dynamic range with Channel Gain Hold mode is well enough.

Horizontal scale 5kHz/div
CH4 is just only for display noise level (it also increase sweep time)
ALC Off (Channel Gain: Hold)
It can see that dynamic range is enough for this (presumably CFWLB455KJFA-B0 or clone) ("W55I-1")

All same as in previous image except now ALC On (Channel Gain: Auto)
As can see dynamic range is now much more and  this "toy" filter do not need at all this whole dynamic range what is now available. So.. turn ALC Off and save time (but first set manually right V/div).

ETA: Addendum.

Here we go to (below 0dBm) dynamic range limits.  So do not believe it can do some magics and miracles, all have limits in real world. Still result is amazing in this device class. Just normal oscilloscope Bode Plot.

the picture tells...

« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 05:53:05 pm by rf-loop »

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #198 on: July 08, 2022, 04:40:24 pm »
Few people do RTFM these days - and then, the manual is not always fully up to date anyway.

I´m one of them.. 8)
I hate pdf-documents, love to hold a "book" in the hands ...
(Kierkegaard)

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #199 on: July 08, 2022, 09:29:35 pm »

I know it´s nonsense, but I did a little pcb for the notchfilter.. ;D
10pcs, 2-layer/groundplane....5$....for this insane price you can do nonsense. ;)

Next I will try out are the differences this scope got in comparison to my former favorite sds2k+.
For example the memory management, this "fixed thing".

Martin

(Kierkegaard)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf