Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000X HD, 12bit, 2GSa/s high definition oscilloscope serie.  (Read 366167 times)

Offline Grandchuck

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS2000X HD, 12bit, 2GSa/s high definition oscilloscope serie.
« Reply #1275 on: September 28, 2024, 12:11:44 pm »
My BNCs seem to have chamfers.
I have had a probe failure ... picture attached.  It was replaced under warranty.  The replacement is better (SP3050A).  The original SP5050As do not seem to be available as replacement parts.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1276 on: September 28, 2024, 12:37:23 pm »
Here's my 2000X HD next to a few others (damn that 6680B needs some cleaning):

2385393-0

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1277 on: September 28, 2024, 12:55:50 pm »
I noticed some bad contacts with the BNC plugs on my scope. After investigating this a little further it seems the BNC plug quality isn't what it should be.

(Attachment Link)

I feel that Temperance has a point.

Before using my SDS2000X HD, I had never noticed any issues with BNC contacts. However, as soon as I started using the SDS2000X HD, I noticed some high-frequency glitches that could only be avoided by using specific BNC cables. Since I hadn’t observed this issue with the SDS2000X+ at work, and no one on the forums mentioned it, I assumed it was a problem with the quality of my BNC cables.

After discovering this post, I tried using my phone camera to check whether the metal edges of the SDS2000X HD’s BNC connectors had chamfers or burrs. Honestly, I couldn’t tell. But I did notice a lot of debris inside the BNC socket, while my other instruments, which I’ve used for over 20 years, seems a bit cleaner than the SDS2000X HD. I think this is worth investigating.

The following photos are of an Audio System One and an Agilent 54622D, both over 20 years old, and a one-year-old SDS2000X HD. The older instruments have been constantly exposed without a dust cover or a BNC plug inserted when not in use.

Since 2N3055 showed a picture of his SDS2000X HD's BNC, which looks like new, I’ve decided to take down my pictures and observe for a while.

That is very interesting. I bought this cable previous week:
https://www.cinch.com/products/rf-microwave/cable-assemblies/cable-assembly/415-0028-024

It doesn't make contact at all on all four channels on the SDS 2K X HD. It does work on a Tek and R&S. And that's how I came to investigate this further. And indeed I noticed some glitches with my probes for some time now.
Please check that cable with the 3 rear BNC's.

The rear ones do work but I notice those are different and of better quality. With the front BCN's, the spring loaded center pin assembly is pretty loose in all directions while the rear BNC's clamp the center assembly firmly. (I don't have better words to describe that)

Meanwhile daylight arrived and I made a better picture of the front BNC. (Not visible in this picture: unlike channel three there are no iron shavings in this plug. Just some minor dust.) The BNC's on my scope look different from the one shown in the picture posted by 2N3055.
Thanks.

Can you indicate what other than the Siglent supplied probes have been used with this DSO please.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Some stuff seen @ Siglent HQ cannot be shared.

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1278 on: September 28, 2024, 01:34:32 pm »
1. https://testec.de/en/products/high-voltage-probes.html

They work fine.

2. Cinch cable: https://www.cinch.com/products/rf-microwave/cable-assemblies/cable-assembly/415-0028-024

Doesn't work on all four channels. But does work on the rear BNC's of the SDS2K HD and any other equipment.

3. Tek P6139B

They work fine an all channels.

4. The original probes. SP5050A. The gold plating is mostly gone and the center pins are black from oxidation protruding trough the remaining gold plating.

I viewed them under a microscope. They don't look good but they can be cleaned. I don't have a camera to take proper pictures of the center pin assembly.

5. Micsig CP1003B

Works fine.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Online Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1279 on: September 28, 2024, 02:04:17 pm »

Am I the only one wondering why Rigol apparently fits 75 ohm BNC sockets in a scope that is supposed to have 50 ohm inputs?

Maybe a clever move - this way any 50 ohm BNC plug is a very tight fit and contact problems are avoided - until the BNC socket gets worn out...

The following users thanked this post: Martin72, Bad_Driver

Offline Sorama

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1280 on: September 28, 2024, 02:18:58 pm »
(How the hell did Performa01 see that   |O )
« Last Edit: September 28, 2024, 02:21:44 pm by Sorama »

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1281 on: September 28, 2024, 02:28:32 pm »

Am I the only one wondering why Rigol apparently fits 75 ohm BNC sockets in a scope that is supposed to have 50 ohm inputs?

Maybe a clever move - this way any 50 ohm BNC plug is a very tight fit and contact problems are avoided - until the BNC socket gets worn out...

From what I know female 75 ohm BNC connector will have much smaller diameter dielectric or even no dialectric at all. The ones in my image all look  pretty much the same to me in that regard. Why do you think they are 75ohm?

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1282 on: September 28, 2024, 02:39:59 pm »
BNC socket from my SDS3104X HD, it has four instead of three slots in the inner contact.
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1283 on: September 28, 2024, 02:47:00 pm »
BNC socket from my SDS3104X HD, it has four instead of three slots in the inner contact.

""Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."

Online Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1284 on: September 28, 2024, 02:53:51 pm »
From what I know female 75 ohm BNC connector will have much smaller diameter dielectric or even no dialectric at all. The ones in my image all look  pretty much the same to me in that regard. Why do you think they are 75ohm?

Okay, then it's just the perspective. The opening for the center pin looks considerably smaller by comparison. That's why I wrote "apparently".

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1285 on: September 28, 2024, 03:11:42 pm »
(How the hell did Performa01 see that   |O )

With his impedance binoculars which now also support impedance measurements on pictures after the firmware has been upgraded.

I wish I had binoculars like that. Too expensive for me however.

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1286 on: September 28, 2024, 03:16:27 pm »

Okay, then it's just the perspective. The opening for the center pin looks considerably smaller by comparison. That's why I wrote "apparently".
It's probably mostly due to the perspective of the image but you are also right, the "Rigol BNC" in the image (Ch2 in this case) actually IS a bit "tighter" than the others.
A 1.1mm drill bit fits sort of snuggly while the same drill bit is quite a bit looser in the connectors on the other instruments. But it's also quite loose in Channel 1 on the Rigol so I don't know... Anyway, the dialectric diameter is the same on all of them which makes me think they are all 50ohm.

The following users thanked this post: Performa01

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #1287 on: September 28, 2024, 03:29:14 pm »

I assume that the jacks are different because the 3000X HD has active probe support, like the larger and more expensive models, and they've simply used their jacks/board for it.
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline Bad_Driver

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1288 on: September 28, 2024, 05:06:55 pm »
It is hard to make a good macro photo, congratulations to Martin!
Here my picture, you can clearly see that it is a 4-leaf-core on my 2000HD.

„Everything must be made as simple as possible. But not simpler.”
― Albert Einstein

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Martin72

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1289 on: September 28, 2024, 06:01:49 pm »
It is hard to make a good macro photo, congratulations to Martin!
Here my picture, you can clearly see that it is a 4-leaf-core on my 2000HD.

There must be a reason why they have been replaced in later models.

Nice picture, thank you.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2024, 06:13:27 pm by temperance »

Offline gamalot

• Super Contributor
  • Correct my English
    • Youtube
« Reply #1290 on: September 28, 2024, 07:05:54 pm »
Here is a picture of the BNC connector on the SDS804X HD I bought in July.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, temperance, Martin72, Bad_Driver

Offline temperance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1291 on: September 29, 2024, 03:36:50 am »
Here is a picture of the BNC connector on the SDS804X HD I bought in July.

Those look much better than the ones on my scope. What is interesting is that my SDG2 series function generator has BNC connectors with four properly chamfered spring contacts like those shown. Moreover, the BNC cable mentioned earlier which doesn't make good contact on scope works fine on the generator.

The good news. Siglent has a three year warranty policy.

Offline XYZVector

• Contributor
« Reply #1292 on: September 29, 2024, 03:41:07 pm »
There are not any sources for the 2104x-hd that are reputable so I am going to get the 1104x-hd and buy the external siglent signal gen in the manual it will control the sgd like it is built in. Plus I get a more capable signal gen with this route. It is still cheaper than the sds2104x-hd. I am still doing research, hate to buy an expensive bit of kit and it fails to serve my needs. I have an analog discovery that can do bode plots but it is not all that great especially when working with higher frequency switching converters.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1293 on: September 29, 2024, 06:34:23 pm »
There are not any sources for the 2104x-hd that are reputable so I am going to get the 1104x-hd and buy the external siglent signal gen in the manual it will control the sgd like it is built in. Plus I get a more capable signal gen with this route. It is still cheaper than the sds2104x-hd. I am still doing research, hate to buy an expensive bit of kit and it fails to serve my needs. I have an analog discovery that can do bode plots but it is not all that great especially when working with higher frequency switching converters.

The 1000X-HD series is a fine choice. I trust that you are aware of the other differences vs. the 2000X-HD?
  • The logic analyzer is an external module in the 1000X-HD series, which implies some restrictions in mixed signal analysis.
  • The 2000X-HD series has two A/D converters with 2 GSa/s each, so it can sample two channels at that maximum rate, or four channels at 10 1 GSa/s. The 1000X-HD series has half the sampling rate in those cases since it shares its single ADC between all channels.
  • Some other specs are better in the 2000 series. Most notably the time base accuracy: 2 ppm vs. 25 ppm in the 1000 series.
  • And while the screen has the same physical resolution, the 1000X-HD series cannot drive the pixels fully independently and groups vertical pairs of pixels together when showing traces.
These differences may be irrelevant to you, making the 1000X-HD the right choice. Just want to make sure you make an informed decision.

Edit: Fixed a typo. 2 GSa/s / 2 = 1 GSa/s, not 10...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2024, 05:38:22 am by ebastler »

The following users thanked this post: KungFuJosh, Bad_Driver

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #1294 on: September 29, 2024, 06:55:49 pm »
the 2000x-hd also have the zone trigger capability, that the 1000x-hd doesn't have.
although it's a feature I did not use very often, I find it very interesting to have in a modern scope.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2024, 06:57:48 pm by kripton2035 »

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1295 on: September 29, 2024, 06:59:11 pm »
The other option to consider is the SDS2000X Plus. It has the 2000 level features (though only 2 math channels) and is the same price as the 1000X HD.
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

Offline XYZVector

• Contributor
« Reply #1296 on: September 30, 2024, 09:49:21 pm »
Yes I am aware of these limitations, my use case is debugging analog switching supplies, some analog signal integrity (less than 10khz). Some digital decodes. And FFT on single channel. I do have a trigger out to trigger my external logic analyzer so yes it will not be as good as the 2000 but I can live with that.

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1297 on: October 01, 2024, 10:39:48 pm »
Oh, really? ;)
I was wondering what LP, BP, HP meant...
Joking aside, try setting the lowpass to a cutoff frequency of 1kHz (filtering out a 400Hz sine wave from a 10kHz PWM).
I couldn't do it with Rigol models, nor with the digital filter package for our new Lecroys, nor with an SDS2000X HD.

I think you mean HP to block the low frequency, but the LF Reject (HP) and HF Reject (LP) coupling modes don't make a lot of sense to me. They preset the values, but I think they should be a variable option. The SDS2000X HD datasheet says:

Trigger Coupling:

C1-C4:
LFRJ: Attenuates the frequency components below 1.17 MHz
HFRJ: Attenuates the frequency components above 660 kHz

EXT:
LFRJ: Attenuates the frequency components below 7.5 kHz
HFRJ: Attenuates the frequency components above 250 kHz

Can somebody please put in a feature request to make it possible to change trigger coupling frequency values? Or is that not possible?

Thanks,
Josh
"Right now I’m having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I’ve forgotten this before." - Steven Wright

Offline KungFuJosh

• Super Contributor
  • TEAS is real.
« Reply #1298 on: October 01, 2024, 11:17:13 pm »
Why does the Math filter function limit itself to 20MHz as the lowest filter frequency?

I was able to use the Math function to filter the unwanted sinewaves out, but it requires them being above and below 20MHz (or higher), and it's not terribly pretty on the higher frequencies.

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1299 on: October 01, 2024, 11:48:30 pm »
Hello,

with the setting in the tp.png image, you can set the low-pass filter to a minimum of 20 kHz. The PWM cannot be demodulate with this setting.
The SDS3000X HD is used.
The Micsig MHO3 is far ahead with a minimum of 30 Hz.

Best regards
egonotto

« Last Edit: October 02, 2024, 12:52:36 am by egonotto »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf