Author Topic: Siglent SDS2000 new V2 Firmware  (Read 101439 times)

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
  • YouTuber Nerd - I Fix Stuff
    • The Defpom's Channel
Re: Siglent SDS2000 new V2 Firmware
« Reply #225 on: July 19, 2016, 08:47:15 am »
And a bit more info, that glitching is happening at any timebase faster than 500us, IE 200us, 100us 50us, 20us, 10us etc.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Online tautechTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #226 on: July 19, 2016, 09:02:47 am »
And a bit more info, that glitching is happening at any timebase faster than 500us, IE 200us, 100us 50us, 20us, 10us etc.
@ what memory depth?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #227 on: July 19, 2016, 09:27:00 am »
At 1.4M anything under 500us glitches, at 7M for anything under 200us (glitches), at 14M anything under 100us glitches.
Cheers Scott

Check out my Electronics Repair, Mailbag, or Review Videos at https://www.youtube.com/TheDefpom

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #228 on: July 22, 2016, 09:58:47 pm »
I’ve tried to replicate the issues reported by TheDefpom and here are my findings:

Bug: Bus Decoding doesn’t follow timebase changes while trigger state is “Ready”
Changing the timebase while the scope is not stopped and the trigger is ‘Ready’ does indeed redraw the traces, but not the (parallel) bus decoding. We do not recognize this on a continuously triggered signal, as the decoding will fit the timebase on the next valid trigger. It also works as it should in Stop mode. A minor bug in my book, but a bug nonetheless.

Bug: Channel height setting is not preserved in Zoom mode
When entering Zoom mode, the digital Channel Height is always automatically set to “Middle”, no matter what it has been set before. We can change Channel Height back to “Low” while in Zoom mode and it stays that way after returning to normal mode.
However, I did not observe any mismatch between legend and traces after altering the Channel Height on an SDS2kX series scope, so this phenomenon must be specific to the SDS2k firmware.
As far as the X-series is concerned, this is again not a show-stopper, but for that matter:

Bug: Channel Height menu items
The Channel Height Menu offers three settings: Low, Middle High.
First of all, I would change “Middle” to “Medium”, since we’re talking about a height and not a position here.
Secondly, I think the assignment is wrong. If we select “Low”, we get high traces, and we get tiny ones if we switch to “High”. That’s counter-intuitive.

Flaw: Roll Mode with digital channels
Now for the time bases slower than 20ms/div. This scope has the habit to automatically switch to roll mode for time bases of 50ms/div or slower. In some cases this is handy, in most others it is rather annoying. Roll mode is not a triggered operation, so it’s all the more funny that the scope changes trigger to analog channel 1 and starts showing the yellow trigger level indicator when it enters roll mode of all things.
At the same time, digital channels are turned off. This should be okay, as probably not many of us urgently want to watch digital signals in slow untriggered roll mode anyway. The cure is simple: just switch the scope back to y-t mode and the digital channels as well as the trigger will be back to how it was before. The scope now stays in y-t mode until next time we cross the 20-50ms/div border, which is indeed a bit annoying. Since roll mode doesn’t work with digital channels anyway, it should be permanently disabled as long as digital channels are active.

As a side note, with firmware P38.7 roll mode only works as described in the manual (and as we are used to it) when in auto trigger mode. In normal or single trigger mode, roll mode is actually triggered. This might be useful for some rare applications and that’s why I’m willing to look at it as a feature rather than a bug, but this behavior has to be documented in the user manual.

Bug: Exiting Roll mode switches trigger to Auto
This is clearly a bug and I’ve reported this already.

? Disabling individual digital channels
I could not replicate that on an X-series scope. So maybe once again an SDS2k specific issue?

? Glitches
I cannot replicate any of the glitch issues. When looking at the screenshots, e.g. in Reply #223, I don’t see anything unexpected. A fundamental rule for getting a stable picture on a scope is finding a stable trigger condition that is unique within one acquisition. However, this data pattern has no such unambiguous trigger condition. Triggering on D0 will give the worst possible result, as the trigger condition is met several dozen times within the signal packet. Triggering on D2 should already give significantly better results and the best approach would be a pattern trigger on D0 AND D2 HIGH, but even this is not unique, as it appears again right after the D0 burst. So depending on the timebase, this might still lead to unstable triggering and consequently various superimposed traces from different acquisitions.
So either find another signal for the trigger, that clearly indicates the start of the signal packet, or use single trigger mode in the first place, even when the signal packet is repetitive.

I could not find a situation where the memory size was changed by the scope itself, other than that it’s currently not capable to utilize the full memory depth with digital channels, so the maximum is limited to 14/28Mpts (normal/interleaved) in this situation.

Since it all comes down to a proper trigger condition, I also weren’t able to replicate glitches at certain timebase and/or memory depth settings. I don’t think this should come as an surprise, as the actual memory depth used for a single acquisition at e.g. 100µs/div on digital channels is just 700kPts. So with this timebase it does not matter what memory depth is configured, as long as it’s more than 700k. With digital channels enabled, the scope doesn’t support history, so in contrast to using analog channels only, we have here the rather unique situation where the scope actually uses less memory than what is set in the Acquire menu.
My only explanation would be that despite all that, the configured memory depth still affects the timing somehow, maybe the trigger re-arm time. Since the trigger rate and phase relative to the input signal packets will have a huge impact on trigger stability with ambiguous trigger conditions, this could explain why some combinations appear more stable than others.

The following users thanked this post: rf-loop, tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #229 on: July 22, 2016, 10:18:34 pm »
? Disabling individual digital channels
I could not replicate that on an X-series scope. So maybe once again an SDS2k specific issue?
Not entirely.

If rebooted neither SDS2k or X would retain Digital settings.
This is of some hinderance for a project that is ongoing so this has been reported too.

While there maybe a work around by saving a "setup" I've yet to attempt this and IMO the scope should retain last settings......it does for analog, so this needs a fix.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

The following users thanked this post: Tsippaduida

Offline Performa01

• Super Contributor
« Reply #230 on: July 23, 2016, 01:45:13 am »
You're right of course - after a reboot the entire channel group is enabled again. Didn't check this, because from the original information:

I also noticed that even though I had turned off lines D5, D6, D7, somehow they got turned back on again, I didn't notice when.

... I just didn't think of rebooting the scope.

Well, at least the scope does remember which channel groups are in use. As far as I'm concerned, even if a certain project doesn't require all 8 channels of a group, I can't be bothered to turn the unused ones off in the first place. so this is a really minor bug in my book, that I might have never noticed without the discussion here. ;)

Offline 9a4wy

• Contributor
« Reply #231 on: September 08, 2016, 12:34:47 pm »
another one probably... :(
If you save CH1 to reference trace, scope shows progressively saving bar, but I don't know where is the REF trace saved... :D
If you try to recall REF trace scope is asking USB stick... ;D ;D
Kristian

• Super Contributor
« Reply #232 on: September 09, 2016, 11:04:40 am »
another one probably... :(
If you save CH1 to reference trace, scope shows progressively saving bar, but I don't know where is the REF trace saved... :D
I've not got a SDS2000 now only a 2kX series and it works fine in it to USB.
Confusion arises because the first option in the Save type is Setup, which by default saves to internal flash unless USB is selected.
On my 2kX when Reference is selected for save only USB is offered as the destination and it automatically asks for a USB stick to be inserted if one is not connected.

If you try to recall REF trace scope is asking USB stick... ;D ;D
Yes, as above it only saves Ref waveforms to USB.
Be sure to select Reference and not Setup when saving the waveform initially.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #233 on: November 23, 2016, 06:01:15 pm »
New FW versions for SDS2000 and SDS2000X
http://www.siglentamerica.com/gjjrj.aspx?id=15

Sample from changelog:

1. Optimized the FFT
  a) The maximum number of FFT points was increased from 1.4k to 16k
  b) Flattop window was added
  c) The UI was optimized
2. Optimized the hardware frequency counter. The precision at low frequency was improved
3. Optimized the Autoset function
4. Optimized the efficiency on the LAN port
5. Fixed some bugs
  a) The abnormal display of digital channels in some cases
  b) The IIC decoded results don’t follow the zoom change
  c) AC/HFR trigger broken
  d) UART decoding broken in previous 1.2.2.x version
  e) …
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline TheDefpom

• Frequent Contributor
    • The Defpom's Channel
« Reply #234 on: November 23, 2016, 08:33:03 pm »
Thanks, I have installed the update and am just looking through it now, I see they looked at some of the issues I raised in my bug reports, good to see this happen.

I can confirm that the frequency display is now almost perfect, out by 2 of least significant digit (i.e. 10.0002 KHz for a 10.0000 signal, or 10.0002MHz for a 10.0000MHz signal), still this is a LOT better than it was, making the frequency display actually usable now.

I will report back on other testing as I get to it.
Cheers Scott

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Tsippaduida

• Contributor
« Reply #235 on: May 29, 2017, 06:57:09 pm »
I just wanted to thank you all for this rather lengthy thread.

I bought SDS2104X after rather long weighing on my options for fist own oscilloscope. I ended up getting this as a) don't have enough funds to buy a "proper" scope, like Iwatsu or Keysight etc. with similar specs. b)  I did look for used scopes, but here the second hand market is quite small and I did not find anything comparable (I wanted 4 channels and 100 MHz as analog bw). c) There is local representative giving excellent support, he even checks out each equipment  d) Local representative means I can return the equipment for maintenance at lower cost.

So far for my modest needs the oscilloscope has worked rather well. Thanks to you all, I learn immense amounts about scopes inner workings, limitations and workarounds.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #236 on: May 29, 2017, 08:37:27 pm »
Welcome to the forum.

Your experience looking for a scope mirrors a recent customer of mine, the SDS2000X is good value in its class.
Quite possibly your supplier is also well known member here.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline 9a4wy

• Contributor
« Reply #237 on: May 30, 2017, 09:31:42 am »
new FW...1.2.2.2
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Finally bigger letters/numbers for us, over 45, in the measure menu  ;D
k

Offline gman76

• Contributor
« Reply #238 on: January 03, 2021, 01:05:39 am »
Tautech, can you provide a link to the latest FW for the SGS2000 (not SDS2000X)?  I have 1.2.2.1R9.
Why doesn't Siglent provide old fw versions on their website?

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #239 on: January 03, 2021, 01:08:47 am »
SGS ???
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

Offline gman76

• Contributor
« Reply #240 on: January 03, 2021, 01:19:07 am »
Sorry, SDS2000.  Not SGS.

I see a lot of posts about 1.2.2.2 but is that for the SDS2000X?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 01:21:42 am by gman76 »

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #241 on: January 03, 2021, 01:25:36 am »
You can get FW even for the SDS1000, but SDS2000 seems to be "banned" from their site...
"Comparison is the end of happiness and the beginning of dissatisfaction."
(Kierkegaard)
Siglent SDS800X HD Deep Review

• Super Contributor
« Reply #242 on: January 03, 2021, 01:28:58 am »
Tautech, can you provide a link to the latest FW for the SGS2000 (not SDS2000X)?  I have 1.2.2.1R9.
AFAIK 1R9 is the last version I have when I look at my FW archives. The file date is 16 April 2018.
But maybe not, I see an earlier mention of 1.2.2.2 by 9a4wy however by that time I'd sold my SDS2304.

I'll get it from the factory and send it to you by email so PM me with your email address. Should be able to get it with a day or two.

Why doesn't Siglent provide old fw versions on their website?
They did in a hidden website that seems no longer available.  :-//
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline gman76

• Contributor
« Reply #243 on: January 03, 2021, 01:36:19 am »
I just tried 1.2.2.2R19 and the scope didnt take it, displayed "Does not Match Product Type".

• Super Contributor
« Reply #244 on: January 03, 2021, 01:40:18 am »
I just tried 1.2.2.2R19 and the scope didnt take it, displayed "Does not Match Product Type".
Correct.
It's for SDS2000X models NOT SDS2000 !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline gman76

• Contributor
« Reply #245 on: January 03, 2021, 01:48:55 am »
 OK, thanks.  I must be misread your post on Nov 23 ...
"New FW versions for SDS2000 and SDS2000X"

• Super Contributor
« Reply #246 on: January 03, 2021, 02:01:23 am »
OK, thanks.  I must be misread your post on Nov 23 ...
"New FW versions for SDS2000 and SDS2000X"
Sorry for that and the link provided would have been for firmware for both models where you would select the firmware to match your scope.
Yes damn nuisance when links no longer work. Websites have changed much over the years.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Offline rf-loop

• Super Contributor
  • Born in Finland with DLL21 in hand
« Reply #247 on: January 03, 2021, 05:31:53 am »
Here  FW 1.2.2.2  for SDS2000
Note, at this time FW files was mostly .rar not .zip as mostly today. First read all 3 pdf included in package. For update use empty, max 8G USB flash, single partition, formatted as genuine FAT32 with cluster size 4k. Update file placed to root. Overall these works best least with bit older Siglent instruments.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 02:41:54 pm by rf-loop »
BEV of course. Cars with smoke exhaust pipes - go to museum. In Finland quite all electric power is made using nuclear, wind, solar and water.

Wises must compel the mad barbarians to stop their crimes against humanity. Where have the (strong)wises gone?

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline gman76

• Contributor
« Reply #248 on: January 03, 2021, 11:24:03 pm »
rf-loop, thanks for the link but are you saying it's no longer active?  Or are we supposed to fill in the xxxx blanks?  :-//
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 11:39:11 pm by gman76 »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #249 on: January 04, 2021, 12:28:50 am »
rf-loop, thanks for the link but are you saying it's no longer active?  Or are we supposed to fill in the xxxx blanks?  :-//
I grabbed from rf-loops link so if you want a copy send me your email via PM and I'll shoot it through to you.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf