Author Topic: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes  (Read 666272 times)

Offline TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Siglent SDS1104X-E and SDS1204X-E Mixed Signal Oscilloscopes
« Reply #2575 on: July 01, 2024, 05:35:06 pm »
Should be easy enough to test - just take an 'upgraded' scope and revert it back to 100MHz BW, then apply FW update and see what is reported.  I may try this later this afternoon if nobody else has done it by then.

Whatever this comment means, I doubt Siglent just turned all their 1104 models into 1204 models...
Considering that this update adds all the options as standard, I don't see why the bandwidth option would be different.
It's one thing to make the optional accessories standard features, but I would think it's another to basically make the SDS1204X-E redundant by upgrading all existing SDS1104X-E's into 1204's?

Perhaps the release of the new SDS800X HD series means that Siglent is delisting the SDS1004X-E series?  Or that they will delist the 1104 and only keep the 1204 model?  Interesting possibilities...   I got busy today and ran out of time to test this on my 'upgraded' 1104 - I'll put that on the list for tomorrow just to satisfy my curiosity.
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PICt

Offline Zoli

• Frequent Contributor
  • Grumpy old men
« Reply #2576 on: July 01, 2024, 06:20:28 pm »
Should be easy enough to test - just take an 'upgraded' scope and revert it back to 100MHz BW, then apply FW update and see what is reported.  I may try this later this afternoon if nobody else has done it by then.

Whatever this comment means, I doubt Siglent just turned all their 1104 models into 1204 models...
Considering that this update adds all the options as standard, I don't see why the bandwidth option would be different.
It's one thing to make the optional accessories standard features, but I would think it's another to basically make the SDS1204X-E redundant by upgrading all existing SDS1104X-E's into 1204's?

Perhaps the release of the new SDS800X HD series means that Siglent is delisting the SDS1004X-E series?  Or that they will delist the 1104 and only keep the 1204 model?  Interesting possibilities...   I got busy today and ran out of time to test this on my 'upgraded' 1104 - I'll put that on the list for tomorrow just to satisfy my curiosity.
My point is that this update keep the model#, and only upgrade the bandwidth; I consider this update unofficial EOL.

Offline TomKatt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2577 on: July 01, 2024, 06:35:16 pm »
My point is that this update keep the model#, and only upgrade the bandwidth; I consider this update unofficial EOL.
I just 'downgraded' my SDS1104X-E back to stock 100MHz (Product Type reverted to SDS1104X-E) and installed the new V6.1.37R17 FW.  Scope still identifies as an 1104.  Sending MCBD? yields the code associated with 100MHz (same as it displayed when stock).

Is there any way to verify bandwidth if I don't have a 200 MHz clock or signal generator?  It seems like Siglent would have made a bigger announcement if they had magically upgraded everyone's 1104 into a 200 MHz SDS1204X-E...  I am now thinking that whatever Siglent meant by 'Optimize Bandwidth', it does not mean they upgraded the 1104 models to 200MHz.

Edit - and while getting the LA and AWG for free is a nice EOL gift, I'd be a little upset if I had paid for a 200MHz SDS1204X-E only to learn that Siglent gave that away to everyone for free...

Edit 2 - a free 100MHz upgrade to 200MHz doesn’t do a lot when you’ve got 100 MHz probes…. I don’t expect that most people buying an entry level scope go on to purchase higher end probes.  When you factor in the cost of better probes, the price gap between models is reduced.  I upgraded my SDS804X HD to an SDS824X HD primarily for the additional memory - even 70 MHz is sufficient for most of the work that I do.  But I did purchase some ProbeMaster 150MHz probes because they have a very large number of accessories available that makes my life a lot easier troubleshooting automated equipment on our plant floor.

Edit 3 - 'Options' menu that displays optional LA+AWG licenses no longer appears in the Utils menu, confirming that Siglent has made them standard features.  But I understand they recently raised the price of the modules themselves to recoup that money.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2024, 02:44:59 pm by TomKatt »
Several Species of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together in a Cave and Grooving with a PICt

Offline Calambres

• Frequent Contributor
    • Piso-Tones
« Reply #2578 on: July 01, 2024, 06:35:46 pm »
... I consider this update unofficial EOL.

I'm afraid you're right!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2024, 06:37:23 pm by Calambres »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf