Author Topic: clamp meter with option to measure current via test leads?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline koniuTopic starter

clamp meter with option to measure current via test leads?
« on: July 09, 2017, 05:02:14 pm »
Hi meterheads, a leisure/houseboat electrician, a long term peruser and first time poster here.

On a crazy quest to carry as few tools as possible I'm looking for an affordable test tool that would allow easy measuring of current with a clamp but also more precise current tests with probes. 

The basic features required are:
- DC current clamp up to 400A minimum
- DC current test leads up to 10A minimum
- continuity buzzer
- standard DMM features (AC/DC voltage, resistance, etc)
- not mad expensive

Nice to haves:
- Hz
- automotive functions
- backlight
- RMS
- NCV
- torches

Basically I would like something like Uni-T UT216C (or D) but with an option to measure current via probes. As an alternative, could a reliable DMM with a probe attachment be an option?

Thanks for any pointers or recommendations!

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: clamp meter with option to measure current via test leads?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 05:20:26 pm »
Basically I would like something like Uni-T UT216C (or D) but with an option to measure current via probes

For small currents, just make a double-ended multimeter probe lead and pass it through the clamp.

For large currents, well ... use a clamp. There's a good reason why must multimeters stop at 10A (and even then it's only for a very limited time, eg. 10s)

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/hear-kitty-kitty-kitty-nope-not-that-kind-of-cat/msg1252354/#msg1252354

As an alternative, could a reliable DMM with a probe attachment be an option?

There are multimeters with clamp option, yes.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 01:53:11 pm by Fungus »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf