Author Topic: Tek CSA7404/TDS7000 repair project (Upgraded memory/CPU)  (Read 302385 times)

Offline coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
Re: Tek CSA7404/TDS7000 repair project (Upgraded memory/CPU)
« Reply #875 on: Today at 06:10:46 pm »
front panel error is driver related  ... 

as for slow windows boot times,    you can remove start up programs / garbage / some services too

because windows sometimes try to initialize  lan before the other peripherals, and if you still have an ide drive  ...  a 2.5" is sluggish vs an 3.5" unless you are in the 7200 rpm for both

for sure our 7404 is not fast on boot, i did push the fastest cpu (doubled the speed)   i could find and max the ram amount

the su810 or Radisys   can do 1.2 -1.3 gig celeron cpu, if you find the right fsb 100 speed multiplier,  and i paid the cpu 25$ delivered ... they are not too pricey, be careful on the heatsink manipulations, you can break the top cpu die ...

for ram on the Radisys the mobo was very picky,  i mixed a 100 speed and 133 speed to max 512MB,  but it's not a problem, since they run at 100 speed

front panel need a driver
touch screen is normally an HID peripheral, did not ask driver in my case, but may need one ...
power pc board need a driver  .....

but if in the end all is working ... and you did not pay a fortune in the end ...

Offline hazelnutsky

• Contributor
Re: Tek CSA7404/TDS7000 repair project (Upgraded memory/CPU)
« Reply #876 on: Today at 06:32:41 pm »
Turns out the front panel was fixed by moving some jumpers about. RP104.

The slow(er) speed at start-up was caused by the DRAM module, even though both DRAM modules are marked 100MHz CL2.

I have a spare SSD I could put in with Windows 98, but for now the NLX part of the 7404 is working fine, CD, Floppy, touch screen, calibration looks good, even though it complains about an error. Only issue now is the edge trigger on CH1 and CH2.

The motherboard cam very well packed from USA, £100 for the board, and another £100 to cover postage and taxes. I wonder if it was worth it just to have the RTC working though.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf