Author Topic: R&S CMU200 GSM test features  (Read 2569 times)

Offline sorenkirTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
R&S CMU200 GSM test features
« on: March 25, 2017, 02:10:03 pm »
Hi all,

Just out of curiosity, I would like to try the GSM test features of my CMU200.

I have tried to connect to a venerable Nokia 3310 with a test SIM card (http://www.ebay.com/itm/111602671512) following the guidelines at
p. 2.14 of Operating Manual / Software Options: GSM400/GT800/850/900/1800/1900-MS for CMU-B21 (found there http://www3.rohde-schwarz.com/www/FileTranCS.nsf/alias/SR003M?OpenDocument ) with no success.
The manual says to connect the RF input RF2 to the antenna connector of the mobile. As the 3310 has no antenna connector, I have just put a small antenna on the RF2 connector of the CMU200.

No matter what I try (GSM900, GSM1800, another phone, etc.), I cannot manage to connect to the mobile. Nothing happens on the Nokia, it does not see any network and does not receive any call.

Does anyone has ever tried this (maybe the default configuration needs to be modified) ?
Is this test SIM card OK ?
Is a direct cable connection required ?

Thanks,
Michel.

Offline richnormand

• Supporter
Re: R&S CMU200 GSM test features
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 06:09:22 pm »
I did exactly what you proposed with a small whip antenna and the same sims card in my old Nokia and Blackberry.

After much exploration with signaling and non-signalling modes, RF power, layers of menues and following the R&S instruction with no results I decided to run the full self-test on the CMU200 for all combination of input/output settings.
Found out the RxTx module was not putting any or hardly any RF power in several bands.

Similar results for the old Motorola CDMA analog phone too.

You can find my postings in the "repairs" segment of the forum for the RxTx module.

It now works well by putting the phone right next to the antenna. The real test is by connecting the antenna test connector inside the phone to the CMU200 by a cable.

Hope that helps. Best of luck.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 06:13:36 pm by richnormand »
Repair, Renew, Reuse, Recycle, Rebuild, Reduce, Recover, Repurpose, Restore, Refurbish, Recondition, Renovate

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf